Public school vs private school?

I'm a product of one the the most underperforming school districts in the Bay Area at the time and public schools of that degree will not adequately prepare a student for matriculation. Kids made it though, a lot of my circle is at UCB, UCLA, Stanford, and Yale to name a few but on the flip side I know twice as many kids either grinding the hard way in dead-end service jobs or in jail *shrug*

Moms couldn't pay for private school so I had to make with what I had, but I was lucky to stay on a path to higher education. That road was not paved well AT ALL :lol:

I went to a charter school for 5-8. Uniforms, application to get in, better education, all that stuff. Felt like a private school but they still got some state funding so it wasnt considered private. They opened a K-4 the year after i left and they just opened a high school within the last couple years as well.

Its a good atmosphere. I know ill be sending my kids there in the future. Worth looking into charter schools in your area

Find a good public school to go to if there's one around you, save the money for college

OP, what schools did you go to? Assuming you went to school in the PG area.
Also what schools are you thinking about sending her to?

I went to public school in PG K-12. Was able to attend a decent state school (avi check) on scholarship. I think I did pretty well for myself.

Isn't it true that if a student graduates from a DC high school, they can go to any college in the country for in-state tuition??

It's all subjective.

In some places, the standard of public schooling is excellent.

In other places it'd be wise to opt for private schooling.

Really just gotta do your research about the schools in your respective area.

Pretty much this. I went to nothing but public schools and turned out fine, but each of those schools were very demanding, along with the high school I went to being new, so that directly correlated with the good education I got. When I got to college, I was pretty shocked meeting people who had never written an essay in their lives.

Private all the way.  My daughter is 2 and her mother enrolled her to private pre-school already for $1570 a month.  She wouldn't have allowed it to be any other way, she went to private school her whole life until college while I went to nothing but inner city public schools my whole life.  We have to drive about 40 mins to over 1 hour a day to drop her off or pick her up from her school depending on traffic.  

I know a family they put their son in private school an it was really something they could not afford, they cut corners all over, their daughter (my ex) actually help contribute also to paying bills. He did great at private and the colleges looking at him were fantastic. Anyways he went on to Boston University and he had jobs offered before he even graduated his senior year.

Anyways his starting salary out of college was 65k and that's more than either of his parents ever earned salary wise to start, I'd gave him some of my air maxes I didn't wear too often for all that walking around the city and also gave him a Diesel winter jacket I wasn't using much. He appreciated everything, great kid.

Our local HS isn't bad by anymeans (got awards) but the local private takes away a lot of the nonsense an also the education is a little better for sure.

I wish I went to private looking back, I would've care less about the BS in the hallways and keeping my air forces white as I could.

All I know is that the day I become a father, I will at the very least need to have the means to choose between Private and Public schools for my children.

Won't commit to either option till I have children and find schools I think suit their needs. In an ideal world though, I'd like to move to another country and send my children to an American Internatinal School (of Brussels, of Paris, of Tokyo, etc. )

Private all the way.  My daughter is 2 and her mother enrolled her to private pre-school already for $1570 a month.  She wouldn't have allowed it to be any other way, she went to private school her whole life until college while I went to nothing but inner city public schools my whole life.  We have to drive about 40 mins to over 1 hour a day to drop her off or pick her up from her school depending on traffic.  

that sounds pretty stressful and expensive.

OP, what schools did you go to? Assuming you went to school in the PG area.
Also what schools are you thinking about sending her to?

I went to public school in PG K-12. Was able to attend a decent state school (avi check) on scholarship. I think I did pretty well for myself.

Isn't it true that if a student graduates from a DC high school, they can go to any college in the country for in-state tuition??
yea DC high school grads get in state tuition at all state/university system schools ...I know dudes from DC that went to school in ATL paying just a couple stacks a semester

Last edited:
Yeah it's definitely not cheap but my daughter's mother wouldn't have it any other way, luckily her dad is paying the tuition for his granddaughter but even if he didn't she'd pay it herself.  

Either way as a parent you still have the biggest role in educating your kid and ensuring they have knowledge of self so they remain humble and grounded.

I question the quality of education gap between private and public. I did not notice a huge difference.

In public ya kid will definitely learn a lot more socially and will be a bit more savvy and get toughened up if you care about that. Still is risky if you're ignorant and fearful of the public school experience.

I say it's about classroom size. I find that schools with a high amount of students per teacher are less beneficial. I grew up going to both overcrowded and specialized (low student per teacher ratio) and I must say the less people the better. Teachers are more focused on individual students and everyone knows each other better.

