Post Your New Eras*59-Fiftys*etc... VOL. INFINITY NOW W/ Henz0/Thunderchunk/Icy's FAQ ON PG.1

Copped the last Green Chile Cheeseburgers hat in my size last night :smokin

So my hat stretcher (hat jack. $11 on amazon) arrived.. sz XL 7 1/2 & up.. well I ran out of stretching capacity on the screw turnbuckle device lol. I threw in a old shirt inside the hat to add some width and that seemed to work.. After letting some hats sit for just 9 hours... It works! This opens up a whole new buying spectrum for me.

No more excuses on wool hats shrinking. Shoulda invested in one of these years ago

Last edited:
So my hat stretcher (hat jack. $11 on amazon) arrived.. sz XL 7 1/2 & up.. well I ran out of stretching capacity on the screw turnbuckle device lol. I threw in a old shirt inside the hat to add some width and that seemed to work.. After letting some hats sit for just 9 hours... It works! This opens up a whole new buying spectrum for me.

No more excuses on wool hats shrinking. Shoulda invested in one of these years ago

...until you rip your first wool using the stretcher...

I do hear some slight pops but I want to say I'm careful.

Slight loose threads I have to be okay with.

What do you mean by rip? Like physically ripped chunks everywhere?

Like I said my frickin hat size reaches the max of this units stretching. Luckily I can kind of spit ball it. I can't quite over stretch a hat in the normal way.

Funny. Just saw the eBay titles of my latest purchases
59fiffy new era 7 7/8 62.5 cm team Milwaukee brewers fitted cap
Authentic new era 59fifty size 7 7/8 fitted baseball cap
Size 7 7/8 new era cap.

That was my twins, indians, and tigers latest purchases.

Last edited:
split the seams or rip the wool in another spot

i'd only be really worried with older caps, like 20-30 years or more - that have dried out some - increasing more than 2 sizes

Last edited:
split the seams or rip the wool in another spot

i'd only be really worried with older caps, like 20-30 years or more - that have dried out some - increasing more than 2 sizes

True. The furthest I have gone back is a 2002 angels ws on field, a 00-05 twins, and just recently a same era mariners. Not touching my '92-95 era stuff

Greenrhino, have you physically ripped an older hat with a stretcher ?

I have a 97-00 mets from high school that I have outgrown. I'm thinking i may be able to stretch that sucker. I definitely feel I need guinea pig hats. It's a 7 1/2 and I may be stretching it beyond it's means

Last edited:
Greenrhino, have you physically ripped an older hat with a stretcher ?

No. I've always used my knee or a table vice.
I may have ripped one at the seams by just trying to get in on...because it was too small

Am interested in your positive results.

If I had a stretcher I might spray a hat to wet in down a little if it felt dry

Picked up a new Carolina vtg snapback, materials is very nice, for my experts anybody know how old this might be? Gotta be at least 15 yrs, never seen the new era spellout under the flag

^Based off of MLB on fields, the NE tag seems to indicate at least 1997 to maybe 2003.

Not sure that exactly translates to non MLB hats... I have a couple older minor league hats and there does seem to be some carry over in tagging.

'97-'98

...or later...only if what wally says is accurate about the tagging on some minor league/casual caps lagging behind mlb on-fields

Last edited:
I want to say more or less minor league caps followed the same lineage, if not for a one or two year lag. I wouldnt doubt some teams had wool caps well into 2010 (minor leagues went poly and black underbrim the same time as MLB). I just recently bought some Great Lakes Loons hats from their official store, and they were still selling some 2006 white sweat band (blue NE tag) 100% wools. So the lag is definitely a real thing

Here is one minor league hat with what I believe to be 2002-2004 era
s-l500.jpg

This one too around the same time as above
s-l500.jpg

Here's another AAA minor league hat
s-l500.jpg

Based off of MLB on fields, its around a 1989-1991 model.

This one, around 1995.
s-l500.jpg

Hard to see but it has the older 5950 spelled out. Its identical to a '95 Indians on field that I have, in regards to tagging.
From another minor league hat
s-l500.jpg

This one 97-99 ish
s-l500.jpg

It actually features a NE flag on the side

Speaking of minors, does anyone know when the NE flag was added to the side? Looking online for various tags, I found the one above going back some 20 years. The ~1995 era on fields did not have the flag. The ~1997-2000 ones did. So I guess within that time frame, the minors made the switch.

I guess we have to be lucky it took 20 years for the Majors to get the flag treatment.

I also have minors that have the fly your own flag marking from the past few years, as well as a black under, with the blue and white NE tag (2007ish). So for the most part, minors have followed the MLB lineage almost to a tee.

------------

The real trickery is these fashion caps by NE. Even the made in china customs that I have. The tags are all over the place. There is zero indicators on age of when they were made. But for the most part, minors and majors have some similarities. On ebay, they are usually cheaper too. You can get some gems on ebay for sure of vintage minor league hats... Then there are some sellers who mark them as vintage, but they are black under, and have pretty current markings.

Last edited:
Good looks on the info, might take that new era spellout off my hat, not used to that, might just keep it on because of it being VTG, who knows

How would I remove that off if I wanted to remove it?

Last edited:
Have had my eyes on this one for at least six months. Price near or at retail. It never sold until this week.

I want to say 2003-2005 era

I have a made in China 2012 100% poly on field in this same colorway. This one blows the other out of the water. I am continually impressed by the fit that the older on fields have. Nothing cheap about them. It stumps me that so many aren't willing to pay retail for older brand new stock, but drop $40 for a on field at your local mall.

I've been seeing so many flagged hats now. Definitely don't have a look of your typical custom. These are 2017 on fields. Sad crap.

Last edited:
^nice pickup, old new eras gettng harder and harder to find and that condition is perfect

Talking about new era, good job by them to completely mess up what could have been the best July 4th MLB fitteds ever :smh: , the damn pin is not even removable, what were they thinking?

The one underneath is not bad, just tired of usa flags in logos at this point

Last edited:
I guess you never know with eBay. This showed up in my mailbox in a bubble envelope.

Do not crush. Lol.

I'll need to wet it and reform it with a towel but luckily I didn't pay too much for it.

Another missing piece added to my Indians collection.

I want to say it's a first year poly 2007 with silver outline. By 2008, they reverted to white. This one is made in USA luckily. So my gut instinct was right. Too bad about the envelope.

Family photo of the road on field

Bottom left. First introduction of the road color. 1995. Grey under. Wool
Top left. Lighter navy. Silver outline on wahoo (first introduced around 2003). 2003-2004. Grey under. Wool.
Bottom right. Latest pickup. First year poly 2007. Silver outline. Lighter navy. Nearly identical to the 2003, but poly and black under.
Top right. 2012-2014 white outlined lighter navy. Black under.
Very top. 2015 white outlined darker navy. Black under.

Darker navy is definitely the way to go, with the bigger head. Nothing tops the '95 styling among these five imho.

glad last year or whenever that the Indians went back to the dark navy instead of that ugly blue.

and I agree the old BIG wahoo is :pimp:

I have a used one

Not a total steal but eastbay has 2 for $34.99 on mostly all of the non flagged MLB authentic on fields, including different years of stars and strips, ASGs, memorial day etc... They had this deal awhile back but its been at least a year I want to say, since the last sale like this.

Among websites that I check on weekly, so many have depleted or zero stock of the older on fields. The stock is definitely running dry.

Throw in 7% off if you use ebates, and including free shipping on eastbay, you can walk with each hat costing you about $16.25. You'd be hard pressed to find them for that cheap on ebay

Ran into this at Lids with an Additional 30% off.
Made in U.S.A Poly.
Also saw Oakland A's and Twins of this era.
Random Sizes.

Took advantage of that eastbay sale that I had mentioned a few days back. The stock piles are definitely drying up.

I knew I'd be getting the pre 2015 lighter navy color but didn't realize that I'd be getting both a cool base '09-'11 era and then the more common '12-'15. My poly year collection is complete.

Notice anything that looks off?

I've been the biggest advocate for USA made on fields and this left me really really disappointed. Both are in fact made in USA and 100% poly. The damn button on top is a good 1/2 inch off center. It's from the 2012-2015 era cap. It's not so much we have to desire USA made products for quality anymore. Instead we have to go back to the era where they gave a crap. Pre 2011 may be the only way I go from here on out.

OCD is now kicking in. May need to check all my hats for proper balance lol. For this one though, it really stood out. I'm just happy I walked basically buying 2 for 1. Most aren't lucky enough. None of this is worth 'retail'.

Last edited:
1st attempt at wettting an on field then using the hat stretcher. Best gains I have seen yet

Closet find

2006 era. Made in USA. 100% wool. grey under.. The works.. Simply perfect quality but for years I was just looking at it

Probably hasn't been worn since I originally wore from 06-09.
Stretched it over the weekend. Perfect fit now. Such an easy simple fit.

It was sitting more like a 7 1/2 after shrinking over time. So now it's truly more of a 7 7/8. I think someone here mentioned wetting it first. I actually have some damp wash cloths over them as they stretch and every couple hrs, I increase the tension. Perfect execution so far.
I think the furthest back my stretching will go will be 2000 era on fields. 2000 and before seems to have some brittle sounding sweat band material.

I bought some on fields from Elijah dukes awhile back that never fit and I'm finally stretching 7 3/4s back into wearable condition. Best investment I made this year.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom