Open run at your gym. What are your in-house rules?

T-Boone Pickens YMCA lunch/mid-day rules. They play shirts and skins.  Far play rules during the week.
Can't win more than 3 straight games. After the 3rd win both teams come off the court.
First 10 to show up play no exceptions
No captains you match up with someone equal to you (my favorite rule) You should the dudes faces when you tell them they have to match up.
next five waiting play no exceptions
The only way you can loose and play again is if there are less than five waiting, and you have to shoot for it with anyone else who wants to play again

i would be one and done at your gym. those rules are terrible.

you mean to tell me, you can only win 3 games in a row?
hell nah

and how the hell can you tell me who to guard, your not on my team. :lol:

right?! that's crazy. 3 wins is it? nonsense. match up with someone equal? i'll match with whomever i want. and what does equal mean? size? skill? ****rts and skins? but some dudes be hella sweaty doh. along came polly face action.

Seems like the points needed to win are about the same, but I have to ask the question: How many of people have played in the first game when the gym is packed that goes about 45 minutes. Especially if both teams have game point and EVERY call is made on EVERY shot. Those games make you want a running clock, but that has it's issues as well....

-Only things I hate about those games is that if a team that is put together well loses, they usually leave and because they don't want to wait and it takes some of the air of the gym....

Last edited:
How do you guys decide who gets ball at the start of game?

1st to hit a 3?
do or die 3 to get it over with quick

or if we shot for teams, the team that made the shots gets ball first

but if there's already a team on the court then the new team gets to start

Last edited:
Seems like the points needed to win are about the same, but I have to ask the question: How many of people have played in the first game when the gym is packed that goes about 45 minutes. Especially if both teams have game point and EVERY call is made on EVERY shot. Those games make you want a running clock, but that has it's issues as well....

-Only things I hate about those games is that if a team that is put together well loses, they usually leave and because they don't want to wait and it takes some of the air of the gym....

yea. typically first game is to 15. then each after is to 11. some games go super long. especially on that last play. so many foul calls. we used to have a clock and games would be set to 15 minutes i think. and whomever was up at the end won. that became bothersome though. now games just play out.

i love linking up with a great team and going on dynasty runs.

Basically when ten people show up, The teams are divided equally. For example, one day 4 guys should up together (3 d-1 and 1 d-league) and they were part of the first ten. They had to be on different teams 2 on one team and 2 on the other. Basically everyone divides/matches up with someone similar to thier talent level, so the teams are fairly equally match up wise. This is the YMCA so they are more concerned about everybody getting a chance to play.

I once was up there and they were playing one dribble full court. It was pretty cool, everybody has to be paying attention and one player can't dominate the ball. All you get is one dribble then you have to pass or shoot. I think they were doing it because the there were young kids (11-13) and old guys who really hoop playing together. Has anyone ever heard of that?

that's a good drill for teams, its not how I want to play in a pickup game :stoneface:

Points 1-10 all final and games
Final point, every touch is a foul, losers must catch feels, must argue over calls for 5-10mins, friendships must be broken, someone must call someone else "soft".

Game is over, everything back to normal.

Feel free to add haha...

If you get dunked on you must leave. After said dunk the game will go into a brief recess. Cool people must carry on conversation with people not playing on the sidelines to show everyone "hey, I not rely trying".

if you call 3 seconds, might as well find a new place to ball....you  will get you laughed outta the gym and no one will ever pick  you up again.   dude was actually nick named "3 seconds" at one of the parks we used to ball at.

yo here comes 3 seconds
laugh.gif

first game is to 11 like the other games but the two teams will get to around 6-8 points and lose count 3-4 times before actually playing seriously to 11

(the gym is never full during the first game)

Back
Top Bottom