Lucky @!% goal for AUS
laugh.gif
Keeper shouldve handled that easy.
smh.gif

Wow...AUS is done
eek.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

Good game so far between Ghana & Australia. Good penalty call by the ref. Nothing Australia should be complaining about
Tell that to the Australian media and commentators that I'm listening to right now
laugh.gif

Penalty was deserved, maybe Red was a bit harsh...but can't deny the handball.

I guess you're in Australia? I don't blame Australians for being upset, but it was the correct call. He was the sole defender who could've prevented that goal and even though it wasn't completely intentional, his arms were out (not against his body) therefore red card was the only thing that shoul've been given.

yeup...dudes are crushed right now, lol.

Looking back at the replay, i think the ref was justified in giving a red.

Commentators and analysts are actually more annoyed that the tackle on Bresciano wasn't only a Red...dudes are heated that it was only a yellow.

Harsh for 'arry, but ultimately his arm prevented the ball from going in... nothing else the ref coulda done.

Entertaining game though, I gotta say. Ghana's just letting it fly from 30 yards out, while the Ozzies have had some decent chances as well.

Originally Posted by engoi

Unfortunate for Japan.Some goalkeepers really need extra coaching.
And why Elia only for the last minutes ?

no need for extra coachin in this case, that shot from wes' would of been a hard save for any keeper...except of course for oliver khan, that #$%^* was a beast tho!
laugh.gif

my boy andre 'dede' ayew is lookin pretty impressive for ghana, definitely one of the top african performers so far.

k1tlyd.jpg

I don't know, I have a feeling Ghana may have just eliminated themselves from the competition by not being able to finish their opportunities today. They play Germany on Wednesday while Australia plays Serbia. Not looking too good for either team.

Striker Anelka dismissed by French
Email Print
Associated Press
KNYSNA, South Africa -- Striker Nicolas Anelka was thrown off France's World Cup squad Saturday after reportedly insulting coach Raymond Domenech.

French Football Federation vice president Noel Le Graet told France's RTL radio the decision was made Saturday after Anelka refused to apologize.

The Chelsea striker reportedly made obscene comments to Domenech at halftime during the 2-0 loss to Mexico on Thursday.

"Faced by the refusal of the player to publicly apologize, he [FFF president Jean-Pierre Escalettes] took the decision in total agreement with the coach and the official members of the delegation present in Knysna to exclude Nicolas Anelka from the squad," the FFF said in a statement. "He will leave the French team camp this evening."

France's team page
For more about Les Bleus and their chances in South Africa this summer, click here.
The FFF said France captain Patrice Evra was also present with Escalettes when the decision was taken.

Two unconvincing performances in the 0-0 draw with Uruguay and against Mexico had observers such as former France defender Bixente Lizarazu furious at Anelka's casual attitude.

"What bothers me is Nicolas Anelka's performance in the first half. I saw a player strolling ... strolling in the World Cup!" Lizarazu said. "He wasn't aggressive, wasn't interested in the game. Domenech took him off at the break, but should have done so before. You shouldn't play in a selfish manner, you have to show you're up for it."

To other observers, Anelka was never mature enough to take part in a major tournament in the first place.

Like Eric Cantona before him, Anelka will now be known as one of France's most talented but enigmatic players. Cantona, who once kicked a spectator in England, also spent time in limbo after insulting France coach Henri Michel live on television after he was dropped for a friendly match against Czechoslovakia in 1988.

Cantona's tirade against Michel kept him off the France squad until Michel Platini recalled him a year later, while Anelka had an even longer spell out.

Anelka scored twice in a stunning performance against England way back in 1999, but then refused to play under Jacques Santini and spent three years off the national team until Domenech called him back up in November 2005.

Six months later, Domenech snubbed him for the 2006 squad. But Anelka seemed to have put that behind him when he scored a deflected goal at Ireland in the World Cup playoff last November.

French sports minister Roselyne Bachelot says the "huge pressure" on the French players because of the team's poor results is not an excuse for poor behavior.

"The players must keep in mind that they are wearing France's colors and are considered to be role models by many youngsters," Bachelot said in a statement. "This obliges them to show restraint and dignity."

Anelka's expulsion followed newspaper allegations that midfielder Yoann Gourcuff is an unpopular figure on the squad and that defender William Gallas is upset with Domenech for giving the captain's armband to Evra.

Only a handful of French players spoke to the media after the Mexico defeat left France staring at elimination four years after losing to Italy in the World Cup final.

France needs to beat South Africa convincingly Tuesday, and hope Mexico and Uruguay don't draw their final game, to have any chance of qualifying for the second round.

"We deserve the criticism," France midfielder Jeremy Toulalan said Friday. "Despite what was said, I think there were a lot of supporters who had hope. We owe it to ourselves to fight for these people."

Gallas is refusing to speak to reporters for the duration of the competition, while Franck Ribery, Anelka and Thierry Henry -- all mainstays of the team -- have also not spoken so far.

Toulalan, one of only a few players to speak after the Mexico match, fears the team is now a collection of individual talents with no camaraderie whatsoever. He added that "everyone has to do their own self-analysis" and that things will only improve if "everyone is honest [with themselves] and understands what they did or did not do."

Toulalan would not talk about squabbles within the squad.

Some reports have alleged that Gourcuff sometimes eats alone at the dinner table, and that Ribery and Anelka do not like him and pressured Domenech to drop him against Mexico.

Gourcuff was replaced by Florent Malouda, and did not play in the match.

In the opening game against Uruguay, Anelka had a clear chance to pass to the unguarded Gourcuff during the first half but chose not to. Gourcuff threw his arms up in the air.

Toulalan, a close friend of Gourcuff, said players should always behave professionally, no matter what their differences.

"We can't all be the best friends in the world," Toulalan said. "But there's no way I'm going to go out on the pitch with the idea that I'm not going to pass to this player or that player."

Gourcuff said after the Mexico defeat he was being made a scapegoat for the team's inability to score goals.

"It has been a collective failure over the two games. Football is hard when you can't play together," Gourcuff said. "Perhaps I have paid the price, I don't know. I've not had any explanations."

A win is a win even in the ugliest of matches. We played sloppy and were extremely fortunate to come away with 3 points. Japan had a great chance to equalize in the 90th minute but couldn't convert and to our advantage we did just enough to win. Again not the pretty game we would like to see but we advance to the knockout stage nonetheless.

HUP HOLLAND

Originally Posted by Fear The Ibis

Striker Anelka dismissed by French
Email Print
Associated Press
KNYSNA, South Africa -- Striker Nicolas Anelka was thrown off France's World Cup squad Saturday after reportedly insulting coach Raymond Domenech.

French Football Federation vice president Noel Le Graet told France's RTL radio the decision was made Saturday after Anelka refused to apologize.

The Chelsea striker reportedly made obscene comments to Domenech at halftime during the 2-0 loss to Mexico on Thursday.

"Faced by the refusal of the player to publicly apologize, he [FFF president Jean-Pierre Escalettes] took the decision in total agreement with the coach and the official members of the delegation present in Knysna to exclude Nicolas Anelka from the squad," the FFF said in a statement. "He will leave the French team camp this evening."

France's team page
For more about Les Bleus and their chances in South Africa this summer, click here.
The FFF said France captain Patrice Evra was also present with Escalettes when the decision was taken.

Two unconvincing performances in the 0-0 draw with Uruguay and against Mexico had observers such as former France defender Bixente Lizarazu furious at Anelka's casual attitude.

"What bothers me is Nicolas Anelka's performance in the first half. I saw a player strolling ... strolling in the World Cup!" Lizarazu said. "He wasn't aggressive, wasn't interested in the game. Domenech took him off at the break, but should have done so before. You shouldn't play in a selfish manner, you have to show you're up for it."

To other observers, Anelka was never mature enough to take part in a major tournament in the first place.

Like Eric Cantona before him, Anelka will now be known as one of France's most talented but enigmatic players. Cantona, who once kicked a spectator in England, also spent time in limbo after insulting France coach Henri Michel live on television after he was dropped for a friendly match against Czechoslovakia in 1988.

Cantona's tirade against Michel kept him off the France squad until Michel Platini recalled him a year later, while Anelka had an even longer spell out.

Anelka scored twice in a stunning performance against England way back in 1999, but then refused to play under Jacques Santini and spent three years off the national team until Domenech called him back up in November 2005.

Six months later, Domenech snubbed him for the 2006 squad. But Anelka seemed to have put that behind him when he scored a deflected goal at Ireland in the World Cup playoff last November.

French sports minister Roselyne Bachelot says the "huge pressure" on the French players because of the team's poor results is not an excuse for poor behavior.

"The players must keep in mind that they are wearing France's colors and are considered to be role models by many youngsters," Bachelot said in a statement. "This obliges them to show restraint and dignity."

Anelka's expulsion followed newspaper allegations that midfielder Yoann Gourcuff is an unpopular figure on the squad and that defender William Gallas is upset with Domenech for giving the captain's armband to Evra.

Only a handful of French players spoke to the media after the Mexico defeat left France staring at elimination four years after losing to Italy in the World Cup final.

France needs to beat South Africa convincingly Tuesday, and hope Mexico and Uruguay don't draw their final game, to have any chance of qualifying for the second round.

"We deserve the criticism," France midfielder Jeremy Toulalan said Friday. "Despite what was said, I think there were a lot of supporters who had hope. We owe it to ourselves to fight for these people."

Gallas is refusing to speak to reporters for the duration of the competition, while Franck Ribery, Anelka and Thierry Henry -- all mainstays of the team -- have also not spoken so far.

Toulalan, one of only a few players to speak after the Mexico match, fears the team is now a collection of individual talents with no camaraderie whatsoever. He added that "everyone has to do their own self-analysis" and that things will only improve if "everyone is honest [with themselves] and understands what they did or did not do."

Toulalan would not talk about squabbles within the squad.

Some reports have alleged that Gourcuff sometimes eats alone at the dinner table, and that Ribery and Anelka do not like him and pressured Domenech to drop him against Mexico.

Gourcuff was replaced by Florent Malouda, and did not play in the match.

In the opening game against Uruguay, Anelka had a clear chance to pass to the unguarded Gourcuff during the first half but chose not to. Gourcuff threw his arms up in the air.

Toulalan, a close friend of Gourcuff, said players should always behave professionally, no matter what their differences.

"We can't all be the best friends in the world," Toulalan said. "But there's no way I'm going to go out on the pitch with the idea that I'm not going to pass to this player or that player."

Gourcuff said after the Mexico defeat he was being made a scapegoat for the team's inability to score goals.

"It has been a collective failure over the two games. Football is hard when you can't play together," Gourcuff said. "Perhaps I have paid the price, I don't know. I've not had any explanations."

laugh.gif
I never like Anelka

Anelka is a +$!+$#! $%#@.

My least favorite player in any sport.
BTW, group-scenarios post updated for Group D results. 

This has been one of those WCs where most predictions are way off.
It might be too soon to tell who the clear favorites are but thus far Argentina have looked well. Although they need to make some adjustments to their starting XI because Jonas doesn't defend. He pushes up too much leaving them exposed in the back. Zanetti was the ideal player for the spot Jonas is occupying.
Also Uruguay and Mexico have played well. Some are talking of a pre-match agreement to settle for the draw, but that wouldn't be in Mexico's best interest considering that would entail a round of 16 clash with Argentina. Not to say Mexico can't beat them but if we can avoid meeting them at such an early stage and get the likes of a say a S Korea, why not?
I expect good things from Chile as well, can't wait to see their next game.
As far as European teams, logic would tell you Spain will bounce back and I believe they will. They're too skilled, talented and organized not to get out of this group.
Then we have the likes of Brazil who have the least attracting style of play by a Brazilian team in recent years. They are results based and that's how Dunga is playing them. I just don't seeing them losing for the simple reason that they just know how to win. Against smaller countries they'll look to attack them and maybe get caught once or twice on a counter. Even then the smaller countries don't capitalize on opportunities like that against the likes of a Brazil, the big stage gets to them. Brazil will likely sit back a bit and counter against the power houses i.e. Germany, Holland, Argentina and it will work because Brazil wakes up for the big boys. They remind me of Mexico in one way, they play to the level of their opponent. The stronger the rival the better they play.
And lastly, USA. Although they got cheated of a win yesterday I believe in this team and think they have enough fire power to get through to the next round. Buddle should also get some more playing time.

Terrible pass by that defender
laugh.gif
I wish I could be in the mind of that goalie when he saw the ball roll in front of Eto'o's foot. Find out how many times a man can cuss in his head in a matter of seconds.

Yeah that wa sa fantastic goal by Denmark. Cameroon looks like crap on defense a good portion of the time, but this game is good so far

Oh my god that was two close calls. This game is turning into a GREAT game.

And as I type this Cameroon almost scores again!

Originally Posted by Breakyaneck3000

Originally Posted by engoi

Unfortunate for Japan.Some goalkeepers really need extra coaching.
And why Elia only for the last minutes ?

there is no reason to risk injury or getting one of their best subs carded.  especially when their objective is to defend the lead. 

on another note, can't deal with the hypnotic sound of the vuvuzelas?  http://lifehacker.com/556...rom-world-cup-broadcasts
But the Netherlands wants always play attractive and offensive and not winning through defensive games.
Diversified and spectacular game between Denmark and Cameroun.
smokin.gif

Back
Top Bottom