Yea after "private school all the way", I was anticipating him to list a bunch of positives :lol: :lol:

All I know is that the day I become a father, I will at the very least need to have the means to choose between Private and Public schools for my children.

Won't commit to either option till I have children and find schools I think suit their needs. In an ideal world though, I'd like to move to another country and send my children to an American Internatinal School (of Brussels, of Paris, of Tokyo, etc. )

Same here, I at least want to give them the option of private school. The private schools out here have athletic teams as well which I'd like my children to participate in like I did

I say it's about classroom size. I find that schools with a high amount of students per teacher are less beneficial. I grew up going to both overcrowded and specialized (low student per teacher ratio) and I must say the less people the better. Teachers are more focused on individual students and everyone knows each other better.

Except for physics and chemistry, I don't think I had a class less than 30 people in HS

It really depends on the country/district's public school standards. As some people have already said, there's some fantastic public schools in the country with high standards and resources for their students.

Generally speaking, there is a sentiment that you get a "better education" while going to private school. But I think it depends on the standards.

Same here, I at least want to give them the option of private school. The private schools out here have athletic teams as well which I'd like my children to participate in like I did

Thats probably the only reason I'd send my kid to a private. If they particiate in some sports program and that school is high recruit by college teams, I'll try to get them there.

I question the quality of education gap between private and public. I did not notice a huge difference.

In public ya kid will definitely learn a lot more socially and will be a bit more savvy and get toughened up if you care about that. Still is risky if you're ignorant and fearful of the public school experience.

From what I've witnessed (speaking as someone who went to public school K-12 in PG), the people who send their kids to private schools do so to avoid them associating with knuckleheads. I get why they do it and I don't fault them for it. If you're zoned to a school with a lot of kids who are more knucklehead than studious, and their parents don't care much about curbing the behavior, your child may not have the best focus on learning if teachers are spending half the class disciplining and writing up students.

For me, I'd rather just move to a neighborhood zoned to a better school or have them enrolled in some kind of gifted or magnet program (which may be only slightly better), before paying for private school. Not everyone is willing to just up and leave though (which is why your long term housing should factor in schools as well).

Last edited:
So my daughter is 2, eventually shell be attending school. My dad offers to pay for her private school tuition and it got me thinking is the private school route worth it? I need help bros, Ive been in public school all my life so i have no experience with private school life.

Sidenote:Btw im in pg county,md

Send her to private school.

/thread

But srsly. My sister went to a private school, while myself, 5 years older, went to PG public schools. She was much more focused, and well prepared for college than I was.

The attention to the students needs are more direct and more focused in private school. PG County public schools are horrible fam. Im not putting my son in them tbh.

I know first hand the reflection of private versus public schooling in PG county.

Now don't get me wrong, I wasn't a HS dropout or an underachiever, but there wasn't as much of a push or emphasis on my performance as an individual in PG public schooling. Half the time, the regular staff teachers acted as if they were just substitute teachers. The fights, the security checks before school in the morning, **** was horrible.

But at a pre k-8 level, there shouldn't be too drastic of a difference. Especially earlier on. She still may get more attention in a private school.

My average class size coming up was nearly 25 students. It was much lower for my sister in private school. So the 1 on 1 advantages were there if a student needed help or attention directly from the teacher.

I highly suggest you put your daughter in private school if you can afford it.

Last edited:
Really depends on where you live. I grew up in one of the worst neighborhoods in San Francisco (at the time),so my parents sacrificed a lot to send me to a private school. Even when they made money and moved us to a good, new neighborhood in the suburbs of San Jose, the schools were still hood as @#$@ in that area because all the well off/educated families hadn't moved there yet, so they ended up forcing me to go back to a private high school after 3 years of public school :lol:. However, over the past 10 years, tons of those families I mentioned have moved to the area, and their kids have made the public schools 100x better than before, so there's no point in sending your kids to private school anymore.

I'm not really happy with how that worked though. It's sad that no one really gave a @#$@ about improving the public schools until people with money started moving in. So many kids back then could have benefited from the new facilities, computers, books, etc that current students get regularly; instead, those kids were neglected, and the high schools in the area were basically prep schools for juvenile hall :smh:

Last edited:
Where I'm from the public schools consider kids that are three grade levels behind their current grade their in as being " satisfactory". When i have kids I will do whatever I have to so they never go to public school in this city.

Public school >>>

Some private schools will pass you just because u are promptly paying the overpriced tuition. Your kids will be in trouble if they transfer or go to college

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom