**Official USMNT Soccer Thread**

laugh.gif
 at that laser pointer being on Timmy the entire match

Damn im definitely hitting up Azteca next year again for the WCQ! Glad to get the monkey off our back.

Where's everyone at? Haven't posted in this thread in a minute lol

What a game. Cameron was solid. Tim Howard with HUGE saves.

History has been made :pimp:

Last edited:
Brek's moment leading up to the goal is exactly why he should always be in consideration for a meaningful call up. Completely putting the big picture aside, his ability to change a game in an instant is something only LD and Deuce really possess although Altidore and has been doing so for AZ, and luckily both Gatt and Gyau are exactly that kind of player.

As for the game, the defense played fantastic for the majority of the match even though team defending got lazy in the second half. Geoff Cameron is a stud, I wonder if the directors at Stoke City are done feeling themselves over what a good piece of business they did.

More than that I was surprised at how well he and Edu played together. Edu had a very good game in his own right, very few moments where he looked like a transplant CB and overall just solid.

Castillo was also very good particularly in the first half. His 1v1 defending is excellent, he's got all the tools but he needs to iron out the occasional mental lapse.

I'm happy I got to watch such a historic moment in US soccer, what an experience for the three young players who were involved leading up to the goal. :wow:

Last edited:
I am glad USA won............. Finally can get that monkey off our backs of not being able to win in Azteca... USA played horrible though... there was no tempo in our game and no movement in our midfield... They have to play better than what they did today, because the next game against Jamaica wont be easy...

Good win though 8)

The best way to keep him grounded is by calling him up to the National Team again? Missing London "messed him up"? Who cares? Get over it. There were 22 players and a dozen coaches who had to get over it. He should do the same.
Brek has NOT been performing well this season for FC Dallas. A club team that is near the bottom in the West of the MLS. I know our LM/ LW options are somewhat limited, but the last time I saw Brek in a USMNT shirt he underperformed. I know he's very talented. I know what he's capable of. But in my opinion, his play this year hasn't warranted a call up.
Say what you will about JK's tactics and motivational skills, but his roster decisions continue to baffle me.
Castillo still? He's proven he can't play at this level?
Where's Sacha?
Kyle Beckerman cannot play on this level. Yet he's one of JK's favs.
If nothing else can be learned from the Bradley years, it is that playing favorites can kill you. See John Bornstein vs. Mexico in the GC Final. See Rico Clark vs. Ghana in the WC Round of 16.
We have a legit core group of guys (Timmy, Michael, Landon, Clint, Jozy, Carlos*, Steve* and now I'd even add F. Johnson to that list) everyone else should be called in based on their current form and how well they mesh with the a fore mentioned.
That's my 2cents.
*old

You now what you are so right.

Brek didn't contribute one bit and Castillo God he was awful

Jurgen had no clue what he was doing with that backline

im guessing theres a lot of sarcasm in that post :lol:

let's not get too carried away. brek clearly has had a tough year. he played well tonight...but lets see some consistency. castillo was alright...but i thought the backline overall played pretty poorly in the first half. LOT of goofs. cameron had the nice head away in the 2nd half and played alright. but overall, it wasn't anything special.

end of the day though, it's a step forward. i don't think it's as big a step as alexi made it seem like, but it's a step forward. it's a confidence builder. this squad knows it can at least hang in one of the toughest away venues in the world.

Well, it proved to be sound decision making on Klinsi's part. All those Mexican leaguers he chose were composed the whole match. Didn't see the usual goofs in the back third except for Beckerman a few times. Cheers to their hard earned result. It was the perfect match to get it.

Chicharito, dog house.
indifferent.gif

Last edited:
The best way to keep him grounded is by calling him up to the National Team again? Missing London "messed him up"? Who cares? Get over it. There were 22 players and a dozen coaches who had to get over it. He should do the same.
Brek has NOT been performing well this season for FC Dallas. A club team that is near the bottom in the West of the MLS. I know our LM/ LW options are somewhat limited, but the last time I saw Brek in a USMNT shirt he underperformed. I know he's very talented. I know what he's capable of. But in my opinion, his play this year hasn't warranted a call up.
Say what you will about JK's tactics and motivational skills, but his roster decisions continue to baffle me.
Castillo still? He's proven he can't play at this level?
Where's Sacha?
Kyle Beckerman cannot play on this level. Yet he's one of JK's favs.
If nothing else can be learned from the Bradley years, it is that playing favorites can kill you. See John Bornstein vs. Mexico in the GC Final. See Rico Clark vs. Ghana in the WC Round of 16.
We have a legit core group of guys (Timmy, Michael, Landon, Clint, Jozy, Carlos*, Steve* and now I'd even add F. Johnson to that list) everyone else should be called in based on their current form and how well they mesh with the a fore mentioned.
That's my 2cents.
*old

Certainly glad I was wrong about Brek. I didn't think his current form in Dallas warranted a call up, but he was an amazing addition off of the bench. The build up to the goal was immaculate. He brings a lot to the table. I never said dude wasn't talented. In fact quite the contrary if you'd read my post a little closer. And I'd still take Eric Lichaj, Jon Spector and Captain Carlos over Edgar Castillo any day. Castillo is still in over his head at LB at this level. Sorry.

Cameron was very solid at the back. Timmy was amazing as usual (Man of the Match?). Mo was okay out of the back. Fabien Johnson was solid as always. Torres didn't make much of an impact playing in the gap - looking forward to seeing Deuce in that role playing behind Jozy and Boyd possibly?? :smile:

:wow: :wow: :wow: @ this win. HUGE!! Great day for US Soccer. Can't wait to see that A-side @ Jamaica next month. Keep this momentum going!!

Last edited:
Next time the bar owner starts passing out trays of shots to celebrate the win, somebody remind me that it's Wednesday night.

This 9AM meeting is about to be a problem.

Still buzzing off the W, tho. :pimp:

Maybe it's just me and my pessimism but I just didn't see this as a big win. Its a WC Friendly....tons of subs....no Dos Santos....I guess its good to win no matter what but OMG USA MAKES HISTORY IN MEXICO.....eh its a friendly

And I would not praise Brek at all. All I can praise him for is confidence. He dribbled right at the defender who did a terrrrrrribbblllee job on the corner of the box. He then took a clumsy touch got the ball through the middle to what ever the tall young kids name is...he miss hits a back heel that he was obv trying to score and then the defender on the back post throws a leg at it and it some how hits it and goes in.

A goal is a goal and all but in a friendly i look for growth as far as play is concerned. I saw none of that. If this game counted i wouldn't care at all id be on the EFFF YOU MEXICO WHOOOOO bandwagon. But we didn't look good at all the entire game.

But like always....Thank you HowardGod. That man deserves all the praise he gets and more.

Maybe it's just me and my pessimism but I just didn't see this as a big win. Its a WC Friendly....tons of subs....no Dos Santos....I guess its good to win no matter what but OMG USA MAKES HISTORY IN MEXICO.....eh its a friendly

And I would not praise Brek at all. All I can praise him for is confidence. He dribbled right at the defender who did a terrrrrrribbblllee job on the corner of the box. He then took a clumsy touch got the ball through the middle to what ever the tall young kids name is...he miss hits a back heel that he was obv trying to score and then the defender on the back post throws a leg at it and it some how hits it and goes in.

A goal is a goal and all but in a friendly i look for growth as far as play is concerned. I saw none of that. If this game counted i wouldn't care at all id be on the EFFF YOU MEXICO WHOOOOO bandwagon. But we didn't look good at all the entire game.

But like always....Thank you HowardGod. That man deserves all the praise he gets and more.

I agree that its just a friendly but it does mean something to have that little mental hurdle gone that you haven't/can't win down there at Azteca...and not sure we could've expected to see growth in that type of situation with a few Euro based guys coming off preseason and mostly MLS/Liga MX players having 2 days to acclimate to 7,000ft altitude, those guys were gassed and had oxygen tanks in the lockerroom :lol: Plus the team was missing 5 influential starters, take the good from it: Cameron looked very composed and makde a lot of smart plays that don't go into highlights, he should slot in next to Boca, Fab Johnson needs to play LB he's got a chance to be a GREAT player over there, RB he hurts us at two spots even though he's more than servicable there, and Timmy is a boss.

But take a look at the replay of the goal, yeah Shea had a bad touch after the initial move, but he still was composed enough to slot it over, and Boyd looked back at Orozco before and after he did the backheel , he knew he was there and it was intentional that Mex defender did a horrible job trying to cover behind the keeper and not step up to cover him, and he took it well. Its not a WC iwin against them, but its good to have the 1st win out of the way and could be a little confidence boost to some guys

Back
Top Bottom