Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Nasim is fine as ****. I hope she succeeds in everything solely cuz I want to see more of her.

That she can be funny and has one of those personalities just makes it better

I get what you're saying though, this current crop sucks balls. We'll see if they can be more creative to try more things. I tend to wonder what exactly did they do in their auditions to be main cast members or even supporting.

One main thing I notice is the real funny new comedians/actors are finding different avenues to get fame.

I can see McKinnon and Cecily Strong getting big evenually, but the writing staff isn't doing them any favors.

Adam Devine was on Conan talking about how he auditioned once, and they have to bring in impressions (though I'm sure there's much more to the process).

I think Vanessa Bayer is funny, though I'd guess she got the job based on her Miley Cyrus impression alone.

One main thing I notice is the real funny new comedians/actors are finding different avenues to get fame.

I think that's a big part of it. So many different ways to get out there nowadays. And I think being on SNL is a lot of work if you're one of the primary cast members. If I was an up and coming comedian, I'd probably take my chances with trying to break through with some kind of web-based show than try to get on SNL.

Adam Devine was on Conan talking about how he auditioned once, and they have to bring in impressions (though I'm sure there's much more to the process).

His character on Workaholics is ridiculous. It's great. I thought the 1st season of Broad City was better than the most recent season of Workaholics though.

I think that's a big part of it. So many different ways to get out there nowadays. And I think being on SNL is a lot of work if you're one of the primary cast members. If I was an up and coming comedian, I'd probably take my chances with trying to break through with some kind of web-based show than try to get on SNL.

Yeah, and I think SNL makes its members sign for 6 years or something which is a big commitment. A lot of comics probably don't even bother these days, which could explain the thin talent.

And some well-known comics have worked briefly and either left or got fired because they weren't a great fit. But they were able to succeed because there are so many options out there these days. Hannibal Buruess was a writer that got one sketch on air, Jenny Slate was a cast member for one year.

These days circles of comics can get stuff like The League/Human Giant/Adult Swim

Ah man Commando is on cable TV. Too Dope.
My favorite Arnold flick after True Lies.

Just realized he had on Guess Boots, I don't remember these being popular until 89-90ish, this movie was 85

Last edited:
This SNL cast is probably the weakest in awhile. I enjoyed the Samberg/Hader/Armisen/Wiig era a lot even though people were ******** on it while they were on. I like Taran Killiam a lot from the current cast. Moynihan, McKinnon, Strong all are pretty good too. I thought Nasim Pedrad was really good at doing characters but they were using her less and less the past few seasons, hope it works out for her outside of SNL since she's out now.

Sidenote- Had no clue McKinnon was a lesbian until today.

Edit- just read Michael Che from The Daily Show will be co-hosting Weekend Update with Cecily. I think that pairing has a lot of potential.

Last edited:
the-sea-of-trees-matthew-mcconaughey-ken-watanabe1-600x399.jpg

In The Sea of Trees Matthew McConaughey plays Arthur, a man who has lost his way in life and treks into the thick forest at the foot of Mount Fuji looking for existential answers. Sounds right up the philosophical alley of Rust Cohle in True Detective. “They are very different projects and characters yet they are both poetic,” McConaughey tells EW. “I say another title for this film is ‘You’ve got to go through annihilation to get to salvation’. It’s one hell of a survival story.”

Gus Van Sant is directing—currently shooting in rural Massachusetts and then Japan—and it costars Ken Watanabe (above, standing) and Naomi Watts. McConaughey says Gus Van Sant is the right man for the material. “Gus is a wonderful voyeur and a really gentle soul of a man. He’s got the right sensibility for a film like this. He listens and considers any ideas that I throw at him and I undeniably trust the direction he gives me,” he says. “He’s a lot of fun to create with.”

McConaughey also has a prediction for how audiences will react after seeing The Sea of Trees. “Everyone is going to leave the theater and have their own walk and talk through the parking lot to muse about its meanings, what it was about and what it wasn’t, what was real and what was a dream.”
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/09/...ea-of-trees-its-one-hell-of-a-survival-story/

This SNL cast is probably the weakest in awhile. I enjoyed the Samberg/Hader/Armisen/Wiig era a lot even though people were ******** on it while they were on. I like Taran Killiam a lot from the current cast. Moynihan, McKinnon, Strong all are pretty good too. I thought Nasim Pedrad was really good at doing characters but they were using her less and less the past few seasons, hope it works out for her outside of SNL since she's out now.

Sidenote- Had no clue McKinnon was a lesbian until today.

Edit- just read Michael Che from The Daily Show will be replacing Cecily in Weekend Update. I think she was great but Che is pretty funny on Daily Show.

SNL has various deals for its members. Getting on is hell, and working there is hell... but I'll be damned if I didn't want it.

I guess you're on stage, in this room Loren and a bunch of other people...no one laughs...NO ONE. I imagine it would be hell.

Cecily was the better anchor, I think she was solid and should have stayed. Che could be good, but the other guy on there right now is weird.

The biggest issue has been the writing since Fey left. Losing guys like Hader, Wiig, Samberg, etc. hurt too, because they could help out weak sketches with their charisma and characters... but the writing has been going downhill for awhile.

There's bright spots here and there, but it's a rebuilding time.

Last edited:
Cecily was the better anchor, I think she was solid and should have stayed. Che could be good, but the other guy on there right now is weird.

The biggest issue has been the writing since Fey left. Losing guys like Hader, Wiig, Samberg, etc. hurt too, because they could help out weak sketches with their charisma and characters... but the writing has been going downhill for awhile.

There's bright spots here and there, but it's a rebuilding time.

Dejavu this comment. Felt like Groundhog Day for a second.

Back
Top Bottom