Please lock.

It's fight 2 im talking about. Mike showed how easy it was to beat dude by NOT standing and slugging it out. Should be an easy W if he boxes.

Good question Pro, 147 or some 144 bs watch :lol:

That and Arum refused to sanction/promote a fight at 140 for him. Missing weight and costing the dude money.

I don't know. It might be in Alvarado's best interest to try and brawl. We know he has in the past, and that's what's going to pay the bills. Not many people are going to see Alvarado box.

So, it will be at 147. HBO is going to have two nice cards back to back to close out the year on the 13th and 20th.

Mike Alvarado and Brandon Rios have split two epic fights, both scorching thrillers and fight of the year candidates.

In October 2012, Rios stopped Alvarado in the seventh round and Alvarado exacted revenge in March 2013 by winning a decision (and a vacant interim junior welterweight title).

From the moment the second fight ended a third fight was inevitable, and Top Rank and HBO have talked about making it for January. But now it just might -- surprise -- happen on Dec. 20.

That is what HBO and Top Rank are talking about, Top Rank chairman Bob Arum told ESPN.com.

Arum said that HBO set aside "significant money" to put on a Canelo Alvarez fight with Golden Boy Promotions on Dec. 6 in conjunction with Alvarez's recent signing of a long-term deal with the network. But an ankle injury knocked Alvarez off the date and he won't fight until 2015.

"When Canelo said he couldn't go on Dec. 6 that freed up a considerable amount of money which, like most corporations, if they don't spend it this year it goes back to the company and they get a new budget next year," Arum said. "So we are seeing if they can use some of those funds set aside for the Canelo fight for Rios-Alvarado on Dec. 20 and add a show to the schedule for the consumers.

"HBO told us they want the fight but we hadn't discussed it for this year. This came out of the blue after Canelo said he wasn't fighting on Dec. 6."

HBO still plans to do a card with Golden Boy on Dec. 6, but it won't be for nearly the same price tag the show with Alvarez would have cost.

Top Rank president Todd duBoef has been talking to HBO Sports president Ken Hershman about the deal. DuBoef said he has talked to both fighter camps about the prospect of moving up the date of the fight from early 2015 to Dec. 20.

Arum said if Rios-Alvarado III -- which would be at welterweight -- happens on Dec. 20 the likely venue would be the 1st Bank Center in Broomfield, Colorado, just outside of Alvarado's hometown of Denver. Arum said the arena is on hold. Alvarado fought there last October and was stopped in the 10th round and lost his junior welterweight world title to Ruslan Provodnikov.

Alvarado (34-3, 23 KOs), 34, has lost two fights in a row, to Provodnikov and a decision to Juan Manuel Marquez in May. Former lightweight titleholder Rios (32-2-1, 23 KOs), 28, of Oxnard, California, has lost two of his last three bouts, the second fight to Alvarado followed by a lopsided decision loss to Manny Pacquiao last November. Rios bounced back with a ninth-round disqualification win against Diego Chaves on Aug. 2.

In addition to the Rios-Alvarado III talks, Arum said HBO has agreed to buy the vacant middleweight title bout between Matt Korobov and Andy Lee with the fight ticketed to either be part of a Dec. 13 tripleheader topped by Timothy Bradley Jr.-Chaves or on the proposed Rios-Alvarado III undercard on Dec. 20.

"Korobov-Lee is definitely going to be this year," Arum said. "It's just matter of if it will be Dec. 13 or Dec. 20."

Stiverne-Wilder deal getting closer.

The long slog to make the mandatory fight between heavyweight titleholder Bermane Stiverne and Deontay Wilder is inching closer to the finish line.

[+] EnlargeBermane Stiverne
Stephen Dunn/Getty Images
Heavyweight titlist Bermane Stiverne moved one step closer toward seeing his bout with unbeaten Deontay Wilder become a reality.
One of the open issues in making the fight was for Stiverne to come to an agreement with his promoter, Don King, on their side of the deal. On Wednesday, they did, according to Stiverne manager Camille Estephan.

"I made a deal with King that we're very satisfied with financially," Estephan told ESPN.com. "But we are still very anxious to get a date for the fight and a site. I can't speculate about Wilder but I think it's time for him and his team to stop talking and make the fight."

A specific date and venue is key and one of the reasons why Golden Boy promoter Oscar De La Hoya, whose company represents Wilder, said they couldn't sign a contract from King. Even though De La Hoya said they had made a financial deal, the date and site were not set.

Estephan said the biggest thing on the Stiverne side was working out the money.

"Don still doesn't know the site or the date but in our agreement the fight is supposed to be either in December or in the first quarter of next year," he said. "I have made a proposal to Don to bring the fight to Quebec City [Stiverne grew up in Canada]. He likes it but he can't give me a commitment yet.

"But I wanted to get our deal done. We are satisfied. We did what we had to do. We don't want to wait anymore. One of the reasons we're very happy to make a deal for the fight is because this is the fight we want and Bermane wants to make a statement in this fight and increase his market value with a good performance against an undefeated, American Olympic medalist."

A purse bid for the fight has been delayed multiple times as the sides have worked toward and agreement.

^he had to have made that thinking Mayweather was gonna buy it the whole time.

If you're a DC cat, keep an eye out for Lamont Roach, Jr.

Yeah that's the kid that went pro at Hopkins Shumenov, supposed to be nice and he's a full-time engineering student, crazy. Gonna be looking out for him.

FWIW:

Ruben (Houston, TX.)

Dan, do you see "ego" becoming a factor in getting in the way of Canelo vs Cotto at the table? Just hearing both camps proclaiming to be the draw and certain comments has me a little worried.
Dan Rafael, King Fight Freak (12:33 PM)

No. I believe it will get done and, for what it is worth, I spoke to a high level industry person last night who commented to me that he would be shocked if it wasn't made for their next fight. He said he was "99 percent" sure it would get done.

^ Anybody got a prediction on the Donaire vs Walters fight? I think it's close to 50/50 fight, I don't know why people say Donaire will get knocked out, the dude has a chin. I'm thinking it will go the distance because both guys are going to be careful and less likely going to engage a lot.

Last edited:
^ Anybody got a prediction on the Donaire vs Walters fight? I think it's close to 50/50 fight, I don't know why people say Donaire will get knocked out, the dude has a chin. I'm thinking it will go the distance because both guys are going to be careful and less likely going to engage a lot.

Tough call, if someone pointed a gun at my head I'd say Donaire by Decision.

I'm going GGG by mid to late round stoppage. As much as I like Donaire, I'm going with Walters. Read somewhere that had Donaire saying he wasn't hungry anymore but still had the will to fight and win. Attitude like that against a kid who is hungry will get you hurt.

Donaire falling in love with the knockdown again instead of boxing.
Biggest problem of his career.

Back
Top Bottom