Please Don't Call Me African-American....Im BLACK

Originally Posted by 18th letter

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

My folks are from the Carribean so its kinda hard for me to even begin this convo. :/

No for me it isnt. Don't call me an african american. That simple.
This! I am not African-American, and neither are my parents or their parents or their parents or their parents, so do not refer to me as that.

Originally Posted by 18th letter

Originally Posted by OptimusPrimeAPhiA

My folks are from the Carribean so its kinda hard for me to even begin this convo. :/

No for me it isnt. Don't call me an african american. That simple.
This! I am not African-American, and neither are my parents or their parents or their parents or their parents, so do not refer to me as that.

Originally Posted by THE FAME

"African" is your descent and "American" is your nationality.
Not that hard fam.

But if your rather be called "BLACK" then so be it.
"Darkey" wouldn't be so bad either under that qualification.
yah so be it BLACK....
but no, James Brown never made a song called "Say It Loud, im Darkey and Im PROUD" c'mon son....earn a brain.

Negro=Spanish for black, and they didnt mean any racial connotation by saying "negro".... 

I prefer black cause thats what I Identify with, not "n-word" or anything else...I call every race a "n-word"  I consider myself Black, if you don't, more power to you...

I just call them African Americans for respect, why call them black though?
nerd.gif
They're brown

I just call them African Americans for respect, why call them black though?
nerd.gif
They're brown

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Ironic, how African Americans complain about their culture and roots being stripped from them....yet insist on taking measures like this to erase all traces of their origins.

hit the nail on the !++%%%% head

That's your reasoning?

James Brown?
laugh.gif

Alright fam.

Peace brother, hit me up when you come around.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Ironic, how African Americans complain about their culture and roots being stripped from them....yet insist on taking measures like this to erase all traces of their origins.

hit the nail on the !++%%%% head

That's your reasoning?

James Brown?
laugh.gif

Alright fam.

Peace brother, hit me up when you come around.

What about those who are from light-skinned African countries (Egypt, Algeria, Libya etc), should they put African-American?

What about those who are from light-skinned African countries (Egypt, Algeria, Libya etc), should they put African-American?

Are Whites called European-American? No they are not ... they're called AMERICAN. That's it.

That's the problem I have with it.

Are Whites called European-American? No they are not ... they're called AMERICAN. That's it.

That's the problem I have with it.

I would prefer black too, though I don't care. It's just a matter of accuracy, as well as consistency since rarely do they get called European American. Nobody in my family has been in Africa for almost 3 centuries. At what point do you remove the hyphen and become "from" here?

I would prefer black too, though I don't care. It's just a matter of accuracy, as well as consistency since rarely do they get called European American. Nobody in my family has been in Africa for almost 3 centuries. At what point do you remove the hyphen and become "from" here?

this is a strange topic..

my ancestors are african.

they were taken to the caribbean islands, where I assume a slave master named "Waterman" raped one of my great-great...grandmothers

my grandmother migrated to the U.S, and i was born here

this makes me an african american..i think "black" is an insult because my skin is brown, and it's a complete misrepresentation

this is a strange topic..

my ancestors are african.

they were taken to the caribbean islands, where I assume a slave master named "Waterman" raped one of my great-great...grandmothers

my grandmother migrated to the U.S, and i was born here

this makes me an african american..i think "black" is an insult because my skin is brown, and it's a complete misrepresentation

Originally Posted by MetallicNitro

Um like myself, I know exactly what part of Africa I'm from....I honestly don't care what people call me. But I'd prefer Ibo/ Nigerian American. Egyptians are Egyptian Americans....so on and so forth.

Some of my Egyptian friends actually call themselves African American for lulz.

Black is an all-inclusive term for "dark-skinned" people of the African diaspora. It isn't specific....I guess some African Americans want to be referred to as Black Americans.

Originally Posted by MetallicNitro

Um like myself, I know exactly what part of Africa I'm from....I honestly don't care what people call me. But I'd prefer Ibo/ Nigerian American. Egyptians are Egyptian Americans....so on and so forth.

Some of my Egyptian friends actually call themselves African American for lulz.

Black is an all-inclusive term for "dark-skinned" people of the African diaspora. It isn't specific....I guess some African Americans want to be referred to as Black Americans.

Back
Top Bottom