Quentin Tarantino's Django Unchained (a Spaghetti Western) scheduled for release Christmas 2012

Some thoughts I wrote up in another thread.

Before I forget to bring this up, QT naming the character Dr. King.......am I to believe that was merely a coincidence? Nothing ever is in that man's world.

For this instance, I wish I had no read the script. It took away all my surprise. And here's what tells me this movie was still amazing, I was still enthralled, edge of my seat, anxious, and excited for every single sequence. The man is artistically without peer. The ******* were setting dishes on the table, and the scenes were "beautiful". And I hate saying artsy stuffy crap like that about movies, like The Artist, etc. But when he does things, that's how I view it. Every detail, flawless. The way his characters annunciate their words, precisely, carefully, all of it I credit to Q. He misses nothing.

The man shot a scene from Jamie Foxx's nutsack, and it wasn't weird, or dirty, or forced, it somehow.....fit. I don't know how else ot give the guy credit than that.

Now, WHY we have to film a scene from a dudes teabag, that I don't know, but he did manage it, and made it seem to fit somehow. That's where the credit belongs.

Waltz. God damn. This guy has been one helluva gem for Tarantino to find. He was PERFECT as the sort of narrator for the movie, his dialogue was perfect, he set the tone, the way he always explained every detail like not coming out of the bar til he has the word of the Marshall that they will not be shot, asking for permission to reach into his coat, he took the time to deliver every single word with purpose. Fantastic.
Loved how he did not understand slavery, or even treat Django one iota less than himself, the only problem I did have was him admitting that unfortunately, because he needed Django's help, he was sort of, a servant to him. I wish QT could have re-worded that somehow, would have given King's character a more perfect, honest look at slaves. Treating them better than most whites is fine, but still using one for your purpose is not all that much different, ya know? And I felt like that blurred line could have been removed.

Speaking of removed, there was a bigger scene taken out of the script, when we first meet Candie, some other guy that fell in love with one of the pony's, and ultimately tries to take Candie down. I wonder why that part was removed, then he added the KKK wardrobe malfunction, which was hilarious.

Foxx was OUTSTANDING, and **** a Will Smith for bein a vag and not takin this role. Better for us. Foxx blends in so well. I imagine, if I saw Will, I would think Fresh Prince, or Bad Boys, or somethin. I looked at Foxx, and never once saw Ray, or Any Given Sunday, or Wanda, nothing. I saw Django. He played that part perfectly.

Watching Leo and Sam fuss back and forth was incredible, and maybe my favorite overall scene was after Sam yellin and cussin, he walks away, and Leo is sort of laughin to his lawyer, and says he's getting worse and worse out here, it looked so genuine, like it wasn't even Candie there, that was Leo takin a sec to laugh to himself how great Sam was doin. Sam was ALL OVER everybody in this movin, an annoying pain in the *** know it all, but he played it perfect. Leo was so smooth, damn near went back to his Titanic manners and speach patterns, you could tell he was just enjoying being there, conversing with King, dueling with Sam, you could see he was just having fun.

One scene I was not clear on, and I tried to watch it carefully, Leo actually cut his hand in the scene, for real? Or was that accidental? I couldn't tell, but Leo does in fact steal a glance at his hand, almost like "oh ****" and then just kept actin. Anyone know what that was about, he method actin that for some reason? Edit, had this answered for me, it was an accident and he kept going.

Broomhilda was literally the only character wasted, which is a shock to me, given how great Tarantino is with female roles (usually). But she was nothing but a memory to Django the whole time, a ghost in a field. Her lines were meaningless, the only part she had with any feel was of course the whipping scene, and that.........was hard to watch. That scene, you could feel how horrible that era must have been. I saw someone mention something about forcing Django to look at her back, as a way of saying that we should all look "back" at that era, and learn from our mistakes, if that is truly what he intended, and again, nothing he does is ever coincidence imo, then that was a great way at doing it.

The last half hour, I laughed when it all began. From Django Til Dawn broke out, minus the vamps, but once again he goes from normal outstanding movie with dialogue and sets, and incredible acting, and breaks it down to a gunfight where gallons of blood shoot into midair from a single gunshot wound. I swear he does it to **** with critics. I'm me, I can do what I want ************!

I look forward to landin this on Blu Ray, and really learning all the nuances I am sure that I missed. At some point, I will sit thru all QT, and really rank how they fit. But it is clear, this man is the best. He never wastes a scene, he ALWAYS gets the best from his cast, and visually, he is above anyone, even with all their computers and CGI, he does it real. And better.

I damn near want them to give him Star Wars, let him imagine some scenery, and let him introduce blood to the galaxy, he damn near would do it better than anyone else, I'd bet anything on it.

The movie was great, not to mention seeing Kerry topless
eek.gif

Nice post CP1708...I saw an interview with Jamie Foxx & Kerry Washington where they said Leo cutting his hand was by accident. He didn't want to stop shooting because he was in the middle of his lines. They said the looks on everyone on the set were crazy because his hand was pretty bloody...

Nice post CP1708...I saw an interview with Jamie Foxx & Kerry Washington where they said Leo cutting his hand was by accident. He didn't want to stop shooting because he was in the middle of his lines. They said the looks on everyone on the set were crazy because his hand was pretty bloody...

Damn...that's dedication.

I caught that immediately, leaned over to my wife and said that I bet that wasn't scripted. He had a pretty big ring on smashed the hell out of that table.

And then the face rub on Kerry :x :x :x :smokin

GREAT SCENE!

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118062924/

Leonardo DiCaprio in 'Django Unchained'
Eye on the Oscars: The Actor - Supporting Actor Contender
By KATE HAHN

Leonardo DiCaprio has brought many complicated heroes to life on screen but he never played a bad-*** villain. Until now.

In his first film with director Quentin Tarantino, "Django Unchained," set two years before the Civil War, he is plantation owner Calvin Candie, who presides over "Candyland" where slaves are forced to fight for sport.

"Quentin has this great tradition of villains in his films and Calvin Candie is one of the most vibrant he's ever created," says producer Stacey Sher. "Leonardo didn't shy away from playing all of the different facets of a truly horrible human being."

The actor and director had admired each other's work for years and excitedly put their heads together to build the character.

"They collaborated on different aspects of Calvin to round him out as a character," Sher says.

While looking for historical sources to help illuminate what might have motivated his character, DiCaprio found a book on phrenology, a racist pseudo-science of the era, and gave it to Tarantino, who incorporated it into the text.

"Their collaboration raised the stakes and made for an exciting atmosphere on set," Sher says.

One scene in particular stands out.

"Leo had slammed his hand on the table countless times and he moved his hand further and he crushed a crystal cordial glass," Sher says. "Blood was dripping down his hand. He never broke character. He kept going. He was in such a zone. It was very intense. He required stitches."

That take is the one used in the final cut. It drew a standing ovation from the cast and the crew

"Not because he cut himself," Sher says. "Because in that scene he had pages and pages of monologue. His performance was masterful. His level of commitment is extraordinary.
"

Last edited:
No lie I figured that Leo had actually cut his hand it was just too realistic and out of place. :lol:

