Older NTers: What do you feel sucks more today compared to 20 years ago: music or movies?

Sheep
laugh.gif

I can name a ton of current bands/ groups/ artists that are groundbreaking.  The "music is crap nowadays" argument is tired. Music is my #1 passion, and I hardly ever listen to the radio. learn 2 internet.

Same with movies.

/hipster

Originally Posted by an dee 51o

Sheep
laugh.gif

I can name a ton of current bands/ groups/ artists that are groundbreaking.  The "music is crap nowadays" argument is tired. Music is my #1 passion, and I hardly ever listen to the radio. learn 2 internet.

Same with movies.

/hipster
This man.

I don't know how you can say music sucks today unless you ONLY listen to mainstream radio. I'm getting turned on every week to something new.

Sheep
laugh.gif

Same with movies.

/hipster
This man.

I don't know how you can say music sucks today unless you ONLY listen to mainstream radio. I'm getting turned on every week to something new.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Sheep
laugh.gif

Same with movies.

/hipster
This man.

You don't have to only listen to mainstream radio to know how much it has declined, cause it's all over like background music. I don't listen to the radio, but I do know that
the only thing on there is Young Money, random RnB, Rick Ross, and what ever new ringtone/dance single is hot.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Sheep
laugh.gif

Same with movies.

/hipster
This man.

You don't have to only listen to mainstream radio to know how much it has declined, cause it's all over like background music. I don't listen to the radio, but I do know that
the only thing on there is Young Money, random RnB, Rick Ross, and what ever new ringtone/dance single is hot.

The ability to discover and find new artists, genres, is so much easier and more available. If NT is thinking strictly hip hop then sure.. But the digital age has broaden the chances to find new music tremendously.
Movies are still good now too, if maybe for the same reason. The rise and popularity of indies makes a difference.

People always associate the past with better things and only see the negative from their current society and culture. Get over it, yes.. We all love Fresh Prince and eating Dunkaroos and watching Jordan but that's in the past. Appreciate it and enjoy it, but the complaining is tiring.. there's plenty of good movies, music, etc out for us now, you just have to look for it.

The ability to discover and find new artists, genres, is so much easier and more available. If NT is thinking strictly hip hop then sure.. But the digital age has broaden the chances to find new music tremendously.
Movies are still good now too, if maybe for the same reason. The rise and popularity of indies makes a difference.

People always associate the past with better things and only see the negative from their current society and culture. Get over it, yes.. We all love Fresh Prince and eating Dunkaroos and watching Jordan but that's in the past. Appreciate it and enjoy it, but the complaining is tiring.. there's plenty of good movies, music, etc out for us now, you just have to look for it.

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

The quality of acceptable radio music seems to be down today when compared to radio music twenty years ago.
This, I actually agree with

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

The quality of acceptable radio music seems to be down today when compared to radio music twenty years ago.
This, I actually agree with

For me its movies everything now is like a bad remake. Its like Hollywood ran outta ideas. I pay alot more attention to T.V. series than movies.

Theres still alot of great music out there to me you just cant listen to the BS on the radio.

For me its movies everything now is like a bad remake. Its like Hollywood ran outta ideas. I pay alot more attention to T.V. series than movies.

Theres still alot of great music out there to me you just cant listen to the BS on the radio.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Originally Posted by LDJ

It is a hard choice but id def imho say visual entertainment. their isnt any progression in the tv/movie genre. Just look at the previous decade. 90% of the top grossing movies were remakes,reissued,variations of older movies. I mean lets see...

Spiderman/batman/xmen/charlies angels/star wars/ateam/gi joe/mission impossible/terminator/willy wonka/the longest yard/ etc and so on. Then tv shows are basically the same concepts as well. either that or reality tv and even those mostly are variations of the same thing ie.. ray j love/flava of love/i love ny/ all the singing shows/talent shows aka star search. Not including the 50 million same concept judge/cooking/single rich woman famous for being famous looking for love shows.

How can you make an argument for movies and tv shows and use piss poor examples?
How could you leave out Deadwood? The Sopranos and Deadwood were the best TV shows of the last decade.

And yeah, TV has been getting better. But only because they can show more on TV now than they could in the 90s and earlier. Back then they couldn't even have profanity, let alone nudity. And HBO brought both. Not to mention violence that is much more graphic.

If you compare TV shows fair and on equal terms, such as comedy shows, the 90s are still hands down better.
You can't, and you can't use it as a basis for your argument.  "Fair and equal" terms, in what way?  TV has evolved dramatically in the past 10 years.  The only forms that haven't really caught on are comedies with the exception of Curb (Extras is too new to judge).  The 30 minute sitcom is still for the Networks, since it works.  Dramas on major networks are failing at an amazing rate (ex. The Event), either because they can't gain an audience fast enough, or because writers can't push the enveloper or the story line enough.

Dramas are the biggest representation of real life, and the FCC has no control over real life.  More than a decade ago, premium channels and cable networks had a decision to make.  Their audience was shrinking because they couldn't produce enough content.  HBO wasn't making enough money, subscriptions were down, and Boxing wasn't pulling it's weight.  They started producing shows, Oz was born, it gained an audience.  Then came the Sopranos, which changed the game completely.

Quality tv has been booming ever since, of course if you are a part of the reality crowd there's plenty of content on the networks and MTV for you.

I believe movies have also been better, and there is a lot of crap out there, unfortunately people like crap and buy a lot of crap.  If you are using the Top 20 grossing movies as your basis, then you will find a lot of trash.  The majority of America loves a mindless flick, can you blame them.  Movies, and the movie experience is about making you forget about your life for 90-120 minutes.  Studios know that, and they also know that critically acclaimed films don't make Cars 2 money.  However, they know that Cars 2 money can fund movies that will drop from Thanksgiving-Christmas and will create Oscar buzz.

Also, I hate that people can't tell the difference a remake and an adaptation.  Yes, there are tons of those out there, but that is because studio heads are a part of our generation, these stories are intriguing to them.  Why do so many people watch Transformers even though the series has been trash, because the kid inside of us who watched the cartoons wants to see these giant robots come to life.  I know I'm not the only one that got goosebumps when we saw the big rig turn into Optimus Prime for the first time,
smokin.gif

There have been a ton of reboots in the comic book genre but that is because Christopher Nolan came in, took over the Batman series and completely changed the way comic book movies were made.  They didn't have to be straight from the book, you can make it realistic, you can make it dark, you can implement modern day issues.  As opposed to taking a battle from a comic and putting it into film verbatim.

I guess your young but ive seen optimus prime transform iuno 20 odd years ago so it wasnt a big wow, hell i had the toy so ive transformed him myself a time or two. I mean while the dark knight was a excellent movie the concept of batman isnt new, maybe the actors etc the effects but it still isnt new. Just like this smurf movie comming up or the thundercats. The idea isnt new. it is the exact same thing it was 25 yrs ago except it is updated. What i am saying back in the day these ideas were new. Gremlins was a new concept, it wasnt a updated new version of the gremlins it was an entirely new concept. Little shop of horrors was a new idea, not a remake of some older movie.  And all the tv shows you mentioned are on premium channels and even those are variations of other tv shows and movies ie sopranos tv version of godfather so on and so forth.

I mean yea there have been some great movies out its just they havent been original. Movies/tv shows of today is just like everything else the last 10 odd years or so, slight tweaks improvements glitz and glamour over the same ideas.

Key example myspace facebook etc. You can say one is old lame etc but at the end of the day the concept and what they do is basically the same, someone just decided hey this is lame this isnt cool anymore toppled with oh we just gonna tweak add a lil this or that to something someone already did and BAMM ppl flock all over it like its new, when in all actuality its pretty much the same thing you was just off of.

I guess if its simply based on preference then ok ill agree there have been better movies the past 10 odd years or so then music, But if you go off new innovative, and fresh ideas then music has it.

Like i for the past 10 yrs name 10 movies that are original ideas concepts? Not a movie/concept/idea that has been doing but updated to modern times via technology, but an actual new idea/concept. You cant and if so its probably some unheard of etc movie. I mean you had benjamin button, ai i think and maybe a few more. But all in all most movies/tv shows that are top grossing today are the same movies that was top grossing 25 30+ years ago. When i went to see back to the future it was fresh new someything different, When i go see batman/xmen etc I know the basic concept, the plot the characters etc, only thing that kepts me entertain are the new age effects, and how are they going to add to a story i have already heard 20 30 odd years ago.

I mean even kid shows, i saw fraggie rock for the first time i had no idea what to expect, hr puffnstuff, i didnt read that and say oh this has been done before a kid stuck on a island with a magic weed joint that sings and grant wishes. When you see pheanus and ferb you alrady have an idea like ok this is basically like an ed edd and eddy. The new tmnt, the new power ranger etc, you already know have a general idea whats going to happen who are the characters the plots, the story lines the end results of every episode. The high technology is what keeps you in the seats. Now if i was like 20 something or so maybe cause it would be fresh and new to me.

But now if i see a new tmnt, its not like imma be shocked and wowed like i wonder what this is gonna be about. I already have an general idea of the story plot the entire movie. Im just sitting there for the cgi and matrix type add ons. Its not like imma be like wow this is all new to me these guys eat pizza and ice cream.

With music its slightly different. First kanye single i heard, i had now idea what his cd was gonna sound like. Same thing with like cee lo green. I had goodie mob soul food etc. And from listening to that, And comparing it to like his latest f you. The sound the style is totally different. The concept style album of lets say jay z sounds nothing like roscoe dash. Hell even if you want to use same artist busta of fu snickens sounds nothing like busta of elements or busta of today. Whole style idea concept is totally different.

But ateam of today is the same ateam of the 80's. Same characters, same ideas, same general concepts, story lines etc. Same with a vast majority of movies tv of today. Your right about the dramas, but even those are copying remaking of each other just placing them in different settings. CSI Miami la etc ny the idea storyline so forth and so on are basically the same just placing them in different enviroments. Its going to get to a point where tv is gonna be majority reality tv with like 5 different ideas with 50 different versions of each of the ideas ie, talent shows, ppl life shows, dating, judges,cooking, jobs/work. A few comedies here and there, and 50 or so different hospital/cop/gangster/hood drama shows all based on the same ideas concepts etc. 

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Originally Posted by LDJ

It is a hard choice but id def imho say visual entertainment. their isnt any progression in the tv/movie genre. Just look at the previous decade. 90% of the top grossing movies were remakes,reissued,variations of older movies. I mean lets see...

Spiderman/batman/xmen/charlies angels/star wars/ateam/gi joe/mission impossible/terminator/willy wonka/the longest yard/ etc and so on. Then tv shows are basically the same concepts as well. either that or reality tv and even those mostly are variations of the same thing ie.. ray j love/flava of love/i love ny/ all the singing shows/talent shows aka star search. Not including the 50 million same concept judge/cooking/single rich woman famous for being famous looking for love shows.

How can you make an argument for movies and tv shows and use piss poor examples?
How could you leave out Deadwood? The Sopranos and Deadwood were the best TV shows of the last decade.

And yeah, TV has been getting better. But only because they can show more on TV now than they could in the 90s and earlier. Back then they couldn't even have profanity, let alone nudity. And HBO brought both. Not to mention violence that is much more graphic.

If you compare TV shows fair and on equal terms, such as comedy shows, the 90s are still hands down better.
You can't, and you can't use it as a basis for your argument.  "Fair and equal" terms, in what way?  TV has evolved dramatically in the past 10 years.  The only forms that haven't really caught on are comedies with the exception of Curb (Extras is too new to judge).  The 30 minute sitcom is still for the Networks, since it works.  Dramas on major networks are failing at an amazing rate (ex. The Event), either because they can't gain an audience fast enough, or because writers can't push the enveloper or the story line enough.

Dramas are the biggest representation of real life, and the FCC has no control over real life.  More than a decade ago, premium channels and cable networks had a decision to make.  Their audience was shrinking because they couldn't produce enough content.  HBO wasn't making enough money, subscriptions were down, and Boxing wasn't pulling it's weight.  They started producing shows, Oz was born, it gained an audience.  Then came the Sopranos, which changed the game completely.

Quality tv has been booming ever since, of course if you are a part of the reality crowd there's plenty of content on the networks and MTV for you.

I believe movies have also been better, and there is a lot of crap out there, unfortunately people like crap and buy a lot of crap.  If you are using the Top 20 grossing movies as your basis, then you will find a lot of trash.  The majority of America loves a mindless flick, can you blame them.  Movies, and the movie experience is about making you forget about your life for 90-120 minutes.  Studios know that, and they also know that critically acclaimed films don't make Cars 2 money.  However, they know that Cars 2 money can fund movies that will drop from Thanksgiving-Christmas and will create Oscar buzz.

