Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Don't confuse a character arc with character development.

Character development is more about having a dramatic need, a point of view, being multi-dimensional (backstory/history, flaws, etc.), an attitude or belief system, a philosophy, unique characteristics, etc.

Character arcs, on the other hand, will deal with how the character changes due to the events of the story. How they grow, change, alter.. or in some cases.. how they don't. Traditionally, your bad guys or villains won't arc.

I'm sure we could come up with countless great examples, but I'd definitely say one that pops out is definitely Michael Corleone. From where we see him at the start of the movie, to the closing of the door on Kay.. it's brilliant.

Recently I'd say Aaron Ekhart's Harvey Dent had a great arc. Within 2 hours we saw him turn from the beacon of hope to Two Face.

If they remake Lethal Weapon I hope it fails epically like $36 from the box office opening day. That's what needs to happens when Hollywood just wants to remake everything. Bad enough we accept all those damn sequels and prequels. Remakes of classics that don't need to be remade need to be shutdown early.
I just finished the first season of The Wire. I don't see the hype at all. The English detective is awful. The lesbian is pretty bad too. I've heard season four is when it gets good, also heard that season 2 is mad boring.
Well I mean if you can't relate, then you can't relate.

While I can see why ppl love it and hold it to a high standard I can also see why some ppl don't love it and why it didn't get any awards. I love it just for how they juggle the characters and all of the acting is believable. I don't see how you scan say the actors playing Greggs or McNulty are bad. They're pretty much on point.

Even though I'm not from Bmore I can say they definitely captured the 2000s. The in depth look at everyday police work, the drug trade on a street level from the dealers to addicts, education, political corruption extending to the police and law is excellent.

I'm on S5 and while I can't say this is better than BB I'd also add you can't really compare it to that given how wildly different they are.

If you didn't like S1 I don't know if you'll love S4. S2 to me wasn't boring it just that a chunk of it covered new characters entirely and focused on shady dealings of a different profession.

Only slight I'd give the show is I wish they had a season focusing on East Bmore

Last edited:
Don't confuse a character arc with character development.

Character development is more about having a dramatic need, a point of view, being multi-dimensional (backstory/history, flaws, etc.), an attitude or belief system, a philosophy, unique characteristics, etc.

Character arcs, on the other hand, will deal with how the character changes due to the events of the story. How they grow, change, alter.. or in some cases.. how they don't. Traditionally, your bad guys or villains won't arc.

I'm sure we could come up with countless great examples, but I'd definitely say one that pops out is definitely Michael Corleone. From where we see him at the start of the movie, to the closing of the door on Kay.. it's brilliant.

So in michaels case, his character arc is what made his character grow? Never really thought of it like that

My personal pick to add would be Edward Norton in Primal Fear

Do you mean American History X?

Cuz in Primal Fear, he didn't change at all. It was like A Clockwork Orange. We as an audience changed in our appreciation for what kinda person the character was and what that means to us. But he's the same person at the end that he was in the beginning.

My pick would be Guy Pearce in Memento. It's insane how Nolan found a way to show character growth in a guy with no short term memory, who's story is told in reverse.

Last edited:
In Primal Fear, Norton wasn't really a character like that. He was a plot device/trope. Hence, the twist in the end. That's not growth, he was gaming everybody from the start.

AHX or 25th Hour, sure.

Last edited:
So example of character arc would be Jon Voight in Midnight Cowboy; started as a small town Texas kid with a horrible past, but then became a male prostitute then ended up just living in Florida, no real development, just reacting to different situations.

An example of character development would be Dustin Hoffman in Midnight Cowboy; a selfish street rat becomes a compassionate friend, not much changes in his life, or events form his life but a lot changes with his mind state.

What about Dan Akroyd and Eddie Murphy in Trading Places? They both went through a bunch of stuff and changed in the process. Is that where arc and development intersect?

Side note - every time I bring up a classic 80s movie, I start to get scared about the remake possibilities. Like a new Trading Places with Kevin Hart and Topher Grace or something. Nightmare.

An arc is just simply a character changing. They exist in their world at the start of the movie.. things happen.. then by the end of the movie, they're changed as a result.

Character development is everything that makes a character. A character should have a point of view, beliefs, personality, a need, flaws, a backstory, etc.. all that makes for a well-developed character. And characters should and will likely arc as well. They change as a result of the story.. and in some cases.. they don't change and maybe that's the point.

Blake Snyder, who wrote Save the Cat, suggests that everybody arcs.. except for bad guys and villains. and Syd Field has a lot of great points on characters as well, particularly that they had a POV, attitude, dramatic need, and transformation.

Last edited:
What about Dan Akroyd and Eddie Murphy in Trading Places? They both went through a bunch of stuff and changed in the process. Is that where arc and development intersect?
Definitely.

Akroyd got the development since he changed his ways after being screwed. It was just an arc for Eddie's character though.

I haven't had a chance to... well that's not true, but I'm waiting on seeing it with my brother.

I should have just seen it today and lied to him about it :lol: If not, I'll see it on my next day off because I don't want to fall behind with the summer movies coming up.

