Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

I have already watched it three times. :lol:

The actor that plays the investor homeboy chooses to go with died while filming this first season, so that's pretty weird.

Last edited:
Silicon Valley had me dying. All the little things hit for me, from the one-seater car, to the Marketing Team bike-meeting, to the college argument. I think this may pick up as HBO's next real good comedy, something they've been missing since Eastbound... ended. I love the cast as well; been a fan of Kumail Nanjiani through Portlandia and Martin Starr since Freaks and Geeks, so I'm excited to see where their characters go. Not to mention Mike Judge is a creator of the show :pimp: All in all, I'm super excited for this show.

Anyone catch that new show on AMC last night, TURN?
I am interested in the premise but not impressed with the cast. However, I didn't even get to watch the premeire between Shameless finale, Game of Thrones and catching up on Vikings among other little things.

I also didn't get to check the premeire of Silicon Valley either.
Nah, I heard it sucks though :lol:

AMC seems to be grasping at straws with all the new shows they're pumping out.
They simply don't know get some timing right. They'd rather wait for great creators come to them. They should've been feeling out multiple shows the second the finals eason of BB was broken up in to two parts instead of heavily relying on Mad Men and The Walking Dead (and their lame after show). Had they started a few things then they'd know what didn't work a bit sooner. Aint even really think of pushing Hell On Wheels and clearly their placement of Low Winter Sun backfired.

With Mad Men ending this year all they got left money wise is the horrible TWD. They bout to fall off hard and watch FX, Showtime, HBO (ofcourse), and the likes of USA surpass them.
Rake is a damn good show...and if anyone says the Australian version is better you will be pooping out DVD box sets of the UK Office for the next month.
Rake is really good but did they already cancel it cuz it's no longer airing at the usual time it was before or did I watch the season finale and just not know it? Last ep I watched the mayor's wife told dude who is banging Key's former JO who also got shot stopping a purse snatcher she'd support him if he ran for DA

Last edited:
Silicon Valley is going to be awesome.

TJ Miller is great, Martin Starr will always be funny. Pilot was solid, set up the stakes, I liked the tone and style.. no complaints so far.

i watched the first episode yesterday, hopefully it gets better. I wasn't blown away by the episode

Pilots can be tricky. There's a few things I care about. I want to see that the tone and world of the show is interesting and well-thought out. This one definitely was.. between little touches like the Hooli CEO wearing those silly shoes, the doctor pitching his new app :lol:, etc. It reminded me of Entourage about how they plop you into this world and it felt authentic.

I want to like the characters and see if I could eventually care about their story. The whole "we're outcasts but now we can be kings" is interesting enough, but I just liked most of the cast. Big Head was the least interesting but he'll just be the sounding board/best friend. The main guy was solid enough, TJ Miller and Martin Starr are going to be great and Kumail is usually funny.

It seemed like a mix between How to Make it in America and Entourage. It's got the feeling that these guys are really starting from the bottom and it's going to be a long way to the top.. similar to How to Make It. But it's also got that Entourage "Something miraculous could happen at the end of the episode" feeling like they get a surprise last minute investor or they make some big breakthrough and we'd just say "ok, awesome"

Plus it was just funny to me. I like Mike Judge's comedy, I liked the cast, I'm a fan.

Review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier
--------------------------------------

If at first you don't succeed, try and try again. Fortunately for Marvel, this old saying worked for Captain America as new directors Anthony and Joe Russo took their small screen skills and brought a big theater punch, revitalizing Steve Rogers in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

As someone who really didn't enjoy any aspect of the first film, I went into the sequel with low expectations. In return what I got was two hours of an actual super hero film!

95-years-old and living in modern day Washington, Rogers is still adjusting to modern times. Jokes about using an iPod another other advanced technology are brought up as he’s trying to catch up with the world. When a new villain appears and looks to take down S.H.I.E.L.D, Captain America, The Black Widow (Scarlet Johannson) and Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) spring into action. Soon thereafter, they find out things aren’t so kosher as Hydra is still secretly in power and planning a global attack. From attempts on Fury’s life and what seems to be an unstoppable fleet of ships about to take to the air and eliminate all foes, it’s up to Rogers to once again overcome all odds.

