PLAYSTATION NETWORK CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT.. is it this serious? I guess so... UPDATED PG 1

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

I mean my credit card information is out now thanks to their weak security. And who cares if its free. We all paid for our ps3 and psn is included. So technically it isn't free.

If a bank had a bunch of customers with free checking get hacked better believe there would be a lawsuit.
prove it
[h1]More Than 12,700 Credit Cards Stolen from Sony Online Entertainment[/h1]
medium_soffe.jpg
Sony's security problems continue to mount, as the intrusion that brought down Sony Online Entertainment this morning is linked to the theft of more than ten thousand customer credit card numbers.

According to Japanese news site Nikkei.com, Sony became aware of this latest cyber attack on Sunday, which lead to the shutting down of all of SOE's online gaming operations early Monday morning. Attempting to visit the home pages for popular games like Free Realms, DC Universe Online, and massively-multiplayer online role-playing game granddaddy EverQuest continues to result in the following down for maintenance message:
We have had to take the SOE service down temporarily. In the course of our investigation into the intrusion into our systems we have discovered an issue that warrants enough concern for us to take the service down effective immediately. We will provide an update later today (Monday).

Hopefully that update will shed more light on the stolen card numbers, allowing players of those games to take appropriate action in a timely fashion.

Kotaku has contacted Sony Online Entertainment and awaits further word on the credit card issue. The company did tell us that this was not a separate attack, and that service going down was "related to the ongoing investigation of the external intrusion that occurred in April."

They are of course referring to the large-scale cyber attack that has had the PlayStation Network down since late last month and compromised the personal information of millions of Sony customers.

I mean my credit card information is out now thanks to their weak security. And who cares if its free. We all paid for our ps3 and psn is included. So technically it isn't free.

If a bank had a bunch of customers with free checking get hacked better believe there would be a lawsuit.
prove it
medium_soffe.jpg
Sony's security problems continue to mount, as the intrusion that brought down Sony Online Entertainment this morning is linked to the theft of more than ten thousand customer credit card numbers.

According to Japanese news site Nikkei.com, Sony became aware of this latest cyber attack on Sunday, which lead to the shutting down of all of SOE's online gaming operations early Monday morning. Attempting to visit the home pages for popular games like Free Realms, DC Universe Online, and massively-multiplayer online role-playing game granddaddy EverQuest continues to result in the following down for maintenance message:
We have had to take the SOE service down temporarily. In the course of our investigation into the intrusion into our systems we have discovered an issue that warrants enough concern for us to take the service down effective immediately. We will provide an update later today (Monday).

Hopefully that update will shed more light on the stolen card numbers, allowing players of those games to take appropriate action in a timely fashion.

Kotaku has contacted Sony Online Entertainment and awaits further word on the credit card issue. The company did tell us that this was not a separate attack, and that service going down was "related to the ongoing investigation of the external intrusion that occurred in April."

They are of course referring to the large-scale cyber attack that has had the PlayStation Network down since late last month and compromised the personal information of millions of Sony customers.

Originally Posted by jae oh en

prove it
medium_soffe.jpg

see that SOE logo?  that doesnt look like a PSN logo, that looks like it says SOE, a completely different company that operates separate of PSN

so unless you had your card information (from 2007 i might add) in SOEs database, then there isnt too much to worry about

prove it
medium_soffe.jpg

see that SOE logo?  that doesnt look like a PSN logo, that looks like it says SOE, a completely different company that operates separate of PSN

so unless you had your card information (from 2007 i might add) in SOEs database, then there isnt too much to worry about

^but you asked for proof that CC info was compromised as a result of the attack. and as of right now, no matter how you try to spin it, there's at least 12,700 CC numbers out there because of it.

but you can continue to downplay it (for what reason? i don't know). if whoever got my info wanted to ruin my life, they could with the info they got from sony. i made sure the cards tied to my PSN were cancelled and i took all the CC's off my xbox live account too. better to be safe than sorry.

only thing sony owes me is peace of mind. but if this class action suit gains some traction, please believe i'm getting my cut.
pimp.gif

^but you asked for proof that CC info was compromised as a result of the attack. and as of right now, no matter how you try to spin it, there's at least 12,700 CC numbers out there because of it.

but you can continue to downplay it (for what reason? i don't know). if whoever got my info wanted to ruin my life, they could with the info they got from sony. i made sure the cards tied to my PSN were cancelled and i took all the CC's off my xbox live account too. better to be safe than sorry.

only thing sony owes me is peace of mind. but if this class action suit gains some traction, please believe i'm getting my cut.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by 703 Hwy

Why do people trip off credit card info?! Just call the bank and tell them you ain't make the charge. They'll credit you back and send a new card. Or you can request a new card now. And there's always a chance unless you use straight cash for everything.
easier said than done holmes. 
you've never had your CC info taken.. you know how much of a B it is to actually do all that? 
laugh.gif

Why do people trip off credit card info?! Just call the bank and tell them you ain't make the charge. They'll credit you back and send a new card. Or you can request a new card now. And there's always a chance unless you use straight cash for everything.
you've never had your CC info taken.. you know how much of a B it is to actually do all that? 
laugh.gif

pimp.gif

thats a separate attack on a different company whose database (from 2007) may have been stored differently, those 2007 cards may not have been stored separately or encrypted, there is evidence of that 2007 SOE database being breached, no evidence of PSN's cards being breached

everone here is talking about PSN who's cards were stored in a different database from all other personal info and encrypted, ill say it again, two separate companies, evidence of one is not evidence of the other

that first post of mine was asking for proof of stolen PSN info and youre providing evidence of stolen SOE info, that has nothing to do with what im asking for

pimp.gif

thats a separate attack on a different company whose database (from 2007) may have been stored differently, those 2007 cards may not have been stored separately or encrypted, there is evidence of that 2007 SOE database being breached, no evidence of PSN's cards being breached

everone here is talking about PSN who's cards were stored in a different database from all other personal info and encrypted, ill say it again, two separate companies, evidence of one is not evidence of the other

that first post of mine was asking for proof of stolen PSN info and youre providing evidence of stolen SOE info, that has nothing to do with what im asking for

TheHealthInspector - cool. again, spin it however you want, but it's FACT that CC info was taken due to the attack on sony. adding to that, sony STILL can't confirm whether or not CC info on PSN was taken. psn users' identities and finances are at risk, but you got on someone up there basically saying that he's not entitled to get up in arms over this. i'm just saying if someone feels like they're justified in getting something back from sony from this, i can't argue that.

i posted proof that 12,700 people are confirmed to have had their CC info stolen because of the attack. can you post proof that the millions of CC's on PSN WEREN'T compromised? the intentions of my post was to show that this entire situation isn't as "don't worry about it" as you're making it out to be. i'm really not trying to argue over the differences between sony divisions because i honestly don't care
laugh.gif
. folks have a right to be concerned, especially with the way sony has handled it so far. and if you haven't taken the steps to protect yourself (even though sony themselves said to do so), more power to you and good luck.

and sidenote - when you get a credit card reissued after it expires, the new one more often than not has the exact same number. so even if it was limited to just 2007 data, a lot of those #'s are probably still active today. just thought i'd mention that just in case you were repeating "from 2007" in your posts to suggest that CC #s from 2007 are completely irrelevant.

TheHealthInspector - cool. again, spin it however you want, but it's FACT that CC info was taken due to the attack on sony. adding to that, sony STILL can't confirm whether or not CC info on PSN was taken. psn users' identities and finances are at risk, but you got on someone up there basically saying that he's not entitled to get up in arms over this. i'm just saying if someone feels like they're justified in getting something back from sony from this, i can't argue that.

i posted proof that 12,700 people are confirmed to have had their CC info stolen because of the attack. can you post proof that the millions of CC's on PSN WEREN'T compromised? the intentions of my post was to show that this entire situation isn't as "don't worry about it" as you're making it out to be. i'm really not trying to argue over the differences between sony divisions because i honestly don't care
laugh.gif
. folks have a right to be concerned, especially with the way sony has handled it so far. and if you haven't taken the steps to protect yourself (even though sony themselves said to do so), more power to you and good luck.

and sidenote - when you get a credit card reissued after it expires, the new one more often than not has the exact same number. so even if it was limited to just 2007 data, a lot of those #'s are probably still active today. just thought i'd mention that just in case you were repeating "from 2007" in your posts to suggest that CC #s from 2007 are completely irrelevant.

Originally Posted by proper english

laugh.gif

I know because I've gone thru it a few times. Someone stole my cards and used them. I called USAA and had them cancelled and had my account credited back. Only hassle is waiting for new cards.

Originally Posted by proper english

laugh.gif

I know because I've gone thru it a few times. Someone stole my cards and used them. I called USAA and had them cancelled and had my account credited back. Only hassle is waiting for new cards.

http://www.ps3hax.net/201...e-attacks-an-inside-job/
Here's the opening paragraph
[font=Arial, Verdana, 'Times New Roman', sans-serif]
[/font]
[font=Arial, Verdana, 'Times New Roman', sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Arial, Verdana, 'Times New Roman', sans-serif]According to online reports, Sony had fired ~200 employees from SOE a few days before the PSN massive attack which led to the compromise of user personal information. A 2 week notice was handed out on March 31st, 2011 which gave whomever enough time to think, plan and act on the PSN attack – and would have all the clearance to easily to do it . Whats even worse is that if it DID turn out to be a inside job then the ex-employee could potentially have the tools to un-hash the stolen passwords and possibly even have the tools/resources to decrypt the important information such as your credit card numbers.

Read more: http://www.ps3hax.net/#ixzz1LJWg4w9D
[/font]

Back
Top Bottom