Also, I hate that people can't tell the difference a remake and an adaptation.  Yes, there are tons of those out there, but that is because studio heads are a part of our generation, these stories are intriguing to them.  Why do so many people watch Transformers even though the series has been trash, because the kid inside of us who watched the cartoons wants to see these giant robots come to life.  I know I'm not the only one that got goosebumps when we saw the big rig turn into Optimus Prime for the first time,
smokin.gif

There have been a ton of reboots in the comic book genre but that is because Christopher Nolan came in, took over the Batman series and completely changed the way comic book movies were made.  They didn't have to be straight from the book, you can make it realistic, you can make it dark, you can implement modern day issues.  As opposed to taking a battle from a comic and putting it into film verbatim.

I guess your young but ive seen optimus prime transform iuno 20 odd years ago so it wasnt a big wow, hell i had the toy so ive transformed him myself a time or two. I mean while the dark knight was a excellent movie the concept of batman isnt new, maybe the actors etc the effects but it still isnt new. Just like this smurf movie comming up or the thundercats. The idea isnt new. it is the exact same thing it was 25 yrs ago except it is updated. What i am saying back in the day these ideas were new. Gremlins was a new concept, it wasnt a updated new version of the gremlins it was an entirely new concept. Little shop of horrors was a new idea, not a remake of some older movie.  And all the tv shows you mentioned are on premium channels and even those are variations of other tv shows and movies ie sopranos tv version of godfather so on and so forth.

I mean yea there have been some great movies out its just they havent been original. Movies/tv shows of today is just like everything else the last 10 odd years or so, slight tweaks improvements glitz and glamour over the same ideas.

Key example myspace facebook etc. You can say one is old lame etc but at the end of the day the concept and what they do is basically the same, someone just decided hey this is lame this isnt cool anymore toppled with oh we just gonna tweak add a lil this or that to something someone already did and BAMM ppl flock all over it like its new, when in all actuality its pretty much the same thing you was just off of.

I guess if its simply based on preference then ok ill agree there have been better movies the past 10 odd years or so then music, But if you go off new innovative, and fresh ideas then music has it.

Like i for the past 10 yrs name 10 movies that are original ideas concepts? Not a movie/concept/idea that has been doing but updated to modern times via technology, but an actual new idea/concept. You cant and if so its probably some unheard of etc movie. I mean you had benjamin button, ai i think and maybe a few more. But all in all most movies/tv shows that are top grossing today are the same movies that was top grossing 25 30+ years ago. When i went to see back to the future it was fresh new someything different, When i go see batman/xmen etc I know the basic concept, the plot the characters etc, only thing that kepts me entertain are the new age effects, and how are they going to add to a story i have already heard 20 30 odd years ago.

I mean even kid shows, i saw fraggie rock for the first time i had no idea what to expect, hr puffnstuff, i didnt read that and say oh this has been done before a kid stuck on a island with a magic weed joint that sings and grant wishes. When you see pheanus and ferb you alrady have an idea like ok this is basically like an ed edd and eddy. The new tmnt, the new power ranger etc, you already know have a general idea whats going to happen who are the characters the plots, the story lines the end results of every episode. The high technology is what keeps you in the seats. Now if i was like 20 something or so maybe cause it would be fresh and new to me.

But now if i see a new tmnt, its not like imma be shocked and wowed like i wonder what this is gonna be about. I already have an general idea of the story plot the entire movie. Im just sitting there for the cgi and matrix type add ons. Its not like imma be like wow this is all new to me these guys eat pizza and ice cream.

With music its slightly different. First kanye single i heard, i had now idea what his cd was gonna sound like. Same thing with like cee lo green. I had goodie mob soul food etc. And from listening to that, And comparing it to like his latest f you. The sound the style is totally different. The concept style album of lets say jay z sounds nothing like roscoe dash. Hell even if you want to use same artist busta of fu snickens sounds nothing like busta of elements or busta of today. Whole style idea concept is totally different.

But ateam of today is the same ateam of the 80's. Same characters, same ideas, same general concepts, story lines etc. Same with a vast majority of movies tv of today. Your right about the dramas, but even those are copying remaking of each other just placing them in different settings. CSI Miami la etc ny the idea storyline so forth and so on are basically the same just placing them in different enviroments. Its going to get to a point where tv is gonna be majority reality tv with like 5 different ideas with 50 different versions of each of the ideas ie, talent shows, ppl life shows, dating, judges,cooking, jobs/work. A few comedies here and there, and 50 or so different hospital/cop/gangster/hood drama shows all based on the same ideas concepts etc. 

Back
Top Bottom