The highest compliment I feel that I can give Captain America: The Winter Soldier is that it actually felt like a great action film and it had enough pizzazz to make me believe I was watching a super hero.

The Russo’s made it a point to have Captain America seriously kick ***. The fight scenes and choreography of those scenes was the best I’ve seen in any Marvel film. The opening sequence on the ship as our hero battles armed guards ultimately leading to a showdown with Batroc (Georges St-Pierre) is more intense than anything in The First Avenger. And what about the use of the shield? All throughout the film, Evans flings the shield and creates havoc in such a fantastic boomerang way. That was such a missing element to his character in the first film and in The Avengers. Very happy to see Captain America utilize such an iconic part of his identity.

One of the few areas of concern prior to the film was how the new characters of Sam Wilson A.K.A Falcon (Anthony Mackie) and The Winter Soldier (Sebastian Stan) were going to be introduced. Mackie, who was a perfect casting choice, was given a non-traditional suit, and introduced as an army “pilot.” In reality he dons metal wings and become Roger’s sidekick. While his role isn’t large, it’s effective. Falcon is likable and I think we will see a lot more of him going forward. His relationship with Rogers is fun yet he shows ample respect to the WWII past. Mackie is having a blast with the role and really is the Ying to Rogers’ Yang. As far as Bucky Barnes’ transformation goes, it was simply okay. Yes, he’s a thawed out machine with a metal arm that is Captain America’s toughest match, and catching the shield in mid-air is really freaking cool, but I just wasn’t wowed with the character. The positive is that they really developed the past relationship between Bucky and Steve and even had a few flashbacks that amplified the fight scenes between the two.

The added political elements led by Robert Redford’s Alexander Pierce added a sub-story that fueled the film. Redford fit like a glove into the universe and became a believable hierarchy nemesis. With Hyrdra corrupting the government, secrecy and espionage really do come to the forefront giving so many layers to this film.

Johansson’s Black Widow is given ample time and she doesn’t disappoint. Her loyalty is to the agency, yet her relationship with Rogers is often fun and playful. The two have chemistry and bring out the comedic element in the film through dry humor a handful of times. Jackson’s Fury also feels more important in this film then previous, even if his role hasn’t really changed. He really is pulling strings left and right and becomes more personable. Jackson tones down his “signature” yelling and delivers a strong performance.

Above all else, Chris Evans really shines. Perhaps it was because of all the added elements to his character, the notion that we actually cared about his story and desire to fight. Steve Rogers evolved in this film and you can see his growth dramatically from the first film to The Avengers to now. Evans, who looks like he is chiseled from granite, proves he is much more than just brawn and really added serious depth to the character. Evans made Captain America fun! You really end up rooting for him and sit up during the combat scenes. With so many superhero films trying to incorporate and borrow elements from others, Captain America: The Winter Soldier really stood on its own. Yes, they referenced Hulk and Tony Stark and we do get special (awesome) cameos in the post-credits scene, but this is Evans’ film.

If the film falters anywhere it’s towards the end of the third act, I wasn’t a huge fan of the way it all ended. It was a bit too cheesy and clean, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t effective. Captain America: The Winter Soldier served its greater purpose and that’s elevating the main character to a level in which he deserves to be at. Marvel really got it right and bounced back from the debacle that was Iron Man 3. The Russo’s have left me and many more fans clamoring for a Hulk standalone film, and given the success here, let Anthony and Joe make that one happen to!

Rating: B+

Martin Scorsese shares his views on directors that took risks & talking bout various characters/roles. Spoiler mode because the footage is provided via several clips.

