Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Biopics are so tough because you have to portray a legend. Pryor is a legend, it would be impossible to find someone that can act as naturally funny. I think the most important factor when doing a biopic is how much they look like the original person. You're so used to seeing this star so when you see someone that looks nothing like them, it's already ruined.

Thing is, a lot of Richard Pryor's life was not funny at all. He was a great stand-up comic, but also a very troubled man in many respects. As a lot of great comedians are. So, if this movie is going to be accurate and tell his whole story, they're going to need someone with real acting chops to play him. Marlon doesn't qualify, I don't think. Eddie Murphy has shown he can really act -- and I'm not just talking about Dreamgirls -- but he and Pryor were contemporaries for a while, so it wouldn't be right for one to play the other. Eddie is Eddie and Richard is Richard. I don't know who is should be, TBH.

Pryor was the definition of the tortured artist.

Definitely don't wanna see a biopic, there is nobody out here who can do him justice on stage and his life off stage.

Some legends you have to leave alone.

Pryor was the definition of the tortured artist.

Definitely don't wanna see a biopic, there is nobody out here who can do him justice on stage and his life off stage.

Some legends you have to leave alone.

Wow...I agree with this...with you...damn.

Has this thread ever tried to do a 'movie of the week.' Is be down, don't like some of the movies y'all pick but I'm willing to try; if someone wants to organize it.

Most great comedians are depressed and unhappy off camera. I said he was naturally funny because he was. Stand ups and films, he was great. I wouldn't want to see Eddie play him but he should have a hand in it. I don't think you can shoot this movie. I usually hate biopics because you can't capture who they really are. I only watched 42 because I wanted to see the old baseball jerseys and times. You just can't recreate greatness.

Even if they can find the right actor to play him, Pryor's life was so complex that I don't know they could do it justice in a 2 hour movie. Among other things, he was basically raised by his grandmother in a brothel, was married a bunch of times and, as most know, almost killed himself while freebasing cocaine. That, along with his comedic career, is a lot of ground to cover in a movie. (I learned a lot of that stuff from a very good documentary about Pryor I saw on Showtime recently). But I guess if they figured it out for Ray Charles and Johnny Cash, they can figure it out for Richard Pryor.

They lucked into having Jamie Foxx for Ray, he's the only person that could have pulled that role off, seriously who is 1 actor out there who's funny enough, has the chops for serious scenes and even resembles Pryor?

I love MBJ but hell no.

Marlon? The last time he was in a serious movie was Requiem which was years ago and he's definitely not on Pryor's level comedic wise.

Last edited:
Dom Hemmingway seems like a movie that's gonna remind ppl what a great actor Jude Law is.

He's been coasting the past few years as far as challenging roles go (the joint with Rooney and Catherine was overall dope though).

I thought Mike Epps and Jamie Foxx had a Richard Pryor movie coming out...maybe theres 2?
i think Mike Epps has a falling out with the family

i thought he'd be good for it in some aspects but I don't know well he could carry a dramatic role

i'm still waiting to see what's gonna become of this Nina Simone biopic with Zoe Saldana (whom I could take or leave most times)

Last edited:
What is the appeal?

You are in your 20's, I believe, what appeals to you when one is in the pipeline, you read about it, etc, what grabs you? Visuals, story, voices, what is the hook?

This is truly a must read article by Bill Simmons on action heroes thru cinema the last 35+ years.

http://grantland.com/features/the-action-hero-championship-belt/

If it wasn't for all the videos, I would have posted the text only in here, there is some stuff to chop up.

Speaking of, we just got the teaser trailer for Expendables 3. :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

Losing Chuck Norris and Bruce Willis, but adding Mel GIbson, Harrison Ford, Wesley freaking Snipes, and Antonio Banderas. :pimp:

Wesley could use all the money he can get.. :lol:

I'll be seeing Sabotage on Monday. I don't care how bad it will be.

I am pretty much going to see every Arnold film until he dies. :lol:

I am kind of shocked I actually haven't seen Grudge Match yet. Sly and Arnold are my guys.

Last edited:
Dom Hemmingway seems like a movie that's gonna remind ppl what a great actor Jude Law is.

He's been coasting the past few years as far as challenging roles go (the joint with Rooney and Catherine was overall dope though).

no one should question if Jude Law is a good actor

Wesley could use all the money he can get.. :lol:

I'll be seeing Sabotage on Monday. I don't care how bad it will be.

I am pretty much going to see every Arnold film until he dies. :lol:

I am kind of shocked I actually haven't seen Grudge Match yet. Sly and Arnold are my guys.

hearing its a horrendous film

and don't waste your time pm Grudge Match, it was awful

Last edited:

no one should question if Jude Law is a good actor
Not so much question, just forget.

He's another guy that seems ripe to kinda breakout and have a masterful performance on a (cable) tv series.

Like for True Detective, I'd want him to be the new killer for the season.

Going to be a rainy weekend here, anyone have some good movie recomendations?

Layer Cake
Running Scared (Paul Walker one)
Heartbreakers (Love Hewitt in her prime, and somehow awesome cast,. very underrated throw away film)
Trance
Wolf of Wall Street (perfect for when you have a lot of time to kill)

^^^Yeah, on Jude Law, I don't think anyone would argue he's not a good actor -- he's never been bad in anything I've seen him in. But he doesn't always challenge himself. He also doesn't mail it in the same way McConaughey was doing for a while. But still, I see Zik's point.

One movie of his that I like that I'm not sure a lot of people may have seen is Alfie. Its a remake of a 1960s Michael Caine movie. Law's performance in that movie very solid, with good supporting performances by Nia Long, Omar Epps and Susan Sarandon, among others. It can be slow at times, but I liked it.

Jude should say goodbye to his hair already. Cut it real short or rock a baldy and wear wigs for roles like Sam Jackson does. I've always wanted to watch The Talented Mr. Ripley but never got around to it for some reason. Will def check it out soon.

CP Heartbreakers was HILARIOUS.
Total guilty pleasure movie. :lol:

Running Scared :pimp: :pimp:
Saw that movie at the theater when it came out and I was so shocked at how good it ended up being.

Running Scared spoiler:
when she shot those horrible pedo parents :pimp: :pimp: man... Goosebumps. That was an awesome moment in the movie, everyone in the theater was like F*** Yeah!!! And everyone started cheering :lol:

Can't believe y'all know Heartbreakers, that's awesome. My wife and I LOVE that movie. So many quotables.

Another like that is one with Bill Bellamy and French Stewart, Love Stinks. Jason Bateman, Tyra Banks, and Pete Sampras wife when she was at her peak. (forgetting her name) The blonde, she was in The Wedding Planner. Anyway, Love Stinks is another one her and I love. Just a mindless comedy.

This is the running scared I thought ya'll were talking about lol.

I always think of that one first too whenever I hear Running Scared. I like that movie. I'm a Gregory Hines fan and Billy Crystal wasn't annoying in that film like he sometimes can be. Good buddy copy movie.

Back
Top Bottom