Please Lock.

Cotto is probably the one fighter who has not run or ducked anyone in his career. Nearing the twilight, I don't blame him much for not wanting GGG. Guy who fights for the fans and has fought all comers has earned the right for a lighter fight, one more big payday with a Canelo fight and a farewell fight in PR.

I agree he should be stripped.

^^^

Agreed on all counts.

It's ridiculous to me when the word "scared" is thrown around about people who fight for a living.

People seem to forget this is also a business.

Brook vs Khan is very intriguing, and Amir is wrong if he thinks they're on two different levels.

Agreed on this as well.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if they even come close to Froch Vs. Groves in terms of national appeal.
You don't feel Khan is grossly popular in the UK? He has wide support from the British as well as Pakistan.

Brook had a fantastic showing against Porter and didn't buckle against Showtime's pressure whereas Khan didn't fare too well against Lamont Peterson's.
Brook's fight with Porter was relatively close, while Khan dismantled and outclassed Alexander the Great. This new version of Amir is scary with elite hand speed, continual movement, and a display of improved fight IQ. That can all change if Khan is goaded into a war for national pride. I think the fight will come down to Khan's ability to get off fast flurries and quickly evade danger by getting out of the pocket, versus Brook's ability to counter-punch effectively like he did against Porter. In fairness, Porter's game is more one-dimensional than Khan. He plods forward with dirty boxing. Amir is faster and has fought significantly better competition over his career compared to Brook. It will be a good bout, but I'm picking King Khan by decision.

Guy who fights for the fans and has fought all comers has earned the right for a lighter fight, one more big payday with a Canelo fight and a farewell fight in PR.
Canelo bout would have to be at MSG, no?

I would need to rewatch but I don't remember feeling Brook/Porter was that close.
It definitely was. I scored it a draw, but I was okay with the majority decision for Brook. Depended on how you valued pressure, movement forward, and dirty boxing versus cleaner counter-punching.

I definitely remember the cleaner counter punching.

And the pressure and forward movement. But I thought there was more wild, ineffective swinging than effective "dirty boxing" from Porter.

Once that's the case, the pressure and forward movement don't mean much to me.

Didn't favor either guy going in so I was pretty objective about it.

I remember feeling like Brook clearly won but was going to get robbed before the decision was announced.

I'll try to rewatch.

Last edited:
But I thought there was more wild, ineffective swinging than effective "dirty boxing" from Porter.

Didn't favor either guy going in so I was pretty objective about it.
Your first point is true as the fight entered the deeper rounds. Porter was growing increasingly frustrated and had no plan B, nor did his father have a solution. You got the impression the bout was slipping away and that increased Porter's urgency, thus explaining the wilder punching.

I do my best to remain professionally objective. However, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't shaded a step towards Porter. Never liked Brook but a spade is a spade, he put on a counter-punching clinic in the face of pitbull-like pressure.

Khan too busy trying to convince us that the win over Alexander was really a big deal when in reality it wasn't. Talkin about "my fight vs Alexander scared the top competition off" :smh:

He looked good but Alexander isn't that good of a fighter and neither is Collazo IMO.

Champ, yea I'd imagine Canelo is NYC. What I laid out was Cotto's last 3 fights...first against a "lighter" competition guys, then against Canelo and finally a farewell in PR.

I disagree about Khan being grossly popular in UK though...he's probably second dog to Froch right now...I think the only guys I'd put as popular coast to coast in the UK were Joe C, Lennox, Eubank and Ricky.

But then again, I'm admittedly SUPER biased against that fraud Khan :lol:

Eubank BTW is the biggest what if in our generation.

It's ridiculous to me when the word "scared" is thrown around about people who fight for a living.

People seem to forget this is also a business.

If you don't want to fight your mandatory for business or otherwise, I still believe scared is a fair description. Not necessarily for the beating you could receive, but the after effects on your future fight purses.

Business decision or otherwise, if you don't want to fight your mandatory challenger, you should just vacate the title. Otherwise you let it sit stale until being stripped.

If Cotto doesn't want to fight Golovkin, that is fine. Just vacate the title to let those genuinely in the division have a shot at it.

Last edited:
And for the record, I don't believe Cotto is scared of getting beat up by Golovkin. His fight with Margarito and all his other wars show he isn't afraid to take punishment while going to war.

It takes courage and heart to do what these guys do in the ring. I agree with boxer15 that Cotto isn't afraid to get beat up by GGG. He's just at the point in his career where he wants to get paid while not getting pummeled in the process. I don't blame him. He should wait for Canelo and avoid GGG at all costs.

Cotto is really hittable when he faces pressure fighters or he's forced to fight backing up. GGG-Cotto would be an ugly fight. Don't blame him at all for ducking - although it would be fun.

Still want Froch vs Degale. Eddie Hearn needs to make it happen as the co-header to Brook vs Khan.
I'd be lying if I said wouldn't watch it, but I want Froch Vs. JCC Jr.
You don't feel Khan is grossly popular in the UK? He has wide support from the British as well as Pakistan.
Not on the level of Froch.  Honestly, I think Ricky Hatton could come back and get more support from the UK fans than Khan.

Still want Froch vs Degale. Eddie Hearn needs to make it happen as the co-header to Brook vs Khan.

I'd be lying if I said wouldn't watch it, but I want Froch Vs. JCC Jr.

Not on the level of Froch.  Honestly, I think Ricky Hatton could come back and get more support from the UK fans than Khan.

I think their level of popularity is the same. The difference is that Carl Froch is generally likable to just about everyone in the UK. As for Khan, people either ride for him hard or just don't like him.

Back
Top Bottom