Please lock.

Boxing skills & heart trumps occasional power punches. Not surprised

Last edited:
Get ready for Pacquiao/Marquez V.
laugh.gif

Eh, not disappointed, I'd like to see Algieri fight Matthysse next.

Last edited:
I wanted marquez and provodnikov next, this is disappointing

I think it can still happen. Provodnikov definitely gained more fans tonight, this fight was just a bad style for him. This lost shouldn't be held against him, just move on to a better fight

Man, dope call by the judges tonight. Provodnikof has to be pissed. They keep picking his fights to make the "against the grain" calls/decisions. Algieiri got a blessing from the boxing gods no doubt! He's fun to watch yall'

WOAH!!!!!!!!!!! Great upset clearly outboxed him but Provodnikov definitely affected him more with his punches

Provodnikov didn't really do enough BIG BIG punches after round 1 though. Roach told him he needed a knock out, he wasn't playing

Eh, not disappointed, I'd like to see Algieri fight Matthysse next.

Damn you ready to throw this kid to the wolves already. He shouldn't fight 2 big punchers in a row imo. Fight a more slick boxer to let that eye heal like Malignaggi, or even Bradley (if Bradley is interested in the title) .

Great fight and comback for Algieri. He showed great heart to stay in there given the circumstances. This fight reminded me of the first Pac-Marquez fight. Personally though, I had it 114-112 for Provodnikov. I thought he landed the much harder shots, but I won't disagree with the result. Ruslan was getting out boxed throughout.

Here's my scorecard:

R1: 10-7 Ruslan

R2: 10-9 Algieri

R3: 10-9 Algieri

R4: 10-9 Ruslan

R5: 10-9 Algieri

R6: 10-9 Ruslan

R7:10-9 Ruslan

R8: 10-9 Ruslan

R9: 10-9 Algieri

R10: 10-9 Algieri

R11:10-9 Algieri

R12: 10-9 Ruslan

I had it 115-113 for Siberian Rocky. Algieri followed in Bradley and Herrera's footsteps further establishing the boxing gameplan, a winning strategy to defeat Provodnikov.

Roach was right, it's too close. You needed a knockout. Abandoned consistent body work for lunging, wild left hooks.

You could tell Algieiri really believed he could win purely on Health/Conditioning/Stamina. He never stopped not only moving, but throwing punches and moving. He's got a chin, and his energy was as high in round 12 as round 1. His Supreme confidence in his ability to outwork his opponent showed, and he deserved the win, I don't want to see any score cards favoring Providnikov, just because we've grown used to the judges making bad calls, doesn't mean we have to accept it. The right fighter won, straight up

So Freddie Roach isn't the best trainer of all time :lol:

Not even remotely close, hell not even top-10....

1. Angelo Dundee
2. Ray Arcel
3. Nacho Beristain
4. Eddie Futch
5. Cus D'Amato
6. Lou Duva
7. Emanuel Steward
8. Whitney Bimstein
9. Amilcar Brusa
10. Charley Goldman

And I'm sure I'm forgetting a few more.

Last edited:
You could tell Algieiri really believed he could win purely on Health/Conditioning/Stamina. He never stopped not only moving, but throwing punches and moving. He's got a chin, and his energy was as high in round 12 as round 1. His Supreme confidence in his ability to outwork his opponent showed, and he deserved the win, I don't want to see any score cards favoring Providnikov, just because we've grown used to the judges making bad calls, doesn't mean we have to accept it. The right fighter won, straight up
When it comes to scoring fights, there's a legitimate debate between higher volume of punches and overall work-rate versus significant damage, harder shots.

When it comes to scoring fights, there's a legitimate debate between higher volume of punches and overall work-rate versus significant damage, harder shots.

I agree. But I guess I missed all these "hard shots" that Providnikov landed. Research the fight with the volume off, without The commentators telling you "Algieiri his doing great but it's not enough because Provodnikov is landing harder shots" and I don't think you'd form the same opinion that Providnikov was landing ALOT of harder shots, because he wasn't landing as many as they were saying he was, he just wasn't man

*rewatch not research

Last edited:
The only part of Algieiris face that was damaged, was the eye, nothing else.

And it was swollen before he could even get up off the canvas.
It just wasn't enough. I bet even the "power punch" punch stats favored Algieri. He was snapping Providnikovs head back in every round, couple times per round, he never received that kind of lunch as often IMO

Back
Top Bottom