Philip Seymour Hoffman found dead in Manhattan apartment

:wow: at heroin use in NoVa. Them rich kids going in. **** was just on the news.

Philip Seymour Hoffman was on a heroin binge 6 weeks before he died, and told friends he feared he was destined to fatally OD ... TMZ has learned.

Sources Hoffman confided in tell us ... back in December Hoffman told them he had started injecting himself with heroin and couldn't kick it.  Hoffman said he would kick it for a few days and then fall off the wagon.

We're told he went back to AA in a desperate attempt to clean up ... but much to his great frustration it didn't work.

During the last 6 weeks he often look disheveled and dirty.  At one point someone asked him how bad his problem was, and he responded, "If I don't stop I know I'm gonna die."

We're told Hoffman was also drinking excessively ... which opened the door to many bad decisions when it came to heroin use.

Ironically and sadly, we're told Hoffman went to AA meetings over the last 4 years and was considered a "guru," because he had been sober for so long.  Hoffman would give inspirational talks to people who attended.

Was it too pure or did Philip just OD? What is the usually purity for heroin on the street?

I just read about the richer parts of the DMV going heavy on this stuff. Bethesda too. It's all around here.

real talk, I just had a friend who's gone from the regular pot smoker to like exclusively cocaine.....should I be legitimately concerned?

doesn't seem like the type to go beyond that, but I never thought he'd go beyond weed to begin with....

I just read about the richer parts of the DMV going heavy on this stuff. Bethesda too. It's all around here.
You will be suprised how many ppl from the DMV area, PA, and Delaware be right in the middle of the hood here in Baltimore grabbing some dope...be seeing all them different lisence plates, that **** aint no joke :smh:

real talk, I just had a friend who's gone from the regular pot smoker to like exclusively cocaine.....should I be legitimately concerned?

doesn't seem like the type to go beyond that, but I never thought he'd go beyond weed to begin with....
Always better to be concerned early than its too late, going from weed to harder drugs can be extremely quick and easy for some ppl..

Last edited:
[B]The greatest character actor of our generation. [/B] My condolences to his family. Sucks we'll never get to see the true "Ezekiel Moss" and he was only able to shoot the pilot episode of "Happyish".

And to everyone saying they didn't know he had so many fans... Don't be dumb.

RIP to Hoffman but this the **** I hate.

A guy dies and suddenly his stock goes up to ridiculous levels.

Before today NOBODY has ever uttered "Phillip Seymour Hoffman, the greatest actor of our generation".

Leonardo DiCaprio, Denzel, Daniel Day, Tom Hanks.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman?

:stoneface:

Be real.

Last edited:
Agreed, it's a bit of a hyperbole. Same with Paul Walker, and Walker's resume can't even come close to Hoffman.

[B]The greatest character actor of our generation. [/B] My condolences to his family. Sucks we'll never get to see the true "Ezekiel Moss" and he was only able to shoot the pilot episode of "Happyish".

And to everyone saying they didn't know he had so many fans... Don't be dumb.

Before today NOBODY has ever uttered "Phillip Seymour Hoffman, the greatest actor of our generation".

Phillip Seymour Hoffman?

Be real.

People BEEN saying PSH was the best character actor of our generation, though.

I think you skipped over the word "character".

Phillip Seymour Hoffman?

Be real.

qft

"Youre nobody, 'til somebody, kills you"

People BEEN saying PSH was the best character actor of our generation, though.

I think you skipped over the word "character".

No, just no.

Never have I heard anyone say he was the greatest of our generation before today.

We can bring up old NT threads to reference if you want, I know we've discussed best actors before. Guarantee nobody mentioned him.

Lemme know if you wanna fact check.

Last edited:
really? cause I have been hearing that for years.

People were saying PSH, Steve Buscemi, William H Macy, The dude who plays Narcisse and some others.

Maybe I've just been having different conversations about actors these past couple years.

Here's some old NT threads, lets take a look at what NTers think.

http://niketalk.com/t/573538/leonardo-dicaprio-is-the-best-actor-of-our-generation/0_20 Oh look, a Leo thread.

http://niketalk.com/t/341963/the-best-acting-performances-ever/0_20 A thread talking about greatest acting performances, oh look, no PSH.

Maybe he was underrated and NTers agreed.

http://niketalk.com/t/558635/top-five-under-appreciated-actors/20_20

One mention, by OP of that thread. One........

But certainly nobody touting him as the BEST ACTOR OF HIS GENERATION.

NT man. :smh: I can agree he was underrated, under-appreciated but now cats want to throw his name in the GOAT (greatest of our time) bucket postmortem.

Last edited:
You know what? Im gonna search old threads just to see if anyone ever mentioned PSH as the best. That'll show you guys.

:rolleyes

ya'll realizing that he was catagorized as a CHARACTER actor right?

There's a huge difference between being the best actor of a generation and the best CHARACTER actor of a generation.

Ya'll over here tryna make a mountain out of a molehill.

Philip Seymour Hoffman has definitley been in that conversation of the best character actors of our time.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman?

Be real.

he said character actor **** face. and it's been said outside of NT often.

hell, Roger Ebert wanted PSH to play him in a movie. So I think if Robert ******

Ebert wants you to act as him we can agree on your skills as a character actor.

hell, Roger Ebert wanted PSH to play him in a movie. So I think if Robert ******

firstly,

:lol: @ **** face. that legit caught lulz, good one.

secondly even amongst character actors I wouldn't put him amongst the best.

guys like Buscemi, Walken, Turturro, and Cranston all are more highly acclaimed than Hoffman. I never heard anyone putting him in the same tier as those guys.

And this isn't me throwing shade on PSH. I'm just tired of people putting these actors and musicians in categories they weren't in before they died.

Last edited:

firstly,

:lol: @ **** face. that legit caught lulz, good one.

guys like Buscemi, Walken, Turturro, and Cranston all are more highly acclaimed than Hoffman. I never heard anyone putting him in the same tier as those guys.

You can't be serious. I love Breaking Bad as much as the next guy, but c'mon B

And none of those guys are as ranked as PSH is now. Say DDL or Oldman, but you're insult PSH with that list

Last edited:
You can't be serious. I love breaking bad as much as the next guy, but c'mon B

Point is people put Cranston ahead of PSH.

PSH was indeed underrated but again where were all these people putting him ahead of those guys I named before he passed?

I can agree that he was superior to Cranston (but I'd argue that despite PSH's superior body of work, Cranston's performance in BB was better than any individual piece of work PSH did, even Capote) but I cannot believe this notion that people were this high on Hoffman before today. That's all I'm saying.

Last edited:
You can't be serious. I love Breaking Bad as much as the next guy, but c'mon B

And none of those guys are as ranked as PSH is now. Say DDL or Oldman, but you're insult PSH with that list

I mentioned DDL earlier.

But Walken isn't superior?

Seriously?

Christopher Walken?

Steve Buscemi? This dude has been a BEAST with it all his career.

REALLY?

I can see why Turturro might not be better than PCH, I disagree but I can understand. But putting him over Walken and Buscemi........

I'm done.

Last edited:

firstly,

laugh.gif
@ **** face. that legit caught lulz, good one.

And this isn't me throwing shade on PSH. I'm just tired of people putting these actors and musicians in categories they weren't in before they died.
Hold up.  You just seem intent on this "everyone only wants to praise him now that he's dead" thing by bringing up those threads not realizing that while there are a lot of people that truly appreciate PSH as a great actor most, if not all weren't putting him in a category as one of the greatest actors of all time but instead as a character actor.  

A new movie is released with an exceptional portrayal of an eccentric character, one where the actor has to pour himself into that role or he gets nominated for that role or he gets arrested...or he dies, anything that brings that actors name into the news and that discussion will be made.  Sure, there is some hyperbole there as the greatest but that's also subjective.  

For a lot of people, PSH wasn't a marquee name.  He's not DiCaprio, Cooper, McConaghey, Bale or any typical Hollywood leading man, the face of endorsements and such but if you've seen a lot of his work you can truly appreciate that he was great and I don't know how many it is okay to have on a list of the best but there's absolutely no doubt he'd be up there as a character actor.

Those threads you pulled up are borderline offensive. Leo is the best actor our generation? Heath as Joker is the best acting performance ever? I'm pretty sure you can also pull up a thread on how Paid in Full is one of the best movies ever too. NT opinions :lol:

You can't be serious. I love breaking bad as much as the next guy, but c'mon B

Point is people put Cranston ahead of PSH.

PSH was indeed underrated but again where were all these people putting him ahead of those guys I named before he passed?

I can agree that he was superior to Cranston (but I'd argue that despite PSH's superior body of work, Cranston's performance in BB was better than any individual piece of work PSH did, even Capote) but I cannot believe this notion that people were this high on Hoffman before today. That's all I'm saying.

YOU not people but Cranston ahead of PSH.

Cranston performance on BB was amazing but is literally the only major thing on homeboy's resume

If Cranston died tomorrow, all people should be talking about is BB and maybe Malcolm in the Middle. Sites have been running articles tittled "PSH top 10 roles" "PSH top 15 movies" "PSH top 12 movies"

Cranston is in the same class and James Gandolfini not PSH

Last edited:

Hold up.  You just seem intent on this "everyone only wants to praise him now that he's dead" thing by bringing up those threads not realizing that while there are a lot of people that truly appreciate PSH as a great actor most, if not all weren't putting him in a category as one of the greatest actors of all time but instead as a character actor.  

A new movie is released with an exceptional portrayal of an eccentric character, one where the actor has to pour himself into that role or he gets nominated for that role or he gets arrested...or he dies, anything that brings that actors name into the news and that discussion will be made.  Sure, there is some hyperbole there as the greatest but that's also subjective.  

For a lot of people, PSH wasn't a marquee name.  He's not DiCaprio, Cooper, McConaghey, Bale or any typical Hollywood leading man, the face of endorsements and such but if you've seen a lot of his work you can truly appreciate that he was great and I don't know how many it is okay to have on a list of the best but there's absolutely no doubt he'd be up there as a character actor.

We're addressing the character debate, please read the whole thread before jumping on a singular post.

The fact that you blatantly missed the key "character actor" part and ranted based off that mistake says a lot.

Hoffman is an Oscar-winning, highly praised and respected actor. This isn't some random nobody and everyone is praising him as great, it's not that ridiculous if people are praising him a lot right now.

I never get those people who come out after someone dies and says "Psh.. no one cared before he died" or "Where were all of you before?" It's such a lame thing to do most of the time. Death can cause people to realize or recognize things that they might not have thought about before.. in this case, people are remembering how great PSH was.

Back
Top Bottom