different cultures different up bringings. I doubt it is anything more than that. Everyone is trying to throw this racist veil over everyone for not being cautious at every laugh.
As a black man I first empathize with an ignorant african american woman who can barely grasp proper english and simply is an obedient slave listening to every command tossed at her.
there were very distinct dialogues.
that of a slave
that of an "uppidity" better than the rest slave
that of an educated african american
that of a slave master.
that of a white living amongst a lifestyle he disagrees with.
I feel like a lot of you really lack life experience as the people in this era has died out. but louis ck also did an episode of his grandma that relates to people brought up in this lifestyle. I've had family members and friends of family members both white and black that are still living or have lived in their 70-80s- and 90s. A blind retired lady who I know through her actions was definitely not racist, but the first time I met her I hated everything about her and wanted nothing more to do with her. But the sad truth is the way she talks is just the era she grew up in, and yes that included throwing n-bombs out when hearing rap music she disapproved of on the television or radio.
it's like if someone did a film 50 years later about the current generation and you're going to sit here and say teens and everyone who says "That's gay" or calling people the "f word" were hateful towards homosexuals. And the more they said it the more they meant they hated homosexuals. And you're going to act like people don't call stuff gay left and right if you went to recess or a highschool lunch table.
eyes.gif
I know that things were different in those times. I've met older white people that say mad racist **** just because it was acceptable in their day. That doesn't explain the group of white teens laughing hysterically or the white senior citizens. I loved the film and I'll probably buy it. All I'm saying was, it was disturbing how many white people were laughing in unison during tasteless scenes. My girl wasn't happy and neither was I. She's black, I'm Puerto Rican.
comedy is subjective

and alot of those same white folks were laughing at David chappelle at its prime.

can't address these issues without looking at that embeded resentment this society still has with white privilege and da dynamics of having a "hood pass"

comedy is subjective

and alot of those same white folks were laughing at David chappelle at its prime.

can't address these issues without looking at that embeded resentment this society still has with white privilege and da dynamics of having a "hood pass"

What does this have to do with anything he said? :lol:

comedy is subjective

What does this have to do with anything he said?
laugh.gif
remember good fellas? "do i amuse you" Schick? sometimes when people laugh it feels like they're laughing at you rather then with you, contexts aside, da movie is brilliant.

I saw the movie Friday night and just like I thought, it's not this black slave rebellion rise to power type film that it's marketed as.  As usual, Hollywood and Quentin Tarantino pushed their agenda, I just hope folks are able to pick up on that and some of the hidden messages.

absurd statement.

I saw the movie Friday night and just like I thought, it's not this black slave rebellion rise to power type film that it's marketed as.  As usual, Hollywood and Quentin Tarantino pushed their agenda, I just hope folks are able to pick up on that and some of the hidden messages.

:lol: @ this fake deep post. how was it marketed as that?

QT's been talking about this movie since Comic-Con 2011 (possibly earlier) explaining the plot: it's about 1 FREED SLAVE on a quest to RESCUE HIS WIFE FROM A PLANTATION. seems like YOU went in the theater expecting something different; it's called DJANGO UNCHAINED not ALL NEGROES DURING THE SLAVERY ERA UNCHAINED

Last edited:
I knew something was up with Leo's hand bleeding. What commitment to keep the scene and his monologue going, though. Beast. :lol:

Went to see it tonight and 
eek.gif
pimp.gif
 Rick Ross track in the middle of the movie got me hype. I swear after the movie I felt like ripping off my shirt and yelling, " WHO ELSE WANT SOME?!" But yeah. I'd do all that for Kerry Washington's fine ***, too. 

Fantastic Four kinda ruied Kerry Washington for me. Every time i seen her since FF it seems like she has that "im blind" look

Fantastic Four kinda ruied Kerry Washington for me. Every time i seen her since FF it seems like she has that "im blind" look

didn't she used to do comedy before?
I couldn't find anything I recognized from her wikipedia, but I recall her being "funny", like on talk soup maybe?
and I always remember she has a white husband, surprised no one brought this up and lumped it in with the rest of the "conspiracy theories"

ah, nvm
confused her with Aisha Tyler, who also has a white husband

Last edited:
I finally saw this earlier today.  Damn entertaining, though i do think it runs too long.

Samuel Jackson's Stephen character equals Uncles Ruckus from The Boondocks.
wink.gif

Christoper Waltz deserves another supporting actor Oscar.  The whole cast was superb.

Saw this yesterday. Loved it!!

Casting IMO was on point with one exception.

Only person I wasn't too impressed with was Samuel L. I got lost in everyone elses character but his.

Back
Top Bottom