Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Very shook up about Ebert's passing. He is the gold standard of the business I am in. Chills ran through my body when I saw the Chicago Sun Times report it.

Here's some great parts of his obit from the Sun-Times

"All that need be mentioned of Ebert’s social life was that in the early 1980s he briefly went out with the hostess of a modest local TV show called “AM Chicago.” Taking her to the Hamburger Hamlet for dinner, Ebert suggested that she syndicate her show, using his success with Siskel as an example of the kind of riches that awaited. While she didn’t return his romantic interest, Oprah Winfrey did follow his business advice."

“‘Kindness’ covers all of my political beliefs,” he wrote, at the end of his memoirs. “No need to spell them out. I believe that if, at the end, according to our abilities, we have done something to make others a little happier, and something to make ourselves a little happier, that is about the best we can do. To make others less happy is a crime. To make ourselves unhapy is where all crime starts. We must try to contribute joy to the world. That is true no matter what our problems, our health, our circumstances. We must try. I didn’t always know this and am happy I lived long enough to find it out.”

as good as kilmer was in tombstone, this is still my favorite scene of the movie:

That is an awesome scene. So many good quotes, "Skin that smokewagon." "Are you going to do anything or just stand there bleeding?" or even Kilmer at the end, "You may go now." Classic.

No love for blazing saddles?

I love Blazing Saddles, but I think if it more as a comedy than a Western. Its by far my personal favorite Mel Brooks movie. I can't believe Cleavon Little didn't go on to have a bigger career after that movie. He was perfect in Blazing Saddles. Gene Wilder, Harvey Korman, Madeline Kahn and Alex Karas were all great too. Funny, funny movie.

I was joking haha I just wanted to talk about blazing saddles.

That 2nd quote venom posted is profound. I like it and agree for the most part.

Been watching tombstone on cable any chance I can get.. When cable stop showing this excellent movie.. It's a absolute must to purchase the blu ray..

Also watched The Prodcers too, none of them did that much for me. Don't like Jerry Lewis movies either. Also never liked Gene Wilder. Could never get into a lot of comedies from that era. I've watched them to have an informed opinion. Just not my cup of tea..

Also don't find Jim Carrey that funny either & add Will Ferrell to that too...

Last edited:
U don't like gene wilder, Jim Carey, or will Ferrell?

Do you have a heart of stone? When you bleed, is it red?

I take that back, some early Will Ferrell is ok including his SNL stuff but I don't care for the rest of it because he plays the same guy over, & over, & over, & over, & over , & over, & over, & over, & over, & over, & over, & over, & over again... Same thing with Carrey...

Robin Hood: Men in Tights is my favorite Mel Brooks film, not his best but the first one I ever saw as a kid back in the 90's and still cracks me up to this day.

son joe pesci got me :rofl: :rofl:

okay... okay.. okay...

it's crazy in a way to watch a movie where they are still talking about freeing nelson mandela. the whole south african plot caught me by suprise

lethal weapon 2 is much funnier. Pesci is great comic relief. yes still dark parts but not in the same league so far an hour 1. the continuity is superb for a sequel

son joe pesci got me :rofl: :rofl:

okay... okay.. okay...

it's crazy in a way to watch a movie where they are still talking about freeing nelson mandela. the whole south african plot caught me by suprise

lethal weapon 2 is much funnier. Pesci is great comic relief. yes still dark parts but not in the same league so far an hour 1. the continuity is superb for a sequel

It gets darker as it goes on and there's some
interesting plot twists.

"Whatever you need, Leo gets...."

Killing them softly sucked

Mmhmm.

If so, how'd you handle it?
You gotta just wear em down with other good movies, that they maybe didn't know were comic books, like Road to Perdition or A History of Violence. Thry and get V for Vendetta by first...Let him know that you recommend good movies, build up that trust...then break it. Troll him with Martyrs or Gummo or Paperboy. Costumes? Really? They're movies, everyone's wearing costumes. Would you sidestep Kill Bill, because you didn't like Fantastic Four? And don't act like everyone and their moms didn't see the Spider-mans and the X-men. Most superhero movies are hollow and forgettable and formula and same **** different costume, but just cuz some of them got cornier doesn't mean there aren't ones still putting in work. I mean, The Dark Knight is basically Heat with a cape. If you like movies and can't trust the dude who directed Inception and The Prestige, then you just wanna be different, and be able to say you never saw them.

Roger Ebert has passed away.

:smh: It was him and the AFI list that opened my eyes to movies forever ago. Damn. RIP.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom