Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

^
Yeah, the movie was so weak and Woodley was not believable as some tough girl. Wonder if the book is actually good because the movie seemed so stupid.

I had to run errands yesterday and was flipping through the movie channels before leaving the house. Saw that Up In The Air was on and watched some of it. Don't know why I never got around to watch it before. I already worship Vera amd seeing her just wearing that necktie had me sweating. Not sure if it was a body double or not but damn it looked good.

Last edited:
Inadequate direction can definitely be a major deterrent to good acting performances - just look at the entire second Star Wars trilogy

I watched divergent because my son wanted to watch it but I felt like I had lost IQ points for having seen it. That movie had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I think Shailene Woodley is a solid actress but her performance was very hollow & kinda lifeless in the flick. I attribute a lot of the reason this movie failed to deliver on the director, he was in way over his head IMO & it showed. Casting kinda sucked too...
That's how I feel about the majority of her work that I've bothered to watch so far.

Her work clicked in movies like The Descendants, The Spectacular Now, & The Fault in Our Stars. Did it stretch & push her abilities? No but I thought they were solid performances given the subject matter.

I understand taking the money & running but Divergent wasn't a good project for her to take. In addition to being what looked like a bad story line, bad script, & an inexperienced director helming a big project... All these things contributed to her looking out of her element.

I still can't believe the flick grossed $150 mil...

Last edited:
I still can't believe the flick grossed $150 mil...

I can. The target demographic for that movie is not very discerning. Its part of the reason that Hollywood studios churn out so much crap.

Since Avatar became the highest grossing movie of all time, nothing surprises me about box office results anymore.

Last edited:
Collider is "re-reviewing" each of David Fincher's movies. I've found them to be a fun read looking back on his work.

It's interesting to note that he turned down helming Star Wars. He could've easily taken the $$$ & ran but decided for whatever reason that it didn't fit for him.

His quote about A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back was interesting too...

“I always thought of Star Wars as the story of two slaves [C-3PO and R2-D2] who go from owner to owner, witnessing their masters’ folly, the ultimate folly of man… I thought it was an interesting idea in the first two, but it’s kind of gone by Return Of The Jedi.”

Last edited:
Pitt applauds LaBeouf’s performance in Fury. “Oh, I love this boy. He’s one of the best actors I’ve ever seen. He’s full-on commitment, man. He’s living it like no one else, let me tell you,” the actor raves. “I’ve been fortunate to work with a lot of great actors. He’s one of the best I’ve seen.”

Shia the future GOAT?

Last edited:
A lot of great actors come off the rails... He's just one of the latest where there is some history chronicled. You can tell he takes his craft seriously (maybe too seriously). To tell you the truth, diagnosing from afar.. He kinda exhibits bipolar behavior.

Last edited:
Pitt applauds LaBeouf’s performance in Fury. “Oh, I love this boy. He’s one of the best actors I’ve ever seen. He’s full-on commitment, man. He’s living it like no one else, let me tell you,” the actor raves. “I’ve been fortunate to work with a lot of great actors. He’s one of the best I’ve seen.”

Shia the future GOAT?
That's funny. I would've swore I read in here or another thread that Pitt was disappointed with Shia's attitude.

Can't tell if Brad is trolling or serious.

A lot of great actors come off the rails... He's just one of the latest where there is some history chronicled. You can tell he takes his craft seriously (maybe too seriously). To tell you the truth, diagnosing from afar.. He kinda exhibits bipolar behavior.
I think he just has substance abuse problems.

Moreover, I don't think Shia is a great actor. Good but good in the kinda way for all those kid movies he did.

I don't got any problems with him but he hasn't impressed me in anything and honestly I can't think of a role where he even had the opportunity to do so (I haven't watched Nymphomaniac). If it wasn't for him getting crazy the past few years with his antics I think he still would've been typecast as the sidekick, supporting role younger character. I mean I aint even seen the Transformers with Marky Mark but you can pretty much tell the difference in what they were going for between the two. He's more of the action star take the lead guy while Shia usually plays the young inexperienced kid constantly panicking being chased but lucks out in the end guy. Granted he probably should be taking every role Justin Timberlake's been in that doesn't really expand his range to be seen as the next guy up.

Maybe Fury changes that but I kinda doubt it.

Last edited:
I like Timberlakes work, but it's the roles more so than the Acting, I think.
He doesn't suck, like some have said.

He isn't a good actor imo.

Minimal role actor. Can't carry a film and definitely doesn't make any of them better. He's bearable in good movies so you won't notice much but in bad movies he can make it worse.

I like John Cho, but I can't in good conscience get myself to watch a show called "Selfie."

^
He has a recurring role on Sleepy Hollow. It's on tonight. Hard to believe that Karen Gillan would be in selfie either.

^
He has a recurring role on Sleepy Hollow. It's on tonight. Hard to believe that Karen Gillan would be in selfie either.
You know I kept looking at the chick knowing I should recognize her but always dismissing the commercials for the show altogether.

I'd say step down for Karen but it just may be a place holder and nod from Disney since she was in GotG. Something to bide her time until something big.

Son looking like a mix of Serpico and Bickle from Taxi Driver.

I'll definitely be checking out Inherent Vice.

Back
Top Bottom