Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

I'm pretty sure you just called CP a cheer-tator. 
nerd.gif

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GetBack
Originally Posted by DarthSka

What if you had never read the book and you just watching the movie?
 Everything else would stand.
It literally can't.

If you had never read the book, you would still say the movie was a horrible facsimile of the book? You would still say that major portions of the book were left out... if you never read the book? 
laugh.gif

I mean, I think the same about Maze Runner. I think there were important relationships in Maze Runner that didn't even make it to the movie, and I think that's one of the reasons the movies have been so... meh.
I've never read Maze Runner. Not even sure there is a book. There is, right? 
laugh.gif
 And that's my point.

It literally can't.

If you had never read the book, you would still say the movie was a horrible facsimile of the book? You would still say that major portions of the book were left out... if you never read the book? 
laugh.gif
Hence "everything else." - everything except for the part of my post having to do with the book.

I mentioned more if you'd pay attention to the post before replying.

Originally Posted by GetBack
Originally Posted by DarthSka

laugh.gif
Hence "everything else." - everything except for the part of my post having to do with the book.

I mentioned more if you'd pay attention to the post before replying.
"The characters were almost cartoonish. A lot of overacting and Boston stereotypes. Pretty sloppy and rushed."

Everything else you said directly had to do with the book

So you think the movie was cartoonish with a lot of overacting and Boston stereotypes? And when you say 'sloppy and rushed', you mean independently, or compared to the book?

"The characters were almost cartoonish. A lot of overacting and Boston stereotypes. Pretty sloppy and rushed."

Everything else you said directly had to do with the book

So you think the movie was cartoonish with a lot of overacting and Boston stereotypes? And when you say 'sloppy and rushed', you mean independently, or compared to the book?
I thought a lot of the characters were cartoonish and overacted. It gave off the dark super hero/comic book vibe instead of "dark and gritty" mafia movie like they intended it to be. More outlandish than anything. Not much background was provided either. Like someone else said, it was like a highlight reel of Bulger's misgivings. But they didn't do a good job connecting the pieces. Like I said, it felt rushed and the pacing was off. It didn't work.

Can't help but to feel like you would of liked the pacing of the movie a lot better if you weren't comparing it to the book.

*shrug*

Can't help but to feel like you would of liked the pacing of the movie a lot better if you weren't comparing it to the book.

*shrug*
Maybe. I'm also from Boston, so bias may play into it.

To say it was better than the Revenant is shocking to me though.

I liken Black Mass to Southpaw: a huge underachievement.

Since I think this matters to you, no one's chronicling your opinion as fact or definitive of anything fwiw.

Johnny Depp's appearance was comic booky, some things were, which doesn't reflect on anything in the plot, and as someone who didn't read the book I can tell you that "the highlight reel of Bulger's misgivings" is a simplification when people who only saw the movie can tell you that no, no it wasn't a highlight reel at all "a bad man getting away with doing bad things
No. Your POV inherently doesn't matter to what's going on in the movie to be honest, 'because' you so clearly cannot remove yourself from the book's broader view to see that the movie did accomplish the overall point.

With context in mind that I and several others could easily glean in the runtime of that movie (despite how detailed the book was, I know keep reminding us that movies are based on books sometime, hold on let me get a pen) Bulger was defending something from birth, from first-ever associations, things he knew to be THE standard operating procedure, what he thought was justified from his specific view, that specific context. A standard operating procedure of known and observed actions, based on how the world made sense to him from his personal, POV. Something someone can't prevent, where they were born and the ideals, their upbringing, POV/context, the things that can mix up what otherwise would've been a good person, let's say, if he had grown up elsewhere and had a different upbringing.

Because the book's more detailed we get it, you have the full picture. Kid can read. Can he L ook at a movie in a vacuum though? or do you want to continue to speak on it and color a good movie the wrong shade of bias so people miss out? They won't have the same experience as you, and you won't ha e the same experience as them. you'll have to go sit this one out on the sidelines.

Last edited:
Since I think this matters to you, no one's chronicling your opinion as fact or definitive of anything fwiw.

Johnny Depp's appearance was comic booky, some things were, which doesn't reflect on anything in the plot, and as someone who didn't read the book I can tell you that "the highlight reel of Bulger's misgivings" is a simplification when people who only saw the movie can tell you that no, no it wasn't a highlight reel at all "a bad man getting away with doing bad things
No. Your POV inherently doesn't matter to what's going on in the movie to be honest, 'because' you so clearly cannot remove yourself from the book's broader view to see that the movie did accomplish the overall point.

With context in mind that I and several others could easily glean in the runtime of that movie (despite how detailed the book was, I know keep reminding us that movies are based on books sometime, hold on let me get a pen) Bulger was defending something from birth, from first-ever associations, things he knew to be THE standard operating procedure, what he thought was justified from his specific view, that specific context. A standard operating procedure of known and observed actions, based on how the world made sense to him from his personal, POV. Something someone can't prevent, where they were born and the ideals, their upbringing, POV/context, the things that can mix up what otherwise would've been a good person, let's say, if he had grown up elsewhere and had a different upbringing.

Because the book's more detailed we get it, you have the full picture. Kid can read. Can he L ook at a movie in a vacuum though? or do you want to continue to speak on it and color a good movie the wrong shade of bias so people miss out? They won't have the same experience as you, and you won't ha e the same experience as them. you'll have to go sit this one out on the sidelines.
What a ridiculous notion that someone who read the book can't offer commentary on the film.
laugh.gif

I'm not the only one who was disappointed guy, as evidenced by this very thread.

I've seen plenty of movies that go against book adaptations and still work well: Jurassic Park, The Mist, The Shining

I've read dozens of other books that became movies and loved: Mystic River, Gone Baby Gone, Misery, Irish Thunder

Black Mass was just painfully average in my eyes. It removing important details from the book wasn't my only beef like I said before.

Out of the Furnace was much better for Cooper.

How you going to have taken without an old, over the hill guy killing hordes of European gangster scumbags?

Back
Top Bottom