**Official USMNT Soccer Thread**

Good to see the lads go in to the half with an (essentially) 1-nil lead.

We're getting ****** on possession as expected but the backline has held it together for the most part

Wow just watched the highlights, that goal by Jozy and the second one by Deuce were both pretty nasty...

Like someone mentioned earlier, I hope this play carries over to our WCQ matches.

The Hypervenom sighting on Deuce was dope too!

I swear the USMNT fans are the most chicken little type fans out there.

Not just on here but generally speaking, overreact to every negative result and run of bad form, brush off anything positive as utterly insignificant. 
laugh.gif

*Waits for Jozy still sucks though*

Not just on here but generally speaking, overreact to every negative result and run of bad form, brush off anything positive as utterly insignificant. 
laugh.gif

I try to give you guys grief in the other soccer 'football' thread for not being all in with the USMNT

but the middle line is absolutely true 
laugh.gif
 me and my boys, everytime we talk about this team its pretty much just overreacting to anything bad and its the end of the world. If its positive, we remain skeptical.

I think its only fair to be this way though, until this program produces consistent results or players of sorts that we can be proud of.

Last edited by a moderator:

Not just on here but generally speaking, overreact to every negative result and run of bad form, brush off anything positive as utterly insignificant. :lol:

He is still trash, and so is most of the team. Nowhere in the world is a player considered good if he scores 2 goals in a 2 year span.

Being on a run of bad form would imply that the team is usually good (which it isn't). Sorry if I don't celebrate a 0-0 friendly against Mexico and a 4-3 friendly against Germany's C squad, in which one of the goals was a gift and in which the team almost collapsed after being up 4-1.

rck is spot on, if the US consistently pulled out these types of results, no one would be calling the team trash. That's a pretty obvious statement. Even then, the US only gets the few positive results based on pure luck and bad refereeing. It's silly to get excited, especially when you know that if they play like this when it matters, they will get destroyed

Last edited:
He is still trash, and so is most of the team. Nowhere in the world is a player considered good if he scores 2 goals in a 2 year span.

Being on a run of bad form would imply that the team is usually good (which it isn't). Sorry if I don't celebrate a 0-0 friendly against Mexico and a 4-3 friendly against Germany's C squad, in which one of the goals was a gift and in which the team almost collapsed after being up 4-1.

rck is spot on, if the US consistently pulled out these types of results, no one would be calling the team trash. That's a pretty obvious statement. Even then, the US only gets the few positive results based on pure luck and bad refereeing. It's silly to get excited, especially when you know that if they play like this when it matters, they will get destroyed
Not to mention that the US usually does well in the friendlies.  When it actually comes to real matches they can't get their ish together.  This friday they hit my beloved Reggae Boyz and their record against low and humble Jamaica is frightening for the USMNT's ranking.  If the past is anything to count on, they will draw.  Hopefully the Reggae boyz will win, it's been since 1998 that Jamaica has been to the world cup.  

Man some of you need a dose of reality. If we consistently got these type of results no one would be calling the team trash? If we were consistently getting these type of results we'd be a top 15-20 footballing nation in the world (and I don't mean FIFA rankings). We're not, get over it.

Maybe some of you guys just like ******** on your "team?" Maybe it's a undeserved pride thing, the average American sports fan can't cope with not being  elite? I honestly don't know.

It's funny you mention excitement, I look back on what I've seen with my own eyes in terms of the growth of the USMNT program over the course of the last twenty years and I literally get butterflies in my stomach thinking about what the long term future has in store, maybe the pessimist just don't see the bigger picture?

And a run of bad form doesn't imply that the team is usually good, that's your on inference, and I didn't say anybody should be celebrating anything.

As for Jozy, nowhere in the world is a player considered trash after scoring +30 goals in a season, nowhere in the world is the quality of a player determined by a two year stretch with his country. No one can argue that Jozy doesn't have areas to improve on (although anybody who's followed his career closely can see the vast improvements he's made in those areas), can't deny that he's been ineffective for country over the last 18 months, but I seriously have to question the knowledge and understanding of the game of anyone who actually thinks he's "trash" relative to any meaningful measure.  Even if Jozy were "trash" he'd still be the best out and out forward this country has ever produced (Sorry Brian). 

Dudes saying he's actually gotten adequate service, dudes saying he can't perform under pressure (as if they completely forgot his performances at the '10 WC or '09 Confederations Cup). 
laugh.gif

Last edited:
^^ All of this. Maybe people expect us to be on par with top European teams or South American teams.Truth be told there are a host of other "football" countries whose results, related to the overall talent and development pipelines, could be considered much more "disappointing" than the US over the recent past..see England. Hell even look at Mexico, they have a much stronger soccer culture than we do (and don't cite u-17 WCs and all b/c those don't mean squat in reality), and the US dominated Mexico in the late 90s and early 2000's, yeah Mex has been much better recently (even though they have yet to score a goal in WC qualifying). Listening to a lot of fans you'd think we failed to qualify for the WC since 94 and have never made it out of the group stage ever :lol:

Over 75% of his goals occurred when we have Landon on the field, you know the face of American Soccer over the last 10 yrs...so the point about only scoring twice in 2 years is laughable....Christiano Ronaldo scored 2 goals over 15 appearances in 2008 and 2009 for Portugal, Wayne Rooney in 2010 had 1 goal in 11 appearances for England. Jozy only had 12 appearances over the "2 yrs" people keep talking about where he's scored twice, so are they trash too?

And no I'm not saying JA is anywhere near the stratosphere as CR or Rooney as players, but the point remains that players have bad runs, even worse when they get limited service, and he's not even completely developed as he has things to work on in his game. Dude is 23 yrs old, relax.

^^ All of this. Maybe people expect us to be on par with top European teams or South American teams.Truth be told there are a host of other "football" countries whose results, related to the overall talent and development pipelines, could be considered much more "disappointing" than the US over the recent past..see England. Hell even look at Mexico, they have a much stronger soccer culture than we do (and don't cite u-17 WCs and all b/c those don't mean squat in reality), and the US dominated Mexico in the late 90s and early 2000's, yeah Mex has been much better recently (even though they have yet to score a goal in WC qualifying). Listening to a lot of fans you'd think we failed to qualify for the WC since 94 and have never made it out of the group stage ever :lol:

Over 75% of his goals occurred when we have Landon on the field, you know the face of American Soccer over the last 10 yrs...so the point about only scoring twice in 2 years is laughable....Christiano Ronaldo scored 2 goals over 15 appearances in 2008 and 2009 for Portugal, Wayne Rooney in 2010 had 1 goal in 11 appearances for England. Jozy only had 12 appearances over the "2 yrs" people keep talking about where he's scored twice, so are they trash too?

And no I'm not saying JA is anywhere near the stratosphere as CR or Rooney as players, but the point remains that players have bad runs, even worse when they get limited service, and he's not even completely developed as he has things to work on in his game. Dude is 23 yrs old, relax.

I don't know about Rooney, but Ronaldo was being trashed by the Portuguese people and media until he finally started scoring in Euro 12. Last year people in Lisbon were shouting "Messi! Messi!". He was getting booed in his own country during qualifiers. Hell even Messi was being criticized by Argentinians until recently. So that whole thing about players having 2 straight years of bad form and getting away with it isn't true.

and again with the Dutch League...we're talking about the US team and people keep bringing up the thousands of goals he scored for his club.

There's nothing wrong with being honest about a trash player and still liking him. Don't get why you guys make up all these excuses

and why should we not have high expectations? The US team has been decent before, so I'm not sure why it's acceptable for them to be regressing over the years.

Last edited:

Man some of you need a dose of reality. If we consistently got these type of results no one would be calling the team trash? If we were consistently getting these type of results we'd be a top 15-20 footballing nation in the world (and I don't mean FIFA rankings). We're not, get over it.

Maybe some of you guys just like ******** on your "team?" Maybe it's a undeserved pride thing, the average American sports fan can't cope with not being  elite? I honestly don't know.

It's funny you mention excitement, I look back on what I've seen with my own eyes in terms of the growth of the USMNT program over the course of the last twenty years and I literally get butterflies in my stomach thinking about what the long term future has in store, maybe the pessimist just don't see the bigger picture?

And a run of bad form doesn't imply that the team is usually good, that's your on inference, and I didn't say anybody should be celebrating anything.

As for Jozy, nowhere in the world is a player considered trash after scoring +30 goals in a season, nowhere in the world is the quality of a player determined by a two year stretch with his country. No one can argue that Jozy doesn't have areas to improve on (although anybody who's followed his career closely can see the vast improvements he's made in those areas), can't deny that he's been ineffective for country over the last 18 months, but I seriously have to question the knowledge and understanding of the game of anyone who actually thinks he's "trash" relative to any meaningful measure.  Even if Jozy were "trash" he'd still be the best out and out forward this country has ever produced (Sorry Brian). 

Dudes saying he's actually gotten adequate service, dudes saying he can't perform under pressure (as if they completely forgot his performances at the '10 WC or '09 Confederations Cup). :lol:

Well said, my friend. Well said.

Heard we got the result :D

I guess we got kinda lucky by the sounds of it :lol:

I tried staying up for this game but my jet lag is setting in and I wouldn't even know where/how to watch the game over here in the UK :lol:

wow. that's all i can say.

my heart and mind was 100% focused on the boston bruins tonight...but i caught the extra time goal. just wow :wow: :pimp:

Brad Evans, you legend. :pimp:

Four hours of sleep and now on my way to Seattle. Sounders/Whitecaps tonight. USMNT/Panama on Tuesday.

I'm gonna need a nap. :lol:

I'm bloody jealous mate! If I wasn't in Europe me and my boy were tryna make it to Seattle for the game as well. It was for naught :\

Struggling as we did against the Reggae Boyz (who have not been playing well) was not good. Evans pulling out that miracle shot in extra time & they way he handled the ball in the box was nice. Kudo's to Jozy. Hope this is the start of momentum because if he catches fire, he would carry the US team.

If Jamaica had better touch with the ball, they could've won 4-2. The speed that team has is unreal.

I don't know what you guys see in Omar Gonzalez. His fundamentals in playing defense are terrible for someone playing on that level. He ball watches like a teenager with ADD& caught out of position way too much. Then he does stupid things like not clearing the ball properly. I mean this is basic stuff... SMH...

High lights below.

First win ever in Jamaica :smokin We're sitting pretty for the hex...not all doom and gloom after all :lol:, plus 4 of our final 6 are at home where we are always tough

Back
Top Bottom