Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Owen been in all of them except Moonrise. He even co-wrote the first three.

I feel like he kind of owes his career to Wes. Bottle Rocket was his first acting role, too. Ben Stiller loved it, and then that relationship took off and he started getting roles through him. He did a great job of kind of circumstantially networking early on. It's not like he went to a prestigious film/performing arts school, either (English major at Texas).

Hell, Bottle Rocket was Luke Wilson's first movie, too.

And Rushmore pretty much launched Jason Schwartzman's career, though he obviously isn't as big a star as Wilson (plus, since he's part of the Coppolla family, he would have been ok regardless). Still, that movie is definitely what put him on the map.

I like the addition of Ed Norton to the group Anderson film regulars. He was great in Moonrise and looks like he'll be good in Grand Budapest too.

The dude from white collar is the most wanted for Shades of grey? Meh. Dude is a wack actor but pretty aesthetic. The ONLY dude i could see playing the part and most would agree is Gosling but he already said nah

Quentin Tarantino gave out his top ten favorite movies of 2013
Tarantino-Lists-his-top-10-of-the-year-so-far-6-630x420.jpg

1. Afternoon Delight  (Jill Soloway)
Rachel is a quick-witted and lovable stay-at-home mom. Frustrated with the realities of preschool auctions, a lackluster sex life and career that’s gone kaput, Rachel visits a strip club to spice up her marriage and meets McKenna, a stripper she adopts as her live-in nanny.
Tarantino-Lists-his-top-10-of-the-year-so-far-2-630x420.jpg
2. Before Midnight (Richard 2. Before Midnight (Richard  Linklater)
We meet Jesse and Celine nine years on in Greece. Almost two decades have passed since their first meeting on that train bound for Vienna.
Tarantino-Lists-his-top-10-of-the-year-so-far-8-630x420.jpg
3. Blue Jasmine  (Woody A

2. Blue Jasmine (Woody Allen)

A New York socialite, deeply troubled and in denial, arrives in San Francisco to impose upon her sister. She looks a million, but isn’t bringing money, peace, or love…
Tarantino-Lists-his-top-10-of-the-year-so-far-3-630x420.jpg

4. The Conjuring  (James Wan)
Paranormal investigators Ed and Lorraine Warren work to help a family terrorized by a dark presence in their farmhouse.
Tarantino-Lists-his-top-10-of-the-year-so-far-9-630x420.jpg

5. Drinking Buddies  (Joe Swanberg)
Luke and Kate are co-workers at a Chicago brewery, where they spend their days drinking and flirting. They’re perfect for each other, except that they’re both in relationships.
Tarantino-Lists-his-top-10-of-the-year-so-far-1-630x420.jpg

6. Frances Ha  (Noah Baumbach)
A story that follows a New York woman (who doesn’t really have an apartment), apprentices for a dance company (though she’s not really a dancer), and throws herself headlong into her dreams, even as their possible reality dwindles.

Tarantino-Lists-his-top-10-of-the-year-so-far-10-630x420.jpg

7. Gravity  (Alfonso Cuarón)
A medical engineer and an astronaut work together to survive after an accident leaves them adrift in space.
Tarantino-Lists-his-top-10-of-the-year-so-far-7-630x420.jpg

8. Kick *** 2  (Jeff Wadlow)
The costumed high-school hero Kick-*** joins with a group of normal citizens who have been inspired to fight crime in costume. Meanwhile, the Red Mist plots an act of revenge that will affect everyone Kick-*** knows.
Tarantino-Lists-his-top-10-of-the-year-so-far-4-630x420.jpg

9. The Lone Ranger  (Gore Verbinski)
Native American warrior Tonto recounts the untold tales that transformed John Reid, a man of the law, into a legend of justice.

Tarantino-Lists-his-top-10-of-the-year-so-far-5-630x420.jpg

10. This Is The End  (Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg)
While attending a party at James Franco’s house, Seth Rogen, Jay Baruchel and many other celebrities are faced with the apocalypse.
I have seen This is The End the movie started off good but got dry and corny at the end

Watching The Lone Ranger now pretty good so far always been a Johnny fan

Out of the movies I have not heard of that I would like to check out are Drinking Buddies, Blue Jasmine, and Before Midnight

Last edited:
I didn't realize it at the time... But parks and recs while Paul Schneider was on it was kiiiinda boring

I didn't realize it at the time... But parks and recs while Paul Schneider was on it was kiiiinda boring
Totally disagree, season 2 is my favorite. It actually felt like watching real people, which is something you can't say now.

Real people are better for a drama or dramady IMO. It wasn't trash or anything I just like when they amped up the zanyness and side characters the show blossomed. It's like the opposite of the office.

It actually reminds me of the Simpsons in many ways word to your avatar.

Big surprise, I went and saw Escape Plan.

Come on man. Why isn't this movie selling out midnight screenings?

Arnold and Sly together headlining a film for the first time? :pimp:

This isn't The Expendables films where we don't see much of Arnold. Arnold is very much a huge contributor in the film. He's also hilariuos. :lol:

It was predictable, it was nothing too new, but man it was a blast.

Just like Machete Kills, I eat this up. Everytime, they'll get me.

Especially when there's an emphasis on not just making a movie for the sake of cashing in. Bullet to the Head wasn't very good, and while Escape Plan wasn't riveting, it was fun. It didn't drag. They always kept it interesting.

Seeing Prisoners tonight. Can't wait, have only heard good things.

Hoping to see 12 Years a Slave this week as it's opened in select NYC theaters.

Caught Gravity last night. :smokin [SPOILERS]

IMAX 3D is the only way to see this film. The amount of camera tricks catered to that camera spec are pretty apparent. So many to the degree that it might even annoy you every time you notice a, "Oh. That was for 3D" moment.

It falls in the same category as Avatar in terms of advancement in special effects. Fast-forward 5 years and it might not be that great of a movie (Avatar syndrome), but at the time it certainly is a marvel. The scene where they're bouncing around the space station trying to grab onto ANYTHING, and then the very last chance all she has to cling onto (literally and figuratively) uhhh excuse my ignorance, those ropes, :wow: stunning. Obviously the first drifting scene was a sight in its own right as well. It aggravated me so much EACH TIME THIS NON ATHLETIC CHICK COULD NOT GET A CLEAR HOLD onto anything. Your life is on the freaking line. Rise to the occasion. :lol: The debris was ******g scary man. :x When you could see it gradually getting bigger. 0]

My main criticism with Gravity stems from the script. The line, "Either I come down to earth in one piece with one great story, or I come crashing down to the earth in a million pieces. Either way, it's going to be one hell of a ride!"

:stoneface:

Did the scriptwriters mail it in on that day? Was there a tee time to get to? Maybe someone's wife went into labor.

Either way, hideous. :lol: There were other moments too, but overall to really emphasize that when the greater whole is breathtaking would be petty and nitpick central.

Bullock was, good. I still don't like her. As they say on Friends about Chandler when he asked why people thought he was gay... "It's just... a quality." :lol:

George Clooney was George Clooney in a space suit. Which for acting standards... is amazing. Just wish he would show more range. He never seemed scared in this movie. :lol: I know that's his persona, but again, show some range. Clooney the person is confident and that resonates in every film he acts in. Make the audience believe you're frightened. Make the audience believe you don't know the next step, and that scares the **** out of you. That being said, I enjoyed his performance. Really wish we could have heard the end of his story. |I

I have enjoyed a couple pieces of Alfonso Cuaron's work in the past -- Children of Men, Prisoner of Azkaban. The rest is mostly spanish films, but Gravity sort of clinches him into the category of director's that I automatically associate with good movies (i.e. if you see a commercial with their name attached to it, your brain almost immediately has more of an optimistic approach). Basically, the anti-M. Night.

I'd probably go a 8.5/10. That rating really could decrease as the years go on. I'm curious about the rewatchability on this one as well. Would it be even half as enjoyable the second time around?

Last edited:
Mark on Parks and Rec was just ok... he wasn't really a good character. He was kind of a ladies man but not really charming. He was kind of the straight man to some crazier characters and was a little too normal for the department.

Season 3 remains one of the best TV sitcom seasons ever. It's damn near perfect. The show, while not in it's "prime" anymore, but still in that very good range that follows a TV shows peak, is as close to a live action Simpsons as we'll ever get. The entire town is insane. All the town hall meetings, the TV personalities, the politicians, it really is The Simpsons with real people, short of all the parody and other elements a cartoon can get away with.

Caught Gravity last night. :smokin [SPOILERS]

IMAX 3D is the only way to see this film. The amount of camera tricks catered to that camera spec are pretty apparent. So many to the degree that it might even annoy you every time you notice a, "Oh. That was for 3D" moment.

It falls in the same category as Avatar in terms of advancement in special effects. Fast-forward 5 years and it might not be that great of a movie (Avatar syndrome), but at the time it certainly is a marvel. The scene where they're bouncing around the space station trying to grab onto ANYTHING, and then the very last chance all she has to cling onto (literally and figuratively) uhhh excuse my ignorance, those ropes, :wow: stunning. Obviously the first drifting scene was a sight in its own right as well. It aggravated me so much EACH TIME THIS NON ATHLETIC CHICK COULD NOT GET A CLEAR HOLD onto anything. Your life is on the freaking line. Rise to the occasion. :lol: The debris was ******g scary man. :x When you could see it gradually getting bigger. 0]

My main criticism with Gravity stems from the script. The line, "Either I come down to earth in one piece with one great story, or I come crashing down to the earth in a million pieces. Either way, it's going to be one hell of a ride!"

:stoneface:

Did the scriptwriters mail it in on that day? Was there a tee time to get to? Maybe someone's wife went into labor.

Either way, hideous. :lol: There were other moments too, but overall to really emphasize that when the greater whole is breathtaking would be petty and nitpick central.

Bullock was, good. I still don't like her. As they say on Friends about Chandler when he asked why people thought he was gay... "It's just... a quality." :lol:

George Clooney was George Clooney in a space suit. Which for acting standards... is amazing. Just wish he would show more range. He never seemed scared in this movie. :lol: I know that's his persona, but again, show some range. Clooney the person is confident and that resonates in every film he acts in. Make the audience believe you're frightened. Make the audience believe you don't know the next step, and that scares the **** out of you. That being said, I enjoyed his performance. Really wish we could have heard the end of his story. |I

I have enjoyed a couple pieces of Alfonso Cuaron's work in the past -- Children of Men, Prisoner of Azkaban. The rest is mostly spanish films, but Gravity sort of clinches him into the category of director's that I automatically associate with good movies (i.e. if you see a commercial with their name attached to it, your brain almost immediately has more of an optimistic approach). Basically, the anti-M. Night.

I'd probably go a 8.5/10. That rating really could decrease as the years go on. I'm curious about the rewatchability on this one as well. Would it be even half as enjoyable the second time around?

It's going to suffer being on a small screen. Movies like this, Avatar, Pacific Rim, Hugo, are all movies that deserve to be shown on the big screen with each presentation. Limiting it to a 32, 48, even 60 inch TV doesn't do it justice (or God forbid, a laptop monitor :x ).

It was a cinematic experience with a good story. I enjoyed the actual plot to this (learning to let go), more than Avatar.

Loved Prisoners :pimp: I've honestly never given Hugh Jackman a chance, but he was really good. Same goes for Gyllenhaal, especially in the later end of the film.

Great twists, and I was fine with the ending, unlike the majority of the theater I was in :lol: .

Definitely recommended.

Caught Gravity last night.
smokin.gif
[SPOILERS]

It falls in the same category as Avatar in terms of advancement in special effects. Fast-forward 5 years and it might not be that great of a movie (Avatar syndrome), but at the time it certainly is a marvel. The scene where they're bouncing around the space station trying to grab onto ANYTHING, and then the very last chance all she has to cling onto (literally and figuratively) uhhh excuse my ignorance, those ropes,
eek.gif
stunning. Obviously the first drifting scene was a sight in its own right as well. It aggravated me so much EACH TIME THIS NON ATHLETIC CHICK COULD NOT GET A CLEAR HOLD onto anything. Your life is on the freaking line. Rise to the occasion.
laugh.gif
The debris was ******g scary man.
sick.gif
When you could see it gradually getting bigger.
alien.gif

indifferent.gif

Either way, hideous.
laugh.gif
There were other moments too, but overall to really emphasize that when the greater whole is breathtaking would be petty and nitpick central.

Bullock was, good. I still don't like her. As they say on Friends about Chandler when he asked why people thought he was gay... "It's just... a quality."
laugh.gif

George Clooney was George Clooney in a space suit. Which for acting standards... is amazing. Just wish he would show more range. He never seemed scared in this movie.
laugh.gif
I know that's his persona, but again, show some range. Clooney the person is confident and that resonates in every film he acts in. Make the audience believe you're frightened. Make the audience believe you don't know the next step, and that scares the **** out of you. That being said, I enjoyed his performance. Really wish we could have heard the end of his story.
tired.gif

agree to pretty much everything you said man, I loved Alfonso's work before and saw all of his characteristics in this one, extremely long takes, the first scene of just the Earth and the speck of George and Sandra's ship coming in closer and closer then to the convo of Sandra working on the side of the ship was like a single take of 15 min. faint symbolisms of life was really great, (sandra getting air in the ship and was a midair fetal position and a random cord making it look like a baby in the womb was amazing to me) the people who previously visited the station and their belongings, you can tell they were men being messy and not cleaning up ****
laugh.gif
not believing in God yet Buddha theres to offer something at least, lines were a bit corny like you said

jumping straight into the movie with just a title of the facts of space and the ending of just cutting it off with the end title I was juiced
laugh.gif

I feel exactly the sasme way of your opinions on George and Sandra and was a "little trolling pissed off "
laugh.gif
that Sandra had mostly the screen time. be it before I had no knowledge she was the main. i lurk this thread all the time just ignored Gravity until I saw it, last night

Watched The Heat last night and it was the funniest movie of the year..Also watched The Purge and it was the stupidest movie of the year..Might watch Zero Dark Thirty tonight but I've heard it's a slow movie and don't want to be bored with it..

Have you seen Clooney in Burn After Reading? It's probably the most against-type performance I've ever seen him in :lol:

Last edited:
United States of Leland was ****** up.

A young Gosling looking like a dork though :lol:
Prisoners....... Is it the neighbor that was asked if he seen the girls and then said why is there anything wrong?

No. Just watch it. :lol:
I was only 20 min in at the time and that was the only thing that stood out to me and as it was building up the only thing on my mind was who did it.

EDIT

So Prisoners was great. Really really good but I knew I wasn't far off. This gave me those Mystic River feels. I knew from the jump something was off about who was being obsessed over to be the abductor. It becomes a bit more clear once the detective visits that mother and you see the pic of her kid. They took a Law & Order SVU plot and just had better acting and better pacing obviously. I'll check later for the ep with the same twist.

Stellar performance by Jackman as I expected.

Dano did his thing. I believed he was that damaged.

**** Terrance Howard though. ***** *** *****. How Viola got more balls than him?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom