Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

title is confirmed

I will say that I've had good experiences seeing certain comedies in a packed theater. There's Something About Mary and Borat come to mind. Having everyone in the theater laughing their *****es off at the same time enhanced the experience for me.

Anybody notice how spoiler sensitive we are now? Five years ago it seemed like people didn't care if the ending of a tv show THEY WOULD EVER WATCH was spoiled. Today, it seems like it's the exact opposite. :lol:

Like on talk and radio shows if the hosts go into discussion about a movie or tv show they warn the audience heavily beforehand. I remember when Sopranos ended, the day after , there was no such thing.

Just some random thoughts I thought today :lol:

I didn't like the Sopranos as a whole, but I liked some characters/character arcs.

What I liked:

I loved Paulie and all the crap he went through. I liked Richie, Uncle Jun, Little Carmine, Tony's top earner's arc, the italy arc, Sil, Raphie, and Furio.

The opening song was good.

What I disliked:

Carmela, AJ, Meadow, Janice, Tony, sexy therapist, the list goes on.
Each season didn't build onto the next nor did it make me feel motivated to continue onto the next season.
I mainly watched the show for the characters I liked rather than expecting a captivating story.
I watched the show with an open mind until season 6.

Thank you to the person who told me that the Sopranos was about tony's family as much as it was about the mob.

Otherwise, I would have had an even more negative opinion of the show.

2.5/5

Srs

Anybody notice how spoiler sensitive we are now? Five years ago it seemed like people didn't care if the ending of a tv show THEY WOULD EVER WATCH was spoiled. Today, it seems like it's the exact opposite.
laugh.gif

Like on talk and radio shows if the hosts go into discussion about a movie or tv show they warn the audience heavily beforehand. I remember when Sopranos ended, the day after , there was no such thing.

Just some random thoughts I thought today
laugh.gif
I think it's because shows are more available than in the past.

Now more and more people have to-watch lists, so they'll be more wary of spoilers of shows they plan to watch.

Also if it's one of those shows that are really popular that just happened to miss out on.

Last edited:
@CP1708  

@Big J 33  

shout outs to you guys for sharing and encouraging me to watch movies solo

I'm planning on catching the earlybird showing (I think its $5 or $5.50 here for the first showing) of Godzilla 
smile.gif

i havent seen the sopranos :\

still annoyed at that weak ending to prisoners. i mean is there going to be PRI2IONERS? stupid cliffhanger.

Maaan, I have a decent theater that's like a 5 minute car ride. I've seen sooo many midnight showings of movies... Good times...

Last edited:
Review: Godzilla
---------------------------------

After an unsuccessful attempt with Matthew Broderick in 1998, The King of Monsters returns, but not the way you think. Nor is he the dastardly villain portrayed in comics and other folklore stories.

When Gareth Edwards was announced as the director for Godzilla, the modern version, cinephiles were giddy as the man has a track record of handling Monsters (2010) on the big screen. And to his credit he does not drop the ball with the character of Godzilla here, especially the fight scenes between the giant and the MUTO's. It's practically every other aspect of the film that fails to live up to expectations.

From minimal screen time for Godzilla, to horrible [human] character development; what was suppose to be the epitome of summer blockbuster may have nothing to show for it aside from it’s stellar $90+ million weekend. To me, I don’t care how much you rake in your opening weekend, that doesn’t quantify if a film is a blockbuster or not. It needs to be a great, enjoyable, fun ride at the theater, and Godzilla is far from that.

After a freak and deadly accident at a Japanese nuclear power plant in 1999 stemming from irregular radiation devastates the population, physicist Joe Brody (Bryan Cranston) is hell bent to prove there is something more then meets the eye. As the government tries to convince the public that the accident was caused by large earthquakes, Cranston’s stoic yet sort-of shifty character is thrown in the forefront. Flashing 15 years forward, the cover up is still ongoing and Brody has gone all “mad-scientist” on us trying to get people to read his files and convince them of his theory.

Now a grown man, Joe’s son Ford (Aaron Taylor-Johnson) is just coming home from the Navy where he was an expert at diffusing bombs. He returns to his wife Elle (Elizabeth Olsen) and a young son, but just as he’s ready to settle down in his California abode, he’s forced to fly to Japan to bail his estranged father out of jail, as he tried to trespass into his old home which is in an area still contaminated from the radiation.

Ford pleads for his father to let go of the idea of something other than earthquakes caused the disturbances; another incident takes place, this time convincing everyone something isn’t right. Giving away too much more will ruin whatever suspense you may have with the film, but it’s not out titular monster that we see first.
Edwards does a decent job of teasing Godzilla and his appearance throughout almost the entire first two acts of the film, which, while effective, are a bit disappointing. We get shots of his spikes and a few passing lines about the legend but not much else. Instead the focus is on the MUTO’s (Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organism.) These creatures are enormous fly/insect-like monsters whose ultimate goal is to mate with each other but will destroy any and everything along the way, including San Francisco , Las Vegas and Japan to get to each other. Credit has to be given to Edwards for having the patience to unveil the curtain on the main attraction for so long, but I think the suspense does not come without it’s negative drawbacks.

Too much time is spent grasping at the family dynamic, followed by the eventual military involvement to take down the MUTO’s and possibly even Godzilla. This tactic just goes to show you that even when you devote time to characters, without a proper script their development is eternally stunted, rendering them useless as support for the beast at hand.

With a harrowing score by the great Alexandre Desplat, the feel that a monster is lurking just beyond the horizon is ever present. Seamus McGarvey aid’s Edwards’ misguided directing with mostly strong cinematography, really coming to life during the battles scenes when Godzilla is actually on screen.

There was a clear agenda of keeping our behemoth hidden from the start of production even through the trailers, Edwards successfully created the hype for the film. How would his Godzilla stack up next to the traditional version we knew? How would it fair against the 1998 version?

Godzilla himself, in the film, does not disappoint. From the look, to the action to the iconic roar, it’s all there. And it’s fun; the battle scenes are strong but short. The entire film around these few moments pales in comparison rendering it a massive disappointment in my eyes. Characters like scientist Ichiro Serizawa played by Ken Watanabe and his partner Dr. Vivienne Graham (Sally Hawkins) are small pawns, not used to their fullest potential.

Elizabeth Olsen is simply too talented to be wasted in this kind of a film in such a meaningless role, and Aaron Taylor-Johnson has the charisma of a rock. If he wasn’t totally miscast then the burden of this issue falls in the hands of the faulty script that made his character the lamest action hero any summer can possibly offer.

Max Borenstein, who wrote the film based on a story from David Callaham, really dropped the ball as the human characters, genuinely good actors in Cranston, Watanabe, Olsen and more are utterly and truly wasted. The cinematography and pay off of massive chaos when Godzilla takes on the MUTO’s simply isn’t enough for me to gloss over the pile of negatives that stacked up by the time we got to our climax. While infinitely better (not really saying much) then it’s Roland Emmerich directed predecessor, for me the the 2014 rendering of Gojira will be just another failed summer action flick that was more promotion then performance.

Rating: C-

How is Six Feet Under? I've been curious but I don't know anyone that watched it.

It's complicated. I loved the show while I was watching it. Loved it when it was on. The things it had to say about life and death are so profound. And the ways it would break everyone down emotionally and existentially were just...pretty amazing for TV. It had a way of tackling sadness, without being depressing? ... But that was while it was on. And I don't think I could imagine watching it again. Especially now that Michael C. Hall has been burned into my mind as Dexter. And Rainn Wilson is burned in as Dwight. :lol:

The only show that's been on recently that it reminds me of at all, is probably FNL. I mean at heart it's the anti-FNL. :lol: But as far as a show with that strong writing, casting and acting, that's just about everyday life and relationships, and damn near feels like no one's writing it, this is just people living.

And I'm not sure if it's a spoiler, but a lot of shows don't end well...this arguably had the greatest finale of any modern TV show.

Nah.. I'm good.

:lol:

I might rewatch The Sopranos thanks to the whole Amazon Prime deal and do some MrO type essays on it. It's been awhile since I've seen the series.

BB Season 5, five episodes in.

-Glad Mike is back this season and is essentially running **** alongside Walt.
-I can understand why Skyler resents Walt, but trying to drown herself and then threaten to bruise herself if it gets him away from the kids :smh: ... it's not as if Walt is a user. He just straight cooks and does it with his family in mind to support them. Maybe that's selfish of me and I'm too #TeamWalter haha, but I just can't stand Skyler and how she treats him. Especailly wishing for his cancer to come back if that's what needs to happen in order for her to 'win'. Feel as if she has been selfishly been making all these moves just to keep herself safe by the series' end.
-Dead Freight episode :wow: , sick heist. Todd though shooting the kid with the tarantula :smh:

So far I'm enjoying it. 11 more left.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom