OK so Clemens is a Fraud...so who do you think is the best pitcher of "our generation" ?

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

275707.jpg

/thread

Fixed.

I MEAN, EVEN WITHOUT STEROIDS, HE WAS STILL THE BEST, SAME WITH BONDS..THAT'S WHAT'S REALLY SAD ABOUT THEM

Maddux.. not even close IMO

His ability to command the pitch count was unmatched.. Especially for a someone who's never thrown over 93-94 a day in his life.. Maddux is an absolutegenius from the mound.. Dude had no fear to throw a pitch out on a 2-1 count.. He knew you'd ground out on the 3-1 trying to hit for the fences..
glasses.gif

Most intelligent and best pitcher i've ever seen..

Even though I don't think he's the best, I'm glad to see Maddux getting love from you guys...Truth03 is right, Maddux is arguably the most cerebralpitcher of all time. It's too bad that the current generation of scouts put such a huge emphasis on height and velocity. It doesn't take much torealize that guys like Joe Nathan were bums without offspeed stuff and improved discipline.

I've noticed that some of the best pitchers have had great two-seam fastballs and or cutters. If you've ever faced guys who throw 95+, you'd knowthat they're very hitable if they're just throwing straight balls. Maddux and Pedro both have great movement on their fastballs. Combine that withgreat command, and hitters are rarely going to make solid contact.

I'd still take Rat Johnson in his prime to pitch a big game for me. From like '95-'02 he was the most feared man on Earth. It was likeeverytime he took the mound he was capable of tossing a no-hitter.

I'm going to go with Maddux, but I won't feel good about myself making this reply without at least mentioning Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling, or PedroMartinez.

Randy Johnson and Curt Schilling were money for the D'Backs World Series victory, and Schilling has been on point for the Red Sox, but off the top, I'mthinking Schilling's years with the Phils weren't impressive enough to warrant 'best pitcher of our generation.' let me go check that beforesetting that opinion in concrete, though.

As for Pedro and Randy, I'm going with Maddux because he was more consistently better for a longer duration. Pedro and Randy have been nice for damn neartheir whole careers, and they've each had spans where they were LIGHTS OUT. Maddux has never had a span where he's been LIGHTS OUT, but he has beenmore consistent for longer. *edit* I take that back; from '92 - '98, Maddux was on another level.

'The best ________ of our generation' is not a sprint.

For me, Maddux wins the marathon.

P.S. For the title 'best pitcher of our generation', Johan and Beckett are too new.

Maddux
Johnson
Glavine

All in that order for me. Not counting closers/relievers and only in the late 80s through 90s.

Back
Top Bottom