Please Lock.

Dam so canelo and ggg sparred back in the day? How much did they weigh back then?
The Rhodes fight was Canelo's first fight at 154, and GGG has been MW his whole career, so at that time GGG was the larger man. 

Since then Alvarez has filled out, and will probably be the larger guy when they actually fight. 
I heard GGG also bested Kovalev in sparring too.
Yeah I think Abel said that, so you have to consider the source 
laugh.gif

Kovalev did say that GGG hits harder than him though. 

Yea and he said it wasn't just Kovalev and that GGG was just whooping on everyone :lol:

It's been going on almost 20 years that I have hated that ******* female DLH :lol:

Ahh man hopefully somethin like this stays in effect for other great boxers as well, so as there is no duckin and hidin. As far as catch weight i can care less as long as the fight happens

Ain't no running. Boxing has been needing this sort of push to fighters. :nthat:

Ward and Kov. :smokin

-Drew

Can the WBC restrict any catch weight demands?
Yeah, since it's a mandatory GGG is under no obligation to agree to a CW, and if it goes to purse-bid it will be set at 160.  

Honesty whether he fights GGG or not, IMO Canelo would better off just fighting at 160 for now on.  Physically he's a natural MW, and would probably look better in the ring weighing in closer to the limit and not draining himself.   

Also speaking of weights, Lemieux would have been stripped of his IBF title if he won Saturday.  The IBF has a 10 pound rehydration limit for fights they sanction.  He was 175 in the ring.  

Last edited:
 Chris Mannix ‏@ChrisMannixSI  6h6 hours ago
Fight Hype (@fighthype) reports #GolovkinLemieux generated 150K buys. I'm told final numbers aren't in, but that's in the ballpark.

I was thinking around 250-300k with the price being lower. Just read it might actually be lower than 150k (high end)

Last edited:
Between those numbers and the fact that they were selling tickets for $15 last second, I think it's safe to say GGG isn't a draw yet.

I wish PBC wasn't as mediocre as it has been, then maybe networks would actually buy in to boxing again and we could get away from the PPV model. They've had some decent fights here and there but way too few and far between to build any momentum for boxing on network tv. Definitely no star making moments. But a dude like GGG could be a star way quicker with just some network exposure, even without getting that big fight from Cotto, Canelo or whoever.

Finally got a chance to watch Lucas vs Postol .. now I see why Garcia didn't want to fight Postol a few months ago, dude is really long(pause) and has an awkward fighting style. Hopefully him and Crawford meet next year.

As far as GGG goes, he isn't going to be a big PPV draw until he fights a bigger name. The casual fan has no clue who David Lemieux is.

Golovkin-Lemiuex sells roughly 150,000 PPVs

In a less than spectacular showing at the PPV box office, Golovkin-Lemieux is reported to have had only 150,000 buys.

In what proves to be an interesting dichotomy, multiple industry sources are saying Gennady Golovkin's PPV debut against David Lemieux registered only about 150,000 buys, with at least one source saying it was even less than that. Obviously everyone involved hoped for a much better showing on the PPV market, but this is a rather surprising juxtaposition since Golovkin-Lemieux was a pretty hot ticket and did extremely well at the live gate -- breaking a pre-sale record and ultimately selling-out Madison Square Garden to the tune of 20,568 in attendance.

Could this mean that Golovkin is not as big of a star as we all might've thought? It's certainly possible. Golovkin failed to hit the 300,000 mark that both Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather hit on their first PPV, and even did much less than Shane Mosley's "500,000" buys for his recent rematch with Ricardo Mayorga (however ridiculous that claim was). Tom Loeffler, Golovkin's promoter, had said prior to the fight that about 200,000 buys would be sufficient to make the fight a financial success. In that sense, it appears this wasn't.

So if HBO was testing the PPV market for Golovkin here, that aspect surely wasn't a home run, but probably more like a drag bunt single, if that. It looks like the network, promoters, marketers, etc. still have their work cut out for them to bring Golovkin into the big time.

:rofl:

Nobody even knew the fight was on.
The promotion was terrible.

Actually the promotion was non-existent

Man this was the first ppv ive ever bought. I knew the outcome, but wanted to see it live so i bought it. I should have just watched it another way and saved the money for the cotto canelo

Between those numbers and the fact that they were selling tickets for $15 last second, I think it's safe to say GGG isn't a draw yet.

I wish PBC wasn't as mediocre as it has been, then maybe networks would actually buy in to boxing again and we could get away from the PPV model. They've had some decent fights here and there but way too few and far between to build any momentum for boxing on network tv. Definitely no star making moments. But a dude like GGG could be a star way quicker with just some network exposure, even without getting that big fight from Cotto, Canelo or whoever.
Streaming is killing the PPV model.

5-10 years from now there will probably only be 2-3 PPV's a year.  One from each network, and maybe a third joint one for "mega-fights". 

Have they hit double digits in PPV's where they've sold more than a million?

I think we had this convo like 4 years ago.

I disagree with the "zero". I think UFC plays a part in boxing's buy rate but not 100% the reason why. UFC basically has an event per month, and much more PPVs. Fans have shifted and focused more on UFC than boxing. Sure some UFC fans may still watch boxing, but many don't feel like paying for a boxing PPV as oppsed to a UFC event.

Online streaming has been going on for some time now and many fans stream the UFC as well. Even as so, UFC still reaches more PPV buys than boxing in general: http://mmapayout.com/blue-book/pay-per-view/ with the exception of Floyd and Pacquiao fights that only happen 3-4 times a year.

I remember going to a bar, on July 25th, where they were playing both UFC and boxing (Kovalev) at the same time. UFC was on Fox, Kovalev fight was on HBO but was sure to end in a KO. The main events didn't play concurrently, the UFC main event was first, and once it was done, Kovalev's fight started. But by the time it started, the bar had already been empty.

I'm not saying UFC is better, I'm more of a boxing fan, but UFC does better in promoting, marketing, lesser mismatches, more reputable judge scoring, more names, media trash talking, lineal and only titles, etc.

Last edited:
Nobody outside of boxing fans like us was checking for Kovalev vs Mohammedi that night whereas you had a rematch in UFC between Dillashaw & Barao.

I do agree with if boxing can start matching up their bigger names against each other, it would see a significant change when it comes to views.

I hope PBC can step their game up next year, has so much potential to be better than what it is.

Sorry but I have yet to meet an actual boxing fan who has just said, o UFC is better I am just going to watch that now :rofl:

A shame about GGG, this basically ensures that Mayweather doesnt even consider it.

I still think Ward washes GGG and wouldnt need to resort to the clinch as many of yall seem to think

I just want to see it. I'm so tired and bored of talking about it. I want them all to stop talking, put their money where they mouth is and just get this done. Part of the reason I'd be ticked to see Kovalev give Pascal the rematch. Ward's not gonna need many warm up fights and now there's a built in excuse for both of them to push it back.

Back
Top Bottom