Officially Retired from sneakers

It may not be literally a “culture” if you use a strict definition of that word. But when someone calls themselves a sneakerhead, you know what they mean by that. You have a decent idea what kinda sneakers they’re into.

Almost everybody in the world wears sneakers of some kind. So it doesn’t make sense to say 99.99% of earth’s population is a part of sneaker culture.

Whether you like it or not, this “culture” or “hobby” or “community” is literally defined by the sneakers that are both coveted AND exclusive.

Think about it. Designer sneakers are super expensive but not traditionally considered a part of sneaker culture. And Vans, Chucks, Sambas, Pandas are all super popular but people who only wear those are not considered sneakerheads

I’ll say the essence of sneaker culture is pretty much any FCFS sneaker release. You still get a taste of it today a bit, but most major foot stores have reservation systems so it’s been lost.

Everyone is usually out and about dressed up in their best fits and kicks ready to cop the latest release. Plus you can usually make good memories/conversations with those you’re in line with.

So to an extent, maybe sneaker commerce, but I still feel there’s a lot that go into it. rainking rainking

Last edited:
Yeah. Of course I know what you guys are talking about and saying, and what people generally seem to define as sneaker culture. I just, when I think about it, don’t truly see it as an accurate term, but rather a type of consumer good that has a lot of people who like to buy it. If I collect model race cars, and a lot of other people do, too, I wouldn’t call that “model culture.” I just call it a hobby.
Didn’t mean to start a whole thing about this, btw :rofl:
But it’s kinda interesting when you start to consider what that term really means.
That said, I’ve never had any idea what “being in the shoe game” means other than, “I like to buy shoes.” Cool, but I don’t go around saying I’m “in the food game” because I go grocery shopping even more than I go sneaker shopping …

I think sneaker culture originates from the wanting of sneakers as a community, it comes from the demand of sneakers that we share as whole including the next generations to come. I think having a "community" or even noticing one in general can impact desire for sneakers. Everyone is different not everyone believes in the sneaker "community" now and days everyone chooses their own sneakers back in my day everyone knew which sneaker were the hottest and everyone wanted them. It was like a trend in the community. to each his/her own

I think the biggest difference that happened in the last say 10-15 years, is its now more focused on reselling than actual people that have a love for shoes. 20 years ago people resold but most were here bc they love shoes. Now you have all these cornballs going to sneaker conventions and saying "how much for the table?" Don't get me wrong I buys pairs solely to flip, but I love sneakers first and foremost.

I think the biggest difference that happened in the last say 10-15 years, is its now more focused on reselling than actual people that have a love for shoes. 20 years ago people resold but most were here bc they love shoes. Now you have all these cornballs going to sneaker conventions and saying "how much for the table?" Don't get me wrong I buys pairs solely to flip, but I love sneakers first and foremost.

That was a big part of my point. I know I’m being somewhat pedantic but that’s why I said it’s not a culture in most ways. Car culture, as just one example, is a thing (that I’m involved in) where there are people getting together regularly to appreciate and drive cars, and lots of other stuff around it. No one is really doing that with shoes. Because they’re just shoes. It’s a fashion preference more than anything. It’s clothing at the end of the day. And people buying and selling. I’ve done that, too. That’s why I see it as a hobby and commerce rather than a culture. For most people who call it a culture, it’s really just consumerism to an amped-up degree.

That was a big part of my point. I know I’m being somewhat pedantic but that’s why I said it’s not a culture in most ways. Car culture, as just one example, is a thing (that I’m involved in) where there are people getting together regularly to appreciate and drive cars, and lots of other stuff around it. No one is really doing that with shoes. Because they’re just shoes. It’s a fashion preference more than anything. It’s clothing at the end of the day. And people buying and selling. I’ve done that, too. That’s why I see it as a hobby and commerce rather than a culture. For most people who call it a culture, it’s really just consumerism to an amped-up degree.
Yeah I get your point and you have a very solid argument. Outside conventions, there's not much sneakerheads can gather over, and even with conventions, it's usually a bunch of cornball resellers acting goofy doing mystery boxes and buying entire tables 🤡🤡🤡.

As I've said in previous comments, I've looked at my collection recently and felt a bit overwhelmed by how many pairs I have. I don't need em all and a lot haven't even been worn yet. I do have pairs that I bought to flip, like WC 3s/BC 4s etc, but I also have a lot of personal pairs that I plan to keep and wear. However, I'm able to find pairs that I'm willing to let go of. I've been purging a lot of Lebrons, and trying to move some Kobes. Certain pairs just don't have that "allure" like they once did, and honestly, it's really hard for me to support Lebron presently. It's a main reason I've been moving Lebrons. I have a few that won't be going anywhere, but I've moved quite a bit since last November.

I'm just at a point where I've gotten most stuff I've been hunting, and there's not much I really need or even want at this point. A few pairs I'm still after are: OG Hare 7s, Nike Air Maestro 3, an Original pair (1995) Shaqnosis, OG Columbia 11s (I have a size thats half too small), and that's about it. I'm thinking more about investments at this point and putting money in places where it can grow. I honestly don't even need to be buying any old pairs I listed until I restore a hefty pile of kicks I already have (OG 7s, OG 11s, etc.). I think at some point it's wise to call it quits on buying anything more and just enjoy what we have. I see these guys on IG pushing 500 plus pairs and honestly, I think that's a sickness, even if they can afford it. It ain't a hobby at that point.

I think the love is still there for most of us, but it’s just overshadowed by whatever is going on these days. I just stay away from things like conventions, and have even stopped going into a lot of these foot stores, other than DSG for a buy online pickup in store purchase. I’m already in that “get off my lawn” mentality, but the love for sneakers can’t be broken.

As I've said in previous comments, I've looked at my collection recently and felt a bit overwhelmed by how many pairs I have. I don't need em all and a lot haven't even been worn yet. I'm just at a point where I've gotten most stuff I've been hunting, and there's not much I really need or even want at this point.

I feel you LOL. I don't know exactly how many pairs I have right now, but it's more than 100 and less than 150. And that's after I've unloaded dozens and dozens of pairs in the past five years. And it's still stressful sometimes. And I know it's a waste most of the time anymore, but it just makes me happy to buy certain pairs. Always will. But I can say that after all these years, I am now able to skip things that once upon a time would have been unimaginable to me. Like the SJ lows that just dropped. If there's something that bothers me about the way Nike or JB does a shoe, I just save my money even if that shoe is one of my all-time favorites.

Last edited:
I don’t know how many times I told myself this is the last pair though.

I’m never going to retire, but definitely can be more selective.

I feel you LOL. I don't know exactly how many pairs I have right now, but it's more than 100 and less than 150. And that's after I've unloaded dozens and dozens of pairs in the past five years. And it's still stressful sometimes. And I know it's a waste most of the time anymore, but it just makes me happy to buy certain pairs. Always will. But I can say that after all these years, I am now able to skip things that once upon a time would have been unimaginable to me. Like the SJ lows that just dropped. If there's something that bothers me about the way Nike or JB does a shoe, I just save my money even if that shoe is one of my all-time favorites.
Yeah I think I'm around 80-100. I've never counted tbh. I'd like to get to 60 or so. Yeah I agree on that, big thing for me is comfort. I'm not dropping $200 or more on a shoe that's uncomfortable. The new XI lows are stiff and need a break in. Not worth it to me. That's why I'm moving my Lightbone XIs. I'm happy to keep rocking my 01' snakes they are insanely comfy for casual wear.

Watch this and try not to get sick to your stomach.

…it’s difficult.

I sort of wish things were back to where they were at least to a point back in 06’ when walking up to the counter in Shiekh to pick out one of the weeks exclusive sneakers behind it was one of the best moments I had when I was a kid,

Who knows how and where we will be getting sneakers even say 10 years from now

Yeah I think I'm around 80-100. I've never counted tbh. I'd like to get to 60 or so. Yeah I agree on that, big thing for me is comfort. I'm not dropping $200 or more on a shoe that's uncomfortable. The new XI lows are stiff and need a break in. Not worth it to me. That's why I'm moving my Lightbone XIs. I'm happy to keep rocking my 01' snakes they are insanely comfy for casual wear.

Totally. I actually don’t mind how the XIs feel, but the chunky toe on a lot of pairs and the missing white edge on the patent make the SJ lows meh to me. Still got my 2016 mids in super good shape, so I don’t need the lows bad enough to accept the lazy effort. Plus, the way JB is, I feel like this low drop means mids will be back within three years or less.

I sort of wish things were back to where they were at least to a point back in 06’ when walking up to the counter in Shiekh to pick out one of the weeks exclusive sneakers behind it was one of the best moments I had when I was a kid,

Who knows how and where we will be getting sneakers even say 10 years from now

At this point after 34 years of buying Nikes and Js, I don’t even care as much anymore. As long as I get the pairs I want—and I always do one way or another—the rest is all noise. It definitely was more fun back in the day, but nothing lasts forever.

Sz 8.5 for $77 last one...

Screenshot_20240522_235115_Chrome.jpg

Totally. I actually don’t mind how the XIs feel, but the chunky toe on a lot of pairs and the missing white edge on the patent make the SJ lows meh to me. Still got my 2016 mids in super good shape, so I don’t need the lows bad enough to accept the lazy effort. Plus, the way JB is, I feel like this low drop means mids will be back within three years or less.

The Space Jam lows could be pulled off with certain cut denims or maybe jogger pants but I really gotta be in the mood to cop, even with the but it’s space jams vibes I get

If I miss out on a pair I wanted I just look at what I have and select a pair to unds.
Too many unworn shoes sitting not doing a damn thing.
If the selected pair doesn’t fill that want void before lacing them up then I’ll sell them.
Did this for a while now and dwindled the stacks down by a lot.
Not gonna stop collecting, more so finding peace with this hobby.

Whoever said this isn’t a culture because there’s not much to talk about might be right lol. I’m starting to think like 75% of the dialogue in this hobby is just whining about not hitting on raffles, and various forms of incoherent complaining related to that.

Mfs complain about not winning raffles acting like resale prices are unfair and retail prices are how much everything supposed to be. But then they reference and validate those exact same resale prices when it comes to trading or unloading their own pairs … completely ignoring and dismissing the validity of retail prices. Lmao

Whoever said this isn’t a culture because there’s not much to talk about might be right lol. I’m starting to think like 75% of the dialogue in this hobby is just whining about not hitting on raffles, and various forms of incoherent complaining related to that.

Mfs complain about not winning raffles acting like resale prices are unfair and retail prices are how much everything supposed to be. But then they reference and validate those exact same resale prices when it comes to trading or unloading their own pairs … completely ignoring and dismissing the validity of retail prices. Lmao
:rofl:
I said it. But I didn't say there's not much to talk about--that's probably the BIGGEST thing there is to do, come on NT and opine about shoes with this crew of likeminded people. But your point is well taken LOL.
I said that beyond talking about shoes, there isn't really anything else to do that's centered around them. Which is why I see it not as a true culture but more as being someone who shares a buying habit of a particular type of item with a lot of other people.

Lol. A lot of truths here. The only thing I will say about the resale market is that it’s split. Some folks buy just to flip immediately. I don’t do it, but it doesn’t bother me, because lately they come back to reality and sell pretty close to retail. However, selling a sneaker that a mf has obviously worn, then charging well above retail, then referencing what they sell for on GOAT, DS, is peak wildin to me.

I guess we can say that hot releases and exclusive sneakers coming from Nike/ Jordan comes with its price to its audience. Everyone just can’t get their hands on a pair and the only significant way to address this is to pay resell from a seller. It really isn’t the sellers fault for high prices it’s just the way the shoe market legitimates its way of copping the hottest release. That is also extremely limited.

Is there an age when you feel like it’s no longer a good look to be wearing Jordans?

…yourself or other people?

50s?

60s?

70s?

…nursing home?

You’ve never once in your life judged another human being for something they wore?

…I find that difficult to believe.
your post didn’t say anything about judging people’s fashion choices ‘once in your life’ I just said that’s not something I do. Reading comprehension is key famb

Back
Top Bottom