Question in reference to OG Jordan's from the early 90's in regards to comfort..

I'm curious as far as the OG Jordan's from 3-8, did they feel like cardboard on the bottom of your feet like the current retro models now? This is for people who had the OG's back when they came out, or people who may still have the OG's in their possessions now. I ask this because I wore my Black/infrared 6's the other day and they feel like bricks on the bottom of my feet. It makes me think, "Did Jordan actually wear these feeling like this in 1991"? Like, did they actually feel like air under your foot in regards to cushioning? Just curious.

OGs were comfortable. Parents weren't rich, I had the privilege to own 4,5,6 and 8. They were nice, but not unreal like in some member's memories.

Last edited:
All of those models were very comfortable up until 2006-ish, JB stopped using the same open-cell PU midsole, the one that's crumbles after 5-6 years but holds paint very well, and went to a closed-cell PU midsole that's hard, heavy, and clunky. It won't crumble but it can't hold paint which is why so many of those model have paint cracking issues the originals and first retros didn't have.

Prime example, the wht/green and cool grey 4s from 2004, and the 2005 laser 4s are all comfy out of the box, but all of the 2006 4s are bricks.

Hope that answers your question :smile:

Last edited:
All of those models were very comfortable up until 2006-ish, JB stopped using the same open-cell PU midsole, the one that's crumbles after 5-6 years but holds paint very well, and went to a closed-cell PU midsole that's hard, heavy, and clunky. It won't crumble but it can't hold paint which is why so many of those model have paint cracking issues the originals and first retros didn't have.

Prime example, the wht/green and cool grey 4s from 2004, and the 2005 laser 4s are all comfy out of the box, but all of the 2006 4s are bricks.

Hope that answers your question :smile:

Very good info here. Repped

Hope that answers your question
smile.gif
I wonder if they made the switch for financial reasons or if they thought swapping comfort and crumbling for sturdiness, stiffness and paint chipping was worth it.

Doesn't seem worth it at all since most models are retroed by 5-6 years from previous release anyway.

Last edited:
It's still crazy because nike has produced painted midsole at that don't have the jb retro cracking we know of.

Like I ball in my jordan 2012s and the paint holds up fine. I wonder why they couldn't use that midsole as a comparable solution since there was a material change regardless.

When it comes to the deteriorating quality of JB retros and their seemingly apathy toward fixing the problems, is that if the product is going to sell out anyway, why change it? Why spend resources, time, and money improving a product whose flaws are just going to be ignored by the general public anyway. They have a proven track record being able to raise prices for the same or worse product over and over without losing sales. Why bother? Out of the good of their hearts? It's just not practical or necessary in this case.

Just unheard of.

Last edited:
When it comes to the deteriorating quality of JB retros and their seemingly apathy toward fixing the problems, is that if the product is going to sell out anyway, why change it? Why spend resources, time, and money improving a product whose flaws are just going to be ignored by the general public anyway. They have a proven track record being able to raise prices for the same or worse product over and over without losing sales. Why bother? Out of the good of their hearts? It's just not practical or necessary in this case.

Just unheard of.

Ehhhh I'm just saying, the research is already done. It's in the products. Makes me feel like that kinda stuff is just intentional that's all. Your comment made it like JB didn't spent any money anyways which it did to research the material switch.

Ehhhh I'm just saying, the research is already done. It's in the products. Makes me feel like that kinda stuff is just intentional that's all. Your comment made it like JB didn't spent any money anyways which it did to research the material switch.
Yeah I see what you're saying. It could be any number of reasons. Maybe they did see the crumbling as bigger issue than any paint chipping or that the reduction in comfort wasn't a significant one. Maybe they were just trying to find a way to cut costs. I just don't see how the trade off they made in the material switch was worth it other than this way was cheaper.

Last edited:
Yeah I see what you're saying. It could be any number of reasons. Maybe they did see the crumbling as bigger issue than any paint chipping or that the reduction in comfort wasn't a significant one. Maybe they were just trying to find a way to cut costs. I just don't see how the trade off they made in the material switch was worth it other than this way was cheaper.

Yea I agree on the profit margin stuff. I guess if you save 10 cents a pair and sell a 10 million pairs in a year then you make an extra mil. Def a business decision

I didnt have the early 90 Jordans, but the late 90s were great for its time. The early retros of the XI-XIV were even good in the early to mid 00's.

Now JB didnt use open cell polyurethane soles on those models, but still those retros even suck today.

It's funny that retros decline even with the innovative tech Nike is using on other models. A simple insole change could do wonders.

I think that it's 100% intentional. When JB releases a retro I think they're well aware of whether or not it will be crap or not. Way too much difference in how shoes of the same model released in the same year are holding up for them not to notice. They sprinkle releases here and there with quality construction and material just enough so that customers will gloss over the fact that 2 releases prior and after were crap. All the whole prices are steadily increasing.

I was really excited about the bordeaux drop because I have been really getting into huaraches lately. Both the Ogs and the Huarache Nm's. With the 7s having Huarache technology in them and being a major part of their design I was expecting a comfortable great fitting shoes but I was severely disappointed. Soles are stiff and hard compared to the huaraches and the classic neoprene sock/boot that made huaraches famous even feel like it's made out of the same material. Sorry for the long rant but it seems to me that JB approves of a budget on how much they want to spend per pair, per release. Some shoes are deforest better than others.

Back
Top Bottom