Quick Question vol. Ivy League Schools

What is it that makes them so desirable other than their exclusivity?

Is their education really that much better than a state school?

When you consider that when most people get out, they are hundreds of thousands in debt, is it really worth it?

BOTTOM LINE:

Are you just paying for the name and reputation, or elite education? 
nerd.gif

The name, reputation, and elite education get you far. You'll make a lot of connections and they'll put you in your place in the corporate world. You think a corporation would pick a regular state school student over a Harvard student?

to answer your bottom line question i would suspect a little of both. i dont go to one so i could be completely wrong though.
However, after graduating from a ivy league school your options are MUCH greater than someone who graduates from a state/UC/community college/whatever. Also, network and connections made at Ivy leagues can take you way farther than anywhere else

Your resume with a ivy league school perfects your future. You will find a job faster than anyone else

Originally Posted by Chrisphreezy

What is it that makes them so desirable other than their exclusivity?

Is their education really that much better than a state school?

When you consider that when most people get out, they are hundreds of thousands in debt, is it really worth it?

BOTTOM LINE:

Are you just paying for the name and reputation, or elite education? 
nerd.gif

This is how I know you don't know jack %@#%.

its easier to find a job of course. but after a while it your success depends on yourself not where you graduated from. Not to brag, but my dad and some of his friends graduated from memphis state (before it was just memphis) and still make a @#$% load more than most ivy league grads at their companies.

and on top of that, theres a number of people who get into these schools because of their parents/connections. This rich @#$ dude I know got accepted because of a 6 figure donation his dad (an alumni) made to the school
smh.gif
and this dude had a mediocre 3.0 gpa all throughout high school

Priceless.

I know 2 Harvard graduates, 30 credits of economics. They both land IB jobs w/ Barclay. Needless to say, fml.

lol
most people going to ivy league schools will NOT come out with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. myself included.

this is why:
most people going to ivy league schools have college educated parents who can afford ivy league schools
furthermore, ivy league schools have really big endowments and offer great financial aid packages to those who qualify/deserve them (me)

and of course you're getting a better education if the vast majority of people at the school are smart/want to be there/have parents who are paying hundreds of thousands to make sure their kids are getting a dope education

I heard that people who come from low imcome families or families who make less then $100,000 a year get a free education from them. And it doesnt hurt the school because usually those very same people donate back to the school once they get their careers. Is that true?

God I wish I was good enough for an Ivy League school
smh.gif

gives you great opportunities post graduation... opens doors most would never have opened for them.

The education is usually great. I know a girl at Harvard and from looking at her pictures from school you can tell the funding is there for them to experience different things. One of my uncles went to MIT also but hes never told me anything about his experience. I know that if your family makes under 60k you can go to any Ivy school (i think) for free.

Speak Up 23,

My main man goes to Harvard for free. Gates Scholarship, so I am not sure how much he got from the school. Dudes parents are doing ok tho, close to 100k I would say.
But duke deserves it. I remember the one B he got during HS.
laugh.gif
Dude act like he got an F.

I'm at Cornell, Paying nothing. When you factor in the cost of living and all my grants I'm getting about 1.5-2G's from them annually. It's just a different experience. The biggest wow factor is that old boy network... And a lot of these schools mingle with each other.

Well it's technically not an Ivy league, but my brother goes to SMU and he's made so many connections it's ridiculous.
His roommate's parents are worth over 200 mill.
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

its easier to find a job of course. but after a while it your success depends on yourself not where you graduated from. Not to brag, but my dad and some of his friends graduated from memphis state (before it was just memphis) and still make a @#$% load more than most ivy league grads at their companies.

and on top of that, theres a number of people who get into these schools because of their parents/connections. This rich @#$ dude I know got accepted because of a 6 figure donation his dad (an alumni) made to the school
smh.gif
and this dude had a mediocre 3.0 gpa all throughout high school

although there is some truth to what you are saying, you are taking data from such a small sample size (your dad and his friends) to validate your point. 

You are right when you say that ultimately success depends on what YOU do.  That being said, an Ivy League degree will open a lot more opportunities for you to showcase what you do so that you can move up that ladder.

not true, with the FA packages Ivies/Stanford have nowadays.
i actually would have paid more to attend Georgia Tech (a state school) than 2 of the Ivies i got into.

Back
Top Bottom