I almost did the weekend it open, but the avalanche of disappoint came, and we were like ehhhh...we'll catch it whenever else. :lol:

Last times I ignored all that were IM3 and...two movies I'm gonna rewatch soon. :nerd:

This movie looked kinda interesting before...maybe not for me?
But this trailer made it something I gotta look for.

Last edited:
WAIT!!

Where did you see MOS???? You saw in the theatre, right? You weren't givin me all that off some bootleg bull **** were you? :lol:

Past two days I watched Transporter 1&2 and Homefront.

Not sure why I'm watching so many Statham flicks :lol:

Snowpiercer will be my next watch. Korean directed, so should be interesting.

Last edited:
S5 of The Wire, final season.

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTT

Man some of these eps make me wish I was watching this while NT was making threads for it. This dude McNulty be having me laughing hard the way Bunk be reacting to his wild ****. Creating serial killers :rofl: Son was a step away from killing these homeless ppl himself. The way Bunk kept giving him and Lester **** :lol: Then when the FBI profilers basically described McNulty like Lester said they would :lol:

Then this dude Omar. Son jumping outta window 5 or 6 flights up :rofl: Son limping everywhere jacking fools :rofl: Too many lulz. Should've stayed retired. He on this warpath and then got caught slipping hard. Aint even get his revenge.

Prop Joe :smh: Funny *** *****. Shame it had to be him. Simply seemed it was the end of the old guard.

Held it back but I gotta say I aint like this dude Marlo at all. **** that *****. I mean he kinda came off as a combo of String and Avon given he was smart but still hood enough to off ****** but he just rubbed me the wrong way the way he went about **** almost until the end. Then the way he just use ************* like that traitorous cur Cheese (real talk that ***** move on his own uncle, Prop Joe, a la D'Angelo almost made me dislike Method Man :smh: , glad he died though).

Another dude I aint care for is Carcetti. I dunno, the way dudes still call him that in the GoT thread had me thinking he was gonna be entertaining. It goes without saying Littlefinger > Carcetti. Son always getting caught in the middle with his bull ****. I had thought he was for real but once his advisors start mentioning running for gov. in 2 years I realized he wasn't about **** either. I mean you either stick to your word and help the ppl or you look out for yourself. He kept getting caught in the middle and not accomplishing much because of it. Son was no better than the last mayor, fine with eating all that ****. From that angle it was pretty clear the point of that storytelling. You come in talking change and all that but end up beding over to the system and becoming another cog. Son never really semed mayoral after he got the job either. Never seemed settled.

The snitching continued in the show though. I mean damn Kima snitching on her own ppl ****** it all up for Lester and Jimmy. I was almost seeing light at the end of tunnel thinking that reporter would go to far and stage a homeless death or actually do it himself. Then there's the whole no consequences for dude :smh: I aint like that **** at all.

At the end I was almost thinking McNulty was gonna become FBI with some help from his friend. One way to keep scratching that itch cuz honestly I see no hope for dude now that he aint police. When he was laying low doing good all of S4 you would think it was cases that made him the way he is and all the frustration of the bull **** chain of command but I think it's just him.

Props to Daniels. Thought he was gonna swallow all that ****. :smh: @ Dukie, maybe he's the next Bubs. :lol: if Sittner (sp?) becomes the next Jimmy McNulty, liked how they did a call back to like the 1st ep with that. :rofl: :pimp: @ Michael becoming the next Omar. Wonder if he out the closet too :lol:

One thing I kept hearing about ppl defending S2 was that it tied back in to the end of this but it didn't the way I wanted to. Figured we'd see more Nick or something or maybe that one addict white girl would play in to it. Most importantly I wanted that non Greek ***** The Greek to fall. I was just waiting for them to stumble on that and they never did. Deadass let dude off the hook for real. Then Levy manipulates his way out of his charge and somehow Clay Davis does the same. Sheeeeeet (I gotta ask is this how Baltimore ****** say **** down there? :lol: Cuz Davis wasn't the only one saying it like that :lol: ).

Overall I can rank the seasons like this:
S3 (cuz Stringer was my fav character)
S4
S1
S2/S5 (S2 is tied here cuz of guys like Ziggy and Nick. Plus I really didn't care for the journalists in S5. That was one group I was like **** them and the ripping off the Stephen Glass story)

Show was great and definitely ranks up there with my favs but I gotta say it's not among the undeniable best. Gotta ask though was the show canceled after 5 seasons or did the creators plan to naturally end it there?

Last edited:
So, does anyone in the thread like the show Hannibal?

Because it's my favorite show on television right now.

Mads Mikkelson KILLS it for me man. The dude is Hannibal Lecter. He's exactly as I imagined he would be if Hannibal was a free man.

I mean, there really isn't any aspect of his character I don't like. There are others parts of the show I don't really care for, but in terms of him? He's great.

Zik, you know about Glass???? From the movie, or the actual live story??? (I only know the movie, the only proof I have that Hayden "could" have done Anakin right if not for George)

Back
Top Bottom