Oh I'm sorry, Did I Break Your Conversation........Well Allow Me A Movie Thread by S&T

Leo and his team pick the best roles bar none.

Forgot how good he was in Django, better than Fassbender in 12 Years A Slave IMO

CP, I'm not saying he's a bad actor nor that he has a bad resume. He's a solid actor who picks stellar projects but I haven't seen anything from him that bowled me over & said damn, that's Oscar worthy. He stays within the realm of anger & despair which he's great at doing but he doesn't go outside of that. Those are the 2 things you mentioned right off the bat in your reply even. Give me a scene where he displays some subtlety not related to anger & despair. Let's chop it up & discuss.

Edit - Take this scene from American Hustle for example. The expression Bale has when Lawrence is beckoning to him... It's priceless. That's real life right there. It shows so many different ranges of emotion & thoughts on his face like, "damn, I need to quit her" "She won't let me go" "I still love her" " I need some yambs" "Someone please help me get out of her" "Damn she look good".

Show me a scene where Leo doesn't have his face & forehead squelched up & not delivering some monologue. When you see Leo & read his face you just see "DAMN, DAMN, DAMN, DAMN" or in the case of WOWS "f**k f**k f**k Motherf**er"...

Lord have mercy, I think I started a Fast & Furious like debate with CP... :lol:

Last edited:
Its 28 degrees outside so I am not leaving until its time to workout. So I need to find some movies to watch. Thinking about checking out About Time, Escape Plan, or In A World(since someone posted the trailer and I like Indie to)

Any suggesting on which ones to watch or any other films I should check out.

His Resume is a Gad damn joke, it's absurd. :lol:

What's Eating Gilbert Grape
The Basketball Diaries
Romeo & Juliet
Titanic
The Man in the Iron Mask (wildly underrated)
The Beach
Gangs of New York
Catch Me if You Can
The Aviator
The Departed
Blood Diamond
Body of Lies
Revolutionary Road
Shudder Island
Inception
J Edgar
Django Unchained
The Great Gatsby
Wolf of Wall Street

He damn near is the best part of almost every single film. And a few of them, he's every scene type. (Such as Wolf)

He has 2 "meh" films. Road and Romeo, everything else was solid as can be. Even J Edgar he was great in, tho the movie was not considered very great. He himself carried the role just fine.

He's played pretty much the same role over the past decade plus (starting from Gangs of New York). Whether his character is a plantation owner or a dream extractor, his performance usually consists of him starting off the movie as the charming guy with a tinge of paranoia which eventually devolves into bat**** crazy screaming and anger by the movies end.

Ex. of screaming

What's Eating Gilbert Grape might still be his best performance IMO.

But having said all that, Leo is still one of my favorites and he's very good at what he does. I'd just like to him to show more of an all-around game and I think it'll really take an out of the box performance for him to finally get over the hump and win an Academy Award.

Last edited:
CP's list just reminded me, yall all should watch The Beach again if you saw it :pimp:
Name a scene where he's shown an emotion that's not related to anger, fear, or desperation & let's chop the scene up. A scene where his face is expressing something other than the emotions I mention.
The Departed. His cunning and dedication was through the roof.

What he did in Catch Me If You Can was a whole different animal.
^^^ I'm not knocking Leo, so much as I'm praising those other guys.
Well this didn't really start off as comparing other guys to Leo. Other elite actors were brought up to knock Leo's skill. He brings up the little details other actors do in roles and says Leo has never done them if they don't involve fear, anger, or desperation.

If we focus just on Leo, yall all would see the light.

His Resume is a Gad damn joke, it's absurd. :lol:

What's Eating Gilbert Grape
The Basketball Diaries
Romeo & Juliet
Titanic
The Man in the Iron Mask (wildly underrated)
The Beach
Gangs of New York
Catch Me if You Can
The Aviator
The Departed
Blood Diamond
Body of Lies
Revolutionary Road
Shudder Island
Inception
J Edgar
Django Unchained
The Great Gatsby
Wolf of Wall Street

He damn near is the best part of almost every single film. And a few of them, he's every scene type. (Such as Wolf)

He has 2 "meh" films. Road and Romeo, everything else was solid as can be. Even J Edgar he was great in, tho the movie was not considered very great. He himself carried the role just fine.

He's played pretty much the same role over the past decade plus (starting from Gangs of New York). Whether his character is a plantation owner or a dream extractor, his performance usually consists of him starting off the movie as the charming guy with a tinge of paranoia which eventually devolves into bat**** crazy screaming and anger by the movies end. I don't wanna be seen like I'm always on Joaquin's nuts but he's shown more range in two movies, The Master and Her, than Leo has in his whole career.

What's Eating Gilbert Grape might still be his best performance IMO.
So the guy in Blood Diamond is the same guy in Inception?

The guy in the Body of Lies is the same guy in Shudder Island?

The guy in Gangs is the same guy in Django?

I won't count when he actually played real ppl like J Edgar and Wolf.

Last edited:
Was that what I said?

The characters are obviously different, but he approaches each performance the same way.
And I'm saying he didn't.

Your complaint is the same one ppl give about Denzel, I'm saying that is not the case with Leo. He's not playing "the same role over the past decade plus"

Of course the characters are different. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about Leo's performance.

Last edited:
CP, I'm not saying he's a bad actor nor that he has a bad resume. He's a solid actor who picks stellar projects but I haven't seen anything from him that bowled me over & said damn, that's Oscar worthy. He stays within the realm of anger & despair which he's great at doing but he doesn't go outside of that. Those are the 2 things you mentioned right off the bat in your reply even. Give me a scene where he displays some subtlety not related to anger & despair. Let's chop it up & discuss.

Edit - Take this scene from American Hustle for example. The expression Bale has when Lawrence is beckoning to him... It's priceless. That's real life right there. It shows so many different ranges of emotion & thoughts on his face like, "damn, I need to quit her" "She won't let me go" "I still love her" " I need some yambs" "Someone please help me get out of her" "Damn she look good".

Show me a scene where Leo doesn't have his face & forehead squelched up & not delivering some monologue. When you see Leo & read his face you just see "DAMN, DAMN, DAMN, DAMN" or in the case of WOWS "f**k f**k f**k Motherf**er"...

Lord have mercy, I think I started a Fast & Furious like debate with CP... :lol:

K,

You were sayin? :lol:

^^^ As we all know from Tropic Thunder, Leo can't get too much credit for Arnie Grape since he pretty much went full-******. Never go full-******.

Last edited:
"20 ******g years ago, CP. 20 years! You'll never see that type of performance from him again.."

I'm sorry, the Cerebral Palsy scene didn't just drop last month?

As someone else eluded to, the dance at the wedding scene didn't happen?

You have any Christian Bale, Daniel Day Lewis dancing moves with smug *** looks on their faces?

What about the mocking of Jonah at the pool table when he was trying to talk about his shoe friend? When Leo was matching him word for word, facial expressions and all

His accent in Blood Diamond?

His Boston accent in Departed?

What the hell do you people want? I LOVE Bale, but he sits in a scene, says nothing, and everyone starts clamoring for his awesomness, but Leo does something, and "oh, that don't count" **** man.

CP defending someone harder than he defends Mike _'Antoni :wow:

I never thought I'd see the day. :lol:

But in all seriousness... Both are amazing actors in my book.

:lol:, well clue me in next time dang it. :lol:

Aye, I LOVE DDL, Bale, Leo, DeNiro, Denzel, but at some point, they all do repetitive stuff.

I mean, could I not make the argument that DeNiro always makes the same face? Always smokes a cigarette the same, acts mean the same, etc? Could I not make that same comparison?

Clooney. That dude is George freaking Clooney in every movie I see him in. :lol: He's not on their level of course, but I'm not even sure he "acts" in films, or just shows up to roll tape.

Also, don't forget, Leo was up for American Psycho, and passed. Why? I don't know. The Beach? I wish he would have taken that role, but maybe he'll get Devil in the White City made, and we can see him as a crazy serial killer. :lol:

Speaking of RDJ, although he's kind of been coasting lately with the Ironman and Sherlock Homes movies, when he wants to, he can seriously act too. Tropic Thunder is a good example. But you have other performances like Chaplain, etc. that are great as well. He's up there with the elite when he wants to be. I include Ed Norton in that group, but not Matt Damon.

Speaking of RDJ, although he's kind of been coasting lately with the Ironman and Sherlock Homes movies, when he wants to, he can seriously act too. Tropic Thunder is a good example. But you have other performances like Chaplain, etc. that are great as well. He's up there with the elite when he wants to be. I include Ed Norton in that group, but not Matt Damon.

Agreed about RDJ, I'd like him to try some smaller films to flex his muscles again. Norton can be here & there. I'd say Damon is in the outskirts. I admire some of the roles he takes though. That one scene in Good Will Hunting where he finally breaks down & cries in the arms of Robin Williams. :x He also co-wrote an Academy Award winning script to a great movie while also anchoring the movie as the lead. None of the other actors mentioned can say that.

CP, I already mentioned Gilbert Grape a couple of times (along with This Boy's Life). That role was different for him but haven't seen a different role like that since then.

My argument is basically splitting hairs. He's a solid actor whose done stellar movies. I'd like to see him do something different though.

Edit - :lol: How about this for subtlety... Leo can do Jack Nicholson eye brows... Forward to apprx 2:18 mark...

Last edited:
The other actors being mentioned are less scrutinized than Leo because they're not chasing Oscars as obviously as he is. RDJ probably just cares about having fun and collecting $50 million checks for his marvel movies. Denzel won his Oscars a long time ago so he's already thrown his dambs out the windo, he's been coasting and collecting paychecks for well over a decade.You can tell how desperately Leo wants an Oscar with every role he chooses and he probably wont be able to get the haters off his back till he gets one.

David O. Russell has successfully directed all his actors to awards and nominations in his last three movies, The Fighter, Silver Linings Playbook, and American Hustle; so guess who's gonna be starring in his next movie :lol:

Last edited:
Been praising Tropic Thunder. The boy RDJR became a black man. IDC what anybody says, it was amazing and not offensive at all.
where we got norton and damon in this discussion?
Probably below anybody that's been mentioned so far (Bale, DDL, Phoenix, Leo) but I got Norton over Damon.

There's a certain space left open in the rankings for the Hoffman's and Giammatti's of the world.

Last edited:
The other actors being mentioned are less scrutinized than Leo because they're not chasing Oscars as obviously as he is. RDJ probably just cares about having fun and collecting $50 million checks for his marvel movies. Denzel won his Oscars a long time ago so he's already thrown his dambs out the windo, he's been coasting and collecting paychecks for well over a decade.You can tell how desperately Leo wants an Oscar with every role he chooses and he probably wont be able to get the haters off his back till he gets one.

David O. Russell has successfully directed all his actors to awards and nominations in his last three movies, The Fighter, Silver Linings Playbook, and American Hustle; so guess who's gonna be starring in his next movie :lol:
I wouldn't say Leo isn't having fun in his movies or that he's that desperate.

Besides I think he knows he's not getting the award for Wolf this year and imo he wasn't chasing an award when he decided to be in Django.

Last edited:
man.. i've seen good will hunting a hand full of times recently.. and that movie gets me every time

had to go rewatch bourne identity

Back
Top Bottom