Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Honestly cannot remember the last time I saw Joe Pesci in anything. Has he even made a movie in the 2000s?

De Niro's definitely taking the Brando (when he got up there in years) approach to movies :lol:

The Irishman is going to be a got damn masterpiece, bruhs.

I'm calling it RIGHT NOW.

De Niro/Pesci/Marty don't miss & on top of that they're throwing in Pacino...

Fuggedaboutit :pimp:

agreed i dont care if he just does jimmy the gent again [emoji]128514[/emoji][emoji]128514[/emoji]

Honestly cannot remember the last time I saw Joe Pesci in anything. Has he even made a movie in the 2000s?
He made a movie with Helen Mirren about being a pimp that owns one of those Love Ranches out in Nevada.

It was a good flick. That had to come out in the last 4 years I think.

I also saw him in one other movie but can't remember much. I thought he semi-retired.

I got a copy of Love Ranch a while back but never watched it. Honestly only wanted to see what Helen's bitties were looking like.

Just finished watching Beast of No Nation .....

For me, it was nothing special.

The only question that I have is, why did the Supreme Commander wanted change the leadership?

He went from making him a general, to a demotion ....

The only question that I have is, why did the Supreme Commander wanted change the leadership?

If I recall correctly, Stringer's character wanted to keep on marching on the opposition while the SC was already negotiating a ceasefire.

What really stood out to me about that movie was the acting ability of the kid. His descent from an innocent child to a detached "monster " felt & looked so real.

The spark in his eyes from the beginning of the movie was completely gone by the end of it.

Last edited:

Cuz he was a war criminal. He wasn't planning on demoting him, he was going to kill him and give 2IC/TwoEyeSee command to do less threatening things that wouldn't cause attention. He was never going to make him general. Just a lie so he could do his dirty work.

Civil war and rebellion don't last forever in most countries. It was dying down and the two sides were going to come to some treaty or w/e. Seems like it was never gonna be a straight up overthrow.

Either way the Supreme Commander couldn't get that done with war criminals on his side when he has to address the public and what not. He may have also saw the Commandant as too ambitious (or hell maybe he knew he was a child molester).

There's more talk of this in the thread for the movie.

Last edited:
Yeah, it was cool but nothing that I care to watch again. I agree that the kids acting was superb. Just seen similar movies.

We need to make a top 10 "Very Famous But Haven't been relevant in 10+ Years" list :rofl: :rofl:

I'm talking like not just making bad movies, but not even getting roles anymore. I mean Mel Gibson hasn't been in anything important in a while but he's been the lead in a bunch of movies in the last 10 years as well as directed a few.

Off the top of my head, 5 I can think of (in no order) are

Sean Connery
Joe Pesci
Richard Dreyfuss (although he's the lead in a new TV show, so this might disqualify him if it's good)
Gene Hackman? (seriously I have no clue when the last movie he was in. Royal Tenenbaums?)
Nicholson

All oscar winners. I guess basically it would be a list of really old white guys :rofl:

Sean Connery, Jack Nicholson and I think Gene Hackman have all retired.

I know for sure Sean has. Last interview I read with him was him talking about turning down roles cuz he's done. He seemed pretty mean about it too. Been retired for like a decade now.

Jack probably just hasn't had anything great come across him and decided to stop.

I have no idea where Gene is :smh:

Keep in mind these dudes are like in their 70s and older now. Not directing like they're Clint Eastwood or can't stay retired like Michael Caine.

Last thing I saw Mel Gibson in was a movie he directed and starred in I think. It was okay. I feel like it premiered on TNT and in theaters. I enjoyed it. Crime/revenge flick. Think he was a dirty cop or private eye. He has been in a lot of stuff not in theaters though. It was actually a shock to see him at the GGs.

Last edited:
Rich people complaining about not receiving an award (nomination) from other rich people *rolls eyes*

Outside of Idris (Netflix movie so you can see the reasoning) & Sam (I haven't seen it yet but his performance has been praised) who else got snubbed?

I mean I really, really enjoyed MBJ in Creed (even the dirt bike scene :lol:) but I don't think it was Oscar-worthy. Am I missing anyone?

Exactly, nobody else.

It's pretty sad since ppl aren't can't name one actress of color that got snubbed cuz there were no lead or supporting roles for them.

I'm just seeing a lot of ppl prop up Will, MBJ, and Straight Outta Comption. I've seen few ppl mention Idris and other than TH8 fans nobody mention Sam's great performance.

It just seems like ppl were just waiting for the nominations to be named just to see if any black ppl were on the list.

It's funny when you think farther back cuz OscarsSoWhite start last year when no black actors or directors were nominated but there wasn't as much outrage cuz nobody could name many that got snubbed.

Last edited:
I've seen people mentioned straight outta compton should've gotten nominations. Never watched it so did it deserve some oscar noms or nah?

I've seen people mentioned straight outta compton should've gotten nominations. Never watched it so did it deserve some oscar noms or nah?
Not for me. The dude that played Dre is making the most of his moment, though. He's supposed to be the star of the 24 reboot.

Forgot about Straight Outta Compton.

:stoneface: to the people seriously arguing that should of been nominated. It was a good nostalgic watch but by no means Oscar-worthy.

:stoneface: to the people propping up Will, too. I
haven't seen it nor do I intend to but just by that "tell da troof" line I knew his performance was going to be buns :lol:

Last edited:
TBH it was many levels of corny. That said, the movie overall was unexpectedly good. I think most people are better off digging up the original GQ article the movie is based on, then add up all the NFL suicides since then.

Last edited:
Dude in Selma shoulda been nominated last year. David Oloymhdibeid or whatever
I actually did go and look back. That was 2 years ago though. I remember Selma only winning for original song and Chris Pine shedding a tear during the performance. Other than that, Lupita got it for supporting actress.

The competition was strong in that year. Looking back only person I could switch out for Oyelowo's performance was Bale's performance in American Hustle.

Thing is I'm seeing in a lot of threads now that black ppl only get nominations for playing slaves and playing MLK in period pieces. They want to stress that it's a negative regardless of the strength of the performance and then the year a dude plays MLK and he doesn't even get the nom.

Last year as in looking at the best movies and performances of 2014 didn't have much.

I mean, it does seem that biopics and movies where black people play servants get the most accolades and oscar attention. I remember oprah attached herself to the movie the butler and thinking she probably thinks it'll get oscar buzz. When fruitvale station came out people loved it but I don't remember it getting any love during awards season.

I actually did go and look back. That was 2 years ago though. I remember Selma only winning for original song and Chris Pine shedding a tear during the performance. Other than that, Lupita got it for supporting actress.

The competition was strong in that year. Looking back only person I could switch out for Oyelowo's performance was Bale's performance in American Hustle.

Thing is I'm seeing in a lot of threads now that black ppl only get nominations for playing slaves and playing MLK in period pieces. They want to stress that it's a negative regardless of the strength of the performance and then the year a dude plays MLK and he doesn't even get the nom.

Last year as in looking at the best movies and performances of 2014 didn't have much.

I think you're mistaken. Selma was eligible for last year's Oscar, the 87th academy award. I thought Oyelowo shoulda been nominated ahead of Bradley Cooper

Back
Top Bottom