***PRO-AM/COLLEGE/HS BASKETBALL/AAU PLAYERS CHIME IN..AND ASK THE REF***

is that a travel though. he kinda tossed ball forward, took 5-6 steps then started to dribble. that a travel?

is that a travel though. he kinda tossed ball forward, took 5-6 steps then started to dribble. that a travel?

^^^NA ITS NOT A TRAVEL YOU CAN TAKE A MILLION STEPS WHILE THE BALL IS BOUNCING ON ITS OWN

^^^NA ITS NOT A TRAVEL YOU CAN TAKE A MILLION STEPS WHILE THE BALL IS BOUNCING ON ITS OWN

Originally Posted by Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul

You ever tell another ref he blew a call? Or had to deal with a ref cheating?

When I went to Anadarko, (Native American) city to play in "their" tournament, our team actually had 2 on there and that's how we got in but they appear to the naked eye to just be black dudes so we were getting KILLED on the officiating all tournament but still made it to the semi final game, 2nd place gets $1500 and first place gets $2000, we got 7 players so that'd be $214 but anyways in the semi final game, both teams got 1 L so whoever loses this is out and whoever wins guarantees at least $1500, I'm guarding a dude at like half court with the score tied and like 6 seconds left, he pump faked but I just stood there about 5 ft away from him wit my hands up because it's a half court shot I'm not even going to bother really contesting. He just jumps towards me and doesn't even get contact still and flings the ball, lands, then falls forward into me of his own volition while I'm just standing there. Buzzer goes off, we're thinking overtime. All of a sudden the ref who was on the baseline, tweet!! comes running full speed and bird dogs me and calls me for a foul shooting a 3 with no time left. Dude got to shoot 3fts, only had to make 1, to win the game with no1 on the line. Of course he made 1 and we lost. Ref was related to him. The guy who "drew" the foul on me came up to us and apologized afterward. He didn't miss the free throws on purpose, but he apologized which I thought was kind of him.

I also hate those "dont talk to me, AT ALL refs." Steve Javie is one for example. There have literally been techs (like last night on Kobe), where I don't even think the player was talking to him. It looked like Kobe was yelling at a teammate. Or Zoran Dragic and Grant Hill both in the same game both got 2 of the tamest t's I've seen in my life. Neither yelled, nor cursed, nor jumped around. It was ridiculous.

I WOULD HAVE CHOKED HIM IN THE LOCKER ROOM!!! ONE CARDNIAL RULE IN OFFICIATING IS DONT SPRAY OUT YOUR AREA AND TRUST YOUR PARTNER LIKE YOU SAID HE WAS RELATED TO THE PLAYER SO YEA IT LOOKED FIXED...BUT NOT ON THE PLAYERS PART.

I REMEMBER ONE GUY DID THAT TO ME ONCE IN MY EARLY CAREER..I WAS ON THE BASELINE KID MADE A GOOD BASKETBALL MOVE ON THE POST HE CALLS A TRAVEL FROM A LIL PAST HALFCOURT. I GAVE THE
tired.gif
NEXT PLAY I HAD IN MY AREA THE BALL WENT OUT OF BOUNDS....I DIDNT BLOW MY WHISTLE SO HE CAME IN STRONG AND BLEW IT AND ASKED IF I WAS OK? I TOLD HIM I THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO MAKE THE CALL SINCE HE WAS SPRAYING ALL IN MY AREA SO IM JUST GONNA SIT BACK AND COLLECT THIS $110 AND BOUNCE...HE GOT THE MESSAGE AND AFTER THE GAME HE APOLOGIZED AND SAYS IT WAS A PLEASURE WORKING WITH ME...I SAID
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by Dwele Farooq Al Suleed Afzul

You ever tell another ref he blew a call? Or had to deal with a ref cheating?

When I went to Anadarko, (Native American) city to play in "their" tournament, our team actually had 2 on there and that's how we got in but they appear to the naked eye to just be black dudes so we were getting KILLED on the officiating all tournament but still made it to the semi final game, 2nd place gets $1500 and first place gets $2000, we got 7 players so that'd be $214 but anyways in the semi final game, both teams got 1 L so whoever loses this is out and whoever wins guarantees at least $1500, I'm guarding a dude at like half court with the score tied and like 6 seconds left, he pump faked but I just stood there about 5 ft away from him wit my hands up because it's a half court shot I'm not even going to bother really contesting. He just jumps towards me and doesn't even get contact still and flings the ball, lands, then falls forward into me of his own volition while I'm just standing there. Buzzer goes off, we're thinking overtime. All of a sudden the ref who was on the baseline, tweet!! comes running full speed and bird dogs me and calls me for a foul shooting a 3 with no time left. Dude got to shoot 3fts, only had to make 1, to win the game with no1 on the line. Of course he made 1 and we lost. Ref was related to him. The guy who "drew" the foul on me came up to us and apologized afterward. He didn't miss the free throws on purpose, but he apologized which I thought was kind of him.

I also hate those "dont talk to me, AT ALL refs." Steve Javie is one for example. There have literally been techs (like last night on Kobe), where I don't even think the player was talking to him. It looked like Kobe was yelling at a teammate. Or Zoran Dragic and Grant Hill both in the same game both got 2 of the tamest t's I've seen in my life. Neither yelled, nor cursed, nor jumped around. It was ridiculous.

I WOULD HAVE CHOKED HIM IN THE LOCKER ROOM!!! ONE CARDNIAL RULE IN OFFICIATING IS DONT SPRAY OUT YOUR AREA AND TRUST YOUR PARTNER LIKE YOU SAID HE WAS RELATED TO THE PLAYER SO YEA IT LOOKED FIXED...BUT NOT ON THE PLAYERS PART.

I REMEMBER ONE GUY DID THAT TO ME ONCE IN MY EARLY CAREER..I WAS ON THE BASELINE KID MADE A GOOD BASKETBALL MOVE ON THE POST HE CALLS A TRAVEL FROM A LIL PAST HALFCOURT. I GAVE THE
tired.gif
NEXT PLAY I HAD IN MY AREA THE BALL WENT OUT OF BOUNDS....I DIDNT BLOW MY WHISTLE SO HE CAME IN STRONG AND BLEW IT AND ASKED IF I WAS OK? I TOLD HIM I THOUGHT HE WAS GOING TO MAKE THE CALL SINCE HE WAS SPRAYING ALL IN MY AREA SO IM JUST GONNA SIT BACK AND COLLECT THIS $110 AND BOUNCE...HE GOT THE MESSAGE AND AFTER THE GAME HE APOLOGIZED AND SAYS IT WAS A PLEASURE WORKING WITH ME...I SAID
indifferent.gif

great post bigsupa!  now, i'm just putting myself in your situation and here are my questions:

- do you ever happen to look at a line before the games your ref...or any odds/lines at all??
- relationships w/players off the court?
- play lil referee games within the game ala Tim Donoghy ;-)  (first one to call travel wins $25.00, first technical foul wins $50.00, etc) LOL

ok, serious game question now:

- in college/hs bball...there is no "square" area underneath the hoop that validates a charge vs block?  only nba has that rule?
- are breakaway or clear path to the basket apply in HS/college?
- game on the line, player takes it hard to the basket...do you make the right call or it has to be VERY VERY obvious that he got hit to send them to the line and hit FTs to win the game??

great post bigsupa!  now, i'm just putting myself in your situation and here are my questions:

- do you ever happen to look at a line before the games your ref...or any odds/lines at all??
- relationships w/players off the court?
- play lil referee games within the game ala Tim Donoghy ;-)  (first one to call travel wins $25.00, first technical foul wins $50.00, etc) LOL

- in college/hs bball...there is no "square" area underneath the hoop that validates a charge vs block?  only nba has that rule?
- are breakaway or clear path to the basket apply in HS/college?
- game on the line, player takes it hard to the basket...do you make the right call or it has to be VERY VERY obvious that he got hit to send them to the line and hit FTs to win the game??

Originally Posted by lokiD40

- do you ever happen to look at a line before the games your ref...or any odds/lines at all?? NO...THEY HAVE CRACKED DOWN ON US GAMBLING EVEN OUTSIDE OF SPORTS.
- relationships w/players off the court? I HAVE SEVERAL RELATIONSHIPS WITH PLAYERS CUZ THEY LIKE MY KICK GAME WHEN THEY SEE ME OVER THE SUMMER. SO IT ACTUALLY MAKES MY SEASON EASIER CUZ I CAN TALK TO THEM AND THEY LISTEN AS OPPOSED TO ANOTHER GUY WHO THEY'LL JUST IGNORE.
- play lil referee games within the game ala Tim Donoghy [HES A DIRTBAG];-)  
indifferent.gif
 FIXED (first one to call travel wins $25.00, first technical foul wins $50.00, etc) - THATS TOO MUCH $ TO BE GIVING UP IN HS OR NCAA GAMES

- in college/hs bball...there is no "square" area underneath the hoop that validates a charge vs block?   only nba has that rule? ONLY NBA...BUT THE NCAA IS LOOKING TO PUT THAT IN BY THE NEXT 2 YRS SO HS WILL PROB GET IT WITHIN THE NEXT 5-6
- are breakaway or clear path to the basket apply in HS/college? NO. THE MOST WE CAN DO IS CALL AN INTENTIONAL FOUL IF YOU MAKE NO ATTEMPT TO PLAY THE BALL.
- game on the line, player takes it hard to the basket...do you make the right call or it has to be VERY VERY obvious that he got hit to send them to the line and hit FTs to win the game?? IN SITUATIONS LIKE THIS...IF YOU MAKE THE RIGHT CALL THEN YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT...

THERE ARE 3 KINDS OF CONTACT:
  1. INCIDENTAL - A BUMP DURING SCREENS AND THE WEAKER GUY FALLS OR TWO GUYS GO FOR A REBOUND ONE FALLS OR LOOSEBALL 2 PLAYERS COLLIDE...NO FOUL SHOULD BE CALLED
  2. ILLEGAL - ANY KIND OF ILLEGAL CONTACT IS A FOUL.
  3. MARGINAL - WHEN THERE ISN'T ENOUGH CONTACT TO "DISPLACE" THE OPPONENT OUT OF THIER WAY...GOOD PLAYERS CAN TAKE MARGINAL CONTACT AND STILL FINISH.

Originally Posted by lokiD40

- do you ever happen to look at a line before the games your ref...or any odds/lines at all?? NO...THEY HAVE CRACKED DOWN ON US GAMBLING EVEN OUTSIDE OF SPORTS.
- relationships w/players off the court? I HAVE SEVERAL RELATIONSHIPS WITH PLAYERS CUZ THEY LIKE MY KICK GAME WHEN THEY SEE ME OVER THE SUMMER. SO IT ACTUALLY MAKES MY SEASON EASIER CUZ I CAN TALK TO THEM AND THEY LISTEN AS OPPOSED TO ANOTHER GUY WHO THEY'LL JUST IGNORE.
- play lil referee games within the game ala Tim Donoghy [HES A DIRTBAG];-)  
indifferent.gif
 FIXED (first one to call travel wins $25.00, first technical foul wins $50.00, etc) - THATS TOO MUCH $ TO BE GIVING UP IN HS OR NCAA GAMES

- in college/hs bball...there is no "square" area underneath the hoop that validates a charge vs block?   only nba has that rule? ONLY NBA...BUT THE NCAA IS LOOKING TO PUT THAT IN BY THE NEXT 2 YRS SO HS WILL PROB GET IT WITHIN THE NEXT 5-6
- are breakaway or clear path to the basket apply in HS/college? NO. THE MOST WE CAN DO IS CALL AN INTENTIONAL FOUL IF YOU MAKE NO ATTEMPT TO PLAY THE BALL.
- game on the line, player takes it hard to the basket...do you make the right call or it has to be VERY VERY obvious that he got hit to send them to the line and hit FTs to win the game?? IN SITUATIONS LIKE THIS...IF YOU MAKE THE RIGHT CALL THEN YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT...

THERE ARE 3 KINDS OF CONTACT:
  1. INCIDENTAL - A BUMP DURING SCREENS AND THE WEAKER GUY FALLS OR TWO GUYS GO FOR A REBOUND ONE FALLS OR LOOSEBALL 2 PLAYERS COLLIDE...NO FOUL SHOULD BE CALLED
  2. ILLEGAL - ANY KIND OF ILLEGAL CONTACT IS A FOUL.
  3. MARGINAL - WHEN THERE ISN'T ENOUGH CONTACT TO "DISPLACE" THE OPPONENT OUT OF THIER WAY...GOOD PLAYERS CAN TAKE MARGINAL CONTACT AND STILL FINISH.

Bigsupa, I saw up a couple posts where you said a player can not go out of bounds for an unauthorized reason. I was cutting across baseline, from right to left, and ran out of bounds under the bucket. I DID NOT have the ball, but was just making a baseline motion cut. Ref blew the whistle and called turnover. I have never seen this calle dbefore and wanted an explanation if you have. Thanks.

Bigsupa, I saw up a couple posts where you said a player can not go out of bounds for an unauthorized reason. I was cutting across baseline, from right to left, and ran out of bounds under the bucket. I DID NOT have the ball, but was just making a baseline motion cut. Ref blew the whistle and called turnover. I have never seen this calle dbefore and wanted an explanation if you have. Thanks.

Originally Posted by duke4005

That should be perfectly legal, but it's illegal for a teammate of yours to set a screen while out of bounds.

That should be perfectly legal, but it's illegal for a teammate of yours to set a screen while out of bounds.

That's what I thought. I played DI and NEVER saw this rule enforced but some fool at a rec league blows the whistle? C'mon, home cooking.

That's what I thought. I played DI and NEVER saw this rule enforced but some fool at a rec league blows the whistle? C'mon, home cooking.

High School boys varisty level bball

2 players (1 blue team, 1 white team)are running after a ball going out of bounds on the baseline. player from the blue team gets possession of the ball while off balance but not travelling or going out of bounds. player on the white team gets in defensive position, facing the player with the ball. before falling out of bounds, the blue team player with the ball jumps away from the white team (over the out of bounds area) and throws the ball off of his opponents face. the ball bounces off his face and then goes out of bounds, last touched by the whte team. whats the call?

i see this happen all the time when its thrown off the opponents leg or hip, but never have i seen it thrown off someones face.

before i say what the refs call was, ill wait for your answer.

High School boys varisty level bball

2 players (1 blue team, 1 white team)are running after a ball going out of bounds on the baseline. player from the blue team gets possession of the ball while off balance but not travelling or going out of bounds. player on the white team gets in defensive position, facing the player with the ball. before falling out of bounds, the blue team player with the ball jumps away from the white team (over the out of bounds area) and throws the ball off of his opponents face. the ball bounces off his face and then goes out of bounds, last touched by the whte team. whats the call?

i see this happen all the time when its thrown off the opponents leg or hip, but never have i seen it thrown off someones face.

before i say what the refs call was, ill wait for your answer.

Off face, off leg, off hand, no difference. Out on him, whoever or wherever it was touched last.

Off face, off leg, off hand, no difference. Out on him, whoever or wherever it was touched last.

IT IS A RULE THAT WAS IMPLEMENTED A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO, I WANT TO SAY 3-4YRS AGO. DO WE ENFORCE NO NOT REALLY WE JUST TELL YOU TO GET BACK ON THE COURT BUT IF YOU ARE CONSISTENTLY DOING ITYEP WE'LL CALL IT. AS FAR AS REC LEAGUES
roll.gif
 YOU WOULD LOVE ME AS A REF CUZ I LET YOU GUYS PLAY...BANG IT OUT I DONT CARE JUST DONT GET STUPID AND HURT EACH OTHER.

THERE ARE SOOO MANY RULES WE LET SLIDE BY CUZ THEY ARE RIDICULOUS TO CALL YET THEY ARE STILL A RULE...NEXT TIME YOU AT THE LINE SHOOTING A FREE THROW...COUNT TO 11 THEN SHOOT..LETS SEE IF THEY PAYING ATTENTION!

Back
Top Bottom