Recent College Grad Trying Find A Job

I find it very frustrating that every job i apply for requires some form of long term experience(I got my bachelors in information systems BTW) yet how are u suppose to gain experience fresh out of college if no one will hire you and give you your first oppurtunity.I completed a three month internship during college and graduate dwith 3.3 Gpa. I just had to take a job not making much more then i did during my internship. Its rough out here...anyone else go through this?

I don't think that many college grads are going through this

I think it's just you and seven other people experiencing this

Not picking on you, but have you been paying any attention to the news the past couple years?

A lot of people are unemployed. So entry level jobs are going to be filled by people with more experience, leaving college grads with no experience left out. Yeah it sucks.. if every job requires experience, then how do you get that first job. Keep applying, keep working where you can, talk to any contacts you've made, ask anyone you know, try every possibility, not much more you can do.

That's what I changed my major too. What city are you in btw?
I used to be an EE major and I live in a major engineering city, it's hard finding a job but there are plenty of engineering ones. I've been lookign for a new co-op all semester in IS but can't find one at all.
I have like 2-3 years worth of government experience but it's engineering related
ohwell.gif

where are you located? i dont know if its just the silicon valley, but there are A LOT of job openings over here, in IT, business, and engineering.

if you expected to be handed a job after college w/ only one internship, think again.

You need to network. The way the job market is now you really have to know the right people if you want the right job. It sucks but it is what it is. So build your network.

You're basically an IT grad complaining about the job market?
tired.gif
Try being an overeducated liberal arts grad and you'll know what it's like to feel wronged. Disgraceful.
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by qnumber25

I find it very frustrating that every job i apply for requires some form of long term experience(I got my bachelors in information systems BTW) yet how are u suppose to gain experience fresh out of college if no one will hire you and give you your first oppurtunity.I completed a three month internship during college and graduate dwith 3.3 Gpa. I just had to take a job not making much more then i did during my internship. Its rough out here...anyone else go through this?
Herman Cain says that you should blame yourself for failing to get a job. 

But for real, it's tough out here, experienced people who graduated years ago can't find jobs.  Keep your head up, it takes time.  Even when the economy was better, most graduates very first job sucks.  It's not about where you start, it's about where you finish.

i feel you man. i graduated with a degree in computer information systems as well. i think the thing about this particular major is that it does't necessarily train you with technical skills that employers are looking for nowadays. the cis degree focuses on the bigger picture so jobs we are tailored for include business analyst, project manager, etc and its hard for employers to trust new grads with heavy positions such as those. its tough out there man and im in the same exact position as you. just accepted a job that doesn't pay much more than my previous internship although my internship paid higher than average (18/hr).

on the bright side, im truly thankful for even landing a position paying as much as it is. gotta start somewhere and work your way up. be thankful for that much fam.

btw whats your title now? if you dont mind me asking.

Go find that College Conspiracy documentary on youtube....it might clear a few things up for you

My economics professor tells us every week, it's been the worst time for recent grads to get a job in 20 something years.  It's rough out there.  Something like 27% can't find employment straight out of school.

Originally Posted by discombobulated jack

i feel you man. i graduated with a degree in computer information systems as well. i think the thing about this particular major is that it does't necessarily train you with technical skills that employers are looking for nowadays. the cis degree focuses on the bigger picture so jobs we are tailored for include business analyst, project manager, etc and its hard for employers to trust new grads with heavy positions such as those. its tough out there man and im in the same exact position as you. just accepted a job that doesn't pay much more than my previous internship although my internship paid higher than average (18/hr).

on the bright side, im truly thankful for even landing a position paying as much as it is. gotta start somewhere and work your way up. be thankful for that much fam.

What do you think of combing a MIS major with either a minor in CS or math?

It's moot point now, but I always suggest to people who are entering college that their 3 primary goals are:
1. Networking

2. Internships

3. Bachelors

And yes, in that order. I told my cousin the other day that bachelor's are a dime a dozen and if you have a half a brain you'll be able to acquire one. But being able to network with people who are in the same industry and getting some type of experience in your field (outside a classroom) is vital.

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Originally Posted by discombobulated jack

What do you think of combing a MIS major with either a minor in CS or math?

i think an MIS degree with a minor in CS would be good only because then youll exposed to some languages that employers are looking for. what ive noticed is that the most important thing employers are searching for is proficiency in basic programming languages (C++, C#, JAVA) and/or SQL experience. if you have the ability and time to study that, you definitely should. its super useful knowledge in the IT world.

i personally majored with a CIS degree with a minor in Economics just to round out the business aspect of CIS. my econ minor helped me tremendously in getting my foot in the door for interviews at financial software companies. to each his own really. if you think you can handle a CS or math minor and you enjoy it, then definitely go for it. just dont go for a stupid usefull minor like underwater basket weaving because. contrary to popular belief, a minor DOES make a difference in landing a fulltime position.

Thats why Im picking a major with a high job getting rate. Sorry to hear that though man

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Not picking on you, but have you been paying any attention to the news the past couple years?

A lot of people are unemployed. So entry level jobs are going to be filled by people with more experience, leaving college grads with no experience left out. Yeah it sucks.. if every job requires experience, then how do you get that first job. Keep applying, keep working where you can, talk to any contacts you've made, ask anyone you know, try every possibility, not much more you can do.

Sound advice right there.

Times are rough as a fellow MIS major all I gotta say is network and try to learn as much as you can now that you have time?  I don't know your finances but you might have to bite the bullet and get something you might feel is "beneath you" just to get your foot in the door.  Try learning some new skills maybe some programming or networking maybe try getting a cert or two if you want to get into that side of the IT business.  You have to make some connections because sadly it is who you know sometimes more than what you know, just try and take advantage of this time and maybe pad the resume' with more skills that can make you more desirable.

Back
Top Bottom