-Racist moment or am I overreacting? (Even though I didn't react at all)- Vol: You dont know me fam'

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

Originally Posted by prymone

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

Better call Al Sharpton, Quanell X, Jesse Jackson, Cousin Jeff, Soledad O'Brien, and contact the local NCAA chapter so we can march on the store and initiate a nationwide boycott. Such injustice has been suffered, I would even recommend legal action

indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

NAACP I mean. And I'm shocked we have gone this long without that one pic showing up.

You can read a person by how they are shoping. I don't see any problem. If he could tell you weren't interested in anything from afar then like you said, why not save you some time. Maybe he could've been more tactful but I don't see anything wrong.

reminds me of when me and my homeboy went to the liquor store a couple weeks ago...we bought some e&j and when we get to the counter this old white dude comes out the back and says, " You sure you dont want a bottle of peach ciroc too?"...he didnt ask anybody else that but us, so i assume ciroc is a black drink now
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Executive76

laugh.gif

This reminds me of whenever I walk in a shoe store and they're like "You know we got those Jordans that came out today"

Like do they go up to white folks like "we got those new Asics"
im white and i get told the same thing every dam time i walk in a shoe store
indifferent.gif

i feel like some of you want to be racially profiled and look for ways to call something racist.
and you dont know if he was being racist why couldnt you man up and ask for yourself why he asked if it really bothers you so bad to post it on NT

It sounds like he was ignorantly profiling you unless you were wearing something that suggested you were interested in basketball.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

But just because his grandfather went through things more severe doesn't mean what he just experienced should be ignored and shoved aside. It is that attitude that allows people to think they can say whatever the hell they want to say to anybody they chose.

And why, why, does someone who feels victimized have to be told to shutup and take it. Stop being sensitive. Why not look at the person that spoke words they shouldn't have said.

Dude, don't let this go by man.Dude KNEW what he was saying.

And you guys wonder why they continue to perpetuate black racial stereotypes in the media. You laugh at the little slick stuff they do and just brush it off like, "Oh nah, they didn't mean anything." You passive !$$ people are the reason why they feel comfortable coming out of their mouth with these slick remarks.

Originally Posted by a55a5in11

laugh.gif

This reminds me of whenever I walk in a shoe store and they're like "You know we got those Jordans that came out today"

indifferent.gif

i feel like some of you want to be racially profiled and look for ways to call something racist.
and you dont know if he was being racist why couldnt you man up and ask for yourself why he asked if it really bothers you so bad to post it on NT

So ignoring it and not causing a scene makes me less of a man? Oh

Originally Posted by DAYTONA 5000

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

But just because his grandfather went through things more severe doesn't mean what he just experienced should be ignored and shoved aside. It is that attitude that allows people to think they can say whatever the hell they want to say to anybody they chose.

And why, why, does someone who feels victimized have to be told to shutup and take it. Stop being sensitive. Why not look at the person that spoke words they shouldn't have said.

Dude, don't let this go by man.Dude KNEW what he was saying.

And you guys wonder why they continue to perpetuate black racial stereotypes in the media. You laugh at the little slick stuff they do and just brush it off like, "Oh nah, they didn't mean anything." You passive !$$ people are the reason why they feel comfortable coming out of their mouth with these slick remarks.
It depends on whether he was intentionally trying to be racist or whether he did so unintentionally. Neither case is acceptable, but how the situation should be approached is different in each scenario. 

Originally Posted by KayCurrency

Originally Posted by a55a5in11

laugh.gif

indifferent.gif

So ignoring it and not causing a scene makes me less of a man? Oh
when did i say to cause a scene. asking a question causes no scene unless you make it

DC I'm give you the numbers of all the brothers that call me "cholo" and "esay"
Handle that business for me
pimp.gif

Just curious... were you at any point actually scanning to see if there were any basketball shoes on the wall? 

I know that feel OP, I was grocery shopping at Trader Joe's and was mistaken for an employee.

Question. If you were hooping with a bunch of white guys and they picked you on their team first... would you be claiming it as being racist? Would you question their judgement?
I always ask other black guys if they shoot ball. Why? B/c I know that's something that most of us do.

If a tall, athletic guy of any other race would've gotten the same treatment, it would be "oh he just looks like he plays ball". But when a black guy looks like he plays ball, its a problem?
laugh.gif

Should he have said it? No. Is it an issue? Imo No.

if you were really offended then you would've said something.

Originally Posted by TeamJordan79

shoulda asked where the golf clubs were....
i think i see what you did there but not so sure...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Ruxxx

Originally Posted by prymone

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

Better call Al Sharpton, Quanell X, Jesse Jackson, Cousin Jeff, Soledad O'Brien, and contact the local NCAA chapter so we can march on the store and initiate a nationwide boycott. Such injustice has been suffered, I would even recommend legal action

indifferent.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

roll.gif

this dude

broseph people come at me with all kinds of racist side talk but as it was stated.. these people will eventually run into/say something to the wrong person. their ignorance is not my problem nor do I care to educate them.. I try but they just throw it right back in my face.

i'm the only brother at my current school.. so yeah.

me: i'm hungry

people: you want some fried chicken and watermelon?

i wear grey, brown or black.

people: whoa, where'd you go?

you name it, i've heard it. people stay dropping n-bombs like it's cool or something. I let a lot of it slide but damn these little hipsters use hella stereotypes when talking/dealing with me.

i say hello, how are you.. And they still come at me with some "WHADUP YO YO YO YO" bs.
indifferent.gif

I'm from atlanta, born and raised so I'm use to a certain level of arrogance/ignorance..

norcal.. what's really good with the hospitality?

Originally Posted by sooperhooper

Question. If you were hooping with a bunch of white guys and they picked you on their team first... would you be claiming it as being racist? Would you question their judgement?
I always ask other black guys if they shoot ball. Why? B/c I know that's something that most of us do.

If a tall, athletic guy of any other race would've gotten the same treatment, it would be "oh he just looks like he plays ball". But when a black guy looks like he plays ball, its a problem?
laugh.gif

Should he have said it? No. Is it an issue? Imo No.

if you were really offended then you would've said something.

Besides the fact that im 6'1, theres nothing I had on or said that says "hey this guy MUST be looking for basketball shoes!" The store is the size of a footlocker, its not huge like most Sports Authorities... And the mens portion of the shoe wall wasnt big at all, I knew exactly what I was looking at and I didnt have the "where the hell are the basketball shoes!?" look on my face. I was just standing there with a pair of Nike sweatpants that I was purchasing draped over my forearm looking at the shoes

Originally Posted by supa vegetto

broseph people come at me with all kinds of racist side talk but as it was stated.. these people will eventually run into/say something to the wrong person. their ignorance is not my problem nor do I care to educate them.. I try but they just throw it right back in my face.

i'm the only brother at my current school.. so yeah.

Sounds like they don't respect you son. I guarantee they're not that wreckless w/ other blacks.

you name it, i've heard it. people stay dropping n-bombs like it's cool or something. I let a lot of it slide but damn these little hipsters use hella stereotypes when talking/dealing with me.

i say hello, how are you.. And they still come at me with some "WHADUP YO YO YO YO" bs.
indifferent.gif

I'm from atlanta, born and raised so I'm use to a certain level of arrogance/ignorance..

norcal.. what's really good with the hospitality?

Sounds like they don't respect you son. I guarantee they're not that wreckless w/ other blacks.

Originally Posted by supa vegetto

you name it, i've heard it. people stay dropping n-bombs like it's cool or something.

I'm guilty of doing this.
laugh.gif

Unfortunately, some people are still not very good at interacting with people of other races, either because they're not used to it, overcompensating, nervous, have lingering prejudices, or are just flat-out racist. In every situation, whether someone is being racist or otherwise offensive, you have to judge the situation for yourself, because only you know how it truly makes you feel. If you felt like what he said was inappropriate to the level where you should have said something, then you should have said something. If not, then not. But there's no rule that says EVERY racist (or sexist, or offensive) comment has a prescribed response. The world is not that black and white (see what I did there).

That all said, it seems somewhat likely that the guy made the presumptive comment based on your race, but it also sounds like he was trying to be friendly and connect with you. He just did it in kind of an ignorant way. Should you be offended? If it actually offended you, you have absolutely every right to be. But to go back and make something of this would probably do more harm than good.

Back
Top Bottom