Protestors crash WWII veteran's medal ceremony *video*

[h1]'Give Me a Chance': WWII Vet's Medal Ceremony Crashed by Protesters[/h1]
Protesters in Portland, Oregon, interrupted a town hall meeting where a decorated World War II veteran was receiving a special honor.

100-year-old U.S. Navy vet Dario Raschio was supposed to be presented with medals by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR), but soon after the meeting began, more than 100 protesters emerged, shouting "hands-up, don't shoot!" and "I can't breathe!"

The protesters did not stop until Raschio spoke up and said, "Give me a chance. At least let us show a little respect for this occasion."

Raschio accepted his honor from Wyden and made a brief speech, but as soon as he was done, the protesters resumed their shouting.

Raschio left the meeting early.

He was awarded the U.S. Naval Aviator Badge, the American Campaign Medal, the Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal, the World War II Victory medal, the American Defense Service Medal, the "Ruptured Duck" award and the U.S. Navy Honorable discharge pin.

He was also given a flag flown over the U.S Capitol.

He accepted the medals on behalf of those who died in WWII and ended his short speech by saying, "God bless America. And you people that are here for a cause, whatever it might be—show respect to Sen. Wyden."

Wyden took back the mic, and followed up, "One of the reasons that we can come here today and be heard and express our views is because of veterans like Dario."

But before Raschio could even sit down the unrest resumed. A protester at the front of the room announced that "for 4.5 minutes we are going to take time to pay respect to everybody who has been killed by police in this nation."

PART 1:

PART 2: 

No respect...absolutely disgraceful 
mean.gif
mean.gif

That 100 year old vet probably accomplished more in his lifetime than all the protestors combined.  There's a time and place for everything, and what those protestors did is a good way to get people on the opposite side of whatever they're protesting for/against.

You think they changed the minds of all those white people sitting in there? They're allowed to protest and have every right to do so, but they're doing it wrong man. This was just disrespectful. Think they would have made more of a statement just being there on the side with some picket signs, being silent. No reason to interrupt a medal ceremony, much less when it's for an American hero.

the nypd turning their fellow officers funerals into a sideshow spectacle was disgraceful in its own right.

so is this.   if they knew this event was to recognize a 100 year old war vet and went about it anyways that's messed up and gives protesters a bad name.   it's a time and a place.  illuminati is right in that sense and about how this is counter productive. 

their doing this at the wrong places too.   i get the protest, but it would be better suited at a police station if police brutality is being protested. 

what most people are going to take from this is that a few disruptive people ruined the ceremony for an 100 year old ww2 vet and are going to be outraged from that and are going to completely disregard or overlook anything the protesters said because of how they went about it, the timing of when they went about it, and how disrespectful they were in doing so.

that total disrespect is what gets hands put on people as well.  could you really blame one of that vets relatives or a friend of his for putting hands on some disrespectful protester ruining the day of someone their close to.   hell i think alot of people would respond that way if that was their grandfather up there having his moment ruined like that.

if it was a regular town meeting then screw it, make yourself heard, but let that old man have his day. 

Last edited:
A bit extreme and misguided. I do think this is a statement that needs to be made and understood but this isn't the way to do it.

Wouldn't even have been mad if any of those scumbags leading the protest would have gotten knocked the **** out, actually would have been rather enjoyable.

Not the time at all the be doing a damn protest :smh:

I knew a POW from WW2

RIP BOB

WW2 was the war that liberated Europe and put USA on the cot dang map...

followed by some decades of racially charged turmoil at home which lead into the most precarious time to be a Catholic president.

More precarious than the mid 90's middleweight boxing division

Last edited:
That's a shame. Protestor ALLEGEDLY rolled up on brunch spots and harassed diners in Manhattan. One woman was slapped. That'll get the people on your side.

Last edited:
These protesters are scumbags do it at any other function other than a medal service let alone ww2, such disrespect

Don't see a problem.

Isn't the purpose of a protest to spread a message by interrupting the normal flow of things?

Apparently you can only protest where it doesn't bother anyone

I like this, put it right in their face.

Don't see a problem.

Isn't the purpose of a protest to spread a message by interrupting the normal flow of things?

Except when cops protest at a funeral.

Don't see a problem.

but what message does this send?

Don't see a problem.

Right. Let's disrespect a ceremony that intends to honor a man who fought to defend the liberties we enjoy; the right to protest being one of them. Get out of here with that my dude. That event was not the platform to get their message across. No matter what, a far greater deal of people will look at this as a group of people being curt.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom