Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

I feel like Gosling is in so many movies. :lol:
My friend asked me to see Django Unchained at midnight on Christmas Eve. :smh: :lol:

I'm def. going on Xmas Eve :lol:

Been waiting too long not to see it opening night.. plus a lot of my friends want to go. :pimp:

Man. Y'all got a movie that just gets to you each time you watch it? All the feels. All at once. :frown:

For me it's Philadelphia. The entire second half of that movie got me sobbing like I'm a 12 year old girl watching Twilight and Bella just cheated on Edward. :smh:

I forget what a great damn movie that is. |I

Apatow moved on to The Larry Sanders Show, working with his idol Garry Shandling. ... During his Shandling stint he re-teamed with Stiller on Heavy Weights and wrote the (somewhat accurately) maligned Celtic Pride. He also did some punch-up work on Happy Gilmore, which, come on, props due. But what he's best known for from the mid-'90s is a losing battle to get a writer's credit on The Cable Guy.

Did not know all of that--

Not movies, moments..and not especially high brow. :lol:
--Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. 1: when O Children starts playing...get at me :lol:
--Inception: when she jumps and when she finds out what he did to her
--V for Vendetta: when she's reading the note
--At the Wedding: that scene where he explains things
--The Descendants: I lied
--Never Let Me Go: I lied again
--Does Game 7 of the 94 Finals count?

Last edited:
Parts of Shawshank Redemption if I let it, parts of Life if I let it, there's another one I dread watching cuz it's so sad but still a good movie but I can't recall the name at the moment always avoid if it's own after peeping a few minutes of it to see where it's at.

extra late pass...I think I even read this back then and ignored it

Abrams' Star Trek stole beaucoup from Star Wars

Kirk = Luke mixed with Han
Pike = Obi-wan
old Spock = Yoda/Obi-wan
Spock = Anakin
Uhura = Leia
Spock/Uhura in the elevator twist ~ We're brother and sister twist
Vulcan = Alderaan
Bones & Scotty = CP3O & R2D2
Ice planet Kirk goes to = Hoth

Call it reaching, but I call it genius. They made Star Trek not boring by turning it into Star Wars.

That twist wasn't all that good. They're in a relationship so what. Only a big deal for hardcore Trekkies that like the change as opposed to the others that hate it.

As for the OG twist I still standby that being bad writing. Lucas had too much on his plate and probably lost track of that plot point. Makes no sense to think making Luke and Leia love interests only later to reveal they're siblings is some clever writing technique. If done today (and when you look back on it) it'd be called trolling (either the characters or fans) unlike in Old Boy since that was a specific key point in the story.

I'd say you're reaching but I can't even agree that Star Trek was ever boring. It's sci fi space genius specifically TNG.

Last edited:
I don't think Star Trek works as films. I kinda remember TNG reruns being good, but most of the films are trash, and half of the ones that aren't are nice little 80s things.

I think Abrams wasn't really a Trek fan and this was his way of making a Star Wars movie without being allowed to make a Star Wars movie. He stole pieces shamelessly and Spielbergified it, and in doing so, he made a Star Trek film fun and watchable for the first time since, what? Khan? The action, the one-liners, the son of a pilot growing up to be a hero. I mean, they had their own Chewbacca. And their own Hoth yeti.

It's not 2 + 2 = 4, because he's not Paul W. S. Anderson or anything, but I've seen enough Star Trek to know, that that's not Star Trek. If anything Phantom Menace is closer to Star Trek, than Star Trek 09 was. And the films are better off for it.

I don't think Star Trek works as films. I kinda remember TNG reruns being good, but most of the films are trash, and half of the ones that aren't are nice little 80s things.

I think Abrams wasn't really a Trek fan and this was his way of making a Star Wars movie without being allowed to make a Star Wars movie. He stole pieces shamelessly and Spielbergified it, and in doing so, he made a Star Trek film fun and watchable for the first time since, what? Khan? The action, the one-liners, the son of a pilot growing up to be a hero. I mean, they had their own Chewbacca. And their own Hoth yeti.

It's not 2 + 2 = 4, because he's not Paul W. S. Anderson or anything, but I've seen enough Star Trek to know, that that's not Star Trek. If anything Phantom Menace is closer to Star Trek, than Star Trek 09 was. And the films are better off for it.
I get what you're saying better here. The majority aren't that good but it's cuz of how the characters were built up in the show that it's even attempted.

Not sure about Abrams motives. I don't see enough connection to the SW story. We'll see with the sequel, maybe it'll be more apparent then. Overall Abrams laying off on some of the dialogue and how strict characters are to the originals and not hitting certain beats has made it more accessible and I guess more better in the movie medium but to me that's all based on this being an alt universe.

I liked This is 40, but Apatow is killing me with his unnecessarily long "dramedies."

Funny People was the same way. Brevity, man. Learn how to put a proper bow on these kinds of films and knock off 40 minutes.

And I wish he would stop helping catapult Lena Dunham by association. That broad is the worst. I like Girls, but it would be vastly more enjoyable if she died in it.

Anyway, like I said, I liked it. Those extra 40 minutes were really muddled, too, though, so it didn't leave a very enjoyable aftertaste. But it was poignant, honest and real, and I value those things, even in a comedy.

Just catching "Flight"

Great movie man. Anyone else feel the red head chick wasn't all that great in her role? Idk..maybe its just me

Premium Rush was a mixed bag for me.

As a cyclist, I liked it.

As a viewer, one who values script, it was mostly no good.

I like Joey Gordon, and Michael Shannon was brilliant in it (probably one of the best low-key performances of the year). The girl was dumb sexy. The riding was fun to watch. So, aesthetically, it was fine.

The story, however... whatever. It was muddled at first, and then too clear.

Shannon was, undoubtedly, the takeaway for me. Between this and Take Shelter, he is looking like one of the best out there. Somehow, I don't remember him in anything prior to that, even though I've seen a number of them.

Sidebar: He looks way older than 38. And he's in a folk rock band? :lol: :smokin

Knocked Up > This is 40
Movie was alright.
Coulda been 1hr 40mins though. Not this 2 hr 12 min nonsense.
Had its funny moments.
Ms. Fox though...

God Premium Rush was horrible.

Dania Ramirez' acting makes me cringe, the whole movie was just boring and stupid.

I like both Shannon and JGL but even they were terrible in this. Terrible one liners after the other.. but for what it was, I can see how some people would enjoy it due to the cool riding sequences/action.

Chung/Dania need to quit, although they are a nice sight.. which is all hollywood is nowadays, so I guess they fit in just fine.

Back
Top Bottom