Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Elysium
This was my fav. Matt Damon movie.

I loved how he intially wanted to go up "there" to save himself, but instead he saved all the people down "there."

I wish they would have showed us what the avg. "elysiumian" thinks of the people on earth. 

For instance, do elysiumians feel as though they're not from earth? That they're somehow better since they got there by chance? 

The villian was great! I could barely understand him, but his presence made you know some .... was about to go down.

5/5 

I can only hope.

But there's at least one or two huge budget movies that flop every summer, isn't there? That doesn't seem to prevent the studios from churning out more crap. A large majority of them would have to start tanking for there to be a real impact.

Spielberg suggested that soon we would have a film industry crash, where tons of big-budget movies would flop.

This is just a precursor.

1. Need to visit this thread more often.

2. I believe it, the market is over-saturated with these "blockbusters", just popcorn movies. It's all about the opening weekend now. Movies should stay in theaters longer, but there's a big rush to get it to secondary (Blu Ray) and third (VOD) than having legs at the box office.

It's almost like Jordan releases, quality sucks but there is a new flashy one coming out every week.

interesting new show starting on Sundance Monday

Thinking about going to this theater near me that shows movies for like $2 since I'm off tomorrow...should I go see World War Z, Now You See Me, or White House Down

Hey venom, you could put all those links in one post you know :lol:

Thinking about going to this theater near me that shows movies for like $2 since I'm off tomorrow...should I go see World War Z, Now You See Me, or White House Down
World War Z and then Now You See Me if you want.

EDIT

The Jeselnik Offensive will never not be funny :lol:

Last edited:
If you haven't already made a decision yet [COLOR=#red]bk[/COLOR], World War Z.

The Lone Ranger is that flop of 2013. STILL today, even a month and 11 days after it's release, they need 30 million more to just make up for their budget ($225 million). I remember hearing a movie critic on the radio that these movie companies need a $30 million profit just to pay off their cast before anybody else actually makes any money. C'mon Johnny.... :x

Last edited:
saw Lost in Translation for the first time a couple days ago, thought it was great. I loved the cinematography in the scenes where they were in the city, esp. the scenes when ScarJo went out exploring. makes me wanna go out and watch some more Bill Murray movies tho, ya'll have any recommendations?

saw Lost in Translation for the first time a couple days ago, thought it was great. I loved the cinematography in the scenes where they were in the city, esp. the scenes when ScarJo went out exploring. makes me wanna go out and watch some more Bill Murray movies tho, ya'll have any recommendations?

There's lots of good Murray films. Check out Broken Flowers and Rushmore, if you haven't seen it already. I also like Life Aquatic a lot, but it's not for everyone.

If you haven't already made a decision yet bk, World War Z.

The Lone Ranger is that flop of 2013. STILL today, even a month and 11 days after it's release, they need 30 million more to just make up for their budget ($225 million). I remember hearing a movie critic on the radio that these movie companies need a $30 million profit just to pay off their cast before anybody else actually makes any money. C'mon Johnny....
sick.gif
I was trying to go see this, but it's not even playing in my area.

Haha.

The Lone Ranger is that flop of 2013. STILL today, even a month and 11 days after it's release, they need 30 million more to just make up for their budget ($225 million). I remember hearing a movie critic on the radio that these movie companies need a $30 million profit just to pay off their cast before anybody else actually makes any money. C'mon Johnny.... :x

It took a while, but I think Depp fatigue is finally setting in. Plus, casting him as Tonto was really testing the, "Johnny Depp is so cool he can do anything" line of thought. He needs to get away from the big budget films for a while and maybe take some smaller, more dramatic roles. Show people he can actually act, instead of just doing different versions of Jack Sparrow.

Yeah I'm ready for Depp to be more low-key and show off his chops again.

The League really is awesome :lol: Taco is great.

I heard Bill Murray crushed it in Get Low. Remember seeing him and that film get love on At the Movies.

Last edited:
Yep, I fully agree on Depp.

I can't tell if he is just trying to cash checks or actually think that people are going to like these movies. This guy was on top for too long, we know he's a quality actor.

What you guys think of The Rum Diaries? I remember just thinking, "Why is this a movie?" But part of me thinks that it might be better the second time around.

Trying to catch up on Dexter Season 8 right now. For some reason, I'm going slooooooow. I don't think this storyline is hooking me, curious how they're going to tie it all together for an effective wrap-up. On episode 4 right now, might try to do a mini-marathon to catch up today so I can dive into that thread. Still think it's Deb's season/solid so far [COLOR=#red]CP[/COLOR]?

I can see what they're doing. Personally I think it's both of their seasons. Harry's therapist is going to build that bridge back between Dex and Deb, get Deb to cope with what she did and who her "brother" is, and Dexter is going to finally find his place in the world. Feels like a good ending, but I want something pretty climactic. I wonder if it's going to end with Dexter realizing he loves Deb (and of course, vice versa) and they fall for each other and that'll be the weird, end to a show about a serial killer banging his half-sister. :lol: When you think about that.... it's just.... :lol: This show is odd.

I'm a few episodes behind, like I said, so my thoughts above might be dated/useless.

After I've caught up, going to try to watch Sons of Anarchy Season 3-5 to get caught up before September 10th.

But there's at least one or two huge budget movies that flop every summer, isn't there? That doesn't seem to prevent the studios from churning out more crap. A large majority of them would have to start tanking for there to be a real impact.

That's the thing, there have been numerous. To be considered a success, you've got to far exceed your budget because the money these films put into advertising and promotion is absurd.

Will Smiths After Earth, cost 130 million, made 60.
The Internship, cost 58 million, made 44.
Epic, cost 100 million, was pimped out, barely made 107 million.
White House Down, cost 150 million, made 72.
Star Trek Into Darkness. Critical success, but just made 36 million more over budget when they heavily promoted it.
The Lone Ranger, 215 to make, made 88.
RIPD, cost 130 million, made 30.
World War Z, cost 190 million, only made 197 million.
Pacific Rim, another critical success, has made 97 million compared to its 190 million budget.
Red 2, cost 84 million, made 49.
Turbo, cost 135 million, has made 75.
The wolverine, been in theaters three weeks and may just barely make its money back.
Elysium has a long way to go to make its money back.

But making your money back isn't good enough. You need to kill in order to be a success. And some of these are good films that are struggling to get their money back.

The only real big money makers this summer were The Conjuring, Despicable Me 2, Grown Ups 2, The Heat, Fast 6, Now You See Me, This is the End, and Iron Man 3. Of those, only two cost a lot of money to make.

That's the thing, there have been numerous. To be considered a success, you've got to far exceed your budget because the money these films put into advertising and promotion is absurd.

Will Smiths After Earth, cost 130 million, made 60.
The Internship, cost 58 million, made 44.
Epic, cost 100 million, was pimped out, barely made 107 million.
White House Down, cost 150 million, made 72.
Star Trek Into Darkness. Critical success, but just made 36 million more over budget when they heavily promoted it.
The Lone Ranger, 215 to make, made 88.
RIPD, cost 130 million, made 30.
World War Z, cost 190 million, only made 197 million.
Pacific Rim, another critical success, has made 97 million compared to its 190 million budget.
Red 2, cost 84 million, made 49.
Turbo, cost 135 million, has made 75.
The wolverine, been in theaters three weeks and may just barely make its money back.
Elysium has a long way to go to make its money back.

But making your money back isn't good enough. You need to kill in order to be a success. And some of these are good films that are struggling to get their money back.

The only real big money makers this summer were The Conjuring, Despicable Me 2, Grown Ups 2, The Heat, Fast 6, Now You See Me, This is the End, and Iron Man 3. Of those, only two cost a lot of money to make.

But are you taking into account overseas grosses, DVD sales, pay-per-view, etc? I don't think they judge a film's financial success just based on U.S. box office grosses anymore. Still, some of those movies you listed are going to be failures no matter what, like Lone Ranger and RIPD (which looked completely stupid just from the billboards).

And oversaturation of the market is a big problem. I actually wanted to see ST Into Darkness in the theater, but when I finally had time to go, which was only about a month after it released, I couldn't find it playing anywhere near me. Its a shame that movies that are actually decent have to get pushed out of the theaters to make room for crap. If I recall correctly, part of the reason why Titanic made so much money is that it was in theaters forever -- relatively speaking. I also think that's how My Big Fat Greek Wedding became the hit it did. That way of doing things has disappeared, I guess.

What you guys think of The Rum Diaries? I remember just thinking, "Why is this a movie?" But part of me thinks that it might be better the second time around.
i enjoyed it.. but wouldnt actually go to the movies to watch

Yep, I fully agree on Depp.

I can't tell if he is just trying to cash checks or actually think that people are going to like these movies. This guy was on top for too long, we know he's a quality actor.

If you notice, he's done a lot of Disney movies recently. I think he's just had to fulfill some contractual obligations and that's why he's put out what he's put out.

With these major films I feel like it's the same movie structure just rehashed over and with different view points.

Or we already know the stories and just go for visuals ( comic films )

As I've gotten older ( Mid 20s ) I've leaned to appreciate the lower end movies / indie flicks.

Those films I feel push the boundaries more because they can't rely on the glitz and glamour of it.

Agreed on all points. Especially since my friends and I have a film production crew of our own, we understand the indie side and struggle of the industry.

If you notice, he's done a lot of Disney movies recently. I think he's just had to fulfill some contractual obligations and that's why he's put out what he's put out.

He needs to stay away from Tim Burton for a while too. I get that they're like artistic soulmates, but their work product has been dropping off pretty heavily lately. But I think the Willy Wonka sequel is already in production, so the Depp-Burton hiatus will have to wait until after that.

Edit - never mind about the Charlie and the Chocolate Factor sequel. I Googled it and found no evidence that its actually happening, although I do remember hearing that somewhere.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom