Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Broad City is great, thanks for putting me on. Should've known it would be funny when I heard Amy was producing it.

Dear God someone fix the title.

Asking CP to change the title of this thread is like asking him to admit Mike D'Antoni is not a good head coach.

It just won't happen.
:wow: CP been in the Lakers thread all season defending Pringles?

For shame :smh:

I Love you O Negative for that explanation of Children of Men. said it probably 4 times already but that's my favourite movie
laugh.gif

saw dallas buyers club. what a great film. matt and leto killed it. fda is dirty :smh:

Finished up Dallas Buyers Club with my lady. We were both locked in for two hours. Damn good movie. The acting was great by the entire cast. Story was hypnotic. Easily in my top 10 of 2013.

Dallas Buyers Club was...not the film I expected. :lol: I thought I was gonna get Philadelphia meets Brokeback Mountain, which...no disrespect...but 1's a movie you watch one time. And you watch it because Denzel did the damn thing and Tom Hanks is the most likeable human being. The other...when Heath died, I was close, but 2 minutes in I stopped it and told myself, one day I am going to be a mature adult, secure enough to freely watch this film without cringing or turning it off. :nerd: Today ain't that day. :lol:

But this ain't that movie. McConaughey was actually a lot more like Woody Harrellson's character in True Detective...or hell, Woody in Hunger Games too. He's a Southern hustler in the 80s just trying to smash, dash, and get some cash.

Jen Garner...any time she's in anything, she's so meh and just herself, that all I think about is who coulda done more with her part. Except Pearl Harbor, where she was perfect. But she was actually not bad in this...even if she don't remember she got an accent half the time. The power she has, is that she makes MM and Leto look awesome. You forget you're watching actors when they're in scenes with her.

I mean, the setup is sorta standard by movie logic. What happens when the exact kinda good ol boy, who'd beat the **** outta of a gay dude, gets the gay virus...in ignorant ol 80s Texas. And he's a hustler, so rightly the whole movie moves at a sorta Ocean's pace of okay, next thing. Next thing. What we gonna do? Next thing. Day 12. Let's go. Really well paced and edited.

And at first, I thought Leto was overhyped. I didn't get what the big deal was, until I realized that he made the movie. McConaughey is a fully formed creature when the movie starts, but Leto keeps growing and settling into the film. And the little waves he makes has the movie vibing with him.

What's clever is that the film never stays the same. It never settles into a too predictable path, and it never lingers. I mean its a straightforward flick. But it never preaches or overstays its welcome, it just is what it is. I mean, it's like Argo. It's the kind of grownup movie that there should be 5 of every year. Just a really good, watchable movie, beginning to end. MM and Leto weren't over the top or anything. Just right.

And...this is probably the most masculine HIV movie since Kids. 7.5/10

Dallas Buyers Club

Pretty much what I thought it would be, 2 people transforming for their roles, and no one else in the movie mattering.

That said, They both did their job, but I didn't stop and think "Oscar" or "amazing". Just that they LOOKED great in their character. The actual acting part wasn't special, at least to me. Solid, but not Daniel Day Lewis special like it has been sold.

Yeah...now...just like Argo...this is a kinda overhyped film, I think. I actually hope MM doesn't win now. It's a Pluto thing.

He was really good, but to a point. He gives a full bodied, solid and convincing performance. Just...it's a great performance for what it is. But if this is in and it's getting hype like this? Somebody give MBJ an Oscar for Fruitvale RIGHT NOW. If this is a contender? Then Leo should win...Hanks shoulda been nominated....Bale should be a contender.

Pluto's not a planet. Because if it was, then a whole mess of other rocks would have to be called planets too. My problem with MM in DBC is politcal. As far as Oscar goes, it's right there with all the other ones. It's not really special in any way, except that for his he lost weight, instead of gaining it, or staying the same.

And as far as like...cultural resonance goes, not to be offensive, but didn't Philadelphia cover this? Dallas Buyers feels like a 15 year old good movie that's aged alright. The topic won't stop being important, but how is it so important as to raise THIS performance up over the others this year. How is Michael B. Jordan not nominated then? How is Chiwetel not the frontrunner? ...more than anything actually...this is probably least great thing MM's done lately?

His role on True Detective kills this, easy. Killer Joe is more interesting. Mud is more vital. Wolf is...almost iconic at this point. I mean, DBC isn't a footnote, but it's 1 more good thing. Not the thing. This is the Argo pick. Him winning is the finish line for turning around a ****** perception of himself thanks to piles of good work. I hope he wins every Emmy for True Detective, but I'd give the Oscar to Chiwetel, cuz there's more there, there. And all things being equal, that's his iconic role, that we'll have reason to talk about for years to come...unlike DBC, which is gonna drop into the same bin as Argo and Hurt Locker.

And Leto was really good as well. Bulletproof actually. It got hard to remember what he actually looked like in real life. And that scene where he goes to see his dad, was great. I'm cool with him winning, even though I'd personally go for Fassbender or Jonah, just because it felt like Leto's role was a little too short.

there I go again :lol:

cliffs: Good grownup movie. Good performances, but imo not 'lock to win the Oscar' performances, like they are right now. If you've seen True Detective, this is gonna either feel like good job to add to the pile for MM, or a step down from his very best.

Last edited:
I going to check out one of the animated movies that is nomined tonight.

Despicable Me2

The Croods

Frozen

The Wind Rises

Ernest & Celestine

I know Despicable 2 will be good and heard Frozen is nice but I am leading towards The Croods

I going to check out one of the animated movies that is nomined tonight.

Despicable Me2
The Croods
Frozen
The Wind Rises
Ernest & Celestine

I know Despicable 2 will be good and heard Frozen is nice but I am leading towards The Croods

Of those, I've only seen DM2 and Frozen and I liked DM2 better. If you liked Despicable Me 1, you should like the second too. I think its equally as good, if not better. Frozen was good, but a little too Broadway for my tastes. I wanted to take my son to see the Croods, but just didn't get around to it. Never heard of the other two films.

When Children of Men came out I was still a teen and found it boring.

As I've gotten older I have appreciated it.

Really worth a watch.
I Love you O Negative for that explanation of Children of Men. said it probably 4 times already but that's my favourite movie:lol:
Love that movie. When we did that movie draft, that was my pick for best sci-fi of the 00s. :smokin

This was a lot better than I thought it was gonna be. Mike did a great job.
Wait...this is a thing? I need this.

I remember that docu, Tyson, from a few back. Crazy good.

Frozen was good, but a little too Broadway for my tastes.

I kinda half-watched it with my niece the other day. It was the greatest thing ever to her, but yea I agree. I don't know if people overhyped it, or if it's cuz I saw it after I saw Lego, but it was good for what it was. Took some pretty cool turns I didn't expect. I guess it was the best of this kinda thing since that golden 90s era Disney.

Lego tho >>>

Cate Blanchett was so good in Blue Jasmine :lol:

sort of felt bad for her at the end, but she was such a entitled bish. good flick.

Finally saw this. This was one of those....if I don't watch it before the Oscars, I'm never going to watch it.

I didn't know what this was before I saw it. I just assumed it was one of those, kinda forgettable angry family movies like The Savages or The Squid and the Whale or Rachel Getting Married. But this ***** on all of those. The problem with those movies is, you can only stand them once. And they're brutal in such a common, familiar way that it's like going to your friends house and hearing their parents fight. You remember glimpses, but most of it is in the rearview before you even notice.

This gives such a pure and sorta...calmly relentless look at Jasmine. And the way we get into her head and aren't told anything about her, but shown, make this something more. The brilliance of the way the film was written is that we don't get flashbacks. We get disassociative breaks. The psychology of it is so good. And it doesn't stop to diagnose her, it just rolls with the punches. It's fluid. Saying anything else about this film, is spoiling it.

THIS is the kind of performance, that you just part the seas for. **** anyone else trying to throw their hat in for this Oscar, and if Woody Allen, being the director denies her, then the academy is ********. The gap between Cate and everyone else up is huge. I was gonna mention some of the great moments she had in the movie, until I realized it was every other scene.

I mean...the Wolf boys, the Django boys, The Joker...Daniel Plainview...Hans Landa, everyone in The Master, Katniss, Lisbeth Salander, Zuckerberg, Anton Chigurgh, Kirk Lazarus, Juno...of the newer, iconic stuff...this is up there. And it's up there in a meaningful way, not a shallow way like Natalie Portman in Black Swan. The only thing holding this performance back from being with the legends is...Cate is an older woman, and most dudes will never want to watch anything just for an older woman, but my god.

Blue jasmine was awesome.

I'm gonna be annoyed if she doesn't win best actress because of the woody Allen crap being brought up 20 years later

Andrew dice clay was so perfectly cast. Say what you will but the man is one of the best writers ever.

All of that. Alec Baldwin was straight. Bobby Cannavale did a really good job.

And Sally Hawkins. Remember how Juno was game over, and now Ellen Page is here. That's what I thought Happy-Go-Lucky was gonna be for Sally Hawkins in '07, even though it didn't really happen. It was a great little movie, but she got snubbed. She was so perfect and natural and just living and breathing in that, that all I could think was...okay...that's just who you are.

And then boom, full turn in this. Drops the British accent, picks up NYer and she was perfect. I mean it's on that 'Amy Ryan in Gone Baby Gone,' level of: Where did you go? Who is this person? How didn't I know you could do that? ...but you can still see that Happy-Go-Lucky underneath.

Really well done movie. Made me wanna watch it again once it was over. 8/10

Last edited:
There a threadhttp://niketalk.com/t/584473/official-2014-oscars-awards-thread-march-2#post_19967108

Of those, I've only seen DM2 and Frozen and I liked DM2 better. If you liked Despicable Me 1, you should like the second too. I think its equally as good, if not better. Frozen was good, but a little too Broadway for my tastes. I wanted to take my son to see the Croods, but just didn't get around to it. Never heard of the other two films.
I finish watching The Croods and enjoyed it. Took about five mintues for me to adjust to the animation but overall good movie/story. Dont think this will win best animated film but is worth checking out.

Will watch Ernest & Celestine if I dont go hoop.

:smokin

Any Oscar movies you guys didn't watch that you meant to?

Never got to Her or Llewyn Davis. :smh:

And I accept that I'm never gonna be in the mood for Nebraska, Philomena, or August Osage. :lol:

Last edited:
Here's who I feel like should win.

Best Picture- 12 Years a Slave
Best Director- Spike Jonze (Since he's not nominated, I'd say Steve McQueen).
Best Actor- Ejiofor
Best Actress- Cate Blanchett
Best Supporting Actor- Leto or Fassbender
Best Supportig Actress- Lupita Nyong'o

Last edited:
I'm fine with the movies I didn't get to see. Really gotta be in a mood and I never got in to them the past 3 months.

:smokin

Any Oscar movies you guys didn't watch that you meant to?

Never got to Her or Llewyn Davis. :smh:

And I accept that I'm never gonna be in the mood for Nebraska, Philomena, or August Osage. :lol:

No Philomena, Nebraska, Captain Phillips, and although it's not a Best Picture nominee, I really want to see Blue Jasmine though.

Jessica Biel looking :wow:

O, you gotta watch Her.

I'm doin Osage right now after Homefront-Transporter 5, No cars. :lol:

If I was Jason Statham I would just walk down the street fightin people. No damns. :lol:

I'm not about to start judging movies based on who directed/wrote them because of who they are and not their talent. Doesn't make much sense to me unless they're really offensive. Being creepy aint enough. I simply have never been a huge fan of Woody's movies.

On another note, Osage doesn't seem worth my time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom