Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

probably going to catch jobs tonight

is bridge of spies worth watching? Some all time great names attached to it but not much hype at all 

I'm hopeful for Preacher but I get the feeling these new shows AMC is about to premiere are gonna be bad and get cancelled.

I look at more Badlands promos and feel while the concept and premise is cool they may not have cast it with the best actors and it's not just cuz I don't recognize any of them.

Got a similar feeling for the cast of Preacher.

Hopefully I'm pleasantly shocked.

AMC need to step their game up the way FX is thriving and HBO has remained consistent. At this point even Starz and Cinemax are having more standout shows.

I recognized the evil white guy from Into the Badlands. He was that Hyped up villain from The Equalizer that did nothing.

I know most of the cast from Preacher. You got young Papa Stark (Marvel) playing Jesse Cluster aka the Preacher. Ruth Negga from Misfits and AoS playing Tulip and Joe Gilgun from Misfits playing the vampire Cassidy

I'm pretty much on board with Preacher but you're right. AMC needs to come correct with these shows

Last edited:
Went to a special screening of Paranorman on Halloween at a local theatre where I live. Basically one of the lead animators talked about the company Laika (which also made coroline) and the process of stop motion animation and their take on it. Then they screened Paranorman afterwards. I knew about how they made the dolls, but I never knew how meticulous it was to actually film.

For every movement, they have to 3D print a face, take a picture, then replace that face with the motion they want to capture and so on. So 5 seconds of dialogue could take up to 100's maybe even thousands of different faces that have been printed out to match a particular emotion or action. Absolutely insane. Anyways the Animator lady talked about their upcoming film that sounds super exciting.

Kubo and the Two Strings

The new movie, from an original screenplay by Marc Haimes and Chris Butler (ParaNorman) is a sweeping, swashbuckling adventure set in a mythical ancient Japan. It is being brought to life at LAIKA's Oregon studios via the company's innovative 3D stop-motion and CG hybrid technique. In addition to directing, Mr. Knight is producing Kubo and the Two Strings with Arianne Sutner (ParaNorman). The all-star voice cast includes Academy Award winners Matthew McConaughey and Charlize Theron; Academy Award nominees Rooney Mara, Ralph Fiennes, and Brenda Vaccaro; and Art Parkinson, who plays Rickon Stark on Game of Thrones and who is providing the voice for the title character of Kubo.

In the epic fantasy, scruffy, kindhearted Kubo ekes out a humble living while devotedly caring for his mother in their sleepy shoreside village. It is a quiet existence – until a spirit from the past catches up with him to enforce an age-old vendetta. Suddenly on the run from gods and monsters, Kubo's chance for survival rests on finding the magical suit of armor once worn by his fallen father, the greatest samurai the world has ever known. Summoning courage, Kubo embarks on a thrilling odyssey as he faces his family's history, navigates the elements, and bravely fights for the earth and the stars.

Some familiar voices Matthew McConaughey, Charlize Theron, Rooney Mara, Ralph Fiennes, Brenda Vaccaro have all been cast. The kid who plays Rickon Stark from GoT will be the voice of Kubo. Not sure how exciting that is but yeah I'm really looking forward to another Laika production film. Coraline and Paranorman are GOAT stop motion movies

^^^ Big fan of the Laika films -- though I have yet to see Box Trolls. But Coraline and Paranorman are both great. Coraline is a staple in my house this time of year.

Did Tarantino really get lazy with hateful 8? It literally looks like a django remake lol
Well all of Tarantino's movies take place in the same universe (except for that bad one with Kurt Russell I think) so it's no surprise really that a movie in the same time period looks very similar to another one.

In the vaguest way, Pulp Fiction looks like Reservoir Dogs.

I bet if QT did another movie during WW2 it'd look like Basterds and there's no doubt in my mind if he ever does another action samurai style flick it's gonna heavily give off Kill Bill vibes.

DO NOT waste your time and money on the new Steve Jobs movie. Smh. I've never seen an entire movie that consisted of basically a series of one on one conversations. It so bad that I was slightly uncomfortable and embarrassed and even asked the girl I was with if she wanted to leave.

After hearing that the makers of social network (which I LOVED) and slumdog millionaire (also a great movie) were involved, coupled with the preview, I thought they got it right this time. Wrong.

The one that was made a few years ago was worse. Mad boring, I actually cut that one short.

DO NOT waste your time and money on the new Steve Jobs movie. Smh. I've never seen an entire movie that consisted of basically a series of one on one conversations. It so bad that I was slightly uncomfortable and embarrassed and even asked the girl I was with if she wanted to leave.

After hearing that the makers of social network (which I LOVED) and slumdog millionaire (also a great movie) were involved, coupled with the preview, I thought they got it right this time. Wrong.

The one that was made a few years ago was worse. Mad boring, I actually cut that one short.
uhh no the new Steve jobs movie is really good but did you know beforehand that the movie is basically all convo cause that's what everyone's been telling us it was and one on one convo & daughter drama is really all they pushed about the movies in the trailers.....

CBS Developing New STAR TREK TV Series

:smokin :pimp:

Finally. I just was hoping the next Star Trek tv show would be on a cable network with no commercials. So something like Showtime. Really push the boundaries while getting in to the whole lore of the series. I envisioned it being set in the 25th century and everything.

That last series with Scott Bakula wasn't that good. I'm left with reruns of the TNG.

I'd be so hyped if they get it right with some iconic characters the way they gave us Spock, Picard, Data, Scotty, Sulu, Geordi LaForge, Kirk, etc. I just want a cast I can love watching again.

Need to see the Borg back, Romulans, Klignons, Vulcans, need to see the homey Q in a guest return

15 Films to See In November

15. The Peanuts Movie  (Steve Martino; Nov. 6th)

peanuts_2-620x335.jpg

Synopsis: Snoopy embarks upon his greatest mission as he and his team take to the skies to pursue their arch-nemesis, while his best pal Charlie Brown begins his own epic quest back home.

Trailer

Why You Should See It:  Following in the footsteps of  Paddington, Inside Out, and Shaun the Sheep, it looks like this year might bring another great family film that can lose the qualification and simply be considered one of 2015’s best. With positive buzz coming out of early screenings held this past weekend, this one seems to contain the laid-back charm found in  Charles M. Schulz‘s original work, with producing help from Paul Feig.

14. Ingrid Bergman: In Her Own Words  (Stig Björkman; Nov. 13th)

ingrid_bergman-e1446414588773-620x310.png

Synopsis: A captivating look behind the scenes of the remarkable life of a young Swedish girl who became one of the most celebrated actresses of American and World cinema.

Trailer

Why You Should See It:  Being honored on the official poster  for this year’s Cannes Film Festival wasn’t the only time  Ingrid Bergman  was in their spotlight, for the late, legendary actress was also the subject of a new documentary hailing from her home country of Sweden.  Coming from writer and critic Stig Björkman, it has been in the works since earlier this decade, when he met with Bergman’s daughter,  Isabella Rossellini. Culled together from various items from her estate — with a particularly strong use of personal videos — we’re looking forward to what’s hopefully the definitive documentary on the actress.

13.  Legend  (Brian Helgeland; Nov. 20th)

legend_header-620x322.png

Synopsis: The film tells the story of the identical twin gangsters Reggie and Ronnie Kray, two of the most notorious criminals in British history, and their organised crime empire in the East End of London during the 1960s.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: In a year that delivered the extraordinary action spectacle that was Mad Max: Fury RoadTom Hardy  certainly doesn’t need to prove himself further, but we’ve still got two more features coming. Before The Revenant, there’s this crime biopic, about which we said in our review“Brian Helgeland’s Legend  is by no means high art, but it proves the point that a film doesn’t have to be that in order for us to immerse ourselves in its criminals. And immersed by  Tom Hardy  we are. Like watching James Dean, for two-plus hours we’re obsessed with his every movement, tick, and mumble — his physicality is spellbinding.”

12. Creed  (Ryan Coogler; Nov. 25th)

creed-e1446414625184-620x321.jpg

Synopsis: The former World Heavyweight Champion Rocky Balboa serves as a trainer and mentor to Adonis Johnson, the son of his late friend and former rival Apollo Creed.

Trailer

Why You Should See It:  With the failure of  Fantastic Four  certainly not in the hands of its actors,Michael B. Jordan  will get another chance at blockbuster stardom by resurrecting a franchise that people  actually  care about. Creed  puts a new spin on the Rocky  franchise, with Sylvester Stallonereturning and some fresh eyes behind the camera, thanks to Fruitvale Station  director Ryan Coogler. Hopefully, it proves to be a strong studio break-out for Coogler; we’ll find out this Thanksgiving.

11. By The Sea  (Angelina Jolie Pitt; Nov. 13th)

by_the_sea_1-620x348.jpg

Synopsis: Set in France during the mid-1970s, Vanessa, a former dancer, and her husband Roland, an American writer, travel the country together. They seem to be growing apart, but when they linger in one quiet, seaside town they begin to draw close to some of its more vibrant inhabitants, such as a local bar/café-keeper and a hotel owner.

Trailer

Why You Should See It:  In taking what’s perhaps a needed reset after her bigger-budget World War II drama UnbrokenAngelina Jolie Pitt‘s third feature is shaping up to be her most promising outing. In a best case scenario, By the Sea  will be a L’Avventura-esque meditation on commitment and romance. At its worst… well, it can’t be so  bad to watch the Pitts hang out in a beautiful location.

10.  Trumbo  (Jay Roach; Nov. 6th)

trumbo_2-620x312.jpg

Synopsis: In 1947, Dalton Trumbo was Hollywood’s top screenwriter until he and other artists were jailed and blacklisted for their political beliefs.

Trailer

Why You Should See It:  Talking about the actor’s first major leading role following Breaking Bad, we said in our review, “Bryan Cranston  is irresistible as Dalton Trumbo, the blacklisted screenwriter of Oscar-winning classics Roman Holiday and  Spartacus.” We added it’s a “sparkling period drama surrounding the Hollywood Ten. His larger-than-life performance promises surface sheen rather than cruel dissection of Tinseltown’s failure to stand up for those disaffected by the Red Scare. But Jay Roach’s film has the daring to flatten the reputation of Hollywood’s previously lionized – including John Wayne and Louis B. Mayer – marking an intriguing look at post-Golden Age Hollywood, helped by a very funny script from John McNamara.”

9. The Good Dinosaur  (Peter Sohn; Nov. 25th)

the_good_dinosaur-620x323.png

Synopsis: An epic journey into the world of dinosaurs where an Apatosaurus named Arlo makes an unlikely human friend.

Trailer

Why You Should See It:  Considering how accomplished their other  2015 feature,  Inside Out, was, it would be unfair to expect the same level of quality from The Good Dinosaur. Then again, Pixar has been known to deliver the unexpected, so even if the trailers for this jurassic adventure don’t necessarily grab attention, hopefully we have another knock out of the park.

8.  Mustang  (Deniz Gamze Ergüven; Nov. 20th)

mustang-620x335.jpg

Synopsis: Early summer. In a village in northern Turkey, Lale and her four sisters are walking home from school, playing innocently with some boys. The immorality of their play sets off a scandal that has unexpected consequences.

Trailer

Why You Should See It:  It surprised many that France’s Oscar bid went to Mustang  instead ofJacques Audiard’s Palme d’Or-winning Dheepan. As we said in our review, “The main cast of sisters is led by Günes Sensoy, who plays the youngest, Lale, but also most resilient of the girls and, arguably, the main character of the story. We see most of the film from her point-of-view, and thus it’s her attitude and actions we’re most invested in. As a tenacious, tiny child, she proves to be a fearsome actor who manages to give the film’s most endearing performance.”

7. Spectre  (Sam Mendes; Nov. 6th)

spectre_header-620x326.jpg

Synopsis: A cryptic message from Bond’s past sends him on a trail to uncover a sinister organization. While M battles political forces to keep the secret service alive, Bond peels back the layers of deceit to reveal the terrible truth behind SPECTRE.

Trailer

Why You Should See It: After already tearing it up at the international box-office, the latest James Bond entry lands in the United States this week. While Skyfall  had unmistakablly gorgeous photography, a few entertaining setpieces, and a stand-out villain performances courtesy of  Javier Bardem, I couldn’t get past the bloated, overly serious, and ultimately lifeless plot. With  Spectrereportedly harkening back to the more freewheeling adventures of the timeless character, here’s hoping a better outing is in store.

6. Brooklyn  (John Crowley; Nov. 4th)

Screen-Shot-2014-12-08-at-4.16.58-PM-e1421675207673-620x301.png

Synopsis: In 1950s Ireland and New York, young Eilis Lacey has to choose between two men and two countries.

Trailer

Why You Should See It:  It doesn’t have the restrained touch of James Gray, but as far as awards-geared dramas go, Brooklyn  packs a genuine amount of emotion. We said in our review, “Presented with the tale of an Irish immigrant, one would perhaps expect a dreary and brutal film about the hardships of moving to America. In a way, John Crowley‘s  Brooklyn is that movie, but, really, it’s so much more. While the Nick Hornby-scripted adaptation isn’t without its tough drama, Crowley’s picture is also full of kindness and laughs.”

5. Entertainment  (Rick Alverson; Nov. 11th)

Screen-Shot-2014-12-03-at-4.03.47-PM-e1421675135994-620x292.png

Synopsis: En route to meet his estranged daughter and attempting to revive his dwindling career, a broken, aging comedian plays a string of dead-end shows in the Mojave desert.

Trailer

Why You Should See It:  Can you greatly admire a film you may never want to watch again? Rick Alverson‘s two most recent features certainly test that theory. In our review, we said the writer-director “makes some scary comedies. His previous endeavor, The Comedy, showed us the horrors of aging trust fund babies, making for an excellent, funny and headache-inducing result. The challenging experience that is Alverson’s latest film,  Entertainment, makes The Comedy feel like a walk in the park. The comedy, which he co-wrote with star Gregg Turkington  and co-star Tim Heidecker, follows a bottom-of-the-barrel comedian (Turkington) traveling from gig to gig across the California desert, performing genuinely funny and crude jokes that aren’t for everyone. But then Alverson’s not telling stories for everyone, making his films stand out all the more.”

4. James White  (Josh Mond; Nov. 13th)

james_white-620x260.png

Synopsis: A coming-of-age story about a young New Yorker struggling to take control of his reckless, self-destructive behavior in the face of momentous family challenges.

Trailer

Why You Should See It:  I said in my review  from Sundance, “In the five months found within  James White, our title character is at the most difficult chapter of his life thus far. Grieving the loss of his father and attempting to assist his ailing mother, the drama authentically depicts the brutality of the process. After producing the gripping Sundance dramas Martha Marcy May Marleneand Simon KillerJosh Mond  diverts in some ways with his directorial debut. Providing yet another intimate character study of a fractured individual, James White  also has a perhaps unexpected enveloping warmth. Commanding every scene of the film — and in most sequences, nearly all of the frame in extreme close-up — is Christopher Abbott, who worked with Mond on Marthy Marcy, but is best-known from his stint on  Girls  and was briefly seen recently in A Most Violent Year

3. Spotlight  (Thomas McCarthy; Nov. 6th)

spotlight_2-e1440270852832-620x331.png

Synopsis: The true story of how the Boston Globe uncovered the massive scandal of child molestation and cover-up within the local Catholic Archdiocese, shaking the entire Catholic Church to its core.

Trailer

Why You Should See It:  As fellow editor Dan Mecca  pointed out, it’s hard to recall another time when a director delivered one of the worst and  best films in a given year, but Thomas McCarthyhas certainly done so. Following up the strange misfire that was The CobblerSpotlight  is an invigorating look at the journalistic process. Our review  was a touch more lukewarm, saying, “It’s a rather broad account of the events covered in the exposé and yet, in a way, is not so much about the events covered but the covering of  the events. It’s about the nuts and bolts of pre-internet age investigative reporting, and about how actors who aren’t from Boston love to talk like they’re from Boston. Spotlight  is no All the President’s Men, but what is?”

2. In Jackson Heights  (Frederick Wiseman; Nov. 4th)

in_jackson_heights-620x325.jpeg

Synopsis: Jackson Heights, Queens is one of the most culturally diverse communities in the US where 167 languages are spoken. In Jackson Heights explores the conflict between maintaining ties to old traditions and adapting to American values.

Trailer

Why You Should See It:  Still making documentaries as relevant and accomplished as Titicut Follies  and High School,  Frederick Wiseman, in his latest, heads to Queens. We said in our review, “How amazing it is that a human being one century from now can fire up their wind-powered neuro-image-emitter, put on Frederick Wiseman’s In Jackson Heights, and really get a grasp of what it felt like for these people to live? The great documentarian’s latest film — screening out-of-competition this week at the Venice Film Festival — is neither a snapshot nor a love letter of some static environment, but a dense, kaleidoscopic study of a dynamic, evolving place. It’s like a time capsule of this community at a very interesting moment in their history.”

1. Carol  (Todd Haynes; Nov. 20th)

carol_10-e1446415793175-620x351.jpg

Synopsis: Set in 1950s New York, a department-store clerk who dreams of a better life falls for an older, married woman.

Trailer

Why You Should See It:  With only a few films left to screen this year, it would take quite a feat to unseat Todd Haynes‘ Carol  as the best of 2015. We said in our review, “To be an actress and land a leading role in a Todd Haynes film must be a dream come true. With SafeFar From Heaven, and his five-part miniseries Mildred Pierce, Haynes has proven himself to be one of the very few male directors not only interested in but capable of endowing women protagonists with genuine and far-reaching complexity. In doing so, the performances he’s drawn from his actresses – Julianne Moore in the first two titles and Kate Winslet in the lattermost – have been amongst the very finest of their careers. These virtues are again masterfully exhibited in Carol, his sublime adaptation of  Patricia Highsmith’s 1952 novel The Price of Salt.”

Steve Jobs was incredible, 95% aaron sorkin dialogue (like literally the entire movie is just conversations) so i understand why it's not for everyone but i loved it. Fassbender came to play, probably my favourite performace of the year. Very interesting insight into Steve's personal life, dude thought himself as a god and really was one of the revolutionary thinkers of our generation (and i dont even like apple products). 

7.1/8

I'm about half way through Dare Devil and Narcos. Both are really good. The fight scenes in Dare Devil are serious. Narcos is hard, other than dude looking nothing like Pablo lol.

Im 30 and in all my years of watching movies and series I have never been more emotionally driven by a character then King Joffrey.

This lil **** be having me legit mad.

If I ever catch Jack Gleeson in real life he's getting these hands 
mad.gif

May he rest in **** 
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

[/quote]
Im 30 and in all my years of watching movies and series I have never been more emotionally driven by a character then King Joffrey.

This lil **** be having me legit mad.

If I ever catch Jack Gleeson in real life he's getting these hands >:

:lol: I think a lot of people feel that way. That's probably way Jack said he was taking a break from acting after Joff died in the show. Dude has to keep a low profile. Testament to his acting ability though.

Last edited:
The writing and his acting were just too convincing :lol:

Agreed. Top notch. At first I used to think it was just that his face was so punchable and that's why I hated him so much. But early on in the show, he played a different character (A Stark cousin I believe) and I didn't want to punch him in the face so bad back then. So yeah, It's more than just his face lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom