Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Watched Hateful 8 the other day..Give it a 4/8..It was way too long and had too many unnecessary scenes..It's a shame cause the acting in it was very good from everyone..

I remember at one time somebody did link the string of posts where Rck came up witht he /8 rating scale but that's like hundreds of pgs ago. I'd say maybe try looking at his posts in this thread.

From what I recall, somebody said something like I like to rate movies out of 5 or qo and Rck said he prefers out of 8 which was a joke but caught on when he started doing it.

Anyway, I squeezed in The Incident last night, came out in '95. It was great. Based on real events in Cali. A guy, Ray Buckey, and his whole fam who are teachers and own like a pre-school get charged and arrested for child molestation among many other heinous crimes against children all off the basis of a crazy mother and a son (who was molested) and this bush league child "therapist" who literally puts words in the mouths of hundreds of children. The family loses their jobs, home, etc. due to public outrage and a reckless, corrupt legal system led by a delusional DA. They hold the guy and his moms on no bail. Mom for 18 months, the son for years. In the end he wasted 5 years of his life fighting this. No guilty on the first trial and a hung jury on the re-trial.

James Woods played the defense attorney and he was at the top of his game. It's like he was born to play the sleazy defense attorney looking for money and fame that gets a real case and shows he's a good guy and better at his job. Lot of tough scenes and it'll pull at ya and get you frustrated.

7/8

Watched Hateful 8 the other day..Give it a 4/8..It was way too long and had too many unnecessary scenes..It's a shame cause the acting in it was very good from everyone..
1/8 review.

The movie was character focused. Needed just about every scene so it should've been just about that long.

Big Short was great.
A+ Acting, script and cinematography. Even the non big names really delivered in their roles. Hope it gets recognized with some sort of award or nominations.
My family got hit hard financially during that period and literally just bounced back in 2015 so it had me in the feels at points.
Props to McKay for nailing it in his first non comedic film.

Last edited:
Should I be giving movies like In the Heart of the Sea, The Danish Girl, Joy, Bridge of Spies, and Carol a watch? Haven't heard many ppl in here or elsewhere praise those movies.

Most have some of my fav actors in it and I'm on the fence if I should get to them some time next week.

Hateful 8 about to start for me. See how it comes to the /8 scale compared to his other films

Literally want to rewatch The Big Short right away. It was that good. My wife didn't watch it so I'm begging her to give it a whirl. She has zero interest in it, but I bet it hooks her.

Last edited:
On the topic of finance-related films and off-topic with TV, has anyone checked out the new Showtime show, Billions?

It has Giamatti and Homeland dude as the leads.

So I heard The Big Short is about the 2008 housing crisis, and I already wasted my time with The Company Men - which wasn't bad, but it's not what I want in a viewing experience. So as long as the tone is good in The Big Short and it's not just like living with three people whose lives are falling apart like T.C.M., then I'd be in.

1/8 review.

The movie was character focused. Needed just about every scene so it should've been just about that long.

1/8 review of my review..It's my opinion that it was too long and was slow in a lot of scenes..Watched it with 2 other people and they felt pretty much the same as I did..

So I heard The Big Short is about the 2008 housing crisis, and I already wasted my time with The Company Men - which wasn't bad, but it's not what I want in a viewing experience. So as long as the tone is good in The Big Short and it's not just like living with three people whose lives are falling apart like T.C.M., then I'd be in.

This is similar to Wolf of Wall Street.

Should I be giving movies like In the Heart of the Sea, The Danish Girl, Joy, Bridge of Spies, and Carol a watch? Haven't heard many ppl in here or elsewhere praise those movies.

Most have some of my fav actors in it and I'm on the fence if I should get to them some time next week.
Saw Carol and it might be worth the was watch just off of Cate Blanchett and her performance .

Safe to say that even with all of the continuous award nominations and critical recognition, Cate Blanchett still might go down as THEE most under-appreciated actress of all time, publicly?

I swear no one other than movie buffs, or us movie nerds on the internet even know who she is when you drop her name. She's too incredible to not be receiving more shine publicly.

Last edited:
i enjoyed bridge of spies. it was pretty formulaic but done really well. i especially liked the soviet spy dude. overall, it's a decent time killer. solid 6.4/8

showed a list of all the screener movies to a co-worker and asked what he wanted. out of all the damn movies he asked me for the danish girl. i hit em with the

Trumbo was really really good.

Cranston was so great as Dalton Trumbo.

Helen Mirren was really good in this.

Really loved how they did this story. Funny and interesting while keeping the drama going.

One slight complaint is I don't know if that's how the guy was but the person Louie C.K. was playing, Arlen Hird, was like he was just being himself :lol: Down to how he talked. Literally felt like Louie time travelled to the 40s and just became a writer again. His arguments with Trumbo made it worth it though :lol:

The 2nd half of this movie is where the story and Cranston really start shining even more.

7.5/8

“The radical may fight with the purity of Jesus. But the rich guy wins with the cunning of Satan.”—Dalton Trumbo (Bryan Cranston) :smokin

Saw Carol and it might be worth the was watch just off of Cate Blanchett and her performance.
Good to know.

Safe to say that even with all of the continuous award nominations and critical recognition, Cate Blanchett still might go down as THEE most under-appreciated actress of all time, publicly?

I swear no one other than movie buffs, or us movie nerds on the internet even know who she is when you drop her name. She's too incredible to not be receiving more shine publicly.
I agree to an extent. She's a consistently excellent actress but in a way she has this sort of laid back sullen expressionless style to her that I think is what makes ppl under appreciate her.

She needs to be in something where she's completely against type and it's great to really get that attention.

A lot of her movies have gone under the radar so her great performances do not get as much attention.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification on the /8 ranking system, fellas.

I thought it involved a scientific formula or some **** due to some of the numerical ratings being decimal values 
laugh.gif

Should've known it was just a running NT joke 
laugh.gif

--The Big Short was a great movie. Carrell should get an Oscar nod.

My Top 5 of 2015
1- Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens
2- Ant-Man
3. Ex Machina
4. Mad Max: Fury Road
5. It Follows

In the Heart of the Sea is the only one of those movies I would recommend not watching.

On the topic of finance-related films and off-topic with TV, has anyone checked out the new Showtime show, Billions?

It has Giamatti and Homeland dude as the leads.

It hasn't come out yet but I'll watch when it's out.

Episode one is on Showtime onDemand & Online starting today.

Haven't had a chance to watch it yet but I will before the long weekend is over.

Not anti, just similar tone, learning, breakdowns, talking about to the camera, etc. Def worth a watch, multiple watches. It was outstanding.

1/8 review.

1/8 review of my review..It's my opinion that it was too long and was slow in a lot of scenes..Watched it with 2 other people and they felt pretty much the same as I did..
0.000000098438/8 on you and your friends tastes.

All the critics agree, you and your friends tastes are rated 1/8. Two thumbs way down.

But seriously a 1/8 means they didn't do anything well with the movie and you did not like a single thing. Step your review game up if you're gonna use the /8 system bro. It's chess not checkers

Back
Top Bottom