Rap About Nothing: Hip Hop Chat Thread

I was cool with Drake's background up until he started this Canadian mob boss/trap Drake thing. 2009-12 he never really acted tough.

Nothing wrong with growing up in a great neighborhood but now you telling Dot he never shot or stabbed anybody? Dot is actually from a well known hood full of crips and bloods and you grew up in a neighborhood full of Jews and Jews??

This is what happens when popularity>everything. When somebody's popular people let them say anything unchecked.

I was cool with Drake's background up until he started this Canadian mob boss/trap Drake thing. 2009-12 he never really acted tough.

Nothing wrong with growing up in great neighborhood but now you telling Dot he never shot or stabbed anybody? Dot is actually from a well known hood full of crips and bloods and you grew up in a neighborhood full of Jews and Jews??

This is what happens when popularity>everything. When somebody's popular people let them say anything unchecked.
Drake just don’t know K. Dot could really have him uncomfortable in Cali.

Christ, I hope this doesn't turn into blatant antisemitism. Hopefully Kendrick drops before the conspiracy theorist camp that uses terms like "Industry plant" like it's a single, all-powerful person selecting someone out of obscurity to fit "their" "script" run completely wild.

Antisemitism? Blatant?

XNFpoSu.jpeg

Christ, I hope this doesn't turn into blatant antisemitism. Hopefully Kendrick drops before the conspiracy theorist camp that uses terms like "Industry plant" like it's a single, all-powerful person selecting someone out of obscurity to fit "their" "script" run completely wild.

Define antisemitism

Define antisemitism

1713918199925.png

When it goes from "I don't understand how this guy who looks safe and makes generic pop-hip-hop that I don't like is so successful" to "he's an industry plant that was pre-selected by his Jewish brothers in the ownership class to outsell all other artists in the genre". It may not be blatant, but the inference is that there is something fishy going on with this group of people that is "other" to me.

1713918199925.png

When it goes from "I don't understand how this guy who looks safe and makes generic pop-hip-hop that I don't like is so successful" to "he's an industry plant that was pre-selected by his Jewish brothers in the ownership class to outsell all other artists in the genre". It may not be blatant, but the inference is that there is something fishy going on with this group of people that is "other" to me.

Did you listen to the initial tweet where Drake himself said Jewish people was approaching him telling him how big he's gonna be and the extra support and "we've never seen this"?

To deny that he's gotten a extra boost due to his background and playing both sides is just naive. Has nothing to do with antisemitism.

Rosenberg literally said the Jewish community was going to piggyback on Drake for being devout. Told Drake to his face you don’t understand how big you’re about to be for this interview. I don’t see how stating what’s right if front of us is antisemitism. I wish my black people had the power that Jewish people do in the entertainment business but we don’t and I don’t think it’s wrong to point out that we’re at the bottom of the entertainment totem pole and Jewish people are at the top.

I see Drake as a 1 of 1 type dude from a marketing perspective.

He was getting shopped and no one was signing him.

That J. Prince and forthcoming Wayne connection gave him that “cool” factor.

I don’t think it’s crazy to say that him being bi racial is a big benefit

He’s black so he has an automatic foot in to the culture. He Jewish so it’s possible that he’d receive favor in that right.

Industry plant is extreme in my opinion.

Did you listen to the initial tweet where Drake himself said Jewish people was approaching him telling him how big he's gonna be and the extra support and "we've never seen this"?

To deny that he's gotten a extra boost due to his background and playing both sides is just naive. Has nothing to do with antisemitism.

Climbing the ladder (in any business) is VERY much about connections and relationships. The connotation is dismissive of other factors and just leads down a weird road. Nothing is that simplistic, and "a extra boost" is different than "that's why he can't be defeated". When it is presented as a couple sentences in a tweet it's hard to not see it as the sole reasoning rather than framing it as a component of a larger story.

Also, are there super-famous musicians in other genres that are even Jewish or that face the same scrutiny that they are only or largely successful because of how their Jewish heritage gave them an advantage? Maybe the competitive nature of hip-hop and the need to proclaim yourself as the baddest MC who's pen can be touched by nobody, and stan culture in general, just breeds the feeling in the public that they need to dig down and find devious explanations for the success of these stars? I've never heard anyone say to like Paul Simon, "Hey, you may be one of the greatest songwriters ever, but the only reason you're successful is because you're Jewish and the Jewish CEO of some record label selected you to be successful".

I think the biracial aspect is a bigger indicator of dudes success than anyone is willing to acknowledge. Wayne’s manger Tez talked about discovering dude and mentioned him being fair skinned as the cherry on top of rapping & singing. Imo if Drake isn’t fairer skinned without the ability to straddle the line between black and white he wouldn’t be as big as he is. That’s just my thinkpiece tho.

I think the biracial aspect is a bigger indicator of dudes success than anyone is willing to acknowledge. Wayne’s manger Tez talked about discovering dude and mentioned him being fair skinned as the cherry on top of rapping & singing. Imo if Drake isn’t fairer skinned without the ability to straddle the line between black and white he wouldn’t be as big as he is. That’s just my thinkpiece tho.
If I was black, I woulda sold half - Em

Race and colorism are and will always be a thing

Not following this bs but I’m so confused... Drake claimed Ross is racist for calling him white boy? And alleging he got a nose job to look less like his black dad? And somehow that’s antisemitic?

I hate what the game has become.

Climbing the ladder (in any business) is VERY much about connections and relationships. The connotation is dismissive of other factors and just leads down a weird road. Nothing is that simplistic, and "a extra boost" is different than "that's why he can't be defeated". When it is presented as a couple sentences in a tweet it's hard to not see it as the sole reasoning rather than framing it as a component of a larger story.

Also, are there super-famous musicians in other genres that are even Jewish or that face the same scrutiny that they are only or largely successful because of how their Jewish heritage gave them an advantage? Maybe the competitive nature of hip-hop and the need to proclaim yourself as the baddest MC who's pen can be touched by nobody, and stan culture in general, just breeds the feeling in the public that they need to dig down and find devious explanations for the success of these stars? I've never heard anyone say to like Paul Simon, "Hey, you may be one of the greatest songwriters ever, but the only reason you're successful is because you're Jewish and the Jewish CEO of some record label selected you to be successful".

Again... He had companies, big business helping him in a rap battle. A rap battle. I'm being nice by saying extra boost. All this talk about him having the best deal in music history.

You telling us that's cuz he's so much greater and smarter than every other rapper?

Back
Top Bottom