Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

^ The trailer for Elysium will be released on Yahoo on 4/9 @ 7PM ET. I didn't know people still used Yahoo...

Guy Pearce is good at playing sinister guys. I also loved him in The Proposition, which I always recommend to people who like movies. I read somewhere someone was making The Count of Monte Cristo again. The version with Pearce playing Fernand Mondego & Jim Caviezel playing Edmond Dantes was a solid flick. Although I love him, Luis Guzman was miscast :lol:.

I wonder if Fassbender will be the next Bond after Craig let's go of the reins. I can't wait until his next flick with Steve McQueen (Twelve Years a Slave).

Pearce was such a great ruthless bad guy in Lawless

^ The trailer for Elysium will be released on Yahoo on 4/9 @ 7PM ET. I didn't know people still used Yahoo...

Yahoo trailers are the worst, they have a horrible platform / software for their trailers, sites hate them and always switch to the youtube version seconds after the Yahoo is converted

Guy Pearce is good at playing sinister guys. I also loved him in The Proposition, which I always recommend to people who like movies. I read somewhere someone was making The Count of Monte Cristo again. The version with Pearce playing Fernand Mondego & Jim Caviezel playing Edmond Dantes was a solid flick. Although I love him, Luis Guzman was miscast :lol:.

I wonder if Fassbender will be the next Bond after Craig let's go of the reins. I can't wait until his next flick with Steve McQueen (Twelve Years a Slave).

Pearce was such a great ruthless bad guy in Lawless

A lot of people hated Lawless, but I enjoyed it. I'm going to buy it on blu ray when the $ comes down. Yes it had flaws, but the cast was stellar.

I just remember thinking Lawless was slow. I can't get myself to believe Shia LeBeouf in a role like that. Tom Hardy was the man, and Guy Pearce was ruthless, but I just thought the movie needed maybe ONE more bad *** scene. Love story driven movies, but something was missing from this one for me. I'll probably give it another try though.

Yep, never been impressed with Yahoo! trailers myself. Buffering issues that had zero to do with my connection. :smh:

What are the expectations for 42? We're due for a good sports movie but I can't tell yet if this is it. This director's first shot at a sports movie (yes, I know it's about more than just sports, but in my opinion you have to get the sports scenes down in these to make them work. Example of working: Ali, Example of Not: The Blindside). Some of the movies this guy has written for have been critically acclaimed, however my personal opnion of them is EHHHHH like LA Confidential and Mystic River. Just not a fan.

Kind of think it's strange there are no reviews yet on Rotten Tomatoes.

Last edited:
I think it's going to be average.

People will like it because it's about Jackie, but it won't be as great as it should it. It'll be a paint by numbers biopic and won't be anything we talk about in a couple months.

I hope I'm wrong, of course, but just a feeling.

I think Robinson's story would be ideal & more compelling if it was told through his eyes but i think the narrative is from a general point of view. This is what I see at least from the trailers. If that's the case, I think the movie will fail in terms of delivering a compelling story. I have a feeling Harrison Ford's Branch Rickey will be too involved in the story. Unless I find otherwise, this has the makings of a VOD rental to me.

I think it's going to be average.

People will like it because it's about Jackie, but it won't be as great as it should it. It'll be a paint by numbers biopic and won't be anything we talk about in a couple months.

I hope I'm wrong, of course, but just a feeling.

The trailers certainly seem to support your feeling, at least IMO.

Just how in the hell is one ehhhhhhhh about L.A. Confidential? :stoneface:

That movie was ferocious. Awesome acting by the 3 main leads, strong supporting work, solid writing, very good story......ehhhhhhh?

If it wasn't for the Jay-Z cut on the trailer, I would've wrote it off.

Expert marketing on their part. :lol:

That's actually what turned me off from the movie. If it's a period piece, I don't think the song should've been used. It wasn't "authentacious" (Gloansy from The Town) to me.

Anyone a fan of foreign films, specifically Spanish films. I didn't know Bigas Luna from leukemia. RIP...

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=37069

Bigas Luna Dies
Jamón, Jamón director was 67
08 April 2013 | Written by Phil de Semlyen

Acclaimed Spanish filmmaker Bigas Luna has died aged 67. The Catalan director had been battling leukemia.

Like his peer Pedro Almodóvar, Luna was a key voice in the new wave of Spanish filmmaking that emerged under the shadow of General Franco's repressive regime. He started out as a student of conceptual art and design, taking an early interest in visual technologies that would play into a lifelong passion for painting and photography.

Luna's filmmaking career began with low-budget flick Bilbao in 1978, a typically unrestrained, psychosexual drama, before 1981's Reborn - his only English-language film - pitched Dennis Hopper, a phony televangelist, into a relationship with a real faith healer. Anguish (1987) saw Luna turn out a Lynchian horror set in a movie theatre that would go on to achieve cult status.

Arguably, his purple patch stretched across a loose trilogy that began with 1981's Jamón, Jamón. That was followed by Golden Balls and, in 1994, The Tit And The Moon.

A provocateur behind the camera, Luna was also a gifted talent-spotter. Jamón marked Penélope Cruz's big-screen bow, while Javier Bardem, her co-star in the film, has credited the director with his subsequent success. "I owe my career to Bigas Luna," the actor said.

Luna is survived by his wife, Celia, and three daughters.

Just how in the hell is one ehhhhhhhh about L.A. Confidential? :stoneface:

That movie was ferocious. Awesome acting by the 3 main leads, strong supporting work, solid writing, very good story......ehhhhhhh?

blasphemy. that script is perfect.

ill admit it took me a few tries to get through LA confidential in full. Maybe he just gotta watch it again when he is older. when I realized it was a film noir movie and told myself i won't change the channel. I was amazed, it's one of my favorite movies now. a pure classic

^and Glengarry Glen Ross...Swimming With Sharks
If it wasn't for the Jay-Z cut on the trailer, I would've wrote it off.

Expert marketing on their part. :lol:

That's actually what turned me off from the movie. If it's a period piece, I don't think the song should've been used. It wasn't "authentacious" (Gloansy from The Town) to me.

I feel like that's a concession you have to make. Either release your biopic in awards season, or try and shine it up for the kids with the bait and switch.

It doesn't look bad, though. It's just...hard to make a baseball movie pop in a trailer or commercial, and the lead is like an unknown dude.

I'll see it eventually.

Last edited:
^ Yeah, I wouldn't have a drink at most of the bars for fear of something jumping off. St Elmo's is definitely a safer place only you'd have to deal with the 80s fashion... :lol:

It's a blockbuster sports film. That fact alone is enough to tell you it's probably going to be something along the lines of corny and pandering. And it's rated PG-13.

I'll still see it because it's baseball, but, yeah.

MrO you never knew that Michael Myers mask was based on a Shattner mask? :lol: that's the one thing that the film is known for.

As for 42, I wish it didn't have a wide release. I wish it didn't have Jay in the trailer. Ill probably like it either way because I love biopics, but it seems like its trying to hard to appeal to a larger audience.

I can't wait for Anne Frank's trailer set to Taylor Swift and Bieber.

If they made a good movie, they shouldn't need to appeal to a wider audience. People will go see it by word of mouth.

I just hope they didn't screw up an important piece of history like Lucas did with Red Tails...

Saw a great film yesterday called Disconnect, hits theaters on Friday in NY and LA.

Jason Bateman give a career performance, brilliant movie - it's Crash for the digital, wired-in generation

Goonies never say die!!! Funny story from Josh Brolin about the making of Goonies when he was on Conan a while ago...

:stoneface: @ being ehh on L.A. Confidential. That movie is greatness. Watched it over 3 or 4 times the past 2 weeks when I see it on cable.
When he was cast as Vincent in Collateral, the only real villain of his career to date, he was determined to get it right. So Tom Cruise secretly murdered six homeless men.
:rofl: I would've totally believed this.

I've never seen Goonies. :lol: Never ever cared to.

I've seen bits and pieces of it of course, 15-20 minutes, here, 10 minutes there, etc, but never once sat down start to finish. *shrugs*

Back
Top Bottom