Real Talk...How good of a cardio workout is hoopin??

Originally Posted by newmoanyuh

Swimming is amazing. If you swim about 7,000-10,000 yards that's like 2,000 calories burned minimum.

the average person isnt going to swim 5 miles during a workout.
laugh.gif

The average person isn't going to play bball 3-4 times a week either.

Unless, you are really committed to utilizing each as a workout.

Playing basketball full court is a great cardio workout. It really depends on what type of player you are though. A lazy, cherry picking, 3 point shooter like myself won't get too much out of it, but if you're dedicated to playing an overall floor game with good defense, it ranks up there with activities that are a good cardio work out. In general, running up and down the court along with jumping for rebounds and playing defense is a wonderful workout. I've seen many people drop a lot of weight just from running full court 3-4 times a week.You just can't be lazy and take plays off if you want results.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

yeah but im saying you cant just step into a pool and swim those distances.
laugh.gif

I get you.

I don't do swimming or basketball as form of exercise, I guess from my point of view, I see them as fun activities.
laugh.gif

But they're effective as staying active, if you choose.

nobody really plays 2 hours straight

you have to take a lot of breaks in between unless you play zero defense and only shoot spot up jumpers

an average person will probably only last 2 min of basketball if they go all out rajon rondo style

To add my two cents, basketball utilizes the body's two anaerobic energy systems. Due to the frequent stops and lots of explosive movements, if you are going all out and playing "real" basketball (and not cherry-picking and being lazy as mentioned earlier) then you are not getting a good cardio workout.

However, basketball is a great workout and it is fun. The only way to truly get a cardio workout, surprisingly, is to do aerobic types of workouts.
Yes, this does mean straight running, biking, or swimming.

last year when i was trying lose weight, i would hoop on my non cardio/lifting days, and it was great plus.

Back
Top Bottom