Outkast or Run DMC?

Who is bigger?

• Outkast

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Run DMC

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Doesn't add anything to ya'll debate, but 'Kast did just headline about 40 festivals last year...just saying. Their music is still defiantly still being pumped heavy i would say.

I don't think those 2 things are the same.

Just because a group does what amounts to a "reunion tour" doesn't mean their music is actively being pumped heavily.

In fact, there was a running joke as those shows were happening that a lot of the crowds at those shows didn't even know Outkast like that.

Point is, there's a lot of nostalgia for both artists at this point.

I would venture to say that if Run-DMC decided to tour they would do just fine getting headline slots on big festivals.

Run-DMC by light years.

Exactly who is Outkast more influential to exactly?

Rap never even makes it to the south without Run-DMC influence on hip hop and music in general.

It was only like 3 groups back with Run DMC...ans if they came any later they wouldn't have made it. 

Lucky for them they came at the right moment. 
:rofl: Look at you and your hypothetical statements based on NOTHING

LOOK AT YOUR FACE B

:smh:
I am saying! Can't tell my man anything though. :lol:

Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik, Atliens, Aquemini, Stankonia, SB/Love Below not classic albums? :rolleyes
I don't consider Speakerboxx a classic at all. Love below aint rap or even a hip hop album either.

While I love Stankonia seems to me dudes are just pushing that classic status now. Nobody was saying that back in these forums when I was raving about it.
I think if you replaced Outkast with NWA in terms of the group who was most influential to rap in comparion to Run DMC that would be a good debate. I think some are just focusing on the music, and some are looking at the impact on the genre as a whole.
Now there's a good argument.

NWA didn't just open up things for the west. They changed hip hop on a level you can argue that Run-DMC did as well if not bigger.

Last edited:
Run-DMC by light years.

Rap never even makes it to the south without Run-DMC influence on hip hop and music in general.

Lol, where do you think the soul and content of hip hop is derived from??? It's all the way southern. Northerners kill me, with that mantra that hip hop would never reach the bottom states. Every smidgen of hip hop is traced to southern heritage. Nas' father is from Missisippi, case in point. All the North ever did was expose the music to big wigs at record labels. Stankonia is a classic, off the strength of songs like "Red Velvet" "Spaghetti Junction" "So Fresh/So Clean" "BOB" & "Miss Jackson". SB/Love Below was a perfect juxtaposition of both artist. Cuts like "Church" "Bowtie" "Flip Flop Rock" etc.

Without the Love Below half, there's no 808s and Heartbreaks-So Far Gone-Man on the Moon-type albums. Some of you dudes are feasting on saltine crackers and are in denial

Last edited:
I've actually had that NWA debate. I think that would be a better conversation, because NWA brought a lot of bad to go with the good influences.

I think this discussion can only be seriously had with Tupac and NWA.

Lol, where do you think the soul and content of hip hop is derived from??? It's all the way southern. Northerners kill me, with that mantra that hip hop would never reach the bottom states. Every smidgen of hip hop is traced to southern heritage. Nas' father is from Missisippi, case in point. All the North ever did was expose the music to big wigs at record labels. Stankonia is a classic, off the strength of songs like "Red Velvet" "Spaghetti Junction" "So Fresh/So Clean" "BOB" & "Miss Jackson". SB/Love Below was a perfect juxtaposition of both artist. Cuts like "Church" "Bowtie" "Flip Flop Rock" etc.

Without the Love Below half, there's no 808s and Heartbreaks-So Far Gone-Man on the Moon-type albums. Some of you dudes are feasting on saltine crackers and are in denial

View media item 1436647
Some of you try so hard to erase New York from raps history and significance, it makes me wonder if you're that naive, insecure or ignorant.

Last edited:
Run-DMC by light years.

This is exactly what I meant when I said Andre had sons running around right now.

And I love Stankonia and all respect for acknowledging the genius that is "Red Velvet". "Slum Beautiful" is another gem. "Toilet Tisha" leading into it.

And I respect the South and their contribution to Hip-Hop. Luke as an independent mogul etc.

You whylin' with a lot of that other **** though.

Last edited:
Run-DMC by light years.

Lol, where do you think the soul and content of hip hop is derived from???
Not from Outkast.

Maybe we got a different definition of what soul and content means though. You're not telling me hip hop lacked soul and content until Outkast's first album :lol: :smh:

808s is trash to me. I'd argue it's not even hip hop. Don't compare Andre's singing talent to Kanye using that voice modulator ****. I don't even want to hear that Dre inspired trash like that.

Last edited:
Lol, where do you think the soul and content of hip hop is derived from??? It's all the way southern. Northerners kill me, with that mantra that hip hop would never reach the bottom states. Every smidgen of hip hop is traced to southern heritage. Nas' father is from Missisippi, case in point. All the North ever did was expose the music to big wigs at record labels.l
This is hands down the stupidest **** I have ever read about Hip Hop in my life. You should be banned just on principle.

My son actually tried to say if it wasn't for the South hip hop wouldn't have started in NYC cuz all we did was expose it to "big wigs" of all the ******ed insulting things to say.

Like son don't get I'm not talking about the elements of music and roots that was in the South. I aint talking about the Blues. I aint talking about the elements that led to R&B. I'm strictly talking about rap and hip hop. That started in New York. I'm saying yall ****** would've never put words together in a rhythmic form over dope beats without US; NYC. To say otherwise is ignorant.

Disgusting :x :smh:

Last edited:
I think what he was trying to say is that the origins of the styles comes from

slave hymns and jazz which has it's roots in the south.  That is true

though I don't agree with that sentiment as a means to discredit the east coasts creation of what is known as hip hop today

Last edited:
I always thought Muhammad Ali invented "rap"
Ali Rap:

also he was born in kentucky

The actual art form of rhyming/rapping has southern roots as far as breakdancing/graffiti monetizing etc that comes from the Bronx .

Last edited:
James Brown use too rap as well (he is from South Carolina btw) As did Curtis Mayfield and Gil Scott Heron (For those NY'ers who think they discover everything, I threw in one of their own to hush them up) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Run DMC are clearly thee more influential group. They changed Hip Hop period. They paved the way for so many Hip Hop artists, but.....

....Outkast are far more superior in damn near every way.

Back
Top Bottom