Real Talk...How good of a cardio workout is hoopin??

really...how good of a cardio workout is playing basketball?? Im talking about running full court games...and actually running..not walking up and down the court...actaully moving on defense, etc...for a good 2.5-3 hours....is it as good as running on a treadmill...better???

yeeah, i think its better... plus it's not as boring, which is the biggest plus of all. running on the treadmill or elliptical is the worst.. lol

If you're going to play basketball regardless for that long i'd say thats a good workout. If you're looking for efficiency thats not the best way to burn calories or fat.

If you're looking for efficiency thats not the best way to burn calories or fat.
so all the added jumping....speed bursts...etc isnt doing as much as running on a treadmill??

It is what you make it.
You will burn calories regardless. Breathing burns calories,sitting burns calories. You jogging/running up the court and jumping etc. Is a great way to burn calories because essentially it's "fun". If you want good cardio, it's up to you to make it good cardio.

Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by marath0n

Cardio wise, 3 hours playing basketball = 30 min on the treadmill.
roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

3 hours of a constant workout will never equal 30 minutes of  constant running, unless your carrying some weights and are going uphill and that's a big maybe.

It's a good cardio workout, especially playing full court games.

But who honestly is going to hoop more than 1 day a week?

It would definitely benefit you if you play at least twice a week or more.

But who honestly is going to hoop more than 1 day a week?

i play about 4 times a week.....trying to play everyday

i think it can be awesome only if you fully sprint down the court every possession but that is where the problem lies--not all possessions are fast break so i suggest you play like ray allen and try to spring past screens non stop.

3 hours of a constant workout will never equal 30 minutes of  constant running, unless your carrying some weights and are going uphill and that's a big maybe.
so you are saying constnat workout > constant running?

Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoy12

so you are saying constnat workout > constant running?

both are great but doing something that requires so many different parts of your body will burn more calories.
You want to do something that works out all of your muscles,but there are a couple of factors that play into it.
If you're looking for a great workout that burns more calories than running,and focuses on several different muscles
take up swimming.

Originally Posted by raptors29

Basketball is anaerobic. Isn't cardio aerobic?
It depends.
Sprinting in basketball is anaerobic but you can quickly recover and it can become aerobic

With cardio it relies on a lot of factors. Short distance running is  usually anaerobic, while long distance needs to be aerobic.

both are great but doing something that requires so many different parts of your body will burn more calories.
You want to do something that works out all of your muscles,but there are a couple of factors that play into it.
If you're looking for a great workout that burns more calories than running,and focuses on several different muscles
take up swimming.

so...in a nutshell...playing ball is a good overall cardio workout, because it utilizes many different parts of the body?

Originally Posted by TheRealMcCoy12

take up swimming.
so...in a nutshell...playing ball is a good overall cardio workout, because it utilizes many different parts of the body?

Yes. You should burn at least 600-800 calories in 3 hours.

Originally Posted by axel f0ley

I read that basketball is second behind swimming in terms of sports as exercise.

Swimming is amazing. If you swim about 7,000-10,000 yards that's like 2,000 calories burned minimum.

Back
Top Bottom