Captain America tho 
smokin.gif

Thoroughly enjoyed captain America the winter soldier.. Can't wait to see where they go for part 3

Hopefully marvel takes notes for it's other franchises in the works.. Not necessarily in the tone of the film, but the respect that is given to the characters involved (mainly looking at the last 2 ironman films.. But hoping to avoid similar pitfalls in future films)

watching MR NOBODY on Netflix. good? sort of confusing at some points but just need to rewind it at those sections. never heard of it but it seems to have been fairly enjoyed

Rake still popping. Season finale is wild. There were two episodes after the one where old dude gets shot. Can't wait til next season, hoping my life turns out something like his lol.

Jack Reacher was pretty good. Really liked Tom in it. Liked how they didn't make dude completely perfect throughout and actually got hurt by chumps until the end where everything was pretty much going by the numbers. Most of all the mystery hooked me. The villains were good enough (didn't care for their motives but says a lot that it aint farfetched) and the leader got got Punisher style :smokin That Robert Duvall part was doing a bit too much though :lol: I mean get 3 bullseyes and I'll tell you what you need to know? Seemed they just wanted a badass kooky old guy to kill ppl for the finale.

Also that whole time the actress playing the defense attorney had me thinking she was the dirty one the way she acted. I was probably just reading too much in to her mannerisms and facial expressions.

Cloud Atlas was for the most part a waste of 3 hrs. Really felt like a movie to have on in the background as I drifted in and out. It wans't even like I didn't get it or pay attention it's just some of those stories were really boring. Future villager Hanks with neo futur Berry was boring. The pacing just dragged for the story where Hanks was posioning that dude. The bi pianist, Halle in the 70s were okay. The 2012 publisher dude could've been it's whole seperate movie on it's own with the premise that the guy tricks him in to an old folk's home and then he gets his Jack Nicholoson on. The whole clones in some caste system future Korea working in some eatery being fed themselves also could've been a movie on it's own (probably not a good movie but a seperate movie nonethless). That twist was some other ****.

I get the feeling even if the movies were re-edited to show each story in their entirety from start to finish instead of breaking it up the way it did I'd still feel the same way about the movie overall.

Some of the makeup/disguises were horrible and forced. Loved me some white Halle Berry and witch doctor Susan Sarandon though :evil:

jack reacher was disappointing imo. i kept expecting something big and it never arrived. the story seemed all over the place. usually tom is money but this is one of his weaker movies.

I liked Jack Reacher. Predictable and "by the numbers," but it was a good ole' 80's throwback type of film, and I rarely say this, Tom Cruise was a bad a**. Last time I liked him this much in a role was in Collateral.

As for Cloud Atlas, I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember thinking how much I regretted not watching it in a theater. I can see why people don't like it, but I'm a sucker for sci-fi and I couldn't help but enjoy every minute of it. Loved the cross cutting through the different stories and even though each seemed disjointed, as a whole, IMO, it worked.

Also, trying to catch up on some movies, so any suggestions? Right now I'm considering either, Noah or Divergent. Maybe even, The Grand Budapest Hotel, but I'm not a Wes Anderson fan, with the exception of Moonrise Kingdom.

Yeah, I went into Jack Reacher as just something to have on in the background while I bs online, and look up here and there to >D and :rolleyes. But that opening scene was one of the most haunting things I've seen in a good while. And the whole movie...I really liked the style and tone. Just a real confident well done throwback. Cruise did his thing.

I'm not a big Wes fan, but I recommend the hell outta Grand Budapest.

And uh...I'll stick with Silicon, cuz Mike Judge is my guy, but am I missing something? :nerd:

And uh...I'll stick with Silicon, cuz Mike Judge is my guy, but am I missing something? :nerd:

I don't think so. I'm just excited about another solid comedy to watch. It didn't blow my mind like it's going to be the next great comedy.. but I like the cast, the premise is cool, it's got a little Entourage and How to Make it In America mixed together.. it just looks good.

^ Jack Reacher was a good movie to catch on cable or Netflix. Would not go to see Tom Cruise films in the theater anymore...

Collateral was solid too but I think all of Michael Mann's flicks are solid. I think Public Enemies was the last good flick Johnny Depp has done...

On a side note, Dane DeHaan reminds me Leo DiCaprio a bit... He makes some of the same facial & vocal expressions/mannerisms.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom