Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained (a Spaghetti Western) scheduled for release Christmas 2012

Name another movie about slavery that has characters using the word every other word.  I'll wait.  I've seen some hateful scenes in movies, I've seen it use alot but for a whole 2 hours and some change is unique.  Why is that?  If QT is being historically accurate why hasn't another movie used similar dialogue? There's plenty of other movies about slavery out there. Are you saying they aren't historically accurate?
I don't think that using other films as the standard of historical accuracy is a good way to defend your point. It's obviously a very delicate subject so perhaps other filmmakers were less generous with the word in order to avoid the negative reaction that Tarantino is receiving right now.
So because other slavery films didn't do it, it didn't happen that way?  Your logic is rather flawed, sir.  But PLVN already told you that.  

Name another movie about slavery that has characters using the word every other word.  I'll wait.  I've seen some hateful scenes in movies, I've seen it use alot but for a whole 2 hours and some change is unique.  Why is that?  If QT is being historically accurate why hasn't another movie used similar dialogue? There's plenty of other movies about slavery out there. Are you saying they aren't historically accurate?
I don't think that using other films as the standard of historical accuracy is a good way to defend your point. It's obviously a very delicate subject so perhaps other filmmakers were less generous with the word in order to avoid the negative reaction that Tarantino is receiving right now.
So because other slavery films didn't do it, it didn't happen that way?  Your logic is rather flawed, sir.  But PLVN already told you that.  
So what you are saying is Quentin Tarantino is the first film maker to fully and accurately portray the language of the slavery era? No other film maker has done their research and grabbed the essence of slavery era speech until 2012?  Do you really believe that? 

Why can't I use other films as a standard of historical accuracy?  If I said oh that movie Menace II Society has too much shooting in the movie then you could say here are several other examples of this.  If i said oh that war movie has soldiers doing drugs and its not accurate...you could show me alot of other movies where they are doing drugs.  How come when I ask for another slavery era movie to have the same type of language you can't find me one? Maybe thats because the language wasn't historically accurate and it is a product of QT's imagination and motives. 

You guys tell me whats more believable?  QT went overboard with the n-word or QT is the first film maker in history to accurately portray slavery era language.....

Last edited:
Dude's entire argument is "no other film had the cajones to do it". What the hell does natural dialogue between a slave master and a slave sound like. I'm curious? :\

Quentin Tarantino to Follow Basterds and Django with Killer Crow?

About black troops who go on an Apache warpath.

Quentin Tarantino's Inglorious Basterds was a big hit three years ago, earning $321 million worldwide, and now it looks like Django Unchained is also doing very well at the box office. So what might the filmmaker be looking to do next? Something that is actually related to both of the above films.

Speaking to The Root, Tarantino said that "there's something about this that would suggest a trilogy. My original idea for Inglourious Basterds way back when was that this [would be] a huge story that included the [smaller] story that you saw in the film, but also followed a bunch of black troops, and they had been f--ked over by the American military and kind of go apes--t. They basically -- the way Lt. Aldo Raines (Brad Pitt) and the Basterds are having an "Apache resistance" -- [the] black troops go on an Apache warpath and kill a bunch of white soldiers and white officers on a military base and are just making a warpath to Switzerland."

He added: "So that was always going to be part of it. And I was going to do it as a miniseries, and that was going to be one of the big storylines. When I decided to try to turn it into a movie, that was a section I had to take out to help tame my material. I have most of that written. It's ready to go; I just have to write the second half of it.

"That would be the third of the trilogy. It would be [connected to] Inglourious Basterds, too, because Inglourious Basterds are in it, but it is about the soldiers. It would be called Killer Crow or something like that."

When asked when the film would be set, Tarantino said in 1944, after Normandy.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=98419

Tarantino has been known to use the word excessively in movies that aren't about slavery.....so now when he does a movie about slavery and uses the word over 100 times he's "accurate"?  Come on I'm not saying he's racist, I'm not saying the movie is horrible. But lets be serious.  Don't be fooled or don't be stubborn and believe that type of language and speech was the norm.  I'm not buying that whole "he's the only one to have the balls to tell the truth" act.  Doesn't add up.

ok powerballin we get it. tarantino uses the word because he thinks its fun to do it and push his racist agenda.

he is a despicable person and we as a people need to boycott this film if you have any respect for the african american culture.

happy?

moving on... :rolleyes

KKK scene was in fact hilarious.

:lol: at dudes talking about how hard his wife worked to make the masks

Last edited:
So what you are saying is Quentin Tarantino is the first film maker to fully and accurately portray the language of the slavery era? No other film maker has done their research and grabbed the essence of slavery era speech until 2012?  Do you really believe that? 

Why can't I use other films as a standard of historical accuracy?  If I said oh that movie Menace II Society has too much shooting in the movie then you could say here are several other examples of this.  If i said oh that war movie has soldiers doing drugs and its not accurate...you could show me alot of other movies where they are doing drugs.  How come when I ask for another slavery era movie to have the same type of language you can't find me one? Maybe thats because the language wasn't historically accurate and it is a product of QT's imagination and motives. 

You guys tell me whats more believable?  QT went overboard with the n-word or QT is the first film maker in history to accurately portray slavery era language.....
Show me a slavery movie that doesn't have the same type of language that you KNOW is historically accurate.  If you can do that and can back it up, you win.  

My whole point is that YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IS HISTORICALLY ACCURATE UNLESS YOU LIVED IT.  You can't use past films as a historical reference--unless of course, you can prove that those films are indeed historically accurate.

Also, the difference between you and me is that I'm not claiming that anything is or isn't historically accurate.  All I know is that the word WAS used back when slavery was widespread in the deep South.  How often, I have no damn idea.  Therefore, whether it was used once or 500 times in Django makes absolutely no difference to me.  The word was used in real life.  We know what it meant when rolling of the tongues of a slave owner.  I'm not scared of that word and it doesn't offend me in the least that Tarantino decided to portray the vernacular of that era the way he did.  

Last edited:
I kinda noticed that too...White people were going :rofl: while I was like :D

Im Puerto Rican btw.

different cultures different up bringings. I doubt it is anything more than that. Everyone is trying to throw this racist veil over everyone for not being cautious at every laugh.

As a black man I first empathize with an ignorant african american woman who can barely grasp proper english and simply is an obedient slave listening to every command tossed at her.

there were very distinct dialogues.

that of a slave

that of an "uppidity" better than the rest slave

that of an educated african american

that of a slave master.

that of a white living amongst a lifestyle he disagrees with.

I feel like a lot of you really lack life experience as the people in this era has died out. but louis ck also did an episode of his grandma that relates to people brought up in this lifestyle. I've had family members and friends of family members both white and black that are still living or have lived in their 70-80s- and 90s. A blind retired lady who I know through her actions was definitely not racist, but the first time I met her I hated everything about her and wanted nothing more to do with her. But the sad truth is the way she talks is just the era she grew up in, and yes that included throwing n-bombs out when hearing rap music she disapproved of on the television or radio.

it's like if someone did a film 50 years later about the current generation and you're going to sit here and say teens and everyone who says "That's gay" or calling people the "f word" were hateful towards homosexuals. And the more they said it the more they meant they hated homosexuals. And you're going to act like people don't call stuff gay left and right if you went to recess or a highschool lunch table. :rolleyes

Last edited:
hes kinda got a point about tarantino.  i havent seen this movie yet but i remember how unnecessary it was in pulp fiction.

Show me a slavery movie that doesn't have the same type of language that you KNOW is historically accurate.  If you can do that and can back it up, you win.  

My whole point is that YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT IS HISTORICALLY ACCURATE UNLESS YOU LIVED IT.  You can't use past films as a historical reference--unless of course, you can prove that those films are indeed historically accurate.

Also, the difference between you and me is that I'm not claiming that anything is or isn't historically accurate.  All I know is that the word WAS used back when slavery was widespread in the deep South.  How often, I have no damn idea.  Therefore, whether it was used once or 500 times in Django makes absolutely no difference to me.  The word was used in real life.  We know what it meant when rolling of the tongues of a slave owner.  I'm not scared of that word and it doesn't offend me in the least that Tarantino decided to portray the vernacular of that era the way he did.  
I disagree. Also if nobody can be sure about the historical accuracy how can Tarantino say "This is how it was back then and if anybody disagrees they are wrong" in his defense when questioned by media?

If the word was used so sparingly in those times, why does it appear so frequently in the literature from that era?
Never said it was used sparingly tho.  I said it wasn't used every other word like in the film.

The n-word was used and so were a list of other slurs I could list but I'd get banned
laugh.gif

Imagine a conversations where the word is used in almost every sentence.  Come on fam.  People don't talk like that no matter what the word is.  Its not natural

7/10

Enjoyable but the ending was very lazy. 

And to anyone arguing against the use of the n-word in this movie needs not to be so sensitive.  

Last edited:

I disagree. Also if nobody can be sure about the historical accuracy how can Tarantino say "This is how it was back then and if anybody disagrees they are wrong" in his defense when questioned by media?
You disagree with what?  

Also, if nobody can be sure about the historical accuracy, how can YOU claim Tarantino went overboard and say "that isn't how they talked back then"?  See, it goes both ways.  

Just say "I don't like that this white dude decided to throw the N-bomb 100+ times in his movie" and be done with it.  Because you have NO factual basis for your argument.  None.  Zip.  Zero.  Nada.  

Last edited:
Yall still letting him troll you?
He doesn't have a point.
He only reads maybe a sentence out of every paragraph you type.

He's just ignoring any of the details of what you're saying, because he doesn't understand, doesn't care or just wants to keep arguing.

I disagree with those who believe the speech and use of the word in this movie is historically accurate.  I guess that's you, Anton, Tarantino and whoever else.

When I notice every movie in history to date, everything I've learned in school/college, everything I've learned on my own time doesn't match what I see on the Django screen I have questions.  Then when you add in that this same movie is made by the same guy who has caught flack before for using the word in non-slavery movies it makes me think.  Then when I see the type of person he is in interviews and how he speaks and interacts with the "black culture" it puts the icing on the cake. 

In my opinion he made up his own slavery era world to make a controversial movie and used his own sense of humor to tell his story.  That has nothing to do with historical accuracy.  It has to do with what Tarantino has going on in his brain and in his heart. 

different cultures different up bringings. I doubt it is anything more than that. Everyone is trying to throw this racist veil over everyone for not being cautious at every laugh.
As a black man I first empathize with an ignorant african american woman who can barely grasp proper english and simply is an obedient slave listening to every command tossed at her.
there were very distinct dialogues.
that of a slave
that of an "uppidity" better than the rest slave
that of an educated african american
that of a slave master.
that of a white living amongst a lifestyle he disagrees with.
I feel like a lot of you really lack life experience as the people in this era has died out. but louis ck also did an episode of his grandma that relates to people brought up in this lifestyle. I've had family members and friends of family members both white and black that are still living or have lived in their 70-80s- and 90s. A blind retired lady who I know through her actions was definitely not racist, but the first time I met her I hated everything about her and wanted nothing more to do with her. But the sad truth is the way she talks is just the era she grew up in, and yes that included throwing n-bombs out when hearing rap music she disapproved of on the television or radio.
it's like if someone did a film 50 years later about the current generation and you're going to sit here and say teens and everyone who says "That's gay" or calling people the "f word" were hateful towards homosexuals. And the more they said it the more they meant they hated homosexuals. And you're going to act like people don't call stuff gay left and right if you went to recess or a highschool lunch table. :rolleyes

I know that things were different in those times. I've met older white people that say mad racist **** just because it was acceptable in their day. That doesn't explain the group of white teens laughing hysterically or the white senior citizens. I loved the film and I'll probably buy it. All I'm saying was, it was disturbing how many white people were laughing in unison during tasteless scenes. My girl wasn't happy and neither was I. She's black, I'm Puerto Rican.

I disagree with those who believe the speech and use of the word in this movie is historically accurate.  I guess that's you, Anton, Tarantino and whoever else.

When I notice every movie in history to date, everything I've learned in school/college, everything I've learned on my own time doesn't match what I see on the Django screen I have questions.  Then when you add in that this same movie is made by the same guy who has caught flack before for using the word in non-slavery movies it makes me think.  Then when I see the type of person he is in interviews and how he speaks and interacts with the "black culture" it puts the icing on the cake. 

In my opinion he made up his own slavery era world to make a controversial movie and used his own sense of humor to tell his story.  That has nothing to do with historical accuracy.  It has to do with what Tarantino has going on in his brain and in his heart. 
Here's what I wrote:
Also, the difference between you and me is that I'm not claiming that anything is or isn't historically accurate. 
Clearly you're just trolling at this point.  Next time you want to go back and forth, feel free to read and retain what the other person wrote before replying.  It just makes you look foolish.  That said.....

Yes.No.Duh.

I suspect powerballins depiction of slavery will be like uncle ruckus' in boondocks. Stop having so much fun, drinking watermelon juice and singing negro spirituals.

Somehow his own idea of a slavery movie is more than anybody else's cause he owns a time machine.

Last edited:
If the word was used so sparingly in those times, why does it appear so frequently in the literature from that era?

Never said it was used sparingly tho.  I said it wasn't used every other word like in the film.

The n-word was used and so were a list of other slurs I could list but I'd get banned :lol:  

Imagine a conversations where the word is used in almost every sentence.  Come on fam.  People don't talk like that no matter what the word is.  Its not natural

It wasn't used every other word though that's an exaggeration :lol: Like I said before tho, Huck Finn written in 1885 from the perspective of a little kid had the n-word 220+ times, that piece was written not too far from the time of the Civil War so the way it was used in Django was likely more accurate to the period. Unless you think Twain was using it for pure shock value as well, because he actually lived through a large portion of the slavery era. The point, I think, is to make you uncomfortable with hearing it, and seeing the vitriol and hatred along with the abuse and dehumanizing aspects on screen...you shouldn't watch a slavery movie and be entirely comfortable through it. I'd be more upset if he didn't use that type of language and tried to sugar coat what happened and make it feel more cozy, and pleasing to our ears, we're supposed to hate DiCaprio's character and Sam's as well to an extent.

Seems like some of ya'll cant have a simple debate or discussion about a controversial movie without acting like fools. 

Trife, I'm not only talking to you personally considering you and others have asked me questions or questioned my comments.  Second if you aren't claiming IT is or ISN'T historically accurate then what are you even talking about?  Where do you stand in this discussion?  Anton and others said they agree with QT and this dialogue is historically accurate.  If you don't care or have an opinion why are you even talking to me? 

You say I have no factual evidence yet NO OTHER MOVIE IN HISTORY has had characters speak like this.  Hmmmm I'd say that's some type of evidence right there. 

You and MRNegative are so thirsty to try and call "troll" on somebody that doesn't agree with you instead of have a decent discussion.  Grow up homie.

interesting read:

http://cityarts.info/2012/12/28/still-not-a-brother/

In Django Unchained Jackson is to Tarantino what Stepin Fetchit was to John Ford–the actor who personifies his director’s sense of the Other. This is not an alter-ego thing; it transfers detachment into “sympathy.” Roles like Jules in Pulp Fiction, Ordell in Jackie Brown and now Stephen the ultimate Uncle Tom display Jackson’s patented shamelessness–his "N word" Jim flair. Jackson reverses the anger that 70s black militants felt toward the Uncle Tom figure into an actorly endorsement. He embodies the dangerous Negro stereotypes harbored by Tarantino and every Huck Finn wannabe.

That, essentially, is the transgression on view in Django Unchained. This pseudo (not neo-) Blaxploitation film about a freed slave (Jamie Foxx) who goes on a killing spree with a psychopathic bounty hunter (Christoph Waltz) two years before the Civil War (rendering that conflict unnecessary) offers a pointless jamboree of disparate sentimental, anachronistic and absurd elements; it seems aimless until Jackson’s Uncle Tom eventually shows up and galvanizes all Q.T.‘s hostile silliness.....

There’s no mistaking the division of labor or social/racial hierarchies preserved in Jackson-Tarantino’s spectacle: Tarantino uses a gray-haired, wily Jackson with a deceptive limp and mean scowl to fulfill his white hipster’s fanciful reinterpretation of social history. Through Jackson, QT gets to remake the cultural world he didn’t grow up in (complete with incongruous pop songs) and enjoy how its dangers and excesses effect a subordinate. Brazenly inauthentic, Django Unchained is unmistakably QT’s vision–trivializing slavery’s true deep treachery–and it’s an impersonal, privileged vision.

Last edited:

The n-word was used and so were a list of other slurs I could list but I'd get banned
laugh.gif

It wasn't used every other word though that's an exaggeration
laugh.gif
Like I said before tho, Huck Finn written in 1885 from the perspective of a little kid had the n-word 220+ times, that piece was written not too far from the time of the Civil War so the way it was used in Django was likely more accurate to the period. Unless you think Twain was using it for pure shock value as well, because he actually lived through a large portion of the slavery era. The point, I think, is to make you uncomfortable with hearing it, and seeing the vitriol and hatred along with the abuse and dehumanizing aspects on screen...you shouldn't watch a slavery movie and be entirely comfortable through it. I'd be more upset if he didn't use that type of language and tried to sugar coat what happened and make it feel more cozy, and pleasing to our ears, we're supposed to hate DiCaprio's character and Sam's as well to an extent.
When did I say the use of the word made me uncomfortable?  When did I say that?  I said I dont agree with the speech and amount of times it was used because I don't believe people talk like that.  Do you understand that or do you want to make up things?  I've seen other movies from this era and NONE sound like this.  It has nothing to do with me being sensitive or whatever you are trying to imply.

Back
Top Bottom