Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Good Will Hunting is the kinda movie where when I first watched it in like middle school, it was my absolute favorite movie for months. But then I kinda got over it and haven't seen it in forever. Brilliant performances from everyone, especially Robin Williams. I didn't expect from Patch Adams. :lol: And this was basically the exact role that Ben Affleck should've kept playing for forever instead of spy/mobster/action star/superhero.

I just couldn't imagine watching that movie for the first time now. It's very, very 90s. And it was so innovative and pure when it came out. Like every scene hit and felt like that was they were creating THE romance movie for bros. But now? After so many movies and stories copied and stole pieces from it, that I think it'd almost feel formula now. I mean on that Showtime show Shameless, there's a character named Lip, who's pretty dead-on living out that story. And then the whole Apatow wave happened.

The performances and writing will probably stay really strong, but all the other stuff around it. Especially babyfaced Ben and Matt. I feel like that's a movie that had to get in there a long while ago, to be what it is to the people who still hold it way up high.

Maybe not, though. :lol:

I think I appreciate the film 10000000x more watching it now because of how hard hitting and strong the dialogue and chemistry was

"I gotta see about a girl" :pimp:

A buddy once quoted that line to me and I just smiled ear to ear and replied "Son of a *****, stole my line" That's probably my favorite line in a movie full of great quotes and Robin Williams story about how he met his wife and them acting out the home run and everything was just perfect.

Good Will Hunting is almost too good of a movie... it does it all so damn well. Great performances, brilliant writing, every scene matters, memorable characters.. it's definitely one of my top 10 movies.

Robin Williams improvised that line too. It wasn't in the script and Gus Van Sant re shot the scene a handful of times and then said F it and went with the first thing he said which was the off the cuff line that made the film

and to think that Ben and Matt were under 25 when they wrote and had the film purchased is incredible.

my bucket list consists of writing a screenplay and to think these 2 won an OSCAR for the film they wrote at such a young age is unreal. So good

What up though. Trying to am write a comedy that'll win best picture...gotta keep writing though.

Straight up walked out of Rises, have yet to see anything after Bane died...I'm kick myself for staying that long.

If you don't like Nicholsons Joker or Keaton's Batman, Carey's Riddler, Arnold's 'Freeeezzzzzeee' yea, too me, those are the movies for the people that love movies in general, as opposed to those who like movies to be cool. They were campy and cliche, but ill be damned if a Batman movie marathon came on and I didn't watch em all...except rises of course.

No love for John Q? 'Im not going to bury my son! My son is going to bury me.' That is the only movie I've ever seen that caught me in my feels....shed slight year when his son gave him the strongman at the end.

you deserve to be muted on NT forever for walking out of TDKR. Disrespect and foolish

^ There are some emotionally raw parts but it's a hopeful movie... The Elliot Smith soundtrack is depressing though... Fits the movie but damn it's depressing.

you deserve to be muted on NT forever for walking out of TDKR. Disrespect and foolish
Sorry man, the movie actually made me mad. I wanted to walk out after him and Cat Women's first interaction, I was like "Mannnn" but it was Batman, it was Nolan, it was Bale, so I stuck it out a little bit more...but when Cat Women starts talking about "they can't keep this up" I was done with the movie. It felt so shallow, so forced, it was to damn self aware, which is good for some movies, but not for this type of movie. It's like Nolan forgot the basic show don't tell, I hate when movies do that, don't tell me how terrible these people are, show me. Then Bane...as cool as he was a shallow character imo....the whole movie went overly philosophical, but in a bad way.

Silver Linings Playbook is creeping into my favorites list. I keep watching it whenever Showtime has been playing it. Such great performances from each of the cast...

Edit - This sounds very promising. Denzel with Fuqua is already nice but add True Detective's Nic Pizzolatto having written the script? :smokin

Denzel Washington Eyed for Antoine Fuqua’s ‘Magnificent Seven’ Remake

Antoine Fuqua and Denzel Washington are hitting a groove. Fuqua directed Washington to an Oscar in Training Day. Their latest team-up, The Equalizer, is gaining so much buzz work has already begun on a sequel. Now the actor is in early talks to join the director in a remake of the classic John Sturges film The Magnificent Seven.

The remake has been in the works for some time, and Fuqua was recently approached to direct it based on a script by True Detective creator Nic Pizzolatto. But if Washington come on board, this film officially hits the fast track.

Deadline and Schmoes Know broke the news of Washington potentially coming on board the project. He’s the latest in a long line of A-listers who have expressed interest in the remake over the past. Tom Cruise was one of the earliest names attached and then Matt Damon, Morgan Freeman and Kevin Costner were all rumored after that. It’s unclear if Washington would be an addition to a cast like that or if he’s coming onto a clean slate. It seems likely the Washington/Fuqua version of the remake would be a whole new cast, but that’s speculation.

The Magnificent Seven, released in 1960, starred Yul Brynner, Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, James Coburn, Robert Vaughn and others in a story where a small town hired seven gunfighters to protect it. The film itself was a spiritual remake of Akira Kurosawa’s Seven Samurai and was followed by three lesser sequels and several other remakes and iterations.

I think Washington leading a cast with Fuqua at the helm is a very strong core for a worthy remake of The Magnificent Seven. We’ll have to see if they get the deals worked out, how it fits in with The Equalizer 2 as well as the films Fuqua – suddenly a very hot director again – is attached to.

http://www.slashfilm.com/denzel-washington-magnificent-seven-remake/

Last edited:
I'm feelin the John Q love am1. :pimp:

The scene where he was going to take his life for his son punched me straight in the feels gut.

Too many quotables.
Great performances all around.
Denzel at his best.

Movie can be rewatched for the rest of my life whenever it's on. :pimp:

Another feels movie is an obvious choice. 50/50. JGL in the one scene where he finally breaks down in the car. My goodness.

Blue Valentine. An all time favorite with my all time favorite actor. I can't watch that too much, too damn said. Too many feels. Too much real life. From both sides.

And I ain't even mad at you am1 for walking out of TDKR.

Sorry venom I respect your views, but that was an awful ending to the trilogy.

I didn't walk out. But I almost wished I had after it finished.

Cop out ending. But I can't be mad at Nolan too much. I have a feeling if Heath had been alive it would of been a better movie. He probably had a vision he couldn't fulfill because of Heath's tragedy.

So I don't want to be too disrespectful. It was awful, but I understood. Unfortunately his plan B script just did not cut it. Truly unfortunate, but I'm grateful I got to witness the greatness that took place in TDK.

DKR was great. But what am I to expect from people who watch Lord of the Rings :smh: :smh: :smh:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Dont attack me bros

Last edited:
:lol: :lol: :lol: That spoiler.

I hated John Q when I first watched it when it came out, never watched it again after that. I expected action and death, but nah... just pretend feels.

Wait... People didnt like the Bane voice? It was awesome

"The BATMAN didnt murder Harvey Dent, he saved my boyyyyyyyy"

"Or perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane"

mronegative mronegative You need to chill breh

Last edited:
And you thought TDKR was "great?" :wow:

:lol: The anti-dope.

Like...I don't care how much baggage I brought in, TDKR should've been better than it was. And it just wasn't. It was less than the sum of its parts. I mean, pieces of it are really great, but almost randomly peppered across the film. Anne Hathaway saved the movie imo. And there were so many interesting, ambitious ideas they tried to hit on in the movie, that it's hard not to appreciate it. But so much of it just came out like a joke or like they just said **** it, we're out of time, let's just shoot something and keep it moving.

And I will never take Bane's voice seriously.

It's not a bad movie or series ending or anything. It's just, there's maybe 10 scenes that I can't stop stonefacing at, even though I know they're coming.

Last edited:
Damn...I forgot Joseph Gordon Levitt was even in this movie...that's how pointless his part was. Ill check it again...maybe smoking one during will make it better.

O, J, I had a scenario for you.

Been thinkin on the Matrix. We've touched at times on the sequel. (Reloaded, Revolutions never happened except for the Club Scene, and the final fight with Smith, but I just pretend those were the credit scenes for Reloaded)

So, clearly, the OG Matrix is the start of it all, it's the idea, the freshness, it introduced us. So at the start, it's the #1.

But Reloaded came in, and to me, is the better movie, just more straight to it.

What I mean is, you open with the Matrix, never seen it before, ok, why this girl in latex sittin here, feds, oh ****, why she up in the air like that, wait, what, she flyin thru the window, lands smooth, guns out, what the hell???? Now Keanu, looks......like Keanu, blank, walkin around, at work, cube, now he online, follow the white rabbit, what in the.......now the feds got him, wait, why his mouth, what....wakes up. What kinna **** am I watchin right now? Now he really wakes up, he's a battery, lots of batteries, someone flushed the toilet. Now he's bald. Crappy sweaters, crappy food, they live in a submarine. Red pill, blue pill, who gives a ****, Morpheus is cool there's a war, the world is not real, we're all computers, what in the heck is happening, dojo. Oh ****, DOJO!!!! Fight, fight, fight, this is awesome, look at em go. Now they seein the Oracle whatever that is. Spoon bends, cool. You're not the one, got it. Uh oh, sellout, Morpheus and Smith fight, this is awesome. Now Neo needs to help, guns. Holy ****!!!! Lobby scene, hooooooooooooly ****. Helicopter, dodge bullets, holy ****!!! Fight Smith, I'm about to pass out, Neo's dead. Sad ending. Neo's alive, this is awesome, whoa he just ate Smith, phone rings, Neo can fly.

Original. For 2 hours, you enjoy 30 minutes, the hour and a half is you sifting thru some weird stuff. But it gets you there eventually, and you loved it.

Now Reloaded, we skip all that. We here. We ready. You know who is who, you know what we can do, let's dance. Upgrades. Superman fly moon pic. Then they really dance, in crappy sweaters, in a cave, techno. Oracle, lil Asian bad *** fight, awesome. Smith, lots of Smiths. Holy ****. Now Merovingian. Check out the rack on his girl, goodness gracious. Twins. The Chateau, one of the most beautiful scenes ever. Freeway chase, unreal. I'm over an hour in, and only been bored while they were dancin in the cave for 7 minutes. Now they got the keymaker, and enter the building, and Neo is talkin too........God? Something something something, ergo, something, the end.

For my money, the Matrix really only needs the Dojo, and the Lobby, and I'm straight. Gimme those clips, I'm good.

Reloaded, I can watch the entire movie, outside of the damn cave dance, and be all in, the whole time. Powers are upgraded. Almost everything is in the Matrix, and beautiful, and green hued. Not grimy like the Matrix. The outfits, the scenery, the soundtrack (freeway scene music was insane)

So, while I understand the first is what brought it to light, and is probably considered the better overall film, I have Reloaded ranked ahead of it sheerly off what they pulled off. Got a little convoluted, and maybe lost a few things, but I thought the God dude, and Merovingian and the twins, and the epic scenes, and the Keymaker made up for all that.

When we were talkin about what movies would you rather have, pick this or that, with this franchise, I think I would take the sequel over the original, sort of like how we chopped up Bad Boys. 1 may have been tighter, but 2 upped the ante, even with some mixed crazy in it. Can't Reloaded get that same vibe as Bad Boys 2, even if the first is technically the better film?

Back
Top Bottom