Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

You really think all of Depp's roles the past ten years have been incredibly diverse? :lol:

I mean, he's not Denzel in that his character always pretty much looks the same...

But his characters have all been the same since he started doing the Pirate films.

Okay yeah, he was in Public Enemies which was good, and Secret Window was more of the same, just in make-up.

21 Jump Street was like thirty years ago. :lol:

What's the last Depp great dramatic performance?

Last edited:
^I think he was saying all of Depp's roles have been the same not diverse.

I liked it too but I guess overall ppl didn't like the tone or pacing. Lawless kinda reminded me of PE.

Last edited:
I liked Public Enemy.

I think it's kinda like Jarhead. It wasn't bad, it just got hyped up to be something it wasn't.

Someone tells you a John Dillinger movie directed by Michael Mann, starring Depp and Cotillard...you get hyped...and don't at all expect the lame retirement years. And that whole style of digital filming worked for Collateral, but didn't fit a period piece at all. Pulled me out of it. Especially the night scenes and gun fights.

Last edited:
Mann, Depp, Cotillard, and don't forget Bale. That movie was supposed to be ridiculous. It was just, "alright". Didn't fail, wasn't horrible, but wasn't those 4 names greatness.

Still, Depp has Donnie Brasco, Blow, Ed Scissorhands, Wonka, Hatter, Jumpstreet, Nightmare on Elm Street, Pirates, I mean, that's diverse enough.
He's zeroed in on the same roles lately, but overall, Depp has a resume.

Denzel does too, he's just settled in the last few years, nothin wrong with that.

Cruise, Hanks, Pitt, Jack, Will Smith, they all settled into themselves after several roles, it happens.

OK, see, again, I'm not a movie buff. So I didn't go into all "Oooohhhh, directed by this guy, starring Depp and blah, blah, blah."

I just watched the movie.

And liked it.

Weird.

I definitely thought Public Enemy was going to be better than it was. It was Ok, I guess it just didn't meet my expectations going in.

As far as Deep goes one of my favorite movies from him is "Blow". That movie was dope but damn does it make me mad. :lol:

EVERYBODY turned on my man Boston George. I mean I understand what he was doing was wrong but that man could not trust nobody.

I think too often that people try to make comparisons all too often without ever letting something sit on it's own merit. If compared to other movies, Public Enemy doesn't measure up. Having said that however, I think it's a solid movie in it's own right. Solid acting, ok story, ok script in the hands of a solid director. Also the cast is phenomenal. It's the first movie where I noticed Jason Clarke who up until today I didn't know was Australian. Damn, he does a decent Chicagoan accent...

OK, see, again, I'm not a movie buff. So I didn't go into all "Oooohhhh, directed by this guy, starring Depp and blah, blah, blah."

I just watched the movie.

And liked it.

Weird.

Yeaaa...nahh. You're acting we're saying it sucked.

Or like it's only movieheads who caught the okie doke. We're not talking about Alexander Payne or something...Michael Mann. The Insider. Last of the Mohicans. In the ads...from the director of Heat and Collateral. A serious role from Johnny Depp (remember he used to do those??). Christian Bale...there's your credibility. Legend of John Dillinger. Hold onto your butts.

It's not comparing it to other movies. It's the potential on the screen, and what they left on the table. Scenes that feel like...okay...script was half-baked huh? Not really telling too much of a story. I get he's experimenting with these new cameras, but it's a period piece that's screamin we shot this in the forest behind my house last weekend.

But we only liked it fine, so...snob alert, ofc.

Last edited:
Oh ok I can understand the high expectations. I guess it's how you frame it. I didn't particularly a big dose of the hype for PE before it came out even knowing most of the names in it.

Although when you tell me Depp is playing a big time criminal it is hard not to expect some mix of Blow and Donnie Brasco.

Like I said though, I liked it but on the other hand I wouldn't rank it high on Depp's outstanding roles nor would I put the movie in a top 5 fav of that year. It was just a movie I enjoyed and wasn't mad at.

No, I'm acting like you're judging it based on expectations, expectations derived from knowledge of who the director is and who that actress was and that Bale dude.

Which you are.

(collectively)

I'm judging it based on... seeing the trailer, being intrigued, and walking into the theater, knowing nothing other than Johnny Depp.

Coincidence that I thought it was great? I don't think so.

Disagree? Cool.

Oh ok I can understand the high expectations. I guess it's how you frame it. I didn't particularly a big dose of the hype for PE before it came out even knowing most of the names in it.

Although when you tell me Depp is playing a big time criminal it is hard not to expect some mix of Blow and Donnie Brasco.

Like I said though, I liked it but on the other hand I wouldn't rank it high on Depp's outstanding roles nor would I put the movie in a top 5 fav of that year. It was just a movie I enjoyed and wasn't mad at.
Same.

No, I'm acting like you're judging it based on expectations, expectations derived from knowledge of who the director is and who that actress was and that Bale dude.

Nah, you're right, it's not a coincidence if you watch any movie like you've never seen a movie before and don't expect to ever see one again.

And then surprisingly, that movie is great to you. :wow:

It's just weird, when you tell people why they did or didn't like something as much as you did.

