Please Lock.

Sad partnos this is how he fights all his fighTs. I wanna know who told him that 1 shot punches when u b dont have a speed or pwer advantage was a good thing to do?

It really looks like broner is surrounded by yes men. Not tryna help him get better. Half the tome he looks scared to lead. And the other half to scared to counter

Been a little dead in here a bit, and I was watching some boxing videos earlier and thought of something.

How do y'all feel about a fighter coasting the last two rounds, dancing around the ring, and not engaging?

Say the dude clearly won first ten rounds in a Championship fight, but coasted the last two, just sticking jabs every once in a while, but running the rest of the round?

And if you don't agree with the use of the tactic, why is it acceptable in Football and Basketball for instance? Why go ahead and give the other team a chance when you have the game/fight in the bag?

Curious on how you guys feel about it. Obviously it's screwed some guys in the past, but you often see a showering of boo's when it's obvious they are running.

^my two cents, I can't stand it. You play to win the game. I hate when football, basketball, etc teams do it. I love seeing a team try and hold off the last minute or two and turn the ball over and lose. Obviously you run the risk of getting caught with one but I measure the heart and courage of the fighter, not how he protects his record or $$ for the next fight. Difference between the business mind and the sport mind.

^Idk who in their right mind would have considered Martinez coasting or dancing in the 12th round. You're absolutely right though, he def could have used his feet more the final 2 minutes. If anything he did more than enough to go out like a warrior. He took some unnecessary shots from Chavez and even fought him on the ropes after that knockdown. Knowing the kid had 20+ pounds on him and was still had power.

Been a little dead in here a bit, and I was watching some boxing videos earlier and thought of something.

How do y'all feel about a fighter coasting the last two rounds, dancing around the ring, and not engaging?

Say the dude clearly won first ten rounds in a Championship fight, but coasted the last two, just sticking jabs every once in a while, but running the rest of the round?

And if you don't agree with the use of the tactic, why is it acceptable in Football and Basketball for instance? Why go ahead and give the other team a chance when you have the game/fight in the bag?

Curious on how you guys feel about it. Obviously it's screwed some guys in the past, but you often see a showering of boo's when it's obvious they are running.

I don't have a problem with it. No reason to take extra punishment and risk when you have the fight in the bag. Knockouts are great but if a guy still looks good after 10 rounds of getting beat and isn't fading no point in risking a late loss. Box and move and get out of there.

I'm all for fighting for the fans but the fans will turn on you if you dominate a fight only to lose in the later rounds. Tim Bradley is a good example. He let Pac fans convince him to brawl in the Ruslan fight only to hang on. He clearly dominated Vargas only to go away from boxing and moving in the last round and almost got beat.

^my two cents, I can't stand it. You play to win the game. I hate when football, basketball, etc teams do it. I love seeing a team try and hold off the last minute or two and turn the ball over and lose. Obviously you run the risk of getting caught with one but I measure the heart and courage of the fighter, not how he protects his record or $$ for the next fight. Difference between the business mind and the sport mind.

But if you "play to win the game", why risk losing it by slugging in the late rounds?

So a fighter doesn't have heart or courage because he dominates a fight in the first 10 rounds but moves and evades in the last 2?

:lol:

I don't have a problem with it. I respect pretty much anyone that gets in a ring.

I'm kind of disgusted when people think these guys should take more punishment than they have to for our amusement.

It's a sport. They aren't fighting to the death.

And we've already seen what this can lead to in their old age.

Last edited:
But if you "play to win the game", why risk losing it by slugging in the late rounds?

So a fighter doesn't have heart or courage because he dominates a fight in the first 10 rounds but moves and evades in the last 2?

:lol:

I don't have a problem with it. I respect pretty much anyone that gets in a ring.

I'm kind of disgusted when people think these guys should take more punishment than they have to for our amusement.

It's a sport. They aren't fighting to the death.

And we've already seen what this can lead to in their old age.

Ricardo Mayorga, Shane Mosley, and Arturo Gatti come to mind in terms of recent fighters who probably took a little bit too much punishment. Mosley maybe it's just all those drugs. :lol:

It's acceptable in basketball and football because you know the scores in those sports and you can determine the outcomes. Winning rounds in boxing isn't a certainty, De La Hoya learned that the hard way.

I don't think knowing the score should matter. If you take your foot of the gas and coast you are taking a chance. Marquez did it in the 3rd fight with pacquiao. I think if you can do it that's cool with me but don't be mad when u lose by a point or two and you coasted through. In the Nfl they usually kill time by running the ball. If the defense can't stop it then why be mad at the offense. If you don't want fighters to coast, make them pay when they do

Bey got comfortable and coasted the last round against Molina and look what happened. Boxers aren't thinking about their health when they are in the ring fighting that moment lol. You should always have that killer mentality, just be smart about it.

Any of you have your kids in boxing? Any concerns of health if they go pro? Or does it not phase you

I have my son Boxing. But he's mad young. So no sparring of any kind.

With the intent that he will go on to be something OTHER than a professional boxer.

But if that's the way it goes, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Last edited:
No problem with coasting, but like many have said it is a risk you take.

Prime example is Tim Bradley taking that shot at the end of his last fight

^Idk who in their right mind would have considered Martinez coasting or dancing in the 12th round. You're absolutely right though, he def could have used his feet more the final 2 minutes. If anything he did more than enough to go out like a warrior. He took some unnecessary shots from Chavez and even fought him on the ropes after that knockdown. Knowing the kid had 20+ pounds on him and was still had power.

He definitely didn't coast. He probably didn't think about it going into the 12th. If I were him after the first knockdown, I would've just moved and protect himself. But hey, it made for a good round.

I have absolutely no problem with someone coasting, but I wouldn't compare it to sitting on the ball in football or basketball simply bc boxing is prizefighting, there is a show and entertainment aspect of the event beyond simply wins and losses. I can understand why a fighter will coast with a lead and if it's a competitive fight with a dangerous opponent, I have no problem with it, but if in general they fight in a way that's not entertaining, and are not willing to engage opponents who are clearly incapable of hurting them, then that does devalue them a little as a fighter (fighter, not boxer) in my eyes.

If someone outboxes GGG for 10 rds and potshots and runs the last 2, I can totally understand the thinking, it's a competitive fight and they are executing what is the most optimal strategy for them to compete at their best and win. But if someone like Danny Garcia won 7 rds vs someone like Rod Salka and ran for 5, then you have to question what type of character he has, bc it's not a competitive or dangerous opponent, and part of why he's in the ring that night should be to entertain. I think Wlad rightfully gets criticized for this bc he's been in there w/ guys nowhere near his size or level (his MSG fight like 5-6 years ago was painful) and was unwilling to pull the trigger.

I know it could be seen as an unfair double standard, but I think what it comes down to is performing at your highest level. Sometimes running or coasting the last 3 or so rounds is actually the most competitive thing certain fighters can do if they face a dangerous opponent or are outmatched, and I get that. And on the contrary, someone who's willing to put himself at risk with a lead to make a better show should receive credit for doing so

K2 Promotions managing director Tom Loeffler, who promotes middleweight titlist Gennady Golovkin, continues to look for a major fight for GGG, the most feared fighter in boxing and its most destructive knockout artist this side of light heavyweight titleholder Sergey Kovalev.

Loeffler and Golovkin (33-0, 30 KOs) have made it clear they are interested in fights with any big name from junior middleweight to super middleweight, including opponents such as middleweight champion Miguel Cotto, Mexican star Canelo Alvarez (although they are fighting each other this fall), super middleweight champion Andre Ward or former super middleweight titlist Carl Froch, who has not fought for a year, is considering retirement and not shown any genuine interest in fighting GGG, going to far as to say in an interview on British television that fighters would be wise to “swerve Golovkin like the plague.” Apparently, he is following his own advice.

Golovkin especially would like to unify belts at middleweight. Loeffler hopes titlist David Lemieux and Golden Boy Promotions will have a change of heart and show interest in a fall fight. Titleholder Andy Lee is out of the picture for the fall because he is making his mandatory defense against Billy Joe Saunders.

Loeffler said Golovkin would be more than happy to have a fall fight with Ward (28-0, 15 KOs), who returned from a 19-month layoff last month to pummel hapless Paul Smith for nine one-sided rounds.

Although Golovkin is the bigger draw than Ward in terms of selling tickets and television ratings, Loeffler explained the terms they would be willing to make the fight for.

“GGG is now clearly the ‘A’ side yet Ward still would want to dictate terms, which makes no sense,” Loeffler said. “GGG would fight Ward on a 50-50 basis, the best 160-pounder versus the best 168-pounder [at] 164 [and] a 50-50 split on all proceeds. But it seems like Ward needs more tuneup fights.”
http://espn.go.com/blog/dan-rafael/post/_/id/13381/heres-what-it-will-take-to-make-ward-vs-ggg

Back
Top Bottom