Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained (a Spaghetti Western) scheduled for release Christmas 2012

How about we not just assume, that this is gonna be that type of movie from the TRAILER. Some people get in their own way :smh:

how exactly am i making a big assumption here? a single slave’s quest for revenge. of course, he cannot do it without the help of a white character who promises django his freedom after

as i recall, in history there were many slave revolts, and they didn't need to consult a white abolitionist to do it

you can say i'm reaching if you want, but hollywood always finds a way to incorporate a white savior archetype into the retelling of black history

Last edited:
This isn't a retelling of black history

it's basically the same movie as inglorious basterds but you replace jews with blacks. It's a revenge fantasy not Roots. This isn't a historical documentary

Brad Pitt wasn't a Jew, so I guess all the Jews were dependent on the white christian to mobilize them and hatch a plot. Without him they would have been helpless,

This isn't a retelling of black history

it's basically the same movie as inglorious basterds but you replace jews with blacks. It's a revenge fantasy not Roots. This isn't a historical documentary

Brad Pitt wasn't a Jew, so I guess all the Jews were dependent on the white christian to mobilize them and hatch a plot. Without him they would have been helpless,

brad pitt wasn't the one who orchestrated a plan to kill hitler in a movie theater though

you're right, this isn't a historical documentary, it's revisionist history. so that means tarantino had countless options with django; but he went with the most obvious, uninventive choice here

Last edited:
I can understand you see it as uninventive. Django could have somehow escaped and saved Christopher Waltz instead

But revisionist histroy is reaching. It's obviously fiction. Nobody should be gathering facts about slavery from this movie

I can understand you see it as uninventive. Django could have somehow escaped and saved Christopher Waltz instead

But revisionist histroy is reaching. It's obviously fiction. Nobody should be gathering facts about slavery from this movie

it's not just this movie though, the reinforcement of the whole narrative that nonwhites cannot accomplish anything on their own has been repeated many times throughout the years in hollywood

it's just a bit lame to me, considering tarantino is supposed to be this edgy director or whatever

but i guess white savior/interracial buddy films puts white butts in seats

Last edited:
a single slave’s quest for revenge. of course, he cannot do it without the help of a white character who promises django his freedom after

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just say you didn't read the script and you're just guessing. Do that for me will ya? :lol:

A single slaves quest for revenge. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yup, you got this movie NAILED, just from the preview. Regular Sherlock you are brother.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Just say you didn't read the script and you're just guessing. Do that for me will ya? :lol:
A single slaves quest for revenge. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Yup, you got this movie NAILED, just from the preview. Regular Sherlock you are brother.

tell me where i'm wrong then, please enlighten me

EDIT: and with that statement, i was really just stating my impression of what i thought the movie was being presented as. my whole argument is that it's NOT that

Last edited:
I can't tell you without spoiling the whole movie, my point is read the script, it's out there, believe me I know, I read it, and so did Noskey, he's also in this thread saying for people to read it before coming to conclusions.

And since when does Quentin ever do anything "normal" anyways? :lol: His name alone should tell you to maybe be a bit patient and enjoy the show.

I can't tell you without spoiling the whole movie, my point is read the script, it's out there, believe me I know, I read it, and so did Noskey, he's also in this thread saying for people to read it before coming to conclusions.
And since when does Quentin ever do anything "normal" anyways? :lol: His name alone should tell you to maybe be a bit patient and enjoy the show.

i have read the script, and honestly for most of the movie django just plays a sidekick to be honest. the end was hardly gratifying.

from what i understand though, qt changed the ending once they started filming, so yeah i could be completely off, but this is just my impression from what is currently known.

Last edited:
Some news about Django Unchained. Some notes from an interview Tarantino recently did...

http://collider.com/quentin-tarantino-django-unchained-will-smith/211335/

Quentin Tarantino Talks DJANGO UNCHAINED, Who Turned Down the Title Role, Quitting the Business, Drug Assisted Creativity & More

Lucky for you, I read Playboy (for the articles…) or I never would have come across this interview with visionary director Quentin Tarantino where he talks candidly about all things Django Unchained. Early on, it was reported that Will Smith was in talks for the title role, but passed on the offer for a number of reasons. But did you know that Tarantino also considered Idris Elba (Thor), Chris Tucker (Rush Hour), Terrence Howard (Iron Man) and more, but once he met Jamie Foxx, it was all over? Perhaps you’re worried about Tarantino’s plans to leave filmmaking before he’s an “old man,” or you’re curious to see if you’ve got what it takes to fit his idea for a “perfect wife.” Well, all those answers and more await you after the jump!

In a recent interview with Playboy (via EW), Tarantino spoke at length about Django Unchained and his career in general. Click the link to read the full interview or check out the December issue of Playboy available starting November 20th. We have some of the highlights below, starting with Tarantino’s initial choice of Smith for the lead:

“We spent quite a few hours together over a weekend when he was in New York doing Men in Black III. …I think half the process was an excuse for us to hang out and spend time with one another. …It just wasn’t 100 percent right, and we didn’t have time to try to make it that way.”

An interesting fact about Foxx came up while Tarantino talked about the casting process:

“I met six different actors and had extensive meetings with all of them, and I went in-depth on all of their work. Idris Elba, Chris Tucker, Terrence Howard, M.K. Williams [from HBO's Boardwalk Empire], Tyrese. They all appreciated the material, and I was going to put them through the paces, make them go off against one another and kind of put up an obstacle course. And then I met Jamie and realized I didn’t need to do that.” So what was it about Foxx that led Tarantino to cast him? “He was the cowboy… Forget the fact that he has his own horse — and that is actually his horse in the movie. He’s from Texas; he understands. …He understood what it’s like to be thought of as an ‘other.’”

Tarantino also commented on who he originally wrote the Calvin Candie role for, and it wasn’t Leonardo DiCaprio:

“I don’t want to say who, simply because when I finished the script, I realized they were a little older than I wanted the character to be. That’s a problem I have. I’ll be thinking about somebody and not take into account that I’m thinking of them from 20 years ago.”

On quitting making movies:

“I just don’t want to be an old-man filmmaker. I want to stop at a certain point. Directors don’t get better as they get older. Usually the worst films in their filmography are those last four at the end. I am all about my filmography, and one bad film f—s up three good ones…But if I stop at 10, that would be okay as an artistic statement.”

Most importantly, on the influence of drugs on the creative process:

“I wouldn’t do anything impaired while making a movie. I don’t so much write high, but say you’re thinking about a musical sequence. You smoke a joint, you put on some music, you listen to it and you come up with some good ideas.…I don’t need pot to write, but it’s kind of cool.”

Tarantinophiles, be sure to check out the full interview for much more from the acclaimed director. Be sure to check out Django Unchained when it rides into theaters this Christmas.

Just went through the movie website. I'm so hype right now. Seems like the soundtrack will live up to Tarantino's standards.

Tarantino's soundtracks are kind of an under appreciated aspect of his films. He definitely knows how to set moods for this flicks with the music he selects or has composed. Repped jQQQQQ...

Last edited:
Tarantino's soundtracks are kind of an under appreciated aspect of his films. He definitely knows how to set moods for this flicks with the music he selects or has composed. Repped jQQQQQ...

IDK about that one friend.. I think most fans enjoy his song selections and casual watchers subconsciously appreciate the selections. "Misirlou" is synonymous with Pulp Fiction; "Bang Bang" during the credits of Kill Bill was BEYOND perfect; "Didn't I" being played several times in Jackie Brown..

maybe I hone in on these details more-so since I'm a huge music junkie, but yes, I full-heartedly agree that he definitely sets the mood with the music. I remember reading that he would scrap the whole opening scene of Kill Bill if he couldn't get the rights to use Bang Bang

IDK about that one friend.. I think most fans enjoy his song selections and casual watchers subconsciously appreciate the selections. "Misirlou" is synonymous with Pulp Fiction; "Bang Bang" during the credits of Kill Bill was BEYOND perfect; "Didn't I" being played several times in Jackie Brown..

maybe I hone in on these details more-so since I'm a huge music junkie, but yes, I full-heartedly agree that he definitely sets the mood with the music. I remember reading that he would scrap the whole opening scene of Kill Bill if he couldn't get the rights to use Bang Bang

I agree with almost everything you said. I think only music junkies like you & I appreciate what QT puts together...Malaguena Salerosa is one of my favorite end credits song of all time....My wife laughs because I love blasting this song on road trips...My 8 year old loves it because he likes Kill Bill (when it's on Spike) but hates it because it's in Spanish & thinks I'm weird for playing it....

edit - just in case people didn't know, this version of the song was done by Robert Rodriguez's band Chingon...

Last edited:
New action packed trailer...Also including the link incase NT won't embed the link...

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/djang...-unchained-theatrical-trailer-2-31228172.html

The track list for the soundtrack has been released...

1. WINGED
2. DJANGO (MAIN THEME) – LUIS BACALOV, ROCKY ROBERTS
3. THE BRAYING MULE – ENNIO MORRICONE
4. IN THAT CASE, DJANGO, AFTER YOU…
5. LO CHIAMAVANO KING (HIS NAME IS KING) – LUIS BACALOV, EDDA DELL’ORSO
6. FREEDOM – ANTHONY HAMILTON & ELAYNA BOYNTON
7. FIVE-THOUSAND-DOLLAR *****’S AND GUMMY MOUTH *******
8. LA CORSA (2ND VERSION) – LUIS BACALOV
9. SNEAKY SCHULTZ AND THE DEMISE OF SHARP
10. I GOT A NAME – JIM CROCE
11. I GIORNI DELL’IRA – RIZ ORTOLANI
12. 100 BLACK COFFINS – RICK ROSS
13. NICARAGUA – JERRY GOLDSMITH FEATURING PAT METHENY
14. HILDI’S HOT BOX
15. SISTER SARA’S THEME – ENNIO MORRICONE
16. ANCORA QUI – ENNIO MORRICONE AND ELISA
17. UNCHAINED (THE PAYBACK/UNTOUCHABLE) – JAMES BROWN AND 2PAC
18. WHO DID THAT TO YOU? – JOHN LEGEND
19. TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG – BROTHER DEGE
20. STEPHEN THE POKER PLAYER
21. UN MONUMENTO – ENNIO MORRICONE
22. SIX SHOTS TWO GUNS
23. TRINITY (TITOLI) – ANNIBALE E I CANTORI MODERNI

Last edited:
Nice pics MrONegative. Love the Kerry Washington close up. There is something about her...

Saw these vids from Playlist's website. I know QT can be temperamental so who knows if he means it but he said he probably won't do Kill Bill 3...

Quentin Tarantino Talks Django History & Influence

Quentin Tarantino Shares His Three Most Influential Films

Quentin Tarantino On Meeting Terry Gilliam & The Sundance Institute

damn, Quentin Tarantino is looking old :frown: [random post]

can't wait for this movie though :pimp:

edit, just noticed the wu-wear hoody he's wearing :lol: :pimp:

Last edited:
The American Film Institute already named DU one of the 10 best movies of the year.

http://www.afi.com/afiawards/

Indie Wire (The Playlist) also had 3 different reviewers rate the movie. It was a pretty interesting read...

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...ifferent-reviews-of-django-unchained-20121212

Repped you right back Tr1ll...Hope you like the flick.

Some trivia for you guys, Tony Scott (RIP) allegedly paid QT $1 mil to either write or rewrite the script for Crimson Tide starring Denzel Washington & Gene Hackman but was never credited. One of the scenes that sounds distinctively like QT is the argument over the Jack Kirby or Moebius Silver Surfer.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom