Porsche Cayman/Boxster - 718 Returns

funniest thing is, that looks like a panamera coupe
but cool for you rx, not happy with the bimmer?

I'm very happy with the Z4 but it was always a placeholder until the new Cayman comes out. I just didn't want to get the 987 a year before the 981 was coming out. And I didn't want the Boxster because of the soft-top. So yeah this new Cayman will be next for sure.

spoken like a true poser

I wouldn't say it's a poser since this car has it's own niche, it's practically the only mid-engine car in Porsche line-up. They just updated the look and for the better, I mean the 911 (or Porsche in general) always gets the "all rooks the same" treatment from one style to the other and one generation to the other, the Cayman/Boxsters updated look is a good move as I said w/o moving away from the signature Porsche look.

I'm very happy with the Z4 but it was always a placeholder until the new Cayman comes out. I just didn't want to get the 987 a year before the 981 was coming out. And I didn't want the Boxster because of the soft-top. So yeah this new Cayman will be next for sure.
[/quote]

You looking into the Cayman S?

Truth be told, I didn't really like the original Cayman. The Cayman S began to look better. Then the new Boxster S came out, and that made me like the Cayman more. I was also convinced by the silly logic of people that you're not driving a Porsche unless you have a 911 (or more recently the Panamera). Even though the hardcore 911 enthusiasts will not budge, that new Cayman is simply beautiful. Do you still have the IS (I think you had one right?).

It's a nice looking auto, but there are a handful of full size sedans that do identical performance numbers or better for $10K less than the Porcshe.

I love having nice things, but as a value guy the Boxster and the Cayman would never be in my garage.

Truth be told, I didn't really like the original Cayman. The Cayman S began to look better. Then the new Boxster S came out, and that made me like the Cayman more. I was also convinced by the silly logic of people that you're not driving a Porsche unless you have a 911 (or more recently the Panamera). Even though the hardcore 911 enthusiasts will not budge, that new Cayman is simply beautiful. Do you still have the IS (I think you had one right?).[/quote]

Main reason the Cayman doesn't more power, it'll take away from 911 sales.

And yes I still have the IS, it's the "passengers" vehicle.

spoken like a true poser

I wouldn't say it's a poser since this car has it's own niche, it's practically the only mid-engine car in Porsche line-up. They just updated the look and for the better, I mean the 911 (or Porsche in general) always gets the "all rooks the same" treatment from one style to the other and one generation to the other, the Cayman/Boxsters updated look is a good move as I said w/o moving away from the signature Porsche look.
man, the Z4 was a weird choice as a placeholder, but thats cool you are happy with it
idk man, it sounded like you have dreams of the gt and the cayman is the hot little sister, but you really want the older sister who's a supermodel

so are you keeping the Z4? and getting the Cayman?

It's a nice looking auto, but there are a handful of full size sedans that do identical performance numbers or better for $10K less than the Porcshe.

But if you are looking for a full size sedan, why would one even consider the Cayman?

I mean the point of this car is to be a mid-engine, 2-seater sports car with a 50/50 balance. And it does drive better than the 911, this isn't a poormans 911 anymore like when the Boxster first came out. This isn't the entry level Porsche anymore, that title belongs to the Cayenne (their best selling Porsche these days) and the soon the upcoming Macan.

man, the Z4 was a weird choice as a placeholder, but thats cool you are happy with it
idk man, it sounded like you have dreams of the gt and the cayman is the hot little sister, but you really want the older sister who's a supermodel
so are you keeping the Z4? and getting the Cayman?

The Z4 is perfect for the SoCal weather, it is a classic roadster and the hardtop is simply perfect. It is in direct competition of the Cayman/Boxster and SLK so I don't find it weird at all.

And nah, I am returning the Z4 and getting the Cayman. I might wait another year though to avoid any first year problems the new generation usually entails.

Truth be told, I didn't really like the original Cayman. The Cayman S began to look better. Then the new Boxster S came out, and that made me like the Cayman more. I was also convinced by the silly logic of people that you're not driving a Porsche unless you have a 911 (or more recently the Panamera). Even though the hardcore 911 enthusiasts will not budge, that new Cayman is simply beautiful. Do you still have the IS (I think you had one right?).

Main reason the Cayman doesn't more power, it'll take away from 911 sales.

And yes I still have the IS, it's the "passengers" vehicle.[/quote]

Yeah of course, they'll never add the extra power.

That IS still treating you well? I'm still considering it verrry veeeeeery deeply. I think that it's the best option for me (besides the GS lol) in the next 5 months or so.

People seem to have great stories about it.

If I could have all of my stars alighting, possibly Jan/Feb 2014, I could look into the Cayman as the 2nd car.

Last edited:
That IS still treating you well? I'm still considering it verrry veeeeeery deeply. I think that it's the best option for me (besides the GS lol) in the next 5 months or so.
People seem to have great stories about it.
If I could have all of my stars alighting, possibly Jan/Feb 2014, I could look into the Cayman as the 2nd car.

The IS has been and still great. Very comfortable, decent mileage and just enough power for hauling a few passengers. The V6 engine is very smooth, something I didn't notice until I started driving the Z4 with a turbo 4. Power delivery is just smooth, a true luxury car and it looks great, it still doesn't look dated at all.

A new gen is on the horizon though so if you want to save big, wait it out and you might be able to get a great price on it and you can also check it side by side with the new gen to decide which you like better. I was hoping Lexus would reveal it in this years LA Autoshow but it looks like they're holding it out for at least next year.

But if you are looking for a full size sedan, why would one even consider the Cayman?
I mean the point of this car is to be a mid-engine, 2-seater sports car with a 50/50 balance. And it does drive better than the 911, this isn't a poormans 911 anymore like when the Boxster first came out. This isn't the entry level Porsche anymore, that title belongs to the Cayenne (their best selling Porsche these days) and the soon the upcoming Macan.
It's not that I'm looking for a full size sedan, it's the point that I'm making.
You have a mid-engine porsche, 2-seater sports car with a 50/50 balance, but there are huge sedans that are putting up better numbers for less money. What I'm saying for me perosnally is that I can't justify buying the Cayman when I can have something that's faster and more functional for less money.

It's not that I'm looking for a full size sedan, it's the point that I'm making.
You have a mid-engine porsche, 2-seater sports car with a 50/50 balance, but there are huge sedans that are putting up better numbers for less money. What I'm saying for me perosnally is that I can't justify buying the Cayman when I can have something that's faster and more functional for less money.

But you are putting a car from a different segment though, I mean I understand like Ninja suggesting the ZL1 or GT500, those are a muscle/sports car that are bargain for what they offer but to compare or even suggest that there are "huge sedans" that are faster and cheaper just doesn't make sense because the market is different from the Cayman.

I think it would all make more sense if you just posted the last sentence w/o including or pointing out the :huge sedan" portion.

But if you really think about it, this is a Porsche we are talking about. Porsche isn't for the budget minded, it isn't the bargain brand in it's class when compared to non-luxury (or super cars) cars, you will always pay more for the badge and no one is denying that. Now it just so happens that it comes with great driving dynamics and sports car experience with that badge even at less power. To point out that there are better and faster option than a Porsche is a given.

2013 Porsche Cayman debuts with a lust for power

If Porsche were a kingdom in Game of Thrones, the 911 would be a stalwart yet paranoid ruler who keeps a wary eye on the Cayman--the younger, charismatic and upstart cousin destined to usurp the throne. Instead of dragging the engine behind the rear wheels, the Cayman puts the powerplant where it should be—at center. But Porsche isn't shifting the balance of power, and the 2013 Porsche Cayman unveiled at the 2012 Los Angeles Auto Show comes with a bevy of upgrades that while are appreciable come with few surprises. Porsche CEO Matthias Mueller succinctly summed it up as being "lighter, longer, faster and more efficient." And still living under the shadow of the marquee car.

But not being a 911 also has its stylistic perks, because Porsche designers aren't tied down to the same rear-engined shape penned by Ferdinand Porsche in 1948. Thanks to a longer wheelbase, gone is the hunched back C-pillar from the previous generation that abruptly rakes down, and the silhouette draws a smoother, more natural line. Aside from the small, circular daytime running lights, other details bear close resemblance to the droptop Boxter on which it's based. It also raids the 911 parts bin for the front brakes.

At launch, two versions will be offered—the Cayman and Cayman S—both with the option of the snappy PDK automatic transmission or a six-speed manual. The base model is powered by a 2.7-liter, 275 hp engine that moves from 0-60 in 5.1 seconds, and is rated at 22/32 city/highway mileage; the quicker Cayman S gets a 3.4-liter, 325 hp motor touting a 0-60 time of 4.6 seconds and an estimated 21/28 city/hwy mpg.

Although 25 horsepower under the 911 Carrera, the strength of the Cayman has always been its predictable chassis and responsive feel. The latest mid-engine coupe promises even crisper dynamics with torsional rigidity boosted by 40 percent, and weight savings of over 60 pounds in the S. Ironically, that weight loss introduces the one significant drawback to the next-gen coupe: following the Boxter's footsteps, Porsche dropped hydraulic power steering in favor of electric, which usually means a more muted feel when gripping the wheel. Following heritage and tradition, it uses MacPherson struts up front and multi-link suspension for the rear.

Pricing for both trims predictably get slotted above the open-top Boxter, with the base Cayman starting at $52,600 and the Cayman S starting at $63,800. While the 911 still reigns supreme, an edgier Cayman R is undoubtedly on the horizon, ready to watch the throne.

The front looks a lot better but this is the poser porsche for people that wish they had a 911. This is like the C230 Benz or 128 BMW. Much better options for your money like a Corvette but if being a poser is your thing, more power to you

My guy... It's Cayman Porsche. It's not trying to be anything other than what it is.

The front looks a lot better but this is the poser porsche for people that wish they had a 911. This is like the C230 Benz or 128 BMW. Much better options for your money like a Corvette but if being a poser is your thing, more power to you

Nothing wrong with a C230 benz.

It delivers decent power, while getting decent miles per gallon. Not everyone wants a C63 draining their wallets on fuel. The C230 provides great luxury, safe ride, smooth ride, with better mileage than it's big brother engines.
The 128 BMW is sensational. The power to weight, makes it a really fun drive. I would know, because my lady has a 120i and that already moves for it's size, the 128, with extra power is even better.

It seems you're too concerned with the numbers on the back, instead of the driving experience.

There's a reason why car companies make different engine sizes etc.

It delivers decent power, while getting decent miles per gallon. Not everyone wants a C63 draining their wallets on fuel. The C230 provides great luxury, safe ride, smooth ride, with better mileage than it's big brother engines.
The 128 BMW is sensational. The power to weight, makes it a really fun drive. I would know, because my lady has a 120i and that already moves for it's size, the 128, with extra power is even better.
It seems you're too concerned with the numbers on the back, instead of the driving experience.
Typical NT mentality of a BMW is useless unless it's an M, a Benz is a girl's car unless it's an AMG, A Porsche is not a Porsche unless it's a 911. A lot of these kids can not comprehend that a lot of people just like the chassis. And you are absolutely right, Eiddy. These high powered cars demand more gas money, and yearly gas taxes that some may not want to pay for. Nothing wrong with those cars at all.

forget this...you guys see the new 911 
nthat.gif

its bigger but def think porsche didnt go wrong with the new 911

Typical NT mentality of a BMW is useless unless it's an M, a Benz is a girl's car unless it's an AMG, A Porsche is not a Porsche unless it's a 911. A lot of these kids can not comprehend that a lot of people just like the chassis. And you are absolutely right, Eiddy. These high powered cars demand more gas money, and yearly gas taxes that some may not want to pay for. Nothing wrong with those cars at all.
Man while I agree with you lets not get crazy and think alot of peope don't get the cars like my people cguy610 said cause they wanted in on the Porsche brand but couldn't cop the more expense ones. Similar to clothing lines that have their top of the line and then the lower price points brands. I think most people if they could afford the higher priced one would that just how most people are. I'm not a car dude if it looks good to me and relatively fast I'm down and this car fits the bill.

Man thanks for killing my dreams cause I sure liked the looks of this thing but I can't hang around this dude calling me a poser and we supposed to be friends lol. F it I'd cop this. I would be poser and a cool one at that looking like bond in that skyfall trailer with the cuffs. :tongue: Your right though I would take Panamera over this but if I don't got Panamera $$$ flip it this car would be in the running with no shame.

Im on my phone so I cant quote right but buying a C230 that has the same quality interior as a Honda is being a poser. I rode in a new Buick yesterday with a better interior. Yall can be about that poser lifestyle but im gonna call it out

Back
Top Bottom