Especially when it boils down to...you saw the trailer and thought it sounded good? :rolleyes Set yourself up.

Disagree? Cool.

Last edited:
My favorite TV shows this year in no particular order; House Of Cards, The Americans, Hannibal, Elementary, & True Detective.

Nah, you're right, it's not a coincidence if you watch any movie like you've never seen a movie before and don't expect to ever see one again.

And then surprisingly, that movie is great to you.
eek.gif

It's just weird, when you tell people why they did or didn't like something as much as you did.

Especially when it boils down to...you saw the trailer and thought it sounded good?
eyes.gif
Set yourself up.
Disagree? Cool.
Yeah, trailers have this weird effect on some people. They see the trailer, get impressed, and go see the movie.

Weird.

But however weird that may be, that is NOTHING similar to "I expect this to be good because of the director, actress, and actors." Like, the movie could be about cooking eggs, and you go in expecting something from it that it never claimed to be: magnificent.

Going in w/ an expectation derived from the trailer is going in w/ an expectation derived from something you were told to expect.

It's like someone upset the Lakers didn't win w/ Malone & GP, as opposed to someone else being impressed w/ the season.

I'm sure you're going to shoot that comparison down and make me regret using it, but in the end, no one promised you magnificence, so being let down because it was just decent, and decent failed your expectations of magnificence... that's on you.

I went in based on what the movie promised me from the trailer, and came out entertained, not disappointed.

Anyone looking forward to the strain?
Don't know if I should say I'm looking forward to it but I know I'll watch it. I have little to no idea what it's about. I'm assuming strain is in reference to some strain of disease that makes ppl turn in to something or contagious or act differently in a horror kind of way since it's Del Toro. Other than that I just know it's another show based on a series of books.

Yeah, trailers have this weird effect on some people. They see the trailer, get impressed, and go see the movie.
That's what just about everyone who saw the movie did. And you're saying anyone who could've possibly done that and left thinking that movie wasn't too great, must've got some backwards "expectations" in em cuz *insert movie nerd bs* Only explanation.

But however weird that may be, that is NOTHING similar to "I expect this to be good because of the director, actress, and actors." Like, the movie could be about cooking eggs, and you go in expecting something from it that it never claimed to be: magnificent.
What kinda backwards, reductive logic is that? So no one can see talented names and think something might be good? So every movie is great? That's an explanation for why anyone who's ever posted in this thread has every disliked (or not liked enough to Ska's standard) any movie at all. The knock on Public Enemies was that it fell short of magnificent? Oh. Okay, none of the other stuff I said. Nothing about the way it was filmed or the writing. Just that people walked in expecting The Godfather or bust.

Going in w/ an expectation derived from the trailer is going in w/ an expectation derived from something you were told to expect.
Is this the machine Dope was talking about?

It's like someone upset the Lakers didn't win w/ Malone & GP, as opposed to someone else being impressed w/ the season.
Movies are sports and it's just win or lose. I'm learning.

I'm sure you're going to shoot that comparison down and make me regret using it, but in the end, no one promised you magnificence, so being let down because it was just decent, and decent failed your expectations of magnificence... that's on you.

I went in based on what the movie promised me from the trailer, and came out entertained, not disappointed.
You have a really strange sense of perspective. It's like you're annoyed that people reached just about the same point as you, but from a different direction. No one here said it sucked. At the worst people said it was an alright movie. But you're mad that they said they thought it'd be better? How dare them, right?

Last edited:
Arrived at the same point, from a different direction? 

I mentioned Public Enemies as a list of Depp's flicks, and got laughed at. Literally. Go look.

I enjoyed it.

They laughed at me bringing it up.

Same place, from a different direction?

Ummm... no.

They? This thread ain't new. A Driveby don't count.

Your post:
I liked Public Enemy.

Followed by:
Okay yeah, he was in Public Enemies which was good, and Secret Window was more of the same, just in make-up.
I liked it too but I guess overall ppl didn't like the tone or pacing.
That movie was supposed to be ridiculous. It was just, "alright". Didn't fail, wasn't horrible, but wasn't those 4 names greatness.
I definitely thought Public Enemy was going to be better than it was. It was Ok, I guess it just didn't meet my expectations going in.
I think it's a solid movie in it's own right. Solid acting, ok story, ok script in the hands of a solid director.

Don't know if I should say I'm looking forward to it but I know I'll watch it. I have little to no idea what it's about. I'm assuming strain is in reference to some strain of disease that makes ppl turn in to something or contagious or act differently in a horror kind of way since it's Del Toro. Other than that I just know it's another show based on a series of books.

It's about vampires.

I hope it's good because it would hold me off until the walking dead comes back.

"OOOOHHH!!!! Depp and Mann and Bale and [whatever her name is]??!?! THIS IS GOING TO BE GREAT!!!!"

*movie ends up decent*

"Well that was a disappointment. 
frown.gif
"

-------------------------------

"Nice trailer!!! Seems like an interesting story! I'm in!"

*movie ends up decent*

"Me likey. 
happy.gif
"

Same place, different direction. 